PDA

View Full Version : Please allow me...

ridgerunner
2003-07-21, 09:29
to introduced myself. Name is Don, but I'll answer to just about anything. I'm 45 now, and married to a non camper. Oh well, nobody's perfect and I love her just the same.
I grew up on Army bases all over the U.S. and Europe. Then I did my own stint in the Air Force.

What brings me here is my discovery of the ultralight hiking craze/revolution. I'm especially crazy about that little soda can alchohol stove. I carry two. One for my coffee and one for my oatmeal.
When I was a boyscout, back in the mid to late sixties, we always used army equipment. Each of us had to carry a canvas pup tent half, some stakes and a pole, plus our down mummy bags, steel army mess kit, first aid kit, army D cell flashlight, web belt and canteen, compass, and whatever else we might feel like carrying. Food and supplies were always brought via duece and a half (big green army truck), so it wasn't all that bad. Once we set up a base camp, we'd hike with just our web belts and canteens. I did have a real boyscout external frame pack. I think that was the lightest piece of equipment I had. I remember some kids had wooden pack frames.
Now I just use a hammock/tarp, two liters of water and some freeze dried food and some odds and ends and I'm set. When I think back on my boyscout days, I think the adults were just trying to wear us out so we'd sleep at night.
I just bought me a Camelback 100 oz. water bag. It's OK, but pretty noisy compared to bota bags. Makes it kinda hard to sneak up on the critters (for pictures). But I can carry a lot more water with it.
I'll be asking some questions on ultralight equipment, so I'll know what I want when I go to the REI store, but I gotta go for now.

foo
2003-07-21, 09:48
I recently had a long conversation with an REI rep who has been hiking/backpacking for 50 years.

He says that the alcohol stoves are the best three season stoves by far.

dixicritter
2003-07-21, 11:08
Ridgerunner, welcome. SGT Rock would probably agree with your married to a non camper there, I am not much of a camper myself. Definately don't strap on a pack and "take a hike". But there are ways for us "non campers" to still support you nuts who like that kind of thing :D

dixi

sojourner
2003-07-24, 02:20
Well ridgerunner, I'm new here too and I'm here for the same reasons. Since I started backpacking a few years ago I have always been in search of lighter ways of doing things and when I stumbled accross these ultralight ideas it made me really happy.

Please share when you come accross some good ideas or equipment. I have yet to decided on my gear choices so I'll enjoy hearing about your discoveries.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the trail, and God bless!

HuffnPuff
2003-07-30, 16:58
Turn your camelbak bladder upside down and suck out all the excess air through the bite valve before you load it into your pack. This will cut down on the sloshing/noise.