PDA

View Full Version : How Heavy / Light is your pack?

firemedic
2012-04-30, 14:10
It has been a while since I have done any serious hiking, I am knocking on the door of 50 years old, and starting to get a litle plump. I have decided to start getting more exercise, what a better way than to go hiking.

I realize you just cant get up off of the chair or sofa. And go and hike for miles, it takes some training, to get back into it.

With that being said, I am going to do my training / walking while wearing a pack, that is the reason behind wanting to know how much ya'll's pack weigh's. That will also kill two birds with one stone, because I carry way too much stuff when i go camping. (My buddies called me the grocery store last trip, because when they needed something i had it).

I can learn to live without everything, and get back in shape. Mostly I will be hiking and sleeping in my ENO.

What got me thinking about this was my old Co-worker / Diving Buddy Craig, I just had gotten back in touch with him since working with him in the middle 80's. He was working oversea's, and when he returned to the states, he thru hiked the AT.

That is on my bucket list now, and I will do it before I cannot.

Thanks for the input

Superman
2012-04-30, 16:09
24lb without food or water. I resupply every 3 or sometimes 4 days. I used a two nalgene system. That is, I have one platypus liter in my pack. I have one nalgene on my chest strap. I drink one nalgene at a water stop and carry the one filled nalgene on my chest strap. I only use the platypus if I'm going to dry camp or water is very scarce. I use a steripen that only works with the wide mouth nalgene. I have a hubba 1 tent and a Jacks r better hiking quilt.

JERMM
2012-04-30, 16:22
my pack base weight depends on season and duration of trip
summer base weight 7-8-lbs or less
spring/fall base weigh 8-9 lbs
winter base weight 9-12 lbs

base weight everything carried in a pack and does not include food/water/fuel

Big Mac
2012-04-30, 16:36
Jermm, you suck.

Roots
2012-04-30, 19:13
I've had my pack, with food and water, for a 4 day trip at around 21-22lbs.

sheepdog
2012-04-30, 19:34
my pack ways more uphills and in the evening. Less in the morning and down hills

I usually carry about 25 lbs

Kanga
2012-04-30, 19:39
It has been a while since I have done any serious hiking, I am knocking on the door of 50 years old, and starting to get a litle plump. I have decided to start getting more exercise, what a better way than to go hiking.

I realize you just cant get up off of the chair or sofa. And go and hike for miles, it takes some training, to get back into it.

well, first off, let me tell you: that is absolute crap.:aetsch:
i don't care how long it's been. unless, you've lost a leg somewheres, "it's just walking"*tmlw
let me tell you why..
it's literally just walking. up, down, mountain cow-ing it, tripping over air pockets, faceplanting on rocks, whatever. it really just comes down to you being able to put one foot down then the other repeat.
also, who says you have to do big miles? i'm mid-30's and i've decided that i'm happier stopping at about 10 miles. i have a friend that loves to take her time and stop at 5. who really should give a shit except for the person doing it?
so getcho butt up off the sofa and go hike.

With that being said, I am going to do my training / walking while wearing a pack, that is the reason behind wanting to know how much ya'll's pack weigh's.
go do this in the woods!!!

That will also kill two birds with one stone, because I carry way too much stuff when i go camping. (My buddies called me the grocery store last trip, because when they needed something i had it).

I can learn to live without everything, and get back in shape. Mostly I will be hiking and sleeping in my ENO.

What got me thinking about this was my old Co-worker / Diving Buddy Craig, I just had gotten back in touch with him since working with him in the middle 80's. He was working oversea's, and when he returned to the states, he thru hiked the AT.

That is on my bucket list now, and I will do it before I cannot.

