PDA

View Full Version : Lensatic Compass needed for CDT??

SunnyWalker
2012-04-03, 00:04
I bought the wonderful, indestructible, accurate, fantastic, GI Lensatic compass awhile back. I wonder now about using it on CDT. I know I could probably get by with a lighter compass by Silva, Sunnto, etc. Here is a question to those of you who use map and compass to navigate on CDT. Lensatic compass needed? Or is that "degree of accuracy" not needed for this hike? THANKS.

Mags
2012-04-03, 20:23
A basic compass is fine.

You are not finding brass markers in the middle of the woods (that's what as buddy said he did with compass in the army anyway! Guess it was for "Sgt. School" aka PLDC). A simple and light compass like a Silva is not only lighter, but easier to use for navigation purposes on the CDT.

SunnyWalker
2012-04-15, 15:19
Thanks Mags! I have asked this once before and received the same answer. I guess it is the little boy in me wanting to take at least one toy with me. Well, I will be putting that lensatic compass on ebay to get rid of it. I ordered and received a baseplate Silva this week. Real nice light one and I used them for years already so am familiar with them. I just wanted someone to say, "Yeah, take it you'll need that lensatic compass!" I guess it's hard to let go of. However, I am following thru on lightweight hiking. Otherwise I don't think I'll make it. Less than a year now. This next April I set off Northbound on CDT. I retired with the State of TX end of March 2013. Will start out that next week. Thanks, Mags.

JDBaughman
2012-04-17, 23:44
Well, the Cammenga Lensatic Compass (GI Issue) is really made for long distance with minimal map checking. It's madto serve a squad while on patrol... It needs to be very accurate as y need to be confident that your heading in the right direction for as long as possible.. Because you might come under fire and not get another chance to stop and check your map... Thats just based off my experience with it in the USMC...

Bearpaw
2012-04-18, 19:01
Well, the Cammenga Lensatic Compass (GI Issue) is really made for long distance with minimal map checking. It's madto serve a squad while on patrol... It needs to be very accurate as y need to be confident that your heading in the right direction for as long as possible.. Because you might come under fire and not get another chance to stop and check your map... Thats just based off my experience with it in the USMC...

The lensatic (or bullseye) compass is made for a high degree of accuracy on each "shot". You fold out the lid and "rear sight" and aim in on a point like a rifle sight, then fold down the rear sight, with its magnet, and it would hold your azimuth in place. If you are shooting a two or 3-point resection to determine your location, this accuracy is important. I used it many times when setting up an OP, as an artillery FO. It was also useful for forest service rangers when shooting directions for spotting fires from multiple towers.

But for orienting a map and basic route-finding, it's overkill. And pretty damned heavy.

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:32
Y'all are really gram wienies when a compass is heavy.

Skidsteer
2012-04-18, 22:53
Well. it does weigh a pound.

That's a weeks worth of booze.

Jus' sayin'.

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:57

Jus' sayin'.
freeze dried Merlot??

JDBaughman
2012-04-19, 13:08

Jus' sayin'.

LOL!

straight to the point.

Touché

Kanga
2012-04-19, 13:35

Jus' sayin'.

i call bullshit. i have seen you drink. one pound is less than 1/2 a liter. that would last you all of 20 minutes.

Skidsteer
2012-04-19, 17:11
i call bullshit. i have seen you drink. one pound is less than 1/2 a liter. that would last you all of 20 minutes.

You hush.

Kanga
2012-04-19, 17:56
fine. 10 minutes. whatever.

Mags
2012-04-20, 21:02
Y'all are really gram wienies when a compass is heavy.

NAah..more about the KISS principle. Plus, I really do think it is easier vs a lensatic compass IMO.

And it does free up more space for booze:

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/d/14533-2/acua.jpg

Skidsteer
2012-04-20, 21:09
See?

Even Mags agrees with me.

SunnyWalker
2012-04-23, 01:05
The Lensatic compass goes on sale tomorrow on ebay. -SunnyWalker

sheepdog
2012-04-23, 16:40
what if you decide to go into the wilderness and need a real compass?

SunnyWalker
2012-05-21, 13:27
To all you made comments about using the Cammenga while in the military, Thank You for your service!

chumpchange
2012-05-21, 14:01

things could go South quickly.

Superman
2012-05-21, 21:46

I've spent a lot of time being lost...it's not so bad.

sheepdog
2012-05-22, 07:25
how lost can you get in NH???

Superman
2012-05-22, 07:54
how lost can you get in NH???

I haven't always been in NH.

SGT Rock
2012-05-22, 20:19
And I hear Krypton did not have a magnetic north.

sheepdog
2012-05-22, 21:05

:laugh::laugh:

Bearpaw
2012-05-22, 21:53

I've spent lots of time in real wilderness with a Silva compass. It does just fine.

Superman
2012-05-22, 22:59

I can be lost on any number of planets.:angel:

Hog On Ice
2012-05-22, 23:27
I can be lost on any number of planets.:angel:

usually after Daisy whacks him good and he is seeing things