PDA

View Full Version : Why trees matter

Weary
2012-04-12, 11:27
Here's a great piece from the OP-Ed pages of the New York Times today. The author is Jim Robbins, who has a new book on the subject. I especially liked the claim that the presence of trees tends to reduce crime. Maybe that's why trails are the safest place one can be these days.

"TREES are on the front lines of our changing climate. And when the oldest trees in the world suddenly start dying, it’s time to pay attention.

"North America’s ancient alpine bristlecone forests are falling victim to a voracious beetle and an Asian fungus. In Texas, a prolonged drought killed more than five million urban shade trees last year and an additional half-billion trees in parks and forests. In the Amazon, two severe droughts have killed billions more.

"The common factor has been hotter, drier weather.

"We have underestimated the importance of trees. They are not merely pleasant sources of shade but a potentially major answer to some of our most pressing environmental problems. We take them for granted, but they are a near miracle. In a bit of natural alchemy called photosynthesis, for example, trees turn one of the seemingly most insubstantial things of all — sunlight — into food for insects, wildlife and people, and use it to create shade, beauty and wood for fuel, furniture and homes.

"For all of that, the unbroken forest that once covered much of the continent is now shot through with holes.

Humans have cut down the biggest and best trees and left the runts behind. What does that mean for the genetic fitness of our forests? No one knows for sure, for trees and forests are poorly understood on almost all levels. “It’s embarrassing how little we know,” one eminent redwood researcher told me.

What we do know, however, suggests that what trees do is essential though often not obvious. Decades ago, Katsuhiko Matsunaga, a marine chemist at Hokkaido University in Japan, discovered that when tree leaves decompose, they leach acids into the ocean that help fertilize plankton. When plankton thrive, so does the rest of the food chain. In a campaign called Forests Are Lovers of the Sea, fishermen have replanted forests along coasts and rivers to bring back fish and oyster stocks. And they have returned.

Trees are nature’s water filters, capable of cleaning up the most toxic wastes, including explosives, solvents and organic wastes, largely through a dense community of microbes around the tree’s roots that clean water in exchange for nutrients, a process known as phytoremediation. Tree leaves also filter air pollution. A 2008 study by researchers at Columbia University found that more trees in urban neighborhoods correlate with a lower incidence of asthma.

"In Japan, researchers have long studied what they call “forest bathing.” A walk in the woods, they say, reduces the level of stress chemicals in the body and increases natural killer cells in the immune system, which fight tumors and viruses. Studies in inner cities show that anxiety, depression and even crime are lower in a landscaped environment.

"Trees also release vast clouds of beneficial chemicals. On a large scale, some of these aerosols appear to help regulate the climate; others are anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral. We need to learn much more about the role these chemicals play in nature. One of these substances, taxane, from the Pacific yew tree, has become a powerful treatment for breast and other cancers. Aspirin’s active ingredient comes from willows.

"Trees are greatly underutilized as an eco-technology. “Working trees” could absorb some of the excess phosphorus and nitrogen that run off farm fields and help heal the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico. In Africa, millions of acres of parched land have been reclaimed through strategic tree growth.

"Trees are also the planet’s heat shield. They keep the concrete and asphalt of cities and suburbs 10 or more degrees cooler and protect our skin from the sun’s harsh UV rays. The Texas Department of Forestry has estimated that the die-off of shade trees will cost Texans hundreds of millions of dollars more for air-conditioning. Trees, of course, sequester carbon, a greenhouse gas that makes the planet warmer. A study by the Carnegie Institution for Science also found that water vapor from forests lowers ambient temperatures.

A big question is, which trees should we be planting? Ten years ago, I met a shade tree farmer named David Milarch, a co-founder of the Champion Tree Project who has been cloning some of the world’s oldest and largest trees to protect their genetics, from California redwoods to the oaks of Ireland. “These are the supertrees, and they have stood the test of time,” he says.

Science doesn’t know if these genes will be important on a warmer planet, but an old proverb seems apt. “When is the best time to plant a tree?” The answer: “Twenty years ago. The second-best time? Today.”'

Jim Robbins is the author of the forthcoming book “The Man Who Planted Trees.”

A version of this op-ed appeared in print on April 12, 2012, on page A27 of the New York edition with the headline: Why Trees Matter..

SGT Rock
2012-04-12, 11:46
I love trees.

Big Mac
2012-04-12, 11:51
Trees are good.

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 12:06
i have trees

Ewker
2012-04-12, 12:26
Trees are good.

except when they start to rot on the inside

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 12:33

i have two doing that. 10 years ago a tree guy told me i should have them taken down. they are still standing and have a nice canopy.

SGT Rock
2012-04-12, 12:58
Well at least it won't be a surprise when they crush your car.

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 13:01
One is well away from anything except other trees. One is over my bedroom... and my headboard is against the outside wall. I think I will catch a shotgun blast before the tree falls, but I digress.

saimyoji
2012-04-12, 13:01
none of you actually read that whole article, admit it....

i like trees too....

Ewker
2012-04-12, 13:06
Well at least it won't be a surprise when they crush your car.

I had one in my front yard that always worried me about doing that. One morning a large branch was laying beside my car. It just barely missed it. That weekend I had it cut down

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 13:17

i like trees too....

i read it. thought it was a very interesting read at that.