Thanks for the input.

as for the pack weight, i've worked and saved for years to get it down. right now, it's at around 11 lbs summer baseweight and 16-17 pounds winter weight. most of the winter weight is from dog stuff like a sleeping pad for the spoiled little princess but also my heavier bag and my down and wool. but both of those weights include my splurges and my treats. i never go in the woods without my mp3 and my speaker. or my inflatable memory foam pillow. or mah likker.
at your super advanced age, i would say you prolly need to get down to about 25 lbs base weight. what are you at now?

sheepdog
2012-04-30, 19:45
Don't cha just gotta love Kanga??

Bearpaw
2012-04-30, 19:46
My pack, before food, water, and fuel, weighs between 12 and 18 pounds, depending on time of year, where I'm going, and what kind of trip I want to take. Typical spring weight with a quart and a half of water and 4 days of food is around 26 pounds.

JERMM
2012-04-30, 20:50
My pack, before food, water, and fuel, weighs between 12 and 18 pounds, depending on time of year, where I'm going, and what kind of trip I want to take. Typical spring weight with a quart and a half of water and 4 days of food is around 26 pounds.

if you would leave Dewey and all his outfits and stuff at home your pack weight would probably be 4-5 lbs lighter...just sayin...:wink:

and I agree with Kanga

Superman
2012-04-30, 21:05
if you would leave Dewey and all his outfits and stuff at home your pack weight would probably be 4-5 lbs lighter...just sayin...:wink:

and I agree with Kanga

I would never disagree with Kanga.

chumpchange
2012-04-30, 21:07
i don't care how long it's been. unless, you've lost a leg somewheres, "it's just walking"*tmlw
let me tell you why..
it's literally just walking. up, down, mountain cow-ing it, tripping over air pockets, faceplanting on rocks, whatever. it really just comes down to you being able to put one foot down then the other repeat.
also, who says you have to do big miles? i'm mid-30's and i've decided that i'm happier stopping at about 10 miles. i have a friend that loves to take her time and stop at 5. who really should give a shit except for the person doing it?

as for the pack weight, i've worked and saved for years to get it down. right now, it's at around 11 lbs summer baseweight and 16-17 pounds winter weight. most of the winter weight is from dog stuff like a sleeping pad for the spoiled little princess but also my heavier bag and my down and wool. but both of those weights include my splurges and my treats. i never go in the woods without my mp3 and my speaker. or my inflatable memory foam pillow. or mah likker.
at your super advanced age, i would say you prolly need to get down to about 25 lbs base weight. what are you at now?

that's heavy.

JDBaughman
2012-05-01, 00:12
My pack, right now, is around 60-70lbs... Only because I carry 4 gallons of water with me... Yes I know I need to drop it... But right now I have no filter...

firemedic
2012-05-01, 00:14
let me tell you why..

Right now as of your post I have my pack hammock iPod speakers and a Qt of likker.

Anything else is just extra !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kanga
2012-05-01, 12:26
Right now as of your post I have my pack hammock iPod speakers and a Qt of likker.

you are firmly on your way to hikertrashdom, grasshopper. you have done well.

Roots
2012-05-01, 12:48
My pack, right now, is around 60-70lbs... Only because I carry 4 gallons of water with me... Yes I know I need to drop it... But right now I have no filter...

seriously??? WHY?

JERMM
2012-05-01, 12:52
seriously??? WHY?

him be young.

Superman
2012-05-01, 12:53
him be young.

So are you.:angel:

JERMM
2012-05-01, 12:56
So are you.:angel:

i love you

Russell
2012-05-01, 12:59
I hiked with Puget Pounder in 1997. He was a big dude. He would eat 7 meals every night and then drink a quart of milk. He was from Seattle. He had climbed Mt Rainier many many times. He sherped up to basecamp on Everest.

His pack would weight 80#.

When someone asked him why he carried that much. He would say, "Because I can."

Roots
2012-05-01, 13:01
i don't give 2 rats ass how young someone is, there is NO reason to carry that kind of weight! so what if you don't have a filter...that doesn't even make sense to me. i'm so confused....:confused:

Roots
2012-05-01, 13:04
I hiked with Puget Pounder in 1997. He was a big dude. He would eat 7 meals every night and then drink a quart of milk. He was from Seattle. He had climbed Mt Rainier many many times. He sherped up to basecamp on Everest.

