PDA

View Full Version : Site connection issues!

SGT Rock
2011-11-24, 17:49
I have been off the site for over 24 hours. At first I thought the server was down, but that turned out to not be the case. Then I thought it was an ISP issue which also wasn't the case. Other members contacted me through hammockforums.net and reported the same issue.

After a bunch of frustrating work today, I finally found out the cause of the issue. If you have a Netgear router (other routers may be affected, but this is the only brand I have found so far) there is a setting in the router that prevents you from accessing certain sites. This could apply to other sites besides this one. Here is the fix:

1. Access your router control panel by going to 198.161.1.1 in your favorite browser. It will ask you for username and password. Unless you changed it, they are "admin" and "password".

2. Once you are in, go to "Basic Settings". On my system it is in a menu on the left side of the page near the top.

3. Somewhere in there, you will find a selection that says "Router MAC Address" under that, it should be set at the default "Use Default Address"

4. Change that to "Use This MAC Address", and it will fill in the address it wants to use (you shouldn't have to dream that out of the blue). Apply that change.

5. After that you will probably have to restart your modem and router. Things should work better after that.

I don't know why this is, but it is. Anyone that knows, please tell me.

I'm putting this up so you can copy, paste it to anyone you know that may contact you asking if HikingHQ is down.

Thanks.

Tin Man
2011-11-24, 19:15
Weird. I was wondering wtf. My phone works, but none of my office or home computers can get on. They both connect through netgear routers. I will see about why, really weird.

Tin Man
2011-11-24, 19:30
At a relatives and my wifi tablet works fine through their older wgt624 netgear. They forget the admin password and none of the usual default passwords work, so i cant check settings. Cant wait to get home and screw up my network. :-)

SGT Rock
2011-11-24, 20:01
Dixie went out and bought a new router for me to try. It worked OK for a little bit, then crashed out hard and wouldn't log onto the internet at all. WTF?

Tin Man
2011-11-24, 20:18
Make and model? Cable or dsl?

SGT Rock
2011-11-24, 20:22
Cable modem. It is working fine. The new router that didn't work is a Linksys E1200 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Linksys-E1200-Wireless-N-Router/16401813

Tin Man
2011-11-24, 20:31
Thats a decent router. Sometimes you have to do the following:

1. Connect pc direct to modem and browse the internet.
2. Connect same pc to router where router is not connected to modem yet and go into router config, click clone mac address of pc to router.
3. Connect router to modem and it should work now.

SGT Rock
2011-11-24, 20:47
I'll try that in a couple of days.I'm tired of screwing with it tonight

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

rhjanes
2011-11-25, 12:58
I was on Thanksgiving morning (maybe 9 or 10 AM CST). No issues. I'm on Fios and use their router, which DID go down, but I turned it off, unplugged it, and take off the cable (per Fios instructions), wait 10 seconds, reconnected and right back on.
I'm using Wireless off it now.

Tin Man
2011-11-25, 19:06
Well, none of the tips here worked. A tracert appears to fail at the server isp. I wonder if their router thinks netgear routers are some sort of denial of service attack or something. Weird.

Hog On Ice
2011-11-25, 19:15
what seemed to have worked for me was to power down the router/modem overnight then in the morning things seem to be back to normal

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-25, 19:57
Had to manually type in my mac address for it to work on a Vonage router.

Crikey
2011-11-25, 21:12
I'm on a hotel wireless right now, no problem - obviously.

It's a ValuePoint Networks Gateway Controller 3550.

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-25, 22:08
Just wondering why everything was fine up until a few days ago.......

I've had this router for at least two years.

Superman
2011-11-25, 22:13

Blame it on RH.:angel:

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-25, 22:18
Well, for what it's worth, the server was blocking my pings before changing the mac address in the router. Now I can ping it fine.

So it sounds like the firewall to the server is blocking it for whatever reason, which it shouldn't, because what about people who come here for the first time. Anyone without those changes is going to be blocked.

That ain't right. I'd definately take it up with whoever hosts the site.

SGT Rock
2011-11-25, 22:34
I sent them an e-mail yesterday.

Big Mac
2011-11-25, 23:18
I'm connecting fine from Holiday Inn Express. :albertein

SGT Rock
2011-11-26, 04:41
Smartass.