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 13:19
I had one in my front yard that always worried me about doing that. One morning a large branch was laying beside my car. It just barely missed it. That weekend I had it cut down

our scoutmaster woke up one morning, took his tent down, turned around 30 minutes later and there was a big branch laying where his tent was. i asked him the same thing i drill into the scouts, 'what is the first thing / most important thing you do before setting up your tent?'

Ewker
2012-04-12, 13:30
One is well away from anything except other trees. One is over my bedroom... and my headboard is against the outside wall. I think I will catch a shotgun blast before the tree falls, but I digress.

JERMM
2012-04-12, 13:33

you would be correct, one look...too many words and no pictures

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-12, 13:35

Trees ain't the only thing that starts to rot inside...:burnout:

i had one in my front yard that always worried me about doing that. One morning a large branch was laying beside my car. It just barely missed it. That weekend i had it cut down

Oh and; BLASPHEMER!! :adore: those trees don't murder them. :vroam:

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 13:36

crap... now i gotta run home and call the insurance company...

Cuffs
2012-04-12, 15:58
you would be correct, one look...too many words and no pictures

zactly!

mudhead
2012-04-12, 16:13
I love trees.

I like goofy girls that love trees.

SGT Rock
2012-04-12, 16:18
3917It was probably only dead on the inside. Most times a hardwood falls on my trail this is the case.

Ray
2012-04-12, 16:37
our scoutmaster woke up one morning, took his tent down, turned around 30 minutes later and there was a big branch laying where his tent was. i asked him the same thing i drill into the scouts, 'what is the first thing / most important thing you do before setting up your tent?'Take it down?

Hooch
2012-04-12, 18:29
Hell, without trees where are we gonna get paper and cardboard milk cartons?

Trees are cool, but I still like eggs.

saimyoji
2012-04-12, 18:29
trees are cool, but i still like BOOBS!

Kanga
2012-04-12, 18:52
when i saw this thread, i was all like, "aww! where ya been, weary?" and then 2 sentences later, i was all like, "my eyes! MY EYES!!!"

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 18:59
when i saw this thread, i was all like, "aww! where ya been, weary?" and then 2 sentences later, i was all like, "my eyes! MY EYES!!!"

lol... what did you expect?

JAK
2012-04-12, 19:04
I wants to plant some trees this weekend.

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 19:06
I plan to water some trees next weekend.

SGT Rock
2012-04-12, 19:13
Me too.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-12, 19:27

Wheew...talk about your global warming! They go real good with :beerglass too. :angel:

SGT Rock
2012-04-12, 20:37

http://2.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/3/8/collegehumor.868541c38cadd086754cf37877dbf911.jpg

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 20:41
so does this tree...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQy_1r8cgPjrHz70OCTIo3YI5OhL2yF2 mAIP4A7Hq-g7_z9BvPvdq0EA8rKGA

sheepdog
2012-04-12, 20:53
my dog likes trees.

Hog On Ice
2012-04-12, 21:15
your dog is a hammocker ?

sheepdog
2012-04-12, 21:40
zacktly

MonkeyBoy
2012-04-12, 21:41
I like eggs

sheepdog
2012-04-12, 21:41
how about eggs in trees??

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 21:45
Eggs in hammocks

Lugnut
2012-04-12, 22:07
Trees and eggs go together well. When I was a kid we used to suspend eggs with thread from tree limbs over the street at windshield level. Took a lot of work but the payoff was priceless! (yes, they had cars when I was young)

saimyoji
2012-04-12, 22:08
Boobs in hammocks...

NSFW

MonkeyBoy
2012-04-12, 22:10
how about eggs in trees??

There's no such thing as eggplants......

Hog On Ice
2012-04-12, 22:17
cucumbers on the other hand ...

saimyoji
2012-04-12, 22:17
aubergines....

Skidsteer
2012-04-12, 22:30
I like trees 'cause it's one mo than toos.

Tin Man
2012-04-12, 22:47
cucumbers on the other hand ...

... Are not real cumbers

cool breeze
2012-04-12, 22:57

I like nipples, without them boobs would be pointless.

john pickett
2012-04-13, 02:44
Cucumberland Island?

Rosaleen
2012-04-13, 20:45
Children, I LIKED this thread, for a while. The tree article was so good that I was going to send a link to several friends. WAS!!

Sheesh!

SGT Rock
2012-04-13, 20:54
I like nipples, without them boobs would be pointless.Like a cake without icing?

Superman
2012-04-13, 21:02
I've killed more trees than most folks have.

Tin Man
2012-04-13, 21:51
that's cuz you had access to major league ordinance. not fair!

Tin Man
2012-04-13, 21:53
Children, I LIKED this thread, for a while. The tree article was so good that I was going to send a link to several friends. WAS!!

Sheesh!

google then link the actual article to your friends. put on a tin foil cap if you want to play here. :P

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-13, 21:55
"North America’s ancient alpine bristlecone forests are falling victim to a voracious beetle and an Asian fungus. In Texas, a prolonged drought killed more than five million urban shade trees last year and an additional half-billion trees in parks and forests. In the Amazon, two severe droughts have killed billions more.

So if I read this right; the enemy is bugs, Asians, and the sun? We have tried to deal with bugs and Asians to no effect...the sun is probably not going to be a big success either. We're doomed, doomed I tell ya!! I'm going to go throw my feet up on the Bristlecone pine picnic table and burn beetles with a magnifying glass until I feel better. Not sure what to do about the Asians... :stupido2:

Tin Man
2012-04-13, 21:57
So if I read this right; the enemy is bugs, Asians, and the sun? We have tried to deal with bugs and Asians to no effect...the sun is probably not going to be a big success either. We're doomed, doomed I tell ya!! I'm going to go throw my feet up on the Bristlecone pine picnic table and burn beetles with a magnifying glass until I feel better. :stupido2:

burned beetles before have ya? do they smell like ants when you burn them??