His pack would weight 80#.

When someone asked him why he carried that much. He would say, "Because I can."

well good for him...in 97 it was different. there wasn't all the UL stuff like now. that guy sounds like one of those rough mtn men that will always carry that much. i'm not sure about the guy on here that carries that much because of carrying 4 gallons of water because he doesn't have a filter yet. that is what confuses me.

JERMM
2012-05-01, 13:07
i don't give 2 rats ass how young someone is, there is NO reason to carry that kind of weight! so what if you don't have a filter...that doesn't even make sense to me. i'm so confused....:confused:

not disagreeing with ya, just sayin

Roots
2012-05-01, 13:09
not disagreeing with ya, just sayin

ooo...I know...he just confused me with the 'i carry 4 gallons of water because i don't have a filter yet'.

JERMM
2012-05-01, 13:12
ooo...I know...he just confused me with the 'i carry 4 gallons of water because i don't have a filter yet'.

like there's not other options, $14 AquaMira and a $1 bandana come to mind, cheap and effective

Roots
2012-05-01, 14:01
like there's not other options, $14 AquaMira and a $1 bandana come to mind, cheap and effective

Exactly.... That's what confused me. Or I would carry bleach before I'd carry for gallons of water! :)

Roots
2012-05-01, 14:03

and I agree with Kanga

Omg....lmfao.... I just saw this!!!! Jermm... You are funny ha ha! :D

Big Mac
2012-05-01, 14:18
Omg....lmfao.... I just saw this!!!! Jermm... You are funny ha ha! :D

And so right . . .

Bearpaw
2012-05-01, 16:48

and I agree with Kanga

Dewey and all his stuff weigh less than a pound. And he's worth every ounce of it!

Skidsteer
2012-05-01, 18:31
You are a genuine weirdo.

You're our weirdo but you are definitely a weirdo. And when you attain top weirdo in a group like this that's sayin' some bigtime shit. :biggrin:

Big Mac
2012-05-01, 19:35
I'm not sure he 's top weirdo, that's quite a competition.

Big Mac
2012-05-01, 19:35
But Dewey freaks me out.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-01, 19:36
I'm not sure he 's top weirdo, that's quite a competition.

yeah - I know one paranoid nut case that almost never gives out his real name

Superman
2012-05-01, 19:39

Your secret name is safe. I already forgot it.:bebored:

Big Mac
2012-05-01, 19:39

Me too, but I don't know his name. Do you?

Hog On Ice
2012-05-01, 19:53
only when he reminds me

john pickett
2012-05-01, 20:06
I vote we all begin calling Kanga "Mother Nature" cause we ALL know it's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-01, 20:11
Can't do that - Mother Nature also posts here occasionally

Skidsteer
2012-05-01, 20:13
I vote we all begin calling Kanga "Mother Nature" cause we ALL know it's not nice to fool Mother Nature.

We already have a Mother Nature.

She hangs out with a dude called Smokestack, makes homemade peppermint patties that are worth more than prison cigarettes, and braids HOI's beard at hiker trash get togethers. She's one of the more normal people I know.

Yes. We're that weird.

JERMM
2012-05-01, 20:22
We already have a Mother Nature.

She hangs out with a dude called Smokestack, makes homemade peppermint patties that are worth more than prison cigarettes, and braids HOI's beard at hiker trash get togethers. She's one of the more normal people I know.

Yes. We're that weird.

and you certainly don't want to mess with her

Skidsteer
2012-05-01, 20:26
Precisely.

cool breeze
2012-05-01, 22:00
Smoke Stack loves Mother Nature. That's what she told me anyway.

Roots
2012-05-02, 01:35
Mama nature rules... So does papa smokestack tho... :-)

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 10:41

Well at least you dropped the filter, that saved you some weight.

firemedic
2012-05-02, 11:00

you are firmly on your way to hikertrashdom, grasshopper. you have done well.

