PDA

View Full Version : HOI inspired hammock stand

SGT Rock
2011-12-11, 14:36
In September HOI showed me his hammock stand. I love the idea of having something portable you can put in the trunk of just about any car. I finally got around to finishing mine today and setting it up. I'll probably be sleeping in it tonight.

QDzcV9_9YMM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDzcV9_9YMM

HOI, I don't know if you are still on dial up, so I tried to keep it short. If you have a couple of minutes to look at it and offer any suggestions I would appreciate it. Anyone else can too if you can think of something.

The poles are all 32" long when down, they are a little over 60" tall when set up.

Hog On Ice
2011-12-11, 15:16
no problem I now have a faster connection - 3 MB DSL

looks good - you are right about tightening it up - takes a couple times to really get it tight

for the tarp I use your suggestion for running it through a loop and down to the ground - it so happens that a SMC descender ring is a good size to fit over that fence rail so what I do is to put a ring on the poles with a hitch pin under the place where the hammock attaches (I drilled the holes every three inches to allow for non-level ground so it can be either 3 or 6 inches under the hammock attachment) - the tarp line goes through the ring and down to the ground

I like the idea of using the countersunk holes in the wood blocks and having the blocks spiked into the ground - saves having that length of line from the anchors to the base of the pole that I have been using (and that Alamosa was using)

looks like four 10 ft. whoopie slings are about all you need - hard to tell from the video but you probably could move the anchors closer to the poles to reduce the footprint some but on the other hand it really lets you "stake out" your territory in a group campground

Big Mac
2011-12-11, 15:44
Hammock nerds.

cool breeze
2011-12-11, 15:51
It keeps them off the streets and out of the bars.

Big Mac
2011-12-11, 15:56
What's up CB? Still getting fat?

SGT Rock
2011-12-11, 16:04
no problem I now have a faster connection - 3 MB DSL

looks good - you are right about tightening it up - takes a couple times to really get it tight
Glad you are catching up to the 21st century.

for the tarp I use your suggestion for running it through a loop and down to the ground - it so happens that a SMC descender ring is a good size to fit over that fence rail so what I do is to put a ring on the poles with a hitch pin under the place where the hammock attaches (I drilled the holes every three inches to allow for non-level ground so it can be either 3 or 6 inches under the hammock attachment) - the tarp line goes through the ring and down to the ground

That is a good thought. I was trying to figure out how I would pass it through a ring. Right now I'm simply passing the ridge line over the pin shoulder and staking it to the ground at a slight angle to the center line, and I did that on opposing sides of the poles for each end so they are not both to the same side.

I like the idea of using the countersunk holes in the wood blocks and having the blocks spiked into the ground - saves having that length of line from the anchors to the base of the pole that I have been using (and that Alamosa was using)
That was my thought too. I was trying to eliminate some of the cords so I didn't have a whole bunch of lines to sort out during set up.

looks like four 10 ft. whoopie slings are about all you need - hard to tell from the video but you probably could move the anchors closer to the poles to reduce the footprint some but on the other hand it really lets you "stake out" your territory in a group campground

I was worried about putting them too close for fear of the stress that is created on the system as you move it closer. The anchors are 4 paces out from the poles and 5 paces apart from each other.

SGT Rock
2011-12-11, 16:48
A shot of the shoulder pin and a picture with an 8x10 tarp over the hammock.

cool breeze
2011-12-11, 17:57
What's up CB? Still getting fat?

I've never had to loose weight in my live. It ain't easy.

Hog On Ice
2011-12-12, 09:01
how did it go overnight Rock?

SGT Rock
2011-12-12, 09:15
Just fine. I stayed off the ground all night. I'm going to go outside and look it over now that the sun is up and look for issues.

I did get up to go to the bathroom at 0500 this morning and didn't feel like going back out, so I went to the real bed instead of going out in the 29F weather again. But otherwise I slept like a long.

Big Mac
2011-12-12, 09:21
A long what?

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

Kanga
2011-12-12, 09:21
slept like a long, huh?

sheepdog
2011-12-12, 09:22
hanging curve ball fo sho

Superman
2011-12-12, 09:41
long.....log.....what would Frued say about that?:angel:

SGT Rock
2011-12-12, 10:07
Not enough coffee to type right.