Weary
2012-04-14, 19:43
So if I read this right; the enemy is bugs, Asians, and the sun? We have tried to deal with bugs and Asians to no effect...the sun is probably not going to be a big success either. We're doomed, doomed I tell ya!! I'm going to go throw my feet up on the Bristlecone pine picnic table and burn beetles with a magnifying glass until I feel better. Not sure what to do about the Asians... :stupido2:
I posted the article because it was interesting, and because this site was getting kind of boring for those of us on the outside of the inner chatter.

I'm surprised that so many responded, quite a few even intelligently. Law Dawg (ret) try reading the rest of the article. From years of experience, I've learned that initial graffs are mostly to get your attention. The meat, if any, sometimes comes later.

Superman
2012-04-14, 20:03
It's a lot easier walking around when there aren't all those darn trees in the way.

Hog On Ice
2012-04-14, 20:07
without trees I would have nothing to hang from

Superman
2012-04-14, 20:11

...and yet an ex can always find something to hang a guy from.:albertein

SGT Rock
2012-04-14, 20:18
So if HOI ever hikes the PCT he needs to bring his ex wife?

Tin Man
2012-04-14, 20:28
So if HOI ever hikes the PCT he needs to bring his ex wife?

Hahahahaha

mudhead
2012-04-15, 06:53

You could always engineer a stupor ultra lite folding stand.

But it would be tough breathing.

Austin
2012-04-15, 09:05
I love tress! I think they're vital to our existence.
Especially in the rainforests of South America.
It is very important that these forests be replenished
so as my Burger King will continue to have something
to wrap up my Flame Broiled Whoppers.

...ding, fries are done.

Nearly Normal
2012-04-15, 09:20
I like tree frogs.

Tin Man
2012-04-15, 09:44
It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
~ Robert Louis Stevenson ~

Big Mac
2012-04-15, 10:25
I like tree frogs.

Me too - especially now that I can hear them again.

Weary
2012-04-15, 11:22
Trees and their evolution are fascinating to me. Back in the days when everyone burned wood, my small coastal town was an industrial community. It had a half dozen shipyards, all building wooden sailing ships that carried products from America all over the world -- and often returned with shiploads of slaves. Old photos show a town with vast open fields and pasture lands and with only an occasional dooryard tree.

Today we are a forested town, few big trees, but middle aged trees everywhere. And we now have commercial or at least hobby forestry. Wealthy newcomers who populate our 60 miles of shore frontage often hire professional foresters to mark their backland trees and sell stumpage. It's a new fad -- a way to prove manhood by allowing trees to be cut.

I have mixed feelings. With fuel oil selling for near $4 a gallon, I heat mostly with wood, burned mostly in a world war I era kitchen range. But I resist efforts by those in our land trust, who want to harvest the 500 acres of forest land that we own. My argument is that first made by Henry Thoreau in his essay "Walking." Henry insisted that every town needs a thousand acres where nature does as nature wants, not as man wants. Our woodlands have been cut and re-cut a half dozen times. A few places, I think, now need to be preserved for the forces of nature only to prevail. Well, except for the trails I keep building to entice folks to come and take a look as wild forests return.

Superman
2012-04-15, 11:29
The only useful purpose of trees is to make toothpicks from them. I just had those things cut down on my property. I call it anti-arbor day.

Tin Man
2012-04-15, 11:29
"I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows." ~Henry Thoreau

Big Mac
2012-04-15, 14:39
Trees and their evolution are fascinating to me. Back in the days when everyone burned wood, my small coastal town was an industrial community. It had a half dozen shipyards, all building wooden sailing ships that carried products from America all over the world -- and often returned with shiploads of slaves. Old photos show a town with vast open fields and pasture lands and with only an occasional dooryard tree.

Today we are a forested town, few big trees, but middle aged trees everywhere. And we now have commercial or at least hobby forestry. Wealthy newcomers who populate our 60 miles of shore frontage often hire professional foresters to mark their backland trees and sell stumpage. It's a new fad -- a way to prove manhood by allowing trees to be cut.

I have mixed feelings. With fuel oil selling for near $4 a gallon, I heat mostly with wood, burned mostly in a world war I era kitchen range. But I resist efforts by those in our land trust, who want to harvest the 500 acres of forest land that we own. My argument is that first made by Henry Thoreau in his essay "Walking." Henry insisted that every town needs a thousand acres where nature does as nature wants, not as man wants. Our woodlands have been cut and re-cut a half dozen times. A few places, I think, now need to be preserved for the forces of nature only to prevail. Well, except for the trails I keep building to entice folks to come and take a look as wild forests return.

I agree with Weary here. I'm not a radical tree hugger, but I truly believe there should be some places that we don't interfere with nature.

sheepdog
2012-04-15, 14:59
As a cop, I believe most everything needs to be interfered with occasionally.

jk

Nearly Normal
2012-04-15, 15:03
Planned for and controlled....Settin the woods on fire is a good thing.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-15, 19:26

burned beetles before have ya? do they smell like ants when you burn them??