Hmmmmm I wonder how much 4 gals of likker weighs ? It could be usefull, start fires with it, treat ailments, etc. HMMMMMMMM LOL

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 11:58
well good for him...in 97 it was different. there wasn't all the UL stuff like now. that guy sounds like one of those rough mtn men that will always carry that much. i'm not sure about the guy on here that carries that much because of carrying 4 gallons of water because he doesn't have a filter yet. that is what confuses me.

If you go to my "for sale or trade" ad, you'll see why. Btw, I just got out of the military... 65lbs is light!!! TRUST ME.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 12:13
Also, I don't have the money for "UL" gear!?! That shit costs alotta money and it is also wayyyyy overly priced. I like to stick with my over weighted and tough as nails combat gear cause at least I know it won't break on the first trip. Secondly, I don't have a filter, or UV light/whatever... There are a lot of farms around here and I will NOT drink from the water without filtering it. PERIOD. (unless it were a life and death situation). And I go out with at least one other person, so I carry extra water, just in case... To me, UL backpacking, isn't really backpacking... It's more like picnicking over night... Backpacking is where you carry lots of weight in a pack with a frame that has supports in it that make the pack easier to carry (hence the frame)... Some of you guys surprise me with your bitching at me... When you only carry like 10lbs... Why don't you just go to Walmart and buy an "ultralight" Jansport backpack that costs $12... You save money, and it weighs less! Cause using a UL backpack with an internal frame to only carry 10lbs is; 1: waste of money. 2: waste of gear. 3: waste of time.

Now I get it, some people want to carry as little weight as possible. That's cool. You have your way, I have mine. I like the fact that I can climb mountains and hike for 20 miles with a full ruck. I get a sense of satisfaction and accomplishment out of it. It is 100% fulfilling at the end. UL is not for me. PERIOD.

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 12:33
Well, when you get your head out of your military-thinking ass, come see us again. Enjoy whatever it is you call that overweighted hiking.

Superman
2012-05-02, 12:39
Thank you for your service. The door will be open.

dixicritter
2012-05-02, 12:58
Now now folks, who cares if he wants to carry a ton of stuff? He's hiking his own hike. Personally I just get Rock to carry my food so I can save weight. Only way I can go, when I'm able to go that is.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 13:01
Seriously though, Mags has a great quote: Saving pounds is cheap, saving ounces is expensive. I think you can easily hit sub 15 base without spending a lot of cash.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 13:06
Christonnastick! Y'all leave the poor bugger alone. If he wants to carry that much weight ts his fuckig business not yours so why are you getting angry at him about it? Hmhdi!!

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 13:07
Seriously though, Mags has a great quote: Saving pounds is cheap, saving ounces is expensive. I think you can easily hit sub 15 base without spending a lot of cash.

Yep. All it takes is a mental shift.

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 13:15
Christonnastick! Y'all leave the poor bugger alone. If he wants to carry that much weight ts his fuckig business not yours so why are you getting angry at him about it? Hmhdi!!

:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

southmark
2012-05-02, 14:33
Well I think that Rock has a great quote: "The heavier my pack the more I like to camp, the lighter my pack the more I like to hike".

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 14:40
I'm sure I stole that from someone smarter than me.

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 14:41
I'm sure I stole that from someone smarter than me.

You mean Dixi?

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 14:43
She is smarter than me, but I doubt she would ever say anything about backpacking.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 15:11
Like I said, I like the fact that I can carry weight around. I'm still young and enjoy the workout. It's the conditioning that I look forward to. I like the exercise and I like to exercise my own way... Like I said, carrying the weight around a mountain and or trail is just my thing. And I like to have plenty of my own water. When I can afford an actual filter that works well, and I don't have to worry about shitting my pants and being sick for a few weeks, then I'll lose the water. But for right now, I don't mind it.

