PDA

View Full Version : Everest Mountaineer - left for dead, survives...

Cuffs
2012-03-22, 17:36
I read this story and saw a documentary on this guy shortly after the ordeal. He was trying to summit Mount Everest and was only a few hundred yards when he succumbed to sickness with the altitude and cold. He was left for dead. Another climbing party found him the next day. Instead of completing their own summit, they chose to rescue him. One of the rescue guys was on his 3rd and final attempt, the other 2 were not successful either.
Prior to the rescue, Base Camp had called his family and told them that he had passed and was left on the mountain.

http://www.rd.com/true-stories/survival/hiker-left-for-dead-on-mount-everest/3/

After the rescue, they had to call the family again and tell him he was indeed alive. Yesterday, he succumbed to cancer...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/australian-mountaineer-lincoln-hall-left-for-dead-near-everest-peak-in-2006-dies-of-cancer/2012/03/21/gIQAPPmzRS_story.html

Unique and moving story.

Superman
2012-03-22, 18:29
...but is he really dead this time?

MonkeyBoy
2012-03-22, 19:04
If you've ever read "Into Thin Air", he writes about a guy that was left for dead like three times during the whole fiasco, and he's one of the few that actually got off the mountain and lived in the group.

ed bell
2012-03-22, 20:26
Gotta say that while many of these high altitude adventure stories are great reads, there's a certain ugly, ego-driven side to them that can be rather disgusting. "Into Thin Air" had some aspects of that, coupled with other people's versions of events that make you wonder what is really going on up there at times.

MonkeyBoy
2012-03-22, 22:30
I agree.....which is why I didn't understand how the parents of that 14yr old would allow him to summit Everest....too much to go wrong in way to fast of a time period.

Cuffs
2012-03-22, 23:52
If you get the chance, watch 'Touching the Void. ' documentary.

Two climbers in south America. One had to cut the other loose and left him for dead. Both survived and are commentators in the movie.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-03-23, 12:39
When it's you time it's your time...

Love personal stories like these for that very life lesson reason.

SGT Rock
2012-03-23, 12:44
True, but a sport where even success might mean missing fingers and toes for the rest of your life just doesn't sound good for me.

Ewker
2012-03-23, 12:56
If you get the chance, watch 'Touching the Void. ' documentary.

Two climbers in south America. One had to cut the other loose and left him for dead. Both survived and are commentators in the movie.

that was an awesome movie. I need to find it and watch it again

Cuffs
2012-03-23, 13:00
that was an awesome movie. I need to find it and watch it again

I think its on netflix? Just checked, it is!

mudhead
2012-03-23, 13:05
True, but a sport where even success might mean missing fingers and toes for the rest of your life just doesn't sound good for me.

And that's the gentle stuff.

Strikes me as a sport similar to car surfing or playing in interstate traffic. To each their own.