PDA

View Full Version : new sewing machine suggestions?

Hog On Ice
2012-02-11, 13:53
Anyone have a suggestion as to a sewing machine and accessories suitable for sewing 1.1 nylon? as well as more general sewing for making/repairing gear.

Or is this a poor idea for a guy with hands that don't work all that well due to essential tremor?

Wally world has a couple that looked OK at around $200 - a Singer and a Brother brand - they also had some at $100 but I was less sure they would do for the thin stuff.

dixicritter
2012-02-11, 14:12
I didn't like the Brother brand. Too many thread malfunctions. Go with Singer.

Superman
2012-02-11, 14:24
Anyone have a suggestion as to a sewing machine and accessories suitable for sewing 1.1 nylon? as well as more general sewing for making/repairing gear.

Or is this a poor idea for a guy with hands that don't work all that well due to essential tremor?

Wally world has a couple that looked OK at around $200 - a Singer and a Brother brand - they also had some at $100 but I was less sure they would do for the thin stuff.

If it were me, I'd have someone else do it just so I could complain about how it came out.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-11, 14:57
If it were me, I'd have someone else do it just so I could complain about how it came out.

already did that and the sewing sucked - I have a choice of trying to teach an old woman who runs the Sewing Shop how to sew 1.1 nylon or to do it myself and frankly I think she may be a bit hard to educate.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-11, 15:11
I didn't like the Brother brand. Too many thread malfunctions. Go with Singer.

Dixi, do you have a Singer - if so which model? Thinking ahead to the possibility of asking model specific questions.

Superman
2012-02-11, 15:15
already did that and the sewing sucked - I have a choice of trying to teach an old woman who runs the Sewing Shop how to sew 1.1 nylon or to do it myself and frankly I think she may be a bit hard to educate.

Did Sgt Rock talk about bonding stuff like that without sewing? I wish I could be more help but I'm not very good at women's work.

JERMM
2012-02-11, 15:18
go with a singer, i don't have a singer, but iffin i was about to buy a machine i'd go with a singer, they're easy to operate and easy to get repairs

Tin Man
2012-02-11, 15:21
Did Sgt Rock talk about bonding stuff like that without sewing? I wish I could be more help but I'm not very good at women's work.

+1 Superman!

Hog On Ice
2012-02-11, 15:37

bonding is what is done with Cuban fiber fabrics - I don't know how they would work for a chair since Cuban is sensitive to abrasion.

wrt sewing as woman's work - I have great respect for people who can sew and create new stuff from whole cloth

I know some of the Koolaid drinkers over on HF can't accept the fact that they are using a sewing machine and as a result they call it a "thread injector" but I have no problem with going out and buying an honest sewing machine and using it to sew.

Superman
2012-02-11, 16:09
bonding is what is done with Cuban fiber fabrics - I don't know how they would work for a chair since Cuban is sensitive to abrasion.

wrt sewing as woman's work - I have great respect for people who can sew and create new stuff from whole cloth

I know some of the Koolaid drinkers over on HF can't accept the fact that they are using a sewing machine and as a result they call it a "thread injector" but I have no problem with going out and buying an honest sewing machine and using it to sew.

I guess if I only posted about things that I know about I'd never post.

Tin Man
2012-02-11, 16:41
I guess if I only posted about things that I know about I'd never post.

we are supposed to know stuff before we post? is that one of the unsaid rules??

Superman
2012-02-11, 17:14
we are supposed to know stuff before we post? is that one of the unsaid rules??

Folks have enough trouble remembering rule 6. Don't confuse me with stuff I'm supposed to intuitively know. Hell, that's the problem with my sex life.

mudhead
2012-02-11, 20:04
I went to a fabric place looking for info on a sewing machine I needed to get rid of...

A lady was sitting there at a computer, making a row of fancy machines sew stuff.

She talked about used machines that start at $50. Depends on the number of stitches bells and whistles etc you need.

Point- Take a couple chunks of sil to a decent fabric place. Look for the lady showing off the fancy machines, act awed, ask questions.

