PDA

View Full Version : Dana Designs Terraplane

Crikey
2011-12-28, 11:14
I've got a co-worker giving this away and asked me if I'd like to have it. I'd told him I'd consider it assuming that it fits.

My reason for starting this thread is to ask if anyone has used one and get comments. I already own a Whitney and I've read that this pack is similar, but most reviews favored the Terraplane.

I considered posting in the Ultralight forum as a joke...:aetsch:

cool breeze
2011-12-28, 19:07
Its bomb proof

Crikey
2011-12-28, 19:26
Yeah, it appears so. The suspension feels better on my back than the Whitney, but I don't have it loaded up yet. It was made in Mexico in 01.

Still, the price is right - he just said trade him some blueberries and tomatos from the garden this summer.

Skidsteer
2011-12-28, 19:33
Get it.

It's a great pack to have if everything goes to shit and you have to carry your life on your back. That's why I still have my Shasta.

Crikey
2011-12-28, 22:28
I was leaning more towards winter camping when I finally move up near Asheville, but you're right, you never know...

Kanga
2011-12-28, 23:43
Get it.

It's a great pack to have if everything goes to shit and you have to carry your life on your back. That's why I still have my Shasta.

same reason i still have my dana arc lite the wind..

Crikey
2011-12-29, 22:42
So...anybody wanna buy a Whitney, cheap? I'm keeping the Dana.

JERMM
2011-12-30, 13:06
So...anybody wanna buy a Whitney, cheap? I'm keeping the Dana.

post it over there in the UL forum...:biggrin:

Hog On Ice
2011-12-30, 13:19
give it to Monkey Boy for his scouts

Big Mac
2011-12-30, 15:00
give it to Monkey Boy for his scouts

Great idea.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

Ray
2011-12-30, 16:10
Speaking of which....

I'm looking for a big-assed pack... Oh, never mind I take that back.

I'm looking for a way to carry a big-assed bunch of stuff. Like a gallon of gas, a weed wacker, an axe not talking hatchet here, a couple wedges, a pruning saw and a longer saw, and the business end of a fire rake. Plus just enough camping stuff to bivouac overnight.

Maybe just maybe one day a chainsaw, chaps and that damn hard hat with face screen and ear muffs. I let my chainsaw cert expire but I'm in no hurry to reup, buncha hassle for little return. Anything too big to hand saw either becomes a relo or is delimbed and declared a water bar. Just step or climb over the damn thing because what I'm maintaining is a real wilderness trail and not the Appalachian footTrail Highway. Plus if I'm chainsawing I gotta bring a buddy and that's doable but it adds an entire nother level of hassle.

With 8 miles between van-accessible road crossings I'll need to camp overnight on work trips. I didn't get in any maintenance trips last year because of that whole learning to walk again thing. Got that part pretty much settled so now there's a backlog of stuff needing attention.

So it's not a pack I'm looking for as much as a bare bones external frame that I can lash shit onto. Or onto which I can lash shit for all the grammar nazis.

So if anyone's got an old external frame with waistbelt that could fit a 6'4" person I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Superman
2011-12-30, 17:06
Speaking of which....

I'm looking for a big-assed pack... Oh, never mind I take that back.

I'm looking for a way to carry a big-assed bunch of stuff. Like a gallon of gas, a weed wacker, an axe not talking hatchet here, a couple wedges, a pruning saw and a longer saw, and the business end of a fire rake. Plus just enough camping stuff to bivouac overnight.

Maybe just maybe one day a chainsaw, chaps and that damn hard hat with face screen and ear muffs. I let my chainsaw cert expire but I'm in no hurry to reup, buncha hassle for little return. Anything too big to hand saw either becomes a relo or is delimbed and declared a water bar. Just step or climb over the damn thing because what I'm maintaining is a real wilderness trail and not the Appalachian footTrail Highway. Plus if I'm chainsawing I gotta bring a buddy and that's doable but it adds an entire nother level of hassle.

With 8 miles between van-accessible road crossings I'll need to camp overnight on work trips. I didn't get in any maintenance trips last year because of that whole learning to walk again thing. Got that part pretty much settled so now there's a backlog of stuff needing attention.

So it's not a pack I'm looking for as much as a bare bones external frame that I can lash shit onto. Or onto which I can lash shit for all the grammar nazis.

So if anyone's got an old external frame with waistbelt that could fit a 6'4" person I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Have you considered a couple illegal aliens for hauling that stuff?

cool breeze
2011-12-30, 17:18
Granite Gear makes a pack called The Flat Bed. Sounds like it should be just what you need.