SGT Rock
2011-12-12, 10:48
how did it go overnight Rock?

There was a little slack in the head end that I tightened up with the WSs. I think I need to add a couple more holes for the shoulder hitch pin to allow a higher hang point with a better angle on the hammock support lines. I think that what is happening is I have to tighten up the hammock supports to about 20 degrees now and that is stressing the supports a little.

I was very surprised how easy the stakes on the Claws came out. It was like some were barely in, but they held great. I can only guess that the claw gets most of its anchor strength based on the mechanical advantage of the angles of the stakes and the way all clamp towards each other when stressed is put on the center of the device.

Hog On Ice
2011-12-12, 11:12
I had to check the video again - there is one thing that I do a little different wrt the anchors - I have one leg of the anchor pointing right at the pole and then the other two legs will approx. equally split the force on the anchor - the third leg's function is to keep the two with the pull on them held down to the ground so that they don't rise up

SGT Rock
2011-12-12, 11:33
Makes sense. I hadn't thought much about the leg positioning when I set it up.

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

Ray
2011-12-12, 11:50
You slept overnight out in the front yard?

The neighbors must think Dixie threw you out again.

SGT Rock
2011-12-12, 12:02
Probably.

dixicritter
2011-12-12, 12:08
You slept overnight out in the front yard?

The neighbors must think Dixie threw you out again.

They are used to it. LOL

Hog On Ice
2011-12-19, 15:57
Rock - your idea on the baseplate for the poles kicked off an idea for me - it would help some during setup if the pole stood up by itself so I made a baseplate with a 5-6 inch insert for the pole to rest on during setup - I took a 2x4 and drilled a hole exactly the diameter of a 12 inch nail (ie 3/8 inch) left over from my experiments in the boom stakes - then I cut a spacer 5-6 inches long from 1/2 inch pvc pipe and wrapped the spacer in 1/4 inch foam and duct tape - this makes it only slightly smaller than the ID of the pole - tight enough so that I had to deburr the inside of the bottom of the pole to get it to go on easy - tried it out briefly and the pole does stand up nicely and there is enough nail sticking out the bottom to make the baseplate secure against sideways slip much like the screw you were using

SGT Rock
2011-12-19, 16:03
I had actually thought about doing something like that. But being lazy that sounded like too much work.

Crikey
2011-12-21, 15:15
I had actually thought about doing something like that. But being lazy that sounded like too much work.

Apart from the sleeping up off the ground, which I get - and the advantage of camping in places that you ordinarily would not be able to in a tent - what is the appeal to all this? Seems like a bit of work...when I get to camp I like to have the Hubba up in a minute and do something else.

I realize this could be a discussion in and of itself.

SGT Rock
2011-12-21, 15:19
This is only for car camping.

Crikey
2011-12-21, 15:53
This is only for car camping.

Well then, that makes sense now. Maybe if I paid attention to your first post I wouldn't look like an idiot... Thank you sir.

Hog On Ice
2011-12-21, 17:35
actually this setup is light enough that I _might_ consider packing it in a mile or two and it certainly is NBD to pack it in a couple hundred yards - ex setting it up on Max Patch

Hog On Ice
2012-08-01, 09:51
Rock - how long were the UCRs you used for the support lines to the ground anchors? I've got some Dynaglide now and I was thinking of making up a set like yours.

SGT Rock
2012-08-01, 16:51
I think they are 6'

Hog On Ice
2012-08-01, 17:26
no - not the UCRs to the hammock but the long UCRs to the ground anchors - ie 4 paces out (30 inch pace or 60 inch pace?) and 60 inches up

or is it a case of a 6 ft UCR tied to some fixed line?

SGT Rock
2012-08-01, 17:33
Let me look.