Think back to 40-50 years ago... Did they have ultra light shit back then?!? Hell no!!! People used to have to carry big ass tents around, or big ass hammocks around that weighed wayyy more than tents themselves weigh today... not to mention the food... Freeze dried? No! They had to carry cans of soup and or spam and shit like that.

I think my methods are fine, they work for me, and I enjoy it. When shit hits the fan, at least I know I can carry my own, and one of you bitching gram weenies and all your 10lbs of gear... Or at least until you become too much of a burden, and in that case, I'll leave you for the zombies ;) I'm j/k

But in all seriousness,

'MERICA!!!!

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 15:28
Think back to 40-50 years ago... Did they have ultra light shit back then?!? Hell no!!! People used to have to carry big ass tents around, or big ass hammocks around that weighed wayyy more than tents themselves weigh today... not to mention the food... Freeze dried? No! They had to carry cans of soup and or spam and shit like that.

Uh, check that. People have been dehydrating food for hundreds of years.

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 15:36

Actually that's not really true. Horace Kephart's Summer backpack weight was @28 lbs with two days food.

By all means carry what you want to carry.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 15:38
Actually if you read Earl's book, he was pretty light even for the 40's. Cut down his ruck, used a wool blanket, and his tent was a poncho/tarp. No stove, just a kettle for cooking over stick fires, and a gunny sack for his food bag. He did bring a hatchet though.

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 15:43
Actually if you read Earl's book, he was pretty light even for the 40's. Cut down his ruck, used a wool blanket, and his tent was a poncho/tarp. No stove, just a kettle for cooking over stick fires, and a gunny sack for his food bag. He did bring a hatchet though.

I prefer a chainsaw. I enjoy the exercise.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 17:12
I prefer a chainsaw. I enjoy the exercise.

Well, I guess that separates the boys from the men ;)

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 17:16
crowbars work too

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 17:26
this is so funny though... I join this forum to get insight, tips, locations, ECT and all it seems like is a fuckin fan club... lol are there any REAL backpackers here...? Anyone here not trying to fit in with the "cool" kids...? lol

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 17:28
this is so funny though... I join this forum to get insight, tips, locations, ECT and all it seems like is a fuckin fan club... lol are there any REAL backpackers here...? Anyone here not trying to fit in with the "cool" kids...? lol

what qualifies as a REAL backpacker? You say you are? what makes you one? I didnt know there was criteria for being a REAL backpacker. As opposed to a fake one?

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 17:36
what qualifies as a REAL backpacker? You say you are? what makes you one? I didnt know there was criteria for being a REAL backpacker. As opposed to a fake one?

Well I guess the fact that I carried a rucksack and lived out of one since 2006. I dunno... I guess combat gear doesn't count though huh...?

Of how about the fact that I mention that I carry weight, and everyone is like, "OH MY GAWD! YOUR INSANE?!? YOUR AN IDIOT?!? ECT ECT ECT

All I've read are a bunch of people complaining that they carry more than 20lbs... lol as if 20 pounds is the difference between life and death... Id hate to see those people with kids... They'd probably make them starve just to save a few ounces when they hold them... Nice one.

I think I'm qualified to say that I go backpacking. But if this is just a cool kids hangout where you can talk about the newest greatest lightest gear to make your backpack more like something your Mother would carry, then Count me out. I apparently, had the wrong impression. Excuse me, for being a goddamn 'Merican.

dixicritter
2012-05-02, 17:55
I think you've lumped everyone in the same pile. Go back and re-read, I actually stood up for ya, but since I'm not a "real backpacker" I guess that doesn't count. There's plenty of info on this site, just realize that folks speak their minds here.

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 17:56
Well I guess the fact that I carried a rucksack and lived out of one since 2006. I dunno... I guess combat gear doesn't count though huh...?

No. that would make you a bum.