Well yeah, when I'm not single tracking my 650 through old growth forests or carving my initials in Bristlecone pines (very hard wood for a pine tree!). :evil:

Oh and no beetles don't smell as acidic as ants when they burn. :bebored:

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-15, 19:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wb2wzs7IB0

Kanga
2012-04-15, 20:44

Sheesh!

rosaleen. darlin. you're gonna have to go get your big girl panties and put them on if you're gonna play over here. no snivelin'. that is all.

john pickett
2012-04-15, 20:52
"I like tree frogs"
Would you say they taste more
like chicken? Or eggs?

Hog On Ice
2012-04-15, 20:57
more like chicken but its real tough to gather enough to make a meal

Bearpaw
2012-04-15, 21:06
"I like tree frogs"
Would you say they taste more
like chicken? Or eggs?

Frog legs are a chicken-catfish hybrid, at least to my taste.

more like chicken but its real tough to gather enough to make a meal

Where I grew up in Kentucky, you could gig 8 frogs per night. 16 legs, lightly breaded and fried, makes one true feast of a meal.

Hog On Ice
2012-04-15, 21:14
yeah but we're talking about the freaking little TREE frogs here

Hog On Ice
2012-04-15, 21:17
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Vermicamaennlateral.jpg/800px-Vermicamaennlateral.jpg

Kanga
2012-04-15, 21:32
that's one-a them thar "acid-frogs", ain't it?

Lugnut
2012-04-15, 22:00
Yea, one of them lickin' frogs.

SGT Rock
2012-04-15, 22:33
One of our dachshunds got a hold of one of these. Made her foam up. She said it tasted like "burning"

Cuffs
2012-04-15, 23:44
One of our dachshunds got a hold of one of these. Made her foam up. She said it tasted like "burning"

You sure that wasn't a bufo toad? Theys nasty like that too

Lugnut
2012-04-16, 00:16

I think the fact that your dachshund can talk is a more interesting story. :albertein

SGT Rock
2012-04-16, 00:35
I think the fact that your dachshund can talk is a more interesting story. :albertein

They talk all the time. Just ask my wife.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

mudhead
2012-04-16, 06:24
Every once in a while those little sucker footed frogs will climb a sliding glass door here. Looks cool from inside.

Beats slugs. Get those once in awhile too during wet weather.

john pickett
2012-04-16, 10:01
"Beats slugs"
Treefrogs taste better than slugs?
Dunno, ask Ron Weasley.

chief
2012-04-16, 15:02

Perhaps you'd happier if the wealthy newcomers did not employ professionals to select trees to be cut and just laid bare the landscape like the old town fathers did.

Weary
2012-04-16, 22:45
Perhaps you'd happier if the wealthy newcomers did not employ professionals to select trees to be cut and just laid bare the landscape like the old town fathers did.
I'm not opposed to cutting trees. I live in a wooden house, which I heat with wood. I just want an occasional parcel in which nature, not us wood burners, are the decision makers.

Nor do I really object to the wealthy newcomers cutting their trees. I just don't like the new perception that "real men" don't allow a mature tree to fall down, that everything has to be scientifically controlled. I say, let nature be the decider of what stands or falls on a few parcels of land trust protected acres.

mudhead
2012-04-17, 06:02
Some truth to the fact that dead trees are part of nature. Humus etc. Chickadees favor nesting in dead gray birch. State bird.

Of course the local NP, in their infinite wisdom, cleared several acres of these that were growing in under other open hardwoods.

Looks nice, like a suburban back yard. Couple miles from asphalt.

Nearly Normal
2012-04-17, 13:36
Some truth to the fact that dead trees are part of nature. Humus etc. Chickadees favor nesting in dead gray birch. State bird.

Of course the local NP, in their infinite wisdom, cleared several acres of these that were growing in under other open hardwoods.

Was there some sort of disease threat?
In most cases our DNR encourages land owners to leave dead trees for wildlife use.

Weary
2012-04-17, 15:20

I have a small grove of poplar trees on my 2 acres that are nearing the end of their short lives. I leave the dead ones standing to provide food and habitat for the wood peckers. Occasionally a piliated shows up. Smaller wood peckers are regular visitors.

chief
2012-04-17, 15:24
I'm not opposed to cutting trees. I live in a wooden house, which I heat with wood. I just want an occasional parcel in which nature, not us wood burners, are the decision makers.

Nor do I really object to the wealthy newcomers cutting their trees. I just don't like the new perception that "real men" don't allow a mature tree to fall down, that everything has to be scientifically controlled. I say, let nature be the decider of what stands or falls on a few parcels of land trust protected acres.
Weary, hard to figure out what you're talking about sometimes. How exactly does manhood play into culling old trees? Did I miss the part about a logging competition or something?

Sure you'd like to see your local land trust remain as natural as possible. Let a tree fall where it may, so to speak. Though you might want to think about public access, widow makers and where they might meet. A good forester (science) can help without impacting your "Waldon" sensibilities too much.

sheepdog
2012-04-17, 20:21
I have a small grove of poplar trees on my 2 acres that are nearing the end of their short lives. I leave the dead ones standing to provide food and habitat for the wood peckers. Occasionally a piliated shows up. Smaller wood peckers are regular visitors.

I spent the whole summer of 1992 girdling marked trees with a prison crew for the Michigan DNR. We were making pecker wood.

Superman
2012-04-17, 20:27
I spent the whole summer of 1992 girdling marked trees with a prison crew for the Michigan DNR. We were making pecker wood.

I just had a drunk with a chain saw kill a bunch of my pesky trees.

mudhead
2012-04-17, 20:49
Was there some sort of disease threat?
In most cases our DNR encourages land owners to leave dead trees for wildlife use.