SGT Rock
2012-08-01, 17:47
10' full length. I think my poles are a little shorter than yours, so you may want to go 12'

Hog On Ice
2012-08-01, 18:02
thanks

SGT Rock
2012-12-11, 20:34
Hey HOI, you seen this:

http://www.handyhammock.co.uk/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX_WnfxkpAM

Hog On Ice
2012-12-11, 21:45
interesting - I get the idea of leaning the poles away from each other - it reduces the force on the ground anchors and probably explains why he was able to use such a small anchor - one down side that I see is that it looks like it would require level ground or else the forces would be unbalanced rapidly and the small anchors would probably be an issue (ie I would expect it to rip out of the ground) but I could be wrong - maybe they have a similar approach to what we use with multiple positions on the pole that the hammock could be attached to - I didn't really get what those lines around the poles were for but it might be because the poles are "folding" and not sectioned like ours - ie the lines keep the pole from folding when in use. The guy lines did not look to be easily adjustable like the UCRs. Looking further on the website the ground anchors are a plate with three pegs - the pegs are 30cm long aluminum 5 mm dia - I like the ground anchors from The Claw better - pegs are much stronger steel - as near as I can tell the same plate used for the anchors is used for the base of the poles but without any pegs (??? how the heck does it stay in place - must be more than a simple plate). In any case it is an impressive improvement in terms of weight - less than 4 pounds - interesting that they also have 60 cm pegs for use on sand

SGT Rock
2012-12-11, 21:49
As I recall from years back when a guy came up with a hiker pole type stand, the lines and plates along the pole keep the poles from bowing in any direction.if one starts to bend a little in any direction the tension from the lines helps to keep it pulled straight. I don't think it matters if the poles fold in the middle because the system I recall (if I recall it correctly) used one piece aluminum ski poles.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-11, 21:51
yeah that makes sense and probably needed with the light weight pole that is used

SGT Rock
2012-12-11, 22:05
I found the thread that those pictures use to be on, but the pics have been removed. Anyhow, looked VERY much like that.

Notice you get one of their hammocks with it. I wonder how well it would work if you replaced the hammock and then tried to put a tarp over it.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-11, 22:16
did you check out their prototypes page - it had an "interesting" hammock cover - not for any claustrophobic people

I'm thinking of playing with the leaning pole concept a little - it would help reduce the footprint now needed for the stand the way it is now I think

wrt a tarp - that was one item that I felt would be an issue with that stand - the tarp would be rather close to the hammock i think - basically attached at the same point that the hammock is attached at because of the pole design - with that arrangement of lines on the pole I think you only have one place you can attach anything ie the end of the pole - I think but not 100 % sure - again this is part of my thinking that it has to be on level ground.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-11, 22:35
a better look at the hammock stand: http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/handy-hammock-stand-review/

SGT Rock
2012-12-12, 01:25
Yep, saw that. It is what introduced me to the handy hammock.

Check out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3xBbFEK_a0

SGT Rock
2012-12-12, 01:35
A good video showing the mechanics of how it is put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBDd6-JusGA

SGT Rock
2012-12-12, 10:44
Looks like it is about 1kg for just the stand. Now think if one were to go somewhere where there is already one support regularly available, then you would only need to pack half the stand - so about 1.1 pounds of hammock stand. If you were car camping with a truck like mine where you can use the truck as half of the stand, then you could reduce the footprint as well.

With your hammock stand set up, I'm thinking that the foot board could support the pole at somewhat of an angle if the hole is deep enough to give it something to but up against. With the poles angled you could have the stand under the hammock area a bit. And with the tarp, it would go at a higher point on the stand which would also be further apart. Seems like this would work well with the portable garage tarp you use ;)

Hog On Ice
2012-12-12, 14:50
portable garage tarp <chuckle>

I stopped over at Lowes after gym and picked up some hardware to try - 2 end pieces for the top rail with a hole for a bolt and 2 sliding bolts for doors

http://www.hearnesteel.com/DesktopModules/CATALooKStore/MakeThumbImage.aspx?fileticket=Xf4XpD7BIOQ%3d&PORTALID=34&W=200&H=200

http://hi.atgimg.com/img/p400/1192/2bbu15a.jpg

the idea is to mount the top rail end piece semipermanently to the lower piece of top rail and then just attach the top rail to the 2x4 base plate using the door bolt - may need to chisel a bit of a grove but it should let me get all the possible angles I want to try and would be easy to adjust

SGT Rock
2012-12-13, 08:51
I've been trying to figure out how you plan to use these and it hasn't hit me yet. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-13, 09:55
well the scale is a little off between the two pictures which does not help things - I'll try to get the stand up today and take some pics

