PDA

View Full Version : Hey smart people

SGT Rock
2012-03-11, 15:57
I think it was Ray that posted a video about this stuff last year: http://www.neverwet.com/product-characteristics.php

I was thinking of getting some and spraying my old boonie hat which is nylon/cotton and see if it made it work more like a wicking polyester. Any idea if this would actually work?

I can't seem to find it anywhere. I guess it hasn't been released for consumers yet.

Ray
2012-03-11, 16:14
Before all them smart people get here....

My guess is that they'e working with fabric manufacturers rather than consumers.

Because that there's where the money is.

sheepdog
2012-03-11, 20:07
I'm watching my neighbor pull his sled out of the lake. I guess the ice is getting thin.

Superman
2012-03-11, 20:12
I'm watching my neighbor pull his sled out of the lake. I guess the ice is getting thin.

Being a jailer makes you good at just watching people...huh?

Kanga
2012-03-11, 20:30
Well, I can tell by the thread title you're already barkin up the wrong tree.

Superman
2012-03-11, 20:40
He lost me with :smart."

sheepdog
2012-03-11, 20:51
Being a jailer makes you good at just watching people...huh?

I excel at watching.

Austin
2012-03-13, 09:14
I'm am excellent driver.

MonkeyBoy
2012-03-13, 10:14
I would agree with what Ray said.

Their website posted something to the effect of going commercial before going open to the public.

SGT Rock
2012-03-13, 10:48
I'm in no hurry. I was mainly wondering if it would work.

Russell
2012-03-13, 11:07
When I hiked in '93, I could not afford a rain hat so I coated my boonie hat with Thompsons waterseal.

It worked great. I also used it to recoat the floor of my Clip Flashlight for the next 7 years.

And Rock, I did not weigh it but I can say that, it did not weigh very much.

SGT Rock
2012-03-13, 11:14
I'm sure it didn't. I hope to get some of this stuff when it comes out. Looks like it could work for lots of applications like putting a coating on the outside of your pack to give you a little extra barrier to drizzel and such.

MonkeyBoy
2012-03-13, 13:14
Read an article about how you can waterproof your tent with Thompson's Water Seal and a foam brush.

Sounds interesting about using it on clothing or backpack.

JAK
2012-03-13, 17:57
Toblerone was 3D first.

Lugnut
2012-03-13, 18:58
Read an article about how you can waterproof your tent with Thompson's Water Seal and a foam brush.

That should make it nice and flammable! :albertein

Nearly Normal
2012-03-13, 19:19

Causes cancer in California.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-03-13, 20:18
Huh? :stupido2:

JAK
2012-03-14, 09:50
Good thing we don't live in California eh.

Oops. Sorry Law Dawg.

MonkeyBoy
2012-03-14, 10:21
Causes cancer in California.

A lot of things are marked as causing cancer in California that aren't marked anywhere else in the world.

Being marked for cancer in California means one person in a million Californians got cancer and was utilizing said product somewhere on their property when they were diagnosed with cancer.

Reminds me of this episode of "House", only with reverse logic....

Rf_gzZU21K8

MonkeyBoy
2012-03-14, 10:22

Just about any waterproofing makes a NYLON tent more flammable........

JAK
2012-03-14, 10:31
I wonder if you could try lanolin. If you can't get the stuff you treat wool with you could get it from a drug store, as it is also used be women when breast feeding. Not sure how you would apply it. Maybe thin it with something like alcohol, or just let it melt into hot water and then give your clothes a soak. Maybe try some beeswax also for a better seal. I tried shellac on sneakers years ago for sailing, before wetsuits were common. Too stiff.

If worried about fire, they used to soak cotton duck in alum, aka hydrated potassium aluminium sulfate. To kill two birds with one stone you could try using a deodorant stick containing aluminum. This should fireproof it, as it contain alum, and might also give your the water repellant properties you are looking for.

Alum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Lanolin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanolin

JAK
2012-03-14, 10:37
I wonder if getting it soaked in sweat and letting it dry might serve the same purpose.

Cuffs
2012-03-14, 10:46

That would make it nice and inflammable too!

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-03-14, 15:54
A lot of things are marked as causing cancer in California that aren't marked anywhere else in the world.

Being marked for cancer in California means one person in a million Californians got cancer and was utilizing said product somewhere on their property when they were diagnosed with cancer.

100% of Kalifornia cancer victims have used oxygen...therefore oxygen causes cancer in Kalifornia. :albertein

SGT Rock
2012-03-14, 16:01
I wonder if getting it soaked in sweat and letting it dry might serve the same purpose.

It could at least serve as a theft deterrent.