PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Dahlonega Trail Fest

tlamb3
2012-01-04, 23:53
Dahlonega, an ATC Trail Community, will hold the second annual Dahlonega Trail Fest on March 16-18, 2012 in Dahlonega, GA. Authors, speakers, films, workshops and more activities will be held. Camping will be available close to the Fest site along with many equipment vendors. Details at: www.dahlonegatrailfest.org. Hope to see everyone there!!

Hog On Ice
2012-01-05, 00:08
looks interesting this year - camping looks good

presentations - so-so

nothing specific for blue blazing hiker trash but then we can just improvise and overcome

SGT Rock
2012-01-05, 20:12
I'd like to come do a BMT booth but I've got to work that weekend.

Roots
2012-01-06, 12:48
I love the town of Dahlonega. That would be the main attraction for me to go. I think it's great when a town wants to celebrate the trail but there are WAY too many taking place in the south.

Lone Wolf
2012-01-06, 12:56
I think it's great when a town wants to celebrate the trail but there are WAY too many taking place in the south.

no shit

generoll
2012-01-06, 16:45
so that means Hiawassee is out of the running?

Roots
2012-01-06, 17:31
so that means Hiawassee is out of the running?

out of the running for what? a festival? they can do what they want but, damn, that's would be overboard of festivals. as it is now there is almost one every weekend from march to may. its only the 1st +/- 500 of the trail. after Damascus poor ole hikers will feel abandoned. :D

Kanga
2012-01-06, 19:12
poor whiny little fucks.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-01-06, 21:05
Tea on the monitor...:cguru:

generoll
2012-01-06, 21:10
out of the running for what? a festival? they can do what they want but, damn, that's would be overboard of festivals. as it is now there is almost one every weekend from march to may. its only the 1st +/- 500 of the trail. after Damascus poor ole hikers will feel abandoned. :D

Spoken with tongue in cheek, Roots. It seems like everybody wants a piece of the action. Did you know that Dawsonville is now an AT community? When you consider that the AT doesn't run through any town in GA, I just have to laugh as I hear about these towns celebrating their connection with the AT.

Skidsteer
2012-01-06, 21:14
Spoken with tongue in cheek, Roots. It seems like everybody wants a piece of the action. Did you know that Dawsonville is now an AT community? When you consider that the AT doesn't run through any town in GA, I just have to laugh as I hear about these towns celebrating their connection with the AT.

Dawsonville.

Dawsonville? Really?

Elder
2012-01-07, 00:42
I had not heard Dawsonville.
The ATC "allows" the towns the towns to "earn" the designation by supporting the ATC.
Revenue, increased awareness and protection is some of the reasoning.
Blairsville is an ATC Trail town too. Hiawassee only has to apply and find the "support"

generoll
2012-01-07, 10:36
have to go back and check my sources. my memory isn't what it was, but I just remember being shocked to hear about it. I think I read it in the AT mag and thinking at the time that the person who wrote the article had obviously never bothered to actually GO to Dawsonville.

Lone Wolf
2012-01-07, 13:31
I had not heard Dawsonville.
The ATC "allows" the towns the towns to "earn" the designation by supporting the ATC.
Revenue, increased awareness and protection is some of the reasoning.
Blairsville is an ATC Trail town too. Hiawassee only has to apply and find the "support"

the ATC gave buena vista grant money to promote their town. money well spent :rolleyes:
http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4196

Cuffs
2012-01-07, 16:14
They're startin that 'trail town' shit in Alabama too. For the Pinhoti of course. But the same thing is going on. Towns the trail doesnt actually pass thru are taking on the designation. And some fucked up local legislator still thinks hes gonna get the Pinhoti merged with the AT and move the south terminus. Dumbass. Even the ATC has stated they will not support such a change.

SGT Rock
2012-01-07, 16:41
SEFTC has started a trail town initiative too. We don't give any money nor ask any in return. It is more of a thing for setting up things friendly to hikers like a map of the town showing where stuff is within walking distance. We don't have any towns yet, but a couple of them working around the BMT/Pinhoti Trail corridor. The issue is trying to get some of the towns to see hikers as something other than homeless people. Some of the towns cater to kayakers, ATVs, fishers, hunters, etc. But it seems that most of them see people that don't drive something into town as people to shun. There is a town along the BMT where there has been some issues. I even got "pulled over" during my thru-hike through that county.

generoll
2012-01-07, 16:45
the ATC gave buena vista grant money to promote their town. money well spent :rolleyes:
http://www.trailplace.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4196

hmm, lake buena vista, isn't that just outside Disney World?

Cuffs
2012-01-07, 19:42
But it seems that most of them see people that don't drive something into town as people to shun. There is a town along the BMT where there has been some issues. I even got "pulled over" during my thru-hike through that county.

sad and promoting lazy...

What county was this??

Superman
2012-01-07, 19:44
Originally Posted by SGT Rock
But it seems that most of them see people that don't drive something into town as people to shun. There is a town along the BMT where there has been some issues. I even got "pulled over" during my thru-hike through that county.

Which town is that?

Lone Wolf
2012-01-07, 22:26
hmm, lake buena vista, isn't that just outside Disney World?

whatever. point is no town should be given any cash by the ATC to promote the AT. they've crossed the line

SGT Rock
2012-01-07, 22:33
Polk county, Ducktown, TN

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

Superman
2012-01-07, 22:49

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

Holy crap, I enjoyed Ducktown twice. Folks seemed nice and were helpful. I guess I was just lucky.

Ray
2012-01-07, 23:32
whatever. point is no town should be given any cash by the ATC to promote the AT. they've crossed the lineFrom your link I got the impression that the ATC was distributing money from a grant given to them from a private Virginia based foundation.

I know nothing about this case but those kind of grants mostly come with strings attached and are offered on a take it or leave it basis. ATC may have had to spend it in VA or for that kind of use or both.

So no dues used, that's my guess.

In general you're right; towns hoping to benefit from their proximity to the Trail should promote that fact on their own dime.

The Appalachian Trail Community™ program in Virginia has been greatly supported in 2011 through a grant the ATC received from the Virginia Environmental Endowment. This grant has helped to expand the capacity of the Appalachian Trail Communities program in Virginia by developing volunteer training, communication tools, program website and other resources to support local communities; like these small grants.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-01-08, 12:16

I'm tapatalkin' ya'll

sL9TunUh_bw

Zip it!:bandit:

Roche
2012-01-08, 22:32
If someone looking like this came into my town I'd hide the children and get the guns!

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=306085

Lugnut
2012-01-08, 22:43
You make an excellent point.

SGT Rock
2012-01-08, 23:59
Derka Derka

Kanga
2012-01-09, 09:00
If someone looking like this came into my town I'd hide the children and get the guns!

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=306085

Bwaahahahaha!!

SGT Rock
2012-01-11, 15:37
I thought Dahlonega and Amicalola were going to combine their events? I may have heard that wrong, but if that was right, Amicalola has March 2-4 for their event - and I am off that weekend. http://www.georgiastateparks.org/core/event/eventlist.aspx?siteid=5&p=64&when=3/1/2012

chumpchange
2012-01-20, 19:55
i have elders and ancestors in polk cty, tn.

you must have looked pretty gruff to stick out among that crowd.

skidsteer, you gots a pm.