Hog On Ice
2012-12-13, 15:13
OK here is the modified stand - I like it cause of the much smaller footprint

here are the pics:

first two pics show each end of the hammock, third pic is an over all view, fourth pic shows the baseplate for the poles - there is a 12 inch spike holding the baseplate in place, fifth pic shows an end on view and the last pic shows the adjustable loop I was using for the suspension - the adjustable loop was made with 2.8 mm Spyderline and was a last minute tweak because my UCRs did not go short enough

measurements:
attachment point for the pole is 75 inches up the pole and 68 inches above the ground - angle of pole to ground was 65 degrees
distance between baseplates is 8 ft at the hinge point
distance between attachment points 13 ft 1 inch - my portable garage tarp is slightly longer than that so next time ...
distance from baseplate to anchor center point approx 47 inches (ranged from 46 to 50 inches)
distance between anchor center points width 53 inches length 14 feet 7 inches (great improvement in foot print)

hammock used - a Trek Light (aka ENO type)

felt real good and solid laying in the hammock

SGT Rock
2012-12-13, 15:36
OK here is the modified stand - I like it cause of the much smaller footprint

here are the pics:

first two pics show each end of the hammock, third pic is an over all view, fourth pic shows the baseplate for the poles - there is a 12 inch spike holding the baseplate in place, fifth pic shows an end on view and the last pic shows the adjustable loop I was using for the suspension - the adjustable loop was made with 2.8 mm Spyderline and was a last minute tweak because my UCRs did not go short enough

measurements:
attachment point for the pole is 75 inches up the pole and 68 inches above the ground - angle of pole to ground was 65 degrees
distance between baseplates is 8 ft at the hinge point
distance between attachment points 13 ft 1 inch - my portable garage tarp is slightly longer than that so next time ...
distance from baseplate to anchor center point approx 47 inches (ranged from 46 to 50 inches)
distance between anchor center points width 53 inches length 14 feet 7 inches (great improvement in foot print)

hammock used - a Trek Light (aka ENO type)

felt real good and solid laying in the hammock

That looks sweet. Seems like one could use a U bolt and permanently mount those rail tops to the wood so that it forms a hinge and all you would need to do is put the pole in there.

When I saw the pictures I wondered if the angle of the pull for the stake claws was going to be an issue, but you say so far no. I may modify my stand system in the near future.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-13, 15:42
well I was roaming around Lowes looking for something to mount the top rail end piece onto and happened to get the wild idea with the door bolt making it easy to separate the pieces of the hinge while I was standing there looking at the bolts but basically you are right a U bolt will work fine.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-15, 15:39
played with the hammock stand today - I was wondering about setting it up on sloping land so since I have a sloping backyard ...

The setup was not too bad once I came up with a simple incline meter (protractor + weight on a string) - anyways it worked just fine on a slope.

here are some pics:

the first two pics are where I took care to get the poles at the previously used 65 deg angle to horizontal but the ridge line was a few degrees off of horizontal - again it felt real solid when I got in

the second two pics are where I "detuned" the setup - the uphill pole was at a 56 deg angle to horizontal and the down hill pole was at a 78 degree angle to horizontal - still worked well - the last pic shows the "incline meter" - although unreadable in the pic it is reading that the ridge line is now horizontal

anyways I am still happy with this change and it looks like the pole angle is not overly sensitive +/- 10% is OK IMO

Cwciwatch
2012-12-16, 08:49
That is nice. I'm going to make one. Thanks for the pics.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-16, 10:37
feel free to ask questions if I can help you with anything

saimyoji
2012-12-16, 13:16
i'm having some trouble with my linear algebra....

Hog On Ice
2012-12-16, 13:36
just setup your matrix and then invert it to find the eigenvalues

john pickett
2012-12-16, 17:35
Did you say Einsteinvalues?

john pickett
2012-12-16, 17:36
Sorry, my hearing loss is only compounded by my inverse I.Q.

Superman
2012-12-16, 17:43
Sorry, my hearing loss is only compounded by my inverse I.Q.

I'm dfinately going to use that.

Skidsteer
2013-08-09, 22:54
I've got my hammock stand put together finally. Hopefully I can test it this weekend.

I used 1 3/8" fence top rail and cut the pieces so that the two manufactured ends(swaged) would slide together to form @ a 6' pole at each end. As a result the entire kit fits in an extra chair bag I had.

If there is a catastrophic failure y'all might learn some new words.