General
2012-02-11, 20:10
i use a older singer 290C with metal internals. the metal gears are key for longevity. i've never had any issue with it what so ever, and it's had enough 1.1 sil nylon through it to circle the globe. they were a bit expensive new, but you can pick one up used fairly reasonable. they don't make em' anymore.

sheepdog
2012-02-11, 20:15

how about a nice aunt Bea dress

Hog On Ice
2012-02-11, 20:17
+1 for sheepdog

but cross dressing isn't one of my kinks

Lugnut
2012-02-11, 20:25
You could make one for Jester. Maybe for Easter.

sheepdog
2012-02-11, 20:27
You could make one for Jester. Maybe for Easter.

anna hat wif flowers in it

Hog On Ice
2012-02-11, 21:23
one thing that I have never seen is someone hiking with a classic sun bonnet on their head

Gaiter
2012-02-11, 21:49
Check craigslist as well, I managed to find a very nice Singer that originally cost nearly $400 for $75, it was from a professional seamstress that also took very good care of it, he did a major cleaning of the motor and oiled it right before I got it, also showed me how to oil it and gave me half a bottle of the oil and said if I keep it clean and oil it right it will last years....

Tin Man
2012-02-11, 21:58
Folks have enough trouble remembering rule 6. Don't confuse me with stuff I'm supposed to intuitively know. Hell, that's the problem with my sex life.

you have a sex life??? i call bs on that...

Superman
2012-02-11, 22:08
you have a sex life??? i call bs on that...

ouch:hammock:

Tin Man
2012-02-11, 22:10
ouch:hammock:

ouch is right... and it takes one to know one... um.... whups

Hog On Ice
2012-02-15, 14:47
OK - Craigs list struck out - not a lot is the local area

here is the machine I am thinking of getting: SINGER 7258 Stylist Model Sewing Machine http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-7258-Stylist-Sewing-Machine/dp/B003KK807M/ref=sr_1_5?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1329331040&sr=1-5

any last thoughts?

Tin Man
2012-02-15, 14:56

here is the machine I am thinking of getting: SINGER 7258 Stylist Model Sewing Machine http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-7258-Stylist-Sewing-Machine/dp/B003KK807M/ref=sr_1_5?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1329331040&sr=1-5

any last thoughts?

i think superman could use a dress...

D'Artagnan
2012-02-15, 15:21
I don't know if they still sell them, buy my mom has a Kenmore she got from Sears some 40-odd years ago. Still runs as smooth as a, a, a sewing machine. Our Habitat ReStore sometimes gets them in -- do you have a ReStore in your area?

SGT Rock
2012-02-15, 15:44
HOI, we have a 7256 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005HR1JMO/ref=asc_df_B005HR1JMO1900357?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B005HR1JMO

It is a little less and does what I want. It even makes an idiot sewing noob like me look like I have some skills.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-15, 16:24
they do look very similar

SGT Rock
2012-02-15, 17:10
I know, I didn't get into the weeds to see what the difference is. But I basically only ever use two stitch patters: 00 for most stuff, and 01 for making thick bar tacks.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-15, 17:15
the 7258 has an on-machine speed control and can be used without the foot pedal is about the only thing of significance to me - the on-machine speed control also acts as a limiter on the foot pedal which may be a good thing for me

SGT Rock
2012-02-15, 17:20
Do you have tremors in your feet? If so, that could be bad, or just fun to watch.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-15, 17:29
not yet and hopefully never but there are some times that I do feel a little shaky in the legs but I'm not sure its ET or something else like just being nervous due to exposed position - ex trying to do rock scrambles

curtisvowen
2012-02-16, 16:38
Here's what I use...not original pics but you get the idea....

The one on the left is a Husqvarna..."Viking" model...that's right...same girls that made the chainsaws. Made in Sweden....I got from a lady that works the dump/landfill around here in the county fo free.
The floor/pedal action is very forgiving...a slow...punch....punch...punch.

The one on the right?
The #1 sewing machine every built. It's a Singer...about 100 yrs. old and still rocks.....Upholstery. Leather? Can do it all.

Anyone wants the Viking I'll trade .223 ammo.....beer...or whatever..

Gaiter
2012-02-16, 19:33

Yeah down side craigslist is hit or miss...