PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of Alcohol Stoves . . .

Jester
2012-01-13, 13:56
Proof that the line "I thought the stove was out" is the beginning of just about every bad story involving alcohol stoves . . .

QrGFRhjIFss

Crikey
2012-01-13, 15:03
Proof that the line "I thought the stove was out" is the beginning of just about every bad story involving alcohol stoves . . .

Like every proctologist story ends in the same way: "It was a million to one shot, Doc. Million to one."

Jester
2012-01-13, 15:04
Like every proctologist story ends in the same way: "It was a million to one shot, Doc. Million to one."

Hahahahahaha! Ewwwwwwww.

SGT Rock
2012-01-13, 16:32
I didn't think the gun was loaded is another.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-01-13, 19:08
Hold my beer and watch this...

Amigi
2012-01-13, 23:23
Jetboil, ftw.

Gaiter
2012-01-15, 17:35
haha, glad i'm not the only one who has set my leg on fire, but didn't get burns like hers though (didn't have to shave that leg for a while either)

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/4551/tj4551%5F062306%5F114055%5F157473.jpg

Jester
2012-01-15, 23:22
haha, glad i'm not the only one who has set my leg on fire, but didn't get burns like hers though (didn't have to shave that leg for a while either)

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/4551/tj4551%5F062306%5F114055%5F157473.jpg

The burn looks slightly worse than it was because we had slathered it with Neosporin right before that shot, which for some reason made it look awful (but reduced the amount of scarring).

It was still pretty bad, though.

Tin Man
2012-01-17, 09:01
Here's a stove that works...

http://lifehacker.com/5876741/build-a-simple-handmade-cooking-stove-with-a-log-a-saw-and-some-newspaper

Hog On Ice
2012-01-17, 09:05
Here's a stove that works...

http://lifehacker.com/5876741/build-a-simple-handmade-cooking-stove-with-a-log-a-saw-and-some-newspaper

also known as a Swedish candle

louisianahiker
2012-01-26, 09:04
Not a good idea to pour fuel in a hot stove and light it....
.poof....been there done that

Hog On Ice
2012-01-26, 09:14
my general rule of thumb for adding fuel to an alcohol stove is to first make sure the burner is cool enough to touch with a bare hand

A friend of mine from Alabama, Rabbitman, was badly burned by adding fuel to a hot stove many years ago and as far as I know to this day won't use an alcohol stove.

sheepdog
2012-01-26, 10:52
looks like alcohol was a factor in this accident :bebored:

Jester
2012-01-26, 16:20
looks like alcohol was a factor in this accident :bebored:

Well, actually HEET was a factor in all three accidents. But not alcohol. That was a joke. Funny enough, there's a thread on Backpacker Magazine where someone made that suggestion, and when I pointed out that none of the hikers was drinking at the time, someone else came on and pointed out that in the video a couple of hikers are smoking weed, and THAT was the explanation for the accidents.

When I pointed out that the hikers are smoking filterless cigarettes in the video (and they are -- in fact English Ovals sent to me in a care package to Stehekin from Baltimore Jack), he told me I was lying.

For some reason there are people who want there to be an explanation for the accidents that wouldn't have anything to do with them, so that they can tell themselves, "well, that wouldn't happen to ME, because I don't BLANK" and then they fill in the blank with whatever thing they imagine caused the accident.

But the truth is that this sort of thing can happen to anyone if they're exhausted after a long day of hiking and not paying attention to what they're doing.

And that was supposed to be the point.

Ray
2012-01-26, 16:27
Well, actually HEET was a factor in all three accidents. But not alcohol. That was a joke. Funny enough, there's a thread on Backpacker Magazine where someone made that suggestion, and when I pointed out that none of the hikers was drinking at the time, someone else came on and pointed out that in the video a couple of hikers are smoking weed, and THAT was the explanation for the accidents.

When I pointed out that the hikers are smoking filterless cigarettes in the video (and they are -- in fact English Ovals sent to me in a care package to Stehekin from Baltimore Jack), he told me I was lying.

For some reason there are people who want there to be an explanation for the accidents that wouldn't have anything to do with them, so that they can tell themselves, "well, that wouldn't happen to ME, because I don't BLANK" and then they fill in the blank with whatever thing they imagine caused the accident.

But the truth is that this sort of thing can happen to anyone if they're exhausted after a long day of hiking and not paying attention to what they're doing.

And that was supposed to be the point. Then the common factor in all these accidents is that they weren't drinking or smoking weed?

Well, that wouldn't happen to ME....

sheepdog
2012-01-26, 16:38
Then the common factor in all these accidents is that they weren't drinking or smoking weed?

zacktly

Roots
2012-01-26, 17:27
when reading the title of this thread, i immediately thought of kanga....

Jester
2012-01-26, 19:03
Then the common factor in all these accidents is that they weren't drinking or smoking weed?

Hahahahahaha! Nice!

Kanga
2012-01-26, 21:47
when reading the title of this thread, i immediately thought of kanga....

you shut it!

Lone Wolf
2012-01-26, 21:47
alcohol stoves just plain suck.

Jester
2012-01-26, 23:08
alcohol stoves just plain suck.

I'm with you on that.

Gaiter
2012-01-28, 16:22

And that was supposed to be the point.

well i blame my incident on the half a million nalgene bottles that were on the picnic table at the time and that i was trying to do two things at once (carry on a conversation and cook), but umm i might have possibly had a little smokey treat before my incident which might also be at fault...