Big Mac
2013-08-09, 22:59
I've got my hammock stand put together finally. Hopefully I can test it this weekend.

I used 1 3/8" fence top rail and cut the pieces so that the two manufactured ends(swaged) would slide together to form @ a 6' pole at each end. As a result the entire kit fits in an extra chair bag I had.

If there is a catastrophic failure y'all might learn some new words.

Really? There are words we haven't heard?

Skidsteer
2013-08-09, 23:03
Really? There are words we haven't heard?

If I stab myself with a fence post, you can count on it.

Hog On Ice
2013-08-09, 23:18
do you have the UCRs for the support lines? note I'll be bringing the line and if needed we can make the UCRs at the campsite

Skidsteer
2013-08-09, 23:26
do you have the UCRs for the support lines? note I'll be bringing the line and if needed we can make the UCRs at the campsite

I have the dynaglide but I haven't had time to make the UCR's.

I was planning to temp it together using bowlines on one end and double rolling hitches for adjustment on the other. Your help would be greatly appreciated and might possibly save my life.

Lugnut
2013-08-09, 23:36
If I stab myself with a fence post, you can count on it.

So then you're sleeping with HOI? :aetsch:

Skidsteer
2013-08-09, 23:51
So then you're sleeping with HOI? :aetsch:

OMG! Is he really built like a fence post?

I'll take your word for it. :biggrin:

Lugnut
2013-08-09, 23:54
That's not funny!:argh:

Hog On Ice
2013-08-10, 08:06
+1 for Skids

saimyoji
2013-08-10, 09:54
you three need to get a room already...

Kanga
2013-08-10, 10:21
hey hoi, are you bringing those ground anchors you brought to hoboween that time?

SGT Rock
2013-08-10, 12:24
I may bring my stand too. I haven't set it up in a long time and haven't tried it with HOI's angled anchor thing.

Hog On Ice
2013-08-10, 13:48
kanga- yeah I'll be bringing them

Skids - recommend against the rolling hitches - you might want to try a technique I recently came up with for the ASS chair primary suspension - attach line to ground anchor however you wish - I would probably use a loop tied with a figure eight knot and larks head the line onto the anchor using the loop just tied - at the upper end make a separate loop approx 6 inches long and larks head it onto the line from the anchor:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5165&d=1374699260

put the separate loop over the tip of the pole and rest it on the hitch pin and adjust the length by sliding the larks head up or down the main line and then locking it in place by tying a pile hitch on the free end side of the larks head:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3001&d=1327695679

see http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?7264-A-Simple-Sling-chair&p=319368#post319368

Skidsteer
2013-08-10, 16:34
kanga- yeah I'll be bringing them

Skids - recommend against the rolling hitches - you might want to try a technique I recently came up with for the ASS chair primary suspension - attach line to ground anchor however you wish - I would probably use a loop tied with a figure eight knot and larks head the line onto the anchor using the loop just tied - at the upper end make a separate loop approx 6 inches long and larks head it onto the line from the anchor:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5165&d=1374699260

put the separate loop over the tip of the pole and rest it on the hitch pin and adjust the length by sliding the larks head up or down the main line and then locking it in place by tying a pile hitch on the free end side of the larks head:

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3001&d=1327695679

see http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?7264-A-Simple-Sling-chair&p=319368#post319368

When you're right, you're right HOI. The rolling hitch didn't work worth a flip.

Hog On Ice
2013-08-10, 17:07
one other note when using a found stick for the pile hitch - pick one that is reasonably strong - it will be under a lot of compression force and a weak stick could break when you don't want it to - of course the fast way to undo the pile hitch is to just break the stick but I usually can undo it without the break - I'll show you what I mean at the ruck

Skidsteer
2013-08-10, 17:56
I got tired of messing with knots.

So I undid the rolling hitches and gave each guyline some Speer wraps and finished them off with a slip knot my Dad taught me when I was five years old and called it good.

I was able to lay in it just fine that way but I've come to the conclusion that the best and only knot for dynaglide is a larks head. It does not like knots.

UCR's are the way to go for sure.

Tin Man
2013-08-10, 17:58
i tie my bitchin' hammock to two trees and hope for the best

Skidsteer
2013-08-11, 16:53
Good news HOI.

I slept in it last night and I did not die.

Hog On Ice
2013-08-11, 16:58
good to hear