None. Open vista maybe from the carriage path. They had some kids from the college down practicing roping down steep hills and cutting about the same time. I honestly think it was make work for some maintenance guys that suck at "hiding."

Weary, hard to figure out what you're talking about sometimes. How exactly does manhood play into culling old trees? Did I miss the part about a logging competition or something?

Sure you'd like to see your local land trust remain as natural as possible. Let a tree fall where it may, so to speak. Though you might want to think about public access, widow makers and where they might meet. A good forester (science) can help without impacting your "Waldon" sensibilities too much.

I think I understand what he is nattering about. Not sure if I can explain it 100%, but I'll try.
People from the big city move up here, buy 5 acres and think they are homesteaders. There is a certain cache amongst garden gaters to harvest renewable resources. They go to the coffee cafe, sip $6 foam stuff and talk about how they are having their land logged. Most wouldn't even know which end of a saw the oil goes in.

They don't need the $, the wood, or the open land. They need to talk about it.

I think it is the mind set that bothers him. Suburban. No dead limbs allowed to hit the ground and bounce twice before they must be picked up. I can't stand to share air with people like that.

saimyoji
2012-04-17, 21:24
I just had a drunk with a chain saw kill a bunch of my pesky trees.

was it you?

Tin Man
2012-04-17, 21:24
None. Open vista maybe from the carriage path. They had some kids from the college down practicing roping down steep hills and cutting about the same time. I honestly think it was make work for some maintenance guys that suck at "hiding."

I think I understand what he is nattering about. Not sure if I can explain it 100%, but I'll try.
People from the big city move up here, buy 5 acres and think they are homesteaders. There is a certain cache amongst garden gaters to harvest renewable resources. They go to the coffee cafe, sip $6 foam stuff and talk about how they are having their land logged. Most wouldn't even know which end of a saw the oil goes in.

They don't need the $, the wood, or the open land. They need to talk about it.

I think it is the mind set that bothers him. Suburban. No dead limbs allowed to hit the ground and bounce twice before they must be picked up. I can't stand to share air with people like that.

that about sums weary up... and he thinks he is educating them by talking to us... we already know what's what mr. weary... we ain't as dumb as you sound :aetsch:

Superman
2012-04-17, 21:33
was it you?

Not this time.

Weary
2012-04-18, 10:38
that about sums weary up... and he thinks he is educating them by talking to us... we already know what's what mr. weary... we ain't as dumb as you sound :aetsch:
Well, so far I've persuaded all those rich newcomers to give us their money to buy wooded lands, but to leave the trees on that land alone. So I seem to be educating them. Just chatting with you folks. As my original post said this forum was getting kind of boring to me, so I thought I'd liven it up by chatting about trees, you know, those things that grow along most of our hiking trails.

Aside from allowing a few small places for nature to do its thing, preserving trees beside our land trust trails makes hiking more pleasurable for those of us who don't like hiking among stumps.

Tin Man
2012-04-18, 11:04
what? you can't see the pretty new growth forests for the stumps?

chumpchange
2012-04-18, 11:51
stumps make good chairs.

Superman
2012-04-18, 11:57
Daisy wants to plant fruit trees so we can bring the fruit to those damn old people.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-18, 13:05
Just chatting with you idiots. As my original post said this forum was getting kind of boring to me, so I thought I'd liven it up by chatting about trees, you know, those things that grow along most of our hiking trails.

Aside from allowing a few small places for nature to do its thing, preserving trees beside our land trust trails makes hiking more pleasurable for those of us who don't like hiking among stumps.

Fixed it for ya. ;) Can you say smarmy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smarmy)?

Crikey
2012-04-18, 13:38

I bought 5 acres of NC mountain land. Plenty of oaks - some 3-5 ft wide. The only one that got logged snapped off at the top in a thunderstorm, and I put out the word for the local folks to come up and have at it for firewood.

5 acres? Not hardly enough to justify the cost of the equipment to get up there, much less the room to maneuver.

PS the oil goes in where that little drip symbol is :aetsch:

Rosaleen
2012-04-18, 14:17
Honey,

I ALWAYS have my big girl panties on. You can't know that I have three brothers, three sons, 5 years of working in a high school shop, and 10 summers of working in a BSA summer camp. I am quite good at blending in as part of the gang or team, without acting like “one of the boys.” Success and even survival in my experiences have to some extent required I have a blind eye and deaf ear. I’m good with that. Unfortunately, this particular thread just went over the top in its demeaning of women. Everyone has a mother; many here also have sisters, daughters, and/or wives. There is a difference between free speech and irresponsible speech. Not only did the thread slam women, I feel it is an affront to our Armed Services personnel who make sacrifices not only for our freedom of speech but also to protect women from being treated as chattel. I’m not ready to wear a burka.

dixicritter
2012-04-18, 14:40
Honey,

I ALWAYS have my big girl panties on. You can't know that I have three brothers, three sons, 5 years of working in a high school shop, and 10 summers of working in a BSA summer camp. I am quite good at blending in as part of the gang or team, without acting like “one of the boys.” Success and even survival in my experiences have to some extent required I have a blind eye and deaf ear. I’m good with that. Unfortunately, this particular thread just went over the top in its demeaning of women. Everyone has a mother; many here also have sisters, daughters, and/or wives. There is a difference between free speech and irresponsible speech. Not only did the thread slam women, I feel it is an affront to our Armed Services personnel who make sacrifices not only for our freedom of speech but also to protect women from being treated as chattel. I’m not ready to wear a burka.

