PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Ewker
2012-02-15, 13:02
Thinking about breaking down and getting a GPS. I saw that Sgt Rock mentioned the Garmin Etrex Vista HCx in the BMT beta tester thread.

I know nothing about them so just wondering who has or had it and what your thoughts were on it

Cuffs
2012-02-15, 14:22
The extrex is a very basic model. has only 1 or 2 buttons used to navigate all the fields. I use a 60CSx. its a little beefier but I like the multiple buttons to quickly navigate to the screens needed. Im doing to same plotting on the Pinhoti that Rock is doing for the BMT. Regardless of what model you get, be sure to get one with an 'x' in the name. this is a higher sensitivity antenna. Ive been at the bottom of Sipsey's canyons, under full leaf cover and never lost signal...

SGT Rock
2012-02-15, 15:37
Mine isn't the H or x model, just the C (which means color). I wish it had the H so I wouldn't loose track so much. Battery life is good though. Graphics aren't great, but they do the job.

Superman
2012-02-15, 15:51
I have the Garmin etrex Vista. No color, gets the job done, there are better GPS now.

SGT Rock
2012-02-15, 17:09
I can sell you my old Etrex Vista C for cheap.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-15, 17:16
+1 for Rock

Ewker
2012-02-17, 10:58
I can sell you my old Etrex Vista C for cheap.

although it might be good to buy a used one cheap to learn on I just might as well buy a new one with my income tax money

Ewker
2012-03-05, 11:53
The extrex is a very basic model. has only 1 or 2 buttons used to navigate all the fields. I use a 60CSx. its a little beefier but I like the multiple buttons to quickly navigate to the screens needed. Im doing to same plotting on the Pinhoti that Rock is doing for the BMT. Regardless of what model you get, be sure to get one with an 'x' in the name. this is a higher sensitivity antenna. Ive been at the bottom of Sipsey's canyons, under full leaf cover and never lost signal...

I just bought a used Garmin 60CXs from a guy I know. I may ask you a few questions about it once I get it in the mail. It has everything that comes with it when you buy it new

chumpchange
2012-03-07, 00:57
check the date when you turn it on. if its showing an old date then it hasn't been used lately and you'll need to let it resynch itself with the satellites.

this drove me crazy until i let it set outside for about half an hour with a clear shot to the sky. now it doesn't take near as long to link up after i turn it on and the date is correct.

Cuffs
2012-03-07, 09:42
He's got a CSx, it should never take that long to adjust to satellites.

Ewker, call, email or text anytime!

Ewker
2012-03-07, 11:08
will do Cuffs