Hog On Ice
2011-11-26, 08:42
well all that edjumacation had to go somewhere

Tin Man
2011-11-26, 09:43

Ditto. If it was one or possibly two of us, I could understand router issues on our end. The webhosting company must have updated an unfriendly network patch or something. A tracert gets to nearly to the end of the route before failing on singlehop.net, which is a hop prior to justhost.

I had a devil of a time with my network. After trying a number of things, I finally found a mac address that worked.

SGT Rock
2011-11-26, 20:07
I just sent the server company another support ticket. I attached a couple of traceroutes from you guys that have run some for me while experiencing the issue. Thanks for that.

SGT Rock
2011-11-26, 22:58
OK, now they want WAN IP addresses of anyone that cannot get on the site. You can get your WAN IP address by going to this site: www.wanipaddress.com

What I am not sure how to do is get this request to people that cannot read access this site in the first place.

Hog On Ice
2011-11-26, 23:33
well I don't know if that will help any in my case since its a dynamic addr and almost surely a different addr than when I was having the issue - WAN addr sent by PM

hummmm - I bet changing the MAC also results in a changed dynamic WAN IP addr - was there anyone who had the problem that did not have a dynamic addr?

Tin Man
2011-11-27, 00:34
well I don't know if that will help any in my case since its a dynamic addr and almost surely a different addr than when I was having the issue - WAN addr sent by PM

hummmm - I bet changing the MAC also results in a changed dynamic WAN IP addr - was there anyone who had the problem that did not have a dynamic addr?

yes, my office has a fixed ip and i could not fix it there when i tried on friday

Kanga
2011-11-27, 12:45
Well if'n you people spoke English, I could tell you my settings/whatever. Anyhoo, before I went hiking, I could get on fine from home (netgear wireless hookies) and from work (T1/LAN) but I couldn't get on from my iPhone unless I turned on the wifi on it and hooked into my home internets thingermabob. Works fine now on iPhone. I'm sure this won't help at all.

Nearly Normal
2011-11-27, 16:24
I have been off the site for over 24 hours. At first I thought the server was down, but that turned out to not be the case. Then I thought it was an ISP issue which also wasn't the case. Other members contacted me through hammockforums.net and reported the same issue.

After a bunch of frustrating work today, I finally found out the cause of the issue. If you have a Netgear router (other routers may be affected, but this is the only brand I have found so far) there is a setting in the router that prevents you from accessing certain sites. This could apply to other sites besides this one. Here is the fix:

1. Access your router control panel by going to 198.161.1.1 in your favorite browser. It will ask you for username and password. Unless you changed it, they are "admin" and "password".

2. Once you are in, go to "Basic Settings". On my system it is in a menu on the left side of the page near the top.

3. Somewhere in there, you will find a selection that says "Router MAC Address" under that, it should be set at the default "Use Default Address"

4. Change that to "Use This MAC Address", and it will fill in the address it wants to use (you shouldn't have to dream that out of the blue). Apply that change.

5. After that you will probably have to restart your modem and router. Things should work better after that.

I don't know why this is, but it is. Anyone that knows, please tell me.

I'm putting this up so you can copy, paste it to anyone you know that may contact you asking if HikingHQ is down.

Thanks.

....not working

SGT Rock
2011-11-27, 19:42
....not working

Then how did you get on? If you ain't getting on with one system please send me the WAN IP (If you haven't already) so I can send that to the tech support guys.

SGT Rock
2011-11-27, 23:16
I just got back word from my host. Apparently all the IPs that I got from users with connection issues were blocked because of too many log in's from those IP addresses. They have all been unblocked. They also stated that they regularly block IP addresses with many different log in attempts as a way to protect their server from attacks. It probably means I will have to change my hosting company since having to go back and get them to unblock legitimate users all the time seems like something stupid to have to go through. No telling how many users still cannot get on the site here and tell me they need the site un-blocked for them, and no telling when some of us will get blocked again.

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-27, 23:20
I just got back word from my host. Apparently all the IPs that I got from users with connection issues were blocked because of too many log in's from those IP addresses. They have all been unblocked. They also stated that they regularly block IP addresses with many different log in attempts as a way to protect their server from attacks. It probably means I will have to change my hosting company since having to go back and get them to unblock legitimate users all the time seems like something stupid to have to go through. No telling how many users still cannot get on the site here and tell me they need the site un-blocked for them, and no telling when some of us will get blocked again.

That makes no sense.

However, I have noticed periodically, even though I saved my password for log in, it periodically asks me to log in again.

