PDA

View Full Version : Mre?

kilo0tango
2012-02-28, 00:06
I seem to be in the minority when it comes to the fact I love the taste of MREs. Any thoughts on taking them as a food source on a short hike/camp? I don't see too many folks post much about them but it seems they would be the perfect food on the trail. High calorie count and relatively small packing. I'm not talking about the stuff they pass off as MREs online either. I'm talking about the stuff you get on base.

SGT Rock
2012-02-28, 04:34
You are in the minority.

Superman
2012-02-28, 05:11
I seem to be in the minority when it comes to the fact I love the taste of MREs. Any thoughts on taking them as a food source on a short hike/camp? I don't see too many folks post much about them but it seems they would be the perfect food on the trail. High calorie count and relatively small packing. I'm not talking about the stuff they pass off as MREs online either. I'm talking about the stuff you get on base.

You can carry anything that blows your skirt up. Most other folks have chosen to to take other food based on taste and weight. I prefer C-rations over MREs but I wouldn't carry the weight of either of them.

sheepdog
2012-02-28, 06:17
For a short hike and camp they will work fine.

Kanga
2012-02-28, 08:18
Yuk. I carry my own cooking, dehydrated.

Ray
2012-02-28, 11:06
You are in the minority.But if you add a lot of Tobasco then they taste a lot like Tobasco.

john pickett
2012-02-28, 11:32
+1 for Ray

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-02-28, 12:19
I prefer C-rations over MREs but I wouldn't carry the weight of either of them.

Mmmmm...Vienna Sausages and Luck Strikes? :biggrin:

Yes some of us actually carried these backpacking in the 60s. ;)

kilo0tango
2012-02-28, 12:42
But if you add a lot of Tobasco then they taste a lot like Tobasco.

HA! Maybe thats why I can stomach the stuff. It's all the same once you put the tobasco on it.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-28, 12:54
mmmmm...vienna sausages and lucky strikes? :biggrin:

lsmft

SGT Rock
2012-02-28, 20:04
Mmmmm...Vienna Sausages and Luck Strikes? :biggrin:

That is where all those mouse strings in the shelters came from. Very historical.

Bearpaw
2012-02-28, 22:23
They're heavy, and the chemical smell still hits me hard over a decade after leaving the Marines.

But if you add them to some ramen and tobasco, they can be decent for shorter trips.

Russell
2012-02-28, 22:32
Who out there has eaten ham and motherfuckers in their c rats?

Superman
2012-02-28, 22:41
Hasn't everyone?

john pickett
2012-02-29, 09:59
Me! And I can remember 4-packs of cigarettes in the same.
I was young then and foolish.

Superman
2012-02-29, 10:21
Me! And I can remember 4-packs of cigarettes in the same.
I was young then and foolish.

I smoked Winstons then. Mostly I recall Salem, Pall Mall, Camel and they were sort of dry tasting. I didn't carry much personal stuff but I always tried to have my own cigarettes ....and my standard answer was "no, you can't have one." I have the last p-38 that I used in country hanging on a lanyard on the wall going down to the basement. It's kind of a little reminder of the good old days.

JAK
2012-02-29, 12:54
I remember chicklets in the Canadian ones in the 80s. Ham and cheese was ok if you used lots of the ketchup. I think they came with a esbit tab also, and matches, and you could make hot drinks out of the lemonaide or orange powder or tea or whatever. I thought they all tasted great when you were cold and hungry and there was nothing else, but packing it by choice would be rather like getting married to the ugly girlfriend of the last woman left in a bar. Just sayin'.

Russell
2012-02-29, 13:04
Cheese, I wish, mother fuckers are lima beans.

Superman
2012-02-29, 13:17
Cheese, I wish, mother fuckers are lima beans.

I hated lima beans long before I opened my first can of ham and muther fuckers. I'd rather eat two week old rice balls.

