PDA

View Full Version : learn more about hammocks

tramp
2012-03-22, 23:28
Can anyone give me a good web site to learn more about hammock camping ? Had an old g.I. jungle hammock long ago and would like to find another one. What about us side sleepers, can we be comfortable in one ? Can one of you hammock hangers help me out ?

Cuffs
2012-03-22, 23:48
Hammock forums.net

SGT Rock
2012-03-23, 04:47
Can anyone give me a good web site to learn more about hammock camping ? Had an old g.I. jungle hammock long ago and would like to find another one. What about us side sleepers, can we be comfortable in one ? Can one of you hammock hangers help me out ?

Cuffs has posted a very good place to go learn. It can be like drinking from a fire hose though if you don't know where to start.

Side sleepers do well in a hammock. You will probably find a lot better hammocks around than the old jungle hammocks though.

tramp
2012-03-23, 09:13
Where do you buy hammocks ? Does rei or campmor sell them ?

Hog On Ice
2012-03-23, 09:31
just google camping hammocks - some of the better vendors show up on the first page - for example warbonnetoutdoors.com

Cuffs
2012-03-23, 09:56
There's a list of brands and vendors on hammockforums

Hog On Ice
2012-03-23, 10:39
sorry Cuffs - due to my dislike of the owner of that forum I will never recommend anyone to visit it

Cuffs
2012-03-23, 10:43
Wow HOI, and I thought I was the only one who didnt like the folks who run that site!

rhjanes
2012-03-23, 11:07
Hammock Forums is still one of the best places for tons of information about hammocks. Tip however:. Go to Youtube and look for "Shug", you will SEE all things hammock and the guy is a riot (he's a retired clown with Ringling Brothers and now free lances). Look at the cottage industries, Warbonnet, Dutch (clips and suspension), hammockgear....

Crikey
2012-03-23, 11:40
sorry Cuffs - due to my dislike of the owner of that forum I will never recommend anyone to visit it

http://www.webutation.net/go/review/hammockforums.net#

You can do some criticism here if you prefer.

Hog On Ice
2012-03-23, 12:25
I prefer to never have anything to do with that scum owner and the koolaid drinking hammock cult members that suck up to him

Ewker
2012-03-23, 12:31
Wow HOI, and I thought I was the only one who didnt like the folks who run that site!

are you talking about the owner or the mods on the site?

Hog On Ice
2012-03-23, 12:32
I am talking about the owner and the people who support the owner

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-03-23, 12:33
Hammock Forums is good if you stick to hammocks exclusively. Wander from that reservation and you are going to see the mods in action with semi consistent results. Drinking from a fire hose is a very apt description as the info overload is HUGE...the acronym language alone is daunting. The videos by Shug are gold IMO and not to be missed for a beginner. The hammock community is the only group I know of that is as nutso about tweaking their gear as the motorcycle community. Buckle up, the learning process is a ride but ultimately it becomes simple.

I'd consider looking to a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock first. It is a space shuttle compared to the Vietnam era hammock. Their site will walk you through the decision process. http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/

SGT Rock
2012-03-23, 12:42
My recommendation on hammocks these days is sort of like my stove recommendations. Try making one and if you like it, you have only spend minimal money and can be satisfied. If it doesn't work for you, at least you have a frame of reference for what you want.

You can make a hammock with 3 yards of material, usually you want to go 60" wide for your first one, then you can decide if you want more narrow of wider based on experience in it. My first DIY hammock was made from 3 yards of material I got from Wal-Mart from their $1 per yard remnants and some cord from my local outfitter's climbing section. I think I spent $12 on it and hiked over 800 miles with it. My very first hammock I spent real money on was in 2000 on a Hennessy and I liked it for years, but once I made my first hammock I realized more what I wanted out of a hammock and build them myself for my specs.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-03-28, 00:58
I prefer to never have anything to do with that scum owner and the koolaid drinking hammock cult members that suck up to him

Hmmmm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmS_hMnFNVM

SGT Rock
2012-03-28, 04:39
Good movie

JDBaughman
2012-04-26, 02:11
My recommendation on hammocks these days is sort of like my stove recommendations. Try making one and if you like it, you have only spend minimal money and can be satisfied. If it doesn't work for you, at least you have a frame of reference for what you want.

You can make a hammock with 3 yards of material, usually you want to go 60" wide for your first one, then you can decide if you want more narrow of wider based on experience in it. My first DIY hammock was made from 3 yards of material I got from Wal-Mart from their $1 per yard remnants and some cord from my local outfitter's climbing section. I think I spent $12 on it and hiked over 800 miles with it. My very first hammock I spent real money on was in 2000 on a Hennessy and I liked it for years, but once I made my first hammock I realized more what I wanted out of a hammock and build them myself for my specs.