I think you took some things posted in this thread way too personally. There are many of the posters on this thread that have served in the Armed Services, and I didn't see anything that suggests anyone wants any of us women to wear a burka. This is not Whiteblaze! We do not babysit over here. Threads go in whatever direction they go and most everyone out there familiar with Hikinghq knows this already.

As for the article... I didn't read it all either. LOL

Crikey
2012-04-18, 14:46
What article?

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-18, 14:51
Law Dawg (ret) try reading the rest of the article. From years of experience, I've learned that initial graffs are mostly to get your attention. The meat, if any, sometimes comes later.

I have found that if it smells like crap when you first step in it, it is most likely crap. No need to roll in it to confirm...having soiled your shoe is quite enough thanks.

Knew you was OK!:laugh:

dixicritter
2012-04-18, 15:05
Knew you was OK!:laugh:

I have my moments. :angel:

Tin Man
2012-04-18, 15:08
I have my moments. :angel:

...especially when the monkey fills in when you are away... :D

Lugnut
2012-04-18, 15:34
Monkey Boy rules the board!

(in 5 or 10 minute increments till Dixi catches him). :aetsch:

MonkeyBoy
2012-04-18, 15:55
Monkey Boy rules the board!

I agree..........he's cool.

Big Mac
2012-04-18, 16:18
Honey,

This post offends me. I love and respect women. How else am I going to. Get a sammich?

chumpchange
2012-04-18, 16:24
i know a couple of women that i wish would wear a burka.

Kanga
2012-04-18, 17:21
Honey,

well, those are definitely NOT big girl panties...

also, i think your computer must be auto-correcting everything you read. there was no slamming to women, there was no affront to armed services personnel.

i think i have something here that will help you:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1cwikW7rV1qlh1nvo1_500.jpg

if that doesn't explain it for you, then i'll just say that i'm offended by your whining rant and we'll call it square, k?

Roots
2012-04-18, 17:26
Pass the popcorn....

Cuffs
2012-04-18, 17:50
well, those are definitely NOT big girl panties...

also, i think your computer must be auto-correcting everything you read. there was no slamming to women, there was no affront to armed services personnel.

i think i have something here that will help you:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1cwikW7rV1qlh1nvo1_500.jpg

if that doesn't explain it for you, then i'll just say that i'm offended by your whining rant and we'll call it square, k?

Nice!

I'll see your offended and raise ya a stupid...

Superman
2012-04-18, 17:57
Maybe she posted to the wrong thread?

Cuffs
2012-04-18, 18:08
You cant wear your big girl panties if youve got them in a wad...

Weary
2012-04-18, 18:49
Fixed it for ya. ;) Can you say smarmy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smarmy)?
Nope. But whatever.

saimyoji
2012-04-18, 19:58
Honey,

Dont let the locals scare you away Ros. Let them wear their big girl panties with their big girl parts that fill up those big girl panties. Stick to your guns, don't be bullied....

Superman
2012-04-18, 20:05
Dont let the locals scare you away Ros. Let them wear their big girl panties with their big girl parts that fill up those big girl panties. Stick to your guns, don't be bullied....

Big talk coming from a midget.

saimyoji
2012-04-18, 20:07
someone has to stick up for the little guys...

Superman
2012-04-18, 20:10
You're funnier than your ex said you were.

Skidsteer
2012-04-18, 20:22
Everyone is funnier than their ex says they are.

Nearly Normal
2012-04-18, 20:34
Honey,

Horse piss.

Roots
2012-04-18, 20:44
You guys are killing me! Lmao! It all boils down to having a sense of humor. Some of have one and some of us don't. I guess that's another way to say 'big girl panties' , right...

Tin Man
2012-04-18, 20:49
You guys are killing me! Lmao! It all boils down to having a sense of humor. Some of have one and some of us don't. I guess that's another way to say 'big girl panties' , right...

Yes, but what would gator do?

Bearpaw
2012-04-18, 20:59

Delete them all and let the Matrix sort them out.

Weary
2012-04-18, 21:23
He would kill both the wise and the unwise.

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:05

I'm waiting for the movie.

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:09
http://youtu.be/ElJFYwRtrH4
ElJFYwRtrH4

Skidsteer
2012-04-18, 22:25
I can't believe you went there. :biggrin:

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:26
I can't believe you went there. :biggrin:

I'm quite comfortable in the fire swamp.

Cuffs
2012-04-18, 22:33
Honey,

What does having brothers/sons/working in a HS shop blah blah blah have to do with anything??
Why would you want to 'blend in'? Cant you just be yourself?
Where did said 'demeaning of women' get stated? Please cite your references. If anything in this thread was deemed 'demeaning' to you, you got some thin skin.
Thats one of them thar fancy fi-dolla words isnt it? Why not just say property?

Go home. Grow up. Maybe think about trying it again, but Im still not sure thats gonna be enough...

saimyoji
2012-04-18, 22:38
What does having brothers/sons/working in a HS shop blah blah blah have to do with anything??
Why would you want to 'blend in'? Cant you just be yourself?
Where did said 'demeaning of women' get stated? Please cite your references. If anything in this thread was deemed 'demeaning' to you, you got some thin skin.
Thats one of them thar fancy fi-dolla words isnt it? Why not just say property?

Go home. Grow up. Maybe think about trying it again, but Im still not sure thats gonna be enough...