Lugnut
2011-11-27, 23:23

So it was our fault for logging on too often? That fucking Superman should have been blocked a year ago! :albertein

Hog On Ice
2011-11-27, 23:44

can't the server tell the difference between successful login and a failed attempt - I can see blocking the failed attempts if they reach some number of failures but the successful logins should get a pass

Weary
2011-11-28, 00:07
Well, after a week of being blocked, this is just to say, I'm back -- at least on part of the campfire. Thanks for all the effort, Rock.

SGT Rock
2011-11-28, 02:12
can't the server tell the difference between successful login and a failed attempt - I can see blocking the failed attempts if they reach some number of failures but the successful logins should get a pass

What they see is another log in attempt from an IP they believe is malicious. They see blocking it as a success.

I just sent a complaint to my host:

To whom this may concern,

Before I start, let me say that until this last week I've been VERY happy with justhost.com and the service you guys provide. I've even recommended your service to other people and organizations. I was also about to move a website here for a non-profit I work with as their webmaster.

But in the last week I have been experiencing issues getting onto my own site. I finally resolved this issue myself because the support staff could only tell me site was up, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get onto it. Then their next "solution" was to blame it on my ISP, it had to be something in their backbone.

It turns out the problem was my IP being banned from my own server, by Justhost!

Add to this situation the fact that suddenly not only was I banned from my own site, but many, many users that were coming to it daily were also banned from it. But they didn't know what the problem was, to them it appeared my site was simply off-line. Your support staff finally figured out that these people's IPs were being banned by the servers and had me submit a list of IPs from these users so their IPs could be cleared to come back in. The obvious problem with this FIX is that this only fixed the users that I know are having issues, and that I have been able to communicate with via third party sites. This doesn't prevent them from being banned again, or logging into a new IP on their next connection to the internet - which may also already be banned. I also have no idea of knowing how many new users and/or customers cannot get to the site and will quit trying out of frustration.

The answer I was given was:
"I have just checked and almost all of these IPs was blocked. Usually it happens when there are too many connections from that IP to server services.
We allow 50 parallel connections from one IP. This is regular practice and cannot be changed."

I have hosted other websites in the past. I've been running websites for about 15 years now and have NEVER seen anything like this where users are being arbitrarily denied access to the site in the numbers I've experienced in the previous week. And what I can infer from this "solution" is it will continue to happen with my justhost.com service. Apparently I'll have to start a website on another server company just to allow people who cannot get onto the site to communicate the problem with me so I can ask your service department to un-ban their current IPs and allow them access until the system does it to them again.

If I have to go through all that, what I really need to do is move to a different host company.

What I hope is there is something going wrong here and it can be fixed so this doesn't become the norm. Until last week I haven't had a complaint about justhost.com service. I moved here from another company because they regularly had up-time issues and were slow to fix them. I would rather stay here and not have this recent problem become the norm.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam here. Hopefully we can work this out.

Nearly Normal
2011-11-28, 05:51
Then how did you get on? If you ain't getting on with one system please send me the WAN IP (If you haven't already) so I can send that to the tech support guys.

Work, home don't...

Tin Man
2011-11-28, 07:12
Interesting Rock. So basically they are saying if your website is successful, we don't want you hosting here. Wow!

Bearpaw
2011-11-28, 07:39
I'm on at school, but home was not working as of about midnight last night.

ed bell
2011-11-28, 09:09
I'm back on and running smoothly.....

Lugnut
2011-11-28, 09:33
I have always stayed logged in. The only time I do log in again is when I erase all my cookies. It must be a low number threshold.

Kanga
2011-11-28, 09:45
Hey rock. Now I'm blocked at work. Can you unblock me please?

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 09:49
What they see is another log in attempt from an IP they believe is malicious. They see blocking it as a success.

I just sent a complaint to my host:

Again, how many people are coming here who have never been here that are thinking the website is closed because it shows a "Could not Find" page?

Kanga
2011-11-28, 09:50
WAN IP sent

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 09:56
I wouldn't post that online. Erase it and send it via PM

dixicritter
2011-11-28, 10:28
I wouldn't post that online. Erase it and send it via PM

Taken care of. :wink:

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 10:30
Thanks, Dixi.

dixicritter
2011-11-28, 10:32
No problem!