Hog On Ice
2012-02-29, 14:55
I hated lima beans long before I opened my first can of ham and muther fuckers. I'd rather eat old moldy balls.

just pointing out the state of the balls

Superman
2012-02-29, 14:59

You left off that the moldy rice balls were green.

sheepdog
2012-02-29, 15:27

You left off that the moldy rice balls were green.

http://youtu.be/yuiYmyCeqeo
yuiYmyCeqeo

Superman
2012-02-29, 15:42
So you want a gross of old balls ya say sonny?

SGT Rock
2012-02-29, 20:21
When I was young and would eat almost anything, I loved some of the MRE meals, others I hated worse than anything on the planet. I refused to eat beef diced in barbecue sauce on the grounds it was not real barbecue and it was against my religion.

As I got older, the MREs sucked even more even though they worked hard to make them better. You can only eat the same 12 meals so many times before you start hating them.

On my first tour in Iraq we only had MREs with the very occasionally find of something edible like a case of ramen noodles in a "lost" container of stuff going to the PX. I lived on 1 to 2 of them a day for about 4 months straight. On my second tour I refused to eat them on the grounds it could cause suicide. The last MRE I ever ate was at an Iraqi camp in southern Iraq during a 20 hour mission where I had to have something. Cheese and crackers were all I ate.

I imagine someone that has not eaten the same 12 meals for ever day for months could find them appetizing. They have worked real hard to make them better with milkshakes, pop-tarts, M&Ms, etc in them. But I'd rather eat ramen.

Russell
2012-02-29, 20:34
When we were issued c rations, we could not pick what you wanted. They would have the boxes on a counter opened upside down so you could not see what each meal was. As we walked by we took 1 or 2 meals out of the box what ever the quartermaster would give you. There were 12 meals in a box. When you are in line and they open a new box and your meals were in that box.You would hope that someone would get the ham and mother fuckers before it was your turn. Without fail when some one picked the meal they would go, "MOTHER FUCKER." Sometimes that did not work because they would put a box out with 12 meals of................. yea you guessed it. Fuckin' REMFs.

Superman
2012-02-29, 20:42
The cases of c-rats came with the water blivots re-supply. We broke the band around the c-rat case with the open flash supressor of our M-16s. You put the wire threw the tines and twisted your weapon. What I didn't eat right away I kept in an extra sock. I always carried extra socks.

Ray
2012-02-29, 20:53
The hot chocolate mix, two to four of the instant coffee creamers and a couple crumpled John Wayne bars with a splash of water or (better) instant coffee made a passable chocolate pudding.

OK, so maybe not passable but definitely chocolate. Or just pour it over the C-rat fruit cake as icing.

SGT Rock
2012-02-29, 20:53
When we were issued c rations, we could not pick what you wanted. They would have the boxes on a counter opened upside down so you could not see what each meal was. As we walked by we took 1 or 2 meals out of the box what ever the quartermaster would give you. There were 12 meals in a box. When you are in line and they open a new box and your meals were in that box.You would hope that someone would get the ham and mother fuckers before it was your turn. Without fail when some one picked the meal they would go, "MOTHER FUCKER." Sometimes that did not work because they would put a box out with 12 meals of................. yea you guessed it. Fuckin' REMFs.
We called that getting rat fucked. If you took your issued MRE you would rat fuck it yourself and take out what you wanted and leave the rest behind. When out on missions we usually had the rat fuck box where people threw the stuff they didn't want. But sometimes you would open a box and find that someone had rat fucked it before you got it and opened to remove all the gum crackers, whatever it was they wanted - and then boxed it back up like it was new. Occasionally you would get a box that would only have chicken-a-la-king in it. I ate so much chicken-a-la-rat-fucked-king that I will never eat anything a-la-king again.

Superman
2012-02-29, 21:02
Do they still have LRRP rations. What we used to get were these bags about the size of Lipton meals. I think they were the original Lipton meals in OD almost bullet proof bags. You could cut off the corner and add water. It would hydrate in a couple hours. You could eat them dry but you damn sure had to drink a bunch of water. There were chicken and rice, spagetti, something and noodles.... I think there were only 4 different meals in 1967.

oops...I didn't see the other one post.