Rock, you know of any hosted sewing patterns for hammocks... My wife said shed sew me one up if I can get some patterns for her... She's quite the seamstress

JDBaughman
2012-04-27, 02:52
Nevermind, I found a good one.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 10:36
Sorry, I was out hiking.

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 13:37
Sorry, I was out hiking.

What's that?

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 14:19
its where two inseams rub together over and over and over

dixicritter
2012-05-02, 15:19

+1 for HOI!

saimyoji
2012-05-02, 22:06

you talking about sex?

JDBaughman
2012-05-03, 01:01
How do you (anyone) feel about E.N.O. Hammocks? Shitty? Waste of money?

Cuffs
2012-05-03, 02:29
You do realize you are asking for input so be prepared to take all answers given. Got your big boy unnerpants on?

SGT Rock
2012-05-03, 02:29
Good starter hammock. I also like this one: http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/hammocks/camoflauge-hammock

ENO and Hammock Bliss "parachute" style hammocks have some stretch to the material. Some like it, others do not. I've generally found less stretch is better.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-03, 07:52
for the money they are reasonably good but generally you will want to replace the suspension system - don't get the slap straps - a simple replacement that I used for a couple years was a descender ring on each end of the hammock (replacing a heavy 'biner) and a 12-15 ft polyester/polypro strap on each side (not nylon) - round turn and two half hitches to tie the strap to the tree and a girth hitch to tie the strap to the ring

for bug free times I still use that type of hammock but currently my suspension is whoopie sling based using a 4 ft tree strap and a WS with Dutch's whoopie hooks to hook onto a Amsteel loop at the hammock

note the fabric in these types of hammocks is somewhat prone to getting holes so be real careful to keep it away from any metal objects (ex back pocket zipper pulls) and make sure that it does not get snagged by thorns or rubbed across rocks - I have had a major failure due to the hammock hitting/rubbing across some rocks when I sat in it - first time I sat it was too low and hit the rocks - adjusted the hang and sat in it again and my ass hit the ground through the blown out hammock

another general note - make sure that you use a reasonable sag angle (30 deg. is generally good) - too tight a hang makes it somewhat difficult to get out of the hammock and a less than comfortable hang

JDBaughman
2012-05-03, 12:10
Good starter hammock. I also like this one: http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/hammocks/camoflauge-hammock

ENO and Hammock Bliss "parachute" style hammocks have some stretch to the material. Some like it, others do not. I've generally found less stretch is better.

I was looking at the Grand Trunk Hammocks... they are generally $10-$20 cheaper than ENO... But I figured, because of the materials used, would be lesser quality... Obviously not though

SGT Rock
2012-05-03, 12:19
Just different. I also totally agree with HOI ref suspension.

chumpchange
2012-05-03, 12:27
do you hammock fellers ever run up on situations where there aren't a good pair of trees to hang it from?

Hog On Ice
2012-05-03, 12:49
yes and no - a particular area might not have good trees but I keep walking and I will find good trees or if not good then good enough alternatives - ex at Enloe Creek campsite I tied one end of the hammock to the bridge

sheepdog
2012-05-03, 13:20
do you hammock fellers ever run up on situations where there aren't a good pair of trees to hang it from?

sometimes I tie one end to a tree and hold up the other end myself. I then sleep standin up.

SGT Rock
2012-05-03, 13:54
Occasionally I cannot camp exactly where I plan but I walk on. The usual problem is trees that are too big for my straps or too far away from each other. I've since made a couple of strap extenders that have solved this problem for the most part. In the last 600 miles or so of hiking I've had to use them once or twice. Here in the east it ain't a huge issue since we have millions of trees, but out west hiking that could be more of an issue.

My system for shelter is such that if I couldn't use trees I could still lay on the ground and use my tarp and trekking poles to make a shelter. I haven't needed to do that yet, but I could if I had to.

john pickett
2012-05-04, 00:37
Risk, www.imrisk.com iirc,
has a way of guying one end of a hammock to a boulder, car bumper,
etc. using a strong pole or piece of wood.

Big Mac
2012-05-04, 11:40
Hammock nerds. Sigh . . .

Cuffs
2012-05-04, 11:47
Risk, www.imrisk.com iirc,
has a way of guying one end of a hammock to a boulder, car bumper,
etc. using a strong pole or piece of wood.

Ive used a climbing cam as a tie out point for one end and a tree for the other.

SGT Rock
2012-05-04, 12:40
I've hung off HUMMVs and 5 ton trucks.

Bearpaw
2012-05-04, 22:45

Nope.

warraghiyagey
2012-05-10, 09:13

sheepdog
2012-05-10, 10:05

A pretty girl behind every tree.

tramp
2012-08-22, 22:10
I would love to have a hand made sgt. Rock hammock. When you make them to sell please let me know !!