FYI y'all, we can't unblock anyone from our end of this. We have to send a list to the host, and then THEY unblock the IP's. Wish this wasn't the case!!! Been researching for a new host all morning.

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 10:37
No problem!

FYI y'all, we can't unblock anyone from our end of this. We have to send a list to the host, and then THEY unblock the IP's. Wish this wasn't the case!!! Been researching for a new host all morning.

Check out http://www.netnation.com.

Pretty reasonable prices for linux setups.

Never have an issue, they have 24/7 tech support and have only been down once in ten years for a whopping total of one day.

SGT Rock
2011-11-28, 11:47
Work, home don't...

Give me the IP of the one that doesn't work.

BTW, this is total BS.:banghead:

SGT Rock
2011-11-28, 12:07
Interesting Rock. So basically they are saying if your website is successful, we don't want you hosting here. Wow!

Yes. total BS

http://www.plognark.com/Art/Sketches/Blogsketches/2007/kingofinternet.jpg

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-28, 12:47
Works from home again Top...wheew this stuf is pure FM (friggin magic) to me.

Cuffs
2011-11-28, 14:02
WAN IP sent to Dixi on FB

Jester
2011-11-28, 15:07
I'm back! Rock & MonkeyBoy -- thanks! Everybody else -- my condolences.

sheepdog
2011-11-28, 15:14
Glad to be back. Thanks for the hard work Rock and Dixi!!

SGT Rock
2011-11-28, 15:24
There is a host company called "Fat Cow" http://www.fatcow.com/fatcow/special-promo.bml?offer=CR&LinkName=14156409

I don't know how good they are (they were listed as one of the top 12 this year) but I really like the name!

Hog On Ice
2011-11-28, 15:44
fat cow ... big tits

the association is obvious

Bearpaw
2011-11-28, 16:29
Back on at home! Thanks Rock. It's good to be back. :beer:

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 16:31
I'm back! Rock & MonkeyBoy -- thanks! Everybody else -- my condolences.

Don't blame me for getting you back on....... :)

Wonder
2011-11-28, 17:41
WooHoo!!! I've got HQ back! Having to talk to real people was getting old

Big Mac
2011-11-28, 17:47
I'm not connecting from work. Bastards don't make it easy to find the WAN IP. Any ideas?

Lugnut
2011-11-28, 17:51
I'm not connecting from work. Bastards don't make it easy to find the WAN IP. Any ideas?

Get another job? :angel:

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 18:04
http://www.whatismyip.com

Big Mac
2011-11-28, 18:14
Get another job? :angel:

Thinking seriously on that one.

Big Mac
2011-11-28, 18:15
http://www.whatismyip.com

They have that site blocked.

dixicritter
2011-11-28, 18:25

Did you try www.wanipaddress.com ?

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-28, 19:18
http://checkip.dyndns.org/

Tin Man
2011-11-28, 21:25
don't laugh, this is a great hosting company... http://www.hostgator.com/

SGT Rock
2011-11-29, 08:23
I got another e-mail from the company telling me that this is normal that sometimes users get blocked because the might be a DDoS attack. But their whole process is automated so apparently they don't give a shit.

FUCK JustHost.com

Kanga
2011-11-29, 08:58
Praise God and pass the ammunition!

Crikey
2011-11-29, 10:01
I got another e-mail from the company telling me that this is normal that sometimes users get blocked because the might be a DDoS attack. But their whole process is automated so apparently they don't give a shit.

FUCK JustHost.com

Tell them they need to get another backbone provider other than AOL.

SGT Rock
2011-11-29, 10:32
The fucksticks just told me that their system will not ban anyone for no reason. That people banned must have had at least 50 simultaneous connections to the site opened at once to get on their banned list. He suggested that we all have viruses and malware.

That is preposterous.

It looks like Thursday the site may be down a while as I move servers. I don't know where exactly I am moving to, but this is total bullshit. No one on that end has even checked to see if something over there is screwed up. I guess we are all just dumbasses.

Crikey
2011-11-29, 10:55
In these situations, somebody made a change, and either nobody can figure it out or it's so stupid they won't admit it.

SGT Rock
2011-11-29, 10:59
I take option 2

Crikey
2011-11-29, 10:59
BTW, I will never do it as karma's a bitch, but I could show them what a true DOS attack really is.