Ros..you can do it. Dont let them drive you away. Answer with gusto and intellect. Show them you know what's up and silence the haters.....

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:39
Ros..you can do it. Dont let them drive you away. Answer with gusto and intellect. Show them you know what's up and silence the haters.....

that's right. we didn't land on Plymouth rock. Plymouth rock landed on us.

Lone Wolf
2012-04-18, 22:42
if a tree falls in a forest with hippy tree sitters and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? and does anyone give a fuck?

Cuffs
2012-04-18, 22:43
if a tree falls in a forest with hippy tree sitters and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? and does anyone give a fuck?

that made me LOL!

Crikey
2012-04-18, 22:43
Some drunk girl does.

Tin Man
2012-04-18, 22:57
I'm waiting for the movie.

Bring the nodoze. I am waiting for the cliff notes.

sheepdog
2012-04-18, 22:58
Bring the nodoze. I am waiting for the cliff notes.

40 oz Mountain Dew

Tin Man
2012-04-18, 22:59

If it was RH, you would go and make sure he was fine...

Lone Wolf
2012-04-18, 23:02
If it was RH, you would go and make sure he was fine...

yeah but he's not a hippy. he's a Fabio wannabe

Google Image Result for http://bloggingbiblically.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/fabio.jpg

Tin Man
2012-04-18, 23:04
yeah but he's not a hippy. he's a Fabio wannabe

Ok, then wharghy?

Rosaleen
2012-04-19, 09:24
Dixie Critter and (many of you) Guys,

I feel sorry for you if you don’t “get it.” I understand that the site is unedited. I’m OK with that and that sometimes the threads turn silly, if not stupid. I gave some personal background to show that I’ve learned to work successfully with and among guys.

Go ahead and blow off steam. However, this thread did go “over the top” with pictures and comments on women’s anatomy. It became just too demeaning to all women. Anyone across the world can join this forum. Do you mean to portray to the world that while we publicly stand (even fight) for freedom and equality that we, in fact, have little regard for ourselves in general and women in particular?

I’m not about to be bullied away from the forum. I’ve picked up a lot of good information here in the last ten years or more. I would prefer to not need to filter out as much garbage, but I’ve been managing. This time, though, wow! I hope you all will at least think about which comments are innocuous and which are potentially damaging. Neither Dixie Critter nor anyone else should need to edit the site. Who here even wants that?

"R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me!" (Aretha Franklin lyric)

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (George Zimmerman)

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 09:29

I feel sorry for you if you don’t “get it.” I understand that the site is unedited. I’m OK with that and that sometimes the threads turn silly, if not stupid. I gave some personal background to show that I’ve learned to work successfully with and among guys.

Go ahead and blow off steam. However, this thread did go “over the top” with pictures and comments on women’s anatomy. It became just too demeaning to all women. Anyone across the world can join this forum. Do you mean to portray to the world that while we publicly stand (even fight) for freedom and equality that we, in fact, have little regard for ourselves in general and women in particular?

I’m not about to be bullied away from the forum. I’ve picked up a lot of good information here in the last ten years or more. I would prefer to not need to filter out as much garbage, but I’ve been managing. This time, though, wow! I hope you all will at least think about which comments are innocuous and which are potentially damaging. Neither Dixie Critter nor anyone else should need to edit the site. Who here even wants that?

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (George Zimmerman)

You go girl...stand up for what you believe in. Don't let the naysayers stifle you.

You might wanna look into that Zimmerman quote a little deeper though...here, let me help you:

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/04/good-men-do/

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 09:30
Ros,

I think it would be helpful to some if you quoted specific posts that you find questionable.

Rosaleen
2012-04-19, 09:51
Thanks. I attributed the quote as it was shown in another reference. The only value to it was to show I'm not alone in believing one should speak up.

Rosaleen
2012-04-19, 09:55
Repeat what I find objectionable. Ha, ha. You found my sense of humor, um, irony.

This discussion has surpassed the time I have available. Beating dead horses does not accomplish anything.

Bye.

Cuffs
2012-04-19, 09:57
Ros,

I think it would be helpful to some if you quoted specific posts that you find questionable.

I've asked for that too already. Still nothing.

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 09:59
Repeat what I find objectionable. Ha, ha. You found my sense of humor, um, irony.

This discussion has surpassed the time I have available. Beating dead horses does not accomplish anything.

Bye.

Well, you can see where making blanket statements that are disparaging without any evidence to back it up would cause some people to become upset. And some of those people prolly enjoy beating dead horses, damn hillbilies....

Superman
2012-04-19, 09:59
Trees are stupid....all they do is stand around and say "I wood."

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 10:04
some people like wood. i like giving wood...

Crikey
2012-04-19, 10:05

Otis Redding wrote Respect. Before he died, he was a man.

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 10:08
But Aretha was much nicer to look at...

dixicritter
2012-04-19, 11:02
Neither Dixie Critter nor anyone else should need to edit the site. Who here even wants that?

It sounded to me like you did, sorry if that was not what you meant. The picture you mentioned was posted by SGT Rock of a TREE that appeared to have boobs. No one posted any pictures of women's anatomy or those would have been moderated. Being a woman I didn't feel demeaned by any of the comments made in this thread. Maybe that's because I actually know most of the participants and their intentions.