Ray
2012-02-29, 21:07
When we were issued c rations, we could not pick what you wanted. They would have the boxes on a counter opened upside down so you could not see what each meal was. As we walked by we took 1 or 2 meals out of the box what ever the quartermaster would give you. There were 12 meals in a box. When you are in line and they open a new box and your meals were in that box.You would hope that someone would get the ham and mother fuckers before it was your turn. Without fail when some one picked the meal they would go, "MOTHER FUCKER." Sometimes that did not work because they would put a box out with 12 meals of................. yea you guessed it. Fuckin' REMFs.You had to learn the locations of the meals by the markings on the box. I could tell upside down where the .... it was turkey. Turkey and dressing? Turkey and gravy? I forget but I liked the turkey and I could find it upside down in any possible orientation.

Later I learned that they recalled one C-rat and it wasn't supposed to be served at all, all supply sgts were supposed to pick it out and trash it. You get one guess which one.

SGT Rock
2012-02-29, 21:08
Do they still have LRRP rations. What we used to get were these bags about the size of Lipton meals. I think they were the original Lipton meals in OD almost bullet proof bags. You could cut off the corner and add water. It would hydrate in a couple hours. You could eat them dry but you damn sure had to drink a bunch of water. There were chicken and rice, spagetti, something and noodles.... I think there were only 4 different meals in 1967.

oops...I didn't see the other one post.They have something like the LRRP rations, but we never got them.

Superman
2012-02-29, 21:13
The important thing for me was getting the peaches or fruit cocktail.

Russell
2012-02-29, 21:15
LRRP, aka lerps. Long Range Recon Patrol. That is what the Rangers were called back then. The reason you had to drink so much water is they had enough salt in them to kill a horse.

Superman
2012-02-29, 21:18
LOL, what...you mean the rations weren't good for our health either....I am shocked. That is , as opposed to the AT healthy diets.:angel:

Russell
2012-02-29, 21:20
I had a little recipe book by Tabasco, no Tabasco just the book. it had a great recipe for peanut butter fudge. You had to have heat to make it. I was a combat engineer, I had C 4; a little chunk of that burned better than an Esbit.

Superman
2012-02-29, 21:25
Oh hell yeah. We had all the c-4 we wanted. I didn't do much cooking myself...nothing good ever came of my cooking. Other guys worked magic with c-rats. The best I could do was ante up.

Russell
2012-02-29, 21:28
Oh hell yeah. We had all the c-4 we wanted. I didn't do much cooking myself...nothing good ever came of my cooking. Other guys worked magic with c-rats. The best I could do was ante up.

You were there before the army decide it was a bad idea to give grunt C 4.

Superman
2012-02-29, 21:35
I don't know if I could have dealt with all the limitations they came up with later.

Russell
2012-02-29, 21:42
I would give the guys in my fire team a chunk at meal time.
But not without instructions.

SGT Rock
2012-02-29, 21:46
Don't stomp it out.

Russell
2012-02-29, 21:53
Did they get you, Rock? We would get a cherry to do it once or twice.

SGT Rock
2012-02-29, 22:06
Nope. Or Drill Sergeants warned us of that when we were in AIT doing demo.

Russell
2012-02-29, 22:16
Fucker!

Bearpaw
2012-02-29, 22:41
RCWs (ration, cold weather) were actually decent. It was two bags, breakfast and snacks, and dinner and snacks. Breakfast was huge bag of reconstituted oatmeal. Dinner was freeze-dried whatever. Snacks were nuts, chocolate bars, LOTS of hot-wets (cocoa, cider, strawberry soup - good in the oatmeal, chicken noodle soup), etc. A lot like regular cold-weather backpacking food. About 4000 calories if you ate it all. You still lost weight while on skis pulling a sled.