Weary
2011-11-29, 11:12
The fucksticks just told me that their system will not ban anyone for no reason. That people banned must have had at least 50 simultaneous connections to the site opened at once to get on their banned list. He suggested that we all have viruses and malware....
If i have a virus or malware, it's something that neither Norton 360 nor spy sweeper can find. The only thing Norton has found lately is spy sweeper, which it likes to shut down.

SGT Rock
2011-11-29, 11:21
I highly doubt we all got infected last week and performed a DDoS against them. Some of the people banned are inside a tight corporate network. When I had problems last week I immediately checked because it sort of reminded me of a DNS hijack I saw once.

No, the problem is they did something they cannot explain or do not want to.

I just signed up for a new host after reading lots of reviews. The site may be running slow today as I do a test back-up of this site in anticipation of a move. We may transfer over earlier.

Big Mac
2011-11-29, 11:25
Did you try www.wanipaddress.com ?

That one worked. Sending to you via PM.

Kanga
2011-11-29, 11:52
hey rock and dixi - got a message from d'art. he's locked out. i told him to email you here with his IP address.

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-11-29, 13:16
I highly doubt we all got infected last week and performed a DDoS against them.

No, the problem is they did something they cannot explain or do not want to.

The site may be running slow today as I do a test back-up of this site in anticipation of a move. We may transfer over earlier.

Yup, dang Trojans got right past my Kaspersky (and firewalls) even though it is updated daily and scanned weekly...NOT! I could see one member having issues and the system reacting but most (not all) of us and it started suddenly? I hold that someone pushed the big red button by mistake. What they are saying is they don't really want your business Rock and it sounds like you got the message loud and clear. As to slow, your server is always slow from this end. Maybe the new server will be quicker.

Crikey
2011-11-29, 13:20
I hold that someone pushed the big red button by mistake.

Yeah, the power button on the plug and play IDPS.

Wonder
2011-11-29, 14:07
Thank you Rock and Dixie for all the work you are doing to fix this!!!

Ray
2011-11-29, 14:24
Thank you Rock and Dixie for all the work you are doing to fix this!!!Seconded. What am I supposed to do all day at work without this site?

Lugnut
2011-11-29, 14:27
Service the Tampon machines in the Ladie's rooms. :albertein

Ray
2011-11-29, 14:40
Service the Tampon machines in the Ladie's rooms. I meant besides that.

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-29, 15:03
Service the ladies in the ladies' room?

Lugnut
2011-11-29, 15:40
Service the ladies in the ladies' room?

Unlike me MB put the apostrophe in correct place. I'm lucky Camo isn't still here. :angel:

Skidsteer
2011-11-29, 15:43
Let's hope Ray puts the apostrophe in the correct place when he services the ladies in the ladies' room.

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-29, 15:49
Unlike me MB put the apostrophe in correct place. I'm lucky Came isn't still here. :angel:

Camo

mudhead
2011-11-29, 16:02
Woodsy told me I was being a peckahead, so I got zapped.

He lies like a rug.:)

Good hunting story- Bangor Daily news. John holyoke's column.

Don't mess with granny.

Lugnut
2011-11-29, 16:24
Camo

Fixed it! :angel:

SGT Rock
2011-11-29, 16:45
I just got an e-mail from them saying they could move me to one of their other, faster servers.

Ya, and monkeys are going to fly out of my butt.

I think these guys must be out of Russia or somewhere.

http://www.npaper-wehaa.com/pub-files/1201298337479a5ba19739588/pub/Bluffton-Today-10-20-2010/lib/12875568164cbe8ed04e97b.jpg
"Hello my name is Peggy, you want I fix website? Please hold for tekk supportski..."

Kanga
2011-11-29, 20:43
Woodsy told me I was being a peckahead, so I got zapped.

He lies like a rug.:)

Good hunting story- Bangor Daily news. John holyoke's column.

Don't mess with granny.

i LIKE her! but that's not a real tractor.:angel:

MonkeyBoy
2011-11-30, 00:42
I just got an e-mail from them saying they could move me to one of their other, faster servers.

Ya, and monkeys are going to fly out of my butt.

I think these guys must be out of Russia or somewhere.

http://www.npaper-wehaa.com/pub-files/1201298337479a5ba19739588/pub/Bluffton-Today-10-20-2010/lib/12875568164cbe8ed04e97b.jpg
"Hello my name is Peggy, you want I fix website? Please hold for tekk supportski..."

For the record, I have never been, nor ever want to be, up Rock's butt in which to fly out of............

That is all.