Edited to add: Being as I found the one picture of a woman, it has now been removed. Generally I do not click on all the links that are posted to this site. I have life outside of this site and intend to keep it that way.

shadowmoss
2012-04-19, 11:02
I am a woman, and I found nothing on this thread that offended me. Unless its the fact that you seem to find pictures of a woman's anatomy offensive and claim class-action status to speak for all women on this thread and all women everywhere. I didn't figure out the anti military part. I work for the military. Off-shore, even. So, as a woman, working for the military I saw nothing to offend me.

gungho
2012-04-19, 11:26

wow...really

Lugnut
2012-04-19, 12:05
Edited to add: Being as I found the one picture of a woman, it has now been removed. Generally I do not click on all the links that are posted to this site. I have life outside of this site and intend to keep it that way.

Dixi, I missed the picture of the woman. Would you put it back up so I can see it? :angel:

Kanga
2012-04-19, 13:46

i am offended that you called us all "guys". many of us here are "gals". we have worked and fought so hard for freedom and equality and now you demean us by lumping us all in under "guys". seriously. i am offended. i don't like having to filter through your "stupid" "garbage" to get to the respectful posts where my gender is fairly recognized.

bitches and ho's unite!! peace out.

p.s. also, i don't think you're really alright with the site not being edited because you're still bitching and whining.

p.p.s. also, if you don't like something, you don't have to read it. if you chose to read it anyway and don't like it, you have only yourself to blame. please don't drag us all down into your liberal agenda because you can't control your emotions.
p.p.p.s. also, if this offends you, feel free to go over to wb and whine about how life is so unfair.

Big Mac
2012-04-19, 14:20
i am offended that you called us all "guys". many of us here are "gals". we have worked and fought so hard for freedom and equality and now you demean us by lumping us all in under "guys". seriously. i am offended. i don't like having to filter through your "stupid" "garbage" to get to the respectful posts where my gender is fairly recognized.

p.s. also, i don't think you're really alright with the site not being edited because you're still bitching and whining.

p.p.s. also, if you don't like something, you don't have to read it. if you chose to read it anyway and don't like it, you have only yourself to blame. please don't drag us all down into your liberal agenda because you can't control your emotions.
p.p.p.s. also, if this offends you, feel free to go over to wb and whine about how life is so unfair.

Now that you have that off your chest, go make me a sammich.

Crikey
2012-04-19, 14:38
And that, boys and girls, is why trees matter.

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 15:03
I blame weary for the vitriol and rancor on this thread. He should be banned...

Tin Man
2012-04-19, 15:07

I pray the trees holding my dixi special hammock for the next there nights won't let down.

Big Mac
2012-04-19, 15:09
I applaud Weary for livening things up around here. I liked the article, but I like trees. . .

. . . and eggs.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-04-19, 15:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP_7FIpPFEQ

Superman
2012-04-19, 15:37
I give Daisy wood....rather than plastic.

saimyoji
2012-04-19, 15:48
you mean when she unlocks your junk and lets you be a man every once in a while?

Tin Man
2012-04-19, 16:11
2pm and serious questions were raised, camp at 2 mile marker or hike another 7 past the camp free zone. We wanted to hike, but the scotch said no.

Big Mac
2012-04-19, 16:16
2pm and serious questions were raised, camp at 2 mile marker or hike another 7 past the camp free zone. We wanted to hike, but the scotch said no.

Holy hell, why don't you quit posting and enjoy your hike?

Lugnut
2012-04-19, 16:25

It's 2PM and you've only made it two miles? What the hell are you doing, crawling? :albertein

chief
2012-04-19, 16:59
While this virtual cat fight is all very interesting, there are poor hookers in Colombia getting stiffed by SS agents. That's offensive!

Cuffs
2012-04-19, 17:12

Oh leave the poor tender thing alone. She's got her twat ina knot and apparently it's painful. Hence the whining. Maybe when she gets laid she'll feel better. Know can I have a bacon taco please?!?

See, I didn't say go make me a sammich!

Kanga
2012-04-19, 17:22

MAybe this is how he enjoys his hike? HMHDI!

Kanga
2012-04-19, 17:55
While this virtual cat fight is all very interesting, there are poor hookers in Colombia getting stiffed by SS agents. That's offensive!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/581380_10150671572151837_587546836_9725349_3743152 06_n.jpg

Tin Man
2012-04-19, 18:09

I'm enjoying rubbing it in ...

Tin Man
2012-04-19, 18:14
MAybe this is how he enjoys his hike? HMHDI!

See, kanga met me, kanga gets me..
Thank you kanga. I can get my own sammich.

Thank you dixi, the hammock still works and my nap was sweet.

Now let happy hour begin bitchs

Big Mac
2012-04-19, 18:38
I'm enjoying rubbing it in ...

I know

Bastid

sheepdog
2012-04-19, 20:20
I applaud Weary for livening things up around here. I liked the article, but I like trees. . .

. . . and eggs.

bravo!!!

warraghiyagey
2012-04-24, 09:06

Two Speed
2012-04-24, 10:11
That's a flat out photoshopped smear job.

Any damn fool knows Bill picks his women up in a trailer park.

MonkeyBoy
2012-04-24, 10:24

Any damn fool knows Bill picks his women up in the oval office.

fixed it for ya....

warraghiyagey
2012-04-24, 19:03

true... but it's still funny....

Skidsteer
2012-04-24, 19:07
Never thought I'd say this but I really miss Bill....

Two Speed
2012-04-25, 07:39
true... but it's still funny....Ayup, but too good a chance to stir the pot to pass up.
Never thought I'd say this but I really miss Bill....Good to see you're coming around.