Lugnut
2011-12-30, 17:40
You could maybe borrow an Alice pack frame from Rock.

Ray
2011-12-30, 18:43
You could maybe borrow an Alice pack frame from Rock.I'm real familiar with Alice packs. They're ok to marginal for compact heavy stuff and I got that but I need something for long floppy stuff too.

But now that you mention it, a couple mortar rounds would clear blowdowns faster than any chainsaw, wouldn't they? Wouldn't have to walk so far either, just send out one FO to direct fire. I might need to write an addendum to the Trail Maintainers Handbook.

Ray
2011-12-30, 18:47
Granite Gear makes a pack called The Flat Bed. Sounds like it should be just what you need.Holy shit. 359.95??! (http://www.granitegearstore.com/Stratus-Flatbed-P21C49.aspx)

I'm not that dedicated.

Hog On Ice
2011-12-30, 19:08
probably still too expensive: http://bullpacs.com/

Law Dawg (ret)
2011-12-30, 20:40
But now that you mention it, a couple mortar rounds would clear blowdowns faster than any chainsaw, wouldn't they? Wouldn't have to walk so far either, just send out one FO to direct fire. I might need to write an addendum to the Trail Maintainers Handbook.

How about some det cord? You could leave all that other stuff at home.:bandit:

Ray
2011-12-30, 22:49
How about some det cord? You could leave all that other stuff at home.:bandit:That would work. Or is there some way to make a fake mobile home? I could erect it over the blowdown then just wait for a tornado to blow it all away. I'll see if JAK has any ideas.

There may be a flaw or two in that plan.

Alice pack. (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=z&xhr=t&q=alice+pack&tok=FC3VHw1b6PD4V4yZNeDgDg&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=621&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3787386888936018028&sa=X&ei=E3v-TqeHCYSltwfQ5-yTDg&sqi=2&ved=0CFIQ8gIwAA) Looking better all the time.

sheepdog
2011-12-31, 11:11
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=frame+pack&x=20&y=9&WTz_l
Ray Cabelas has lots of frame packs to choose from.

chumpchange
2012-01-02, 01:25
Have you considered a couple illegal aliens for hauling that stuff?

or a big ass girlfriend.

Ray
2012-01-13, 21:51
Followup:

For about $30 with shipping I got a large ALICE pack (http://jandadiscountmilitarysurplus.com/cart/us-large-lc1-pack-wframe-lc2-straps-kidney-pad-p-710.html?zenid=94cff5178443df3e695865a4af9de118) with frame and cargo shelf. After trying it on I remembered why I hated ALICE back in the day. The shoulder straps barely even covered my shoulders, no sternum strap, the hip belt pad didn't even reach my front pockets and the frame rubbed against my shoulders and back.

On the good side the frame is sturdy enough to hold up my fifth wheel trailer, the cargo shelf is sturdy and has lots of lash points and the pack is humongous. Lots of places to strap stuff and I wouldn't worry about hauling gasoline, oil and saws in that pack.

So I Googled after market straps and hip belts. Then today I stopped by a new local discount sporting goods store. They had an ultra cheap plastic frame external backpack with a well padded hip belt and acceptable looking shoulder straps with sternum strap. Something but not exactly like this (http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/dragonfly/16), for about $40. Cheaper than buying the components individually, if it would work. I figured it was worth the risk so I took it home and started disassembling both systems.

The new hip belt fit perfectly on the ALICE frame and so did the shoulder straps. The new pack even had a mesh back pad that was easy to move to the ALICE frame. I had enough straps left over to add a horizontal strap to the ALICE to tighten it to the frame if I don't fill up that monster. Then I got some para cord and braided a handle to the top of ALICE. The pack still comes off easily if I want to just use the frame.

After a few adjustments here and there the ALICE pack is now very comfortable.

I'm very happy with my $70'ish heavy load hauling system.

Crikey
2012-01-13, 22:36
So, Ray, I guess that means you don't want my Whitney?

:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

Ray
2012-01-14, 10:11
So, Ray, I guess that means you don't want my Whitney? Thanks but no, people might mistake me for Minnesota Smith.

Give it to Tin Man so he can shuttle it down to Monkey Boy.

mudhead
2012-01-14, 11:53
Tubular webbing, like climbers use, makes elegant handle material.

Can't imagine anyone confusing you with MS. That would be fugly.

Crikey
2012-01-14, 12:43
Thanks but no, people might mistake me for Minnesota Smith.

Just carry one roll of shit tickets and you're good.