I still dont understand the definition of a REAL backpacker. Please explain.

chumpchange
2012-05-02, 17:59
at ease soldier, like was said--hike your own hike.

there's lots of good info here. i'm still a newb but i like this site because other ones i checked out were mostly newbs like me asking questions and a shortage of good answers. plus they were all too serious. this place is more fun. just need some thick skin some times.

cheers !

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 18:04
Well, pretty much a bum... Living off shit pay... Getting yelled at to clean my shit... lol I guess you could say a bum.

But in all honesty, what your doing right now, is just trying to be a fuckin dick. and if you read through this whole thread in its entirety, you'll get what I meant. but since you want to be a fuckin douche bag, I'll go ahead an answer you; a REAL backpacker would be someone who humps a ruck because they love it, and actually backpack. Not someone that likes to talk about it, and try to be a "cool guy" with it.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 18:08
I think you've lumped everyone in the same pile. Go back and re-read, I actually stood up for ya, but since I'm not a "real backpacker" I guess that doesn't count. There's plenty of info on this site, just realize that folks speak their minds here.

That wasn't to you specifically, more or less to the tool bag "cool guys" that want to bash on me cause I carry weight. lol.

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 18:10
Carry your big ass fucking load you douchebag. Nobody here really gives a shit. The fact you got suggestions to lighten the load, along with the fact you don't want to do so, does NOT make them, or you, a "real backpacker".

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 18:11
Love,

Big Mac

:-)

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 18:15
Guess ill never be one of the cool kids... Awe shucks... I guess I'll move to the front of the bus...

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 18:20
a REAL backpacker would be someone who humps a ruck because they love it, and actually backpack. Not someone that likes to talk about it, and try to be a "cool guy" with it.

Get it right. Im not a guy. Thats your first mistake. And I do take a walk in the woods when I can.

Lets see... Just 2 weeks ago, I took 3 teen ladies out on their first backpack trip ever. They crushed it. 32 miles in 48 hours. Ive thru hiked the Pinhoti once and sectioned it completely 2 times. Theres a group of us here on this very site that have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness together. Myself included. Oh, and then theres the BMT. Ive done most of it, and many here have completed it. One is even a maintainer.

I'll be hiking again in 2 weeks with another who was here trying to help you. You asked for the help. If you dont want it, dont ask. Pretty simple.

And yea, we are the cool kids. We ride the short bus, wear helmets and even spray our shoes. If name calling is all ya got, you really gotta try better. All we're doing is laughing.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 18:21
Carry your big ass fucking load you douchebag. Nobody here really gives a shit. The fact you got suggestions to lighten the load, along with the fact you don't want to do so, does NOT make them, or you, a "real backpacker".

lol actually, the deal was, that I said how much I carry, and then OTHER people made a big deal about it. It was me, who actually said "who gives a shit"...lol

Secondly, noone has given any advice other than smart ass remarks...

Third, I wasn't looking for advice. The thread title is "how heavy/light is your pack", therefor I answered, Tool Bag.
And got nothing but ridicule afterwards. Now you've suddenly jumped in with all your infinite wisdom... lol

I'm getting all these messages about "just have thick skin" ECT ECT ECT. I didn't fu min do anything in the first place. I don't know you and visa versa, so don't talk shit if you can't take shit. fuckin cry baby I swear.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 18:22
Get it right. Im not a guy. Thats your first mistake. And I do take a walk in the woods when I can.

Lets see... Just 2 weeks ago, I took 3 teen ladies out on their first backpack trip ever. They crushed it. 32 miles in 48 hours. Ive thru hiked the Pinhoti once and sectioned it completely 2 times. Theres a group of us here on this very site that have hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness together. Myself included. Oh, and then theres the BMT. Ive done most of it, and many here have completed it. One is even a maintainer.

I'll be hiking again in 2 weeks with another who was here trying to help you. You asked for the help. If you dont want it, dont ask. Pretty simple.

And yea, we are the cool kids. We ride the short bus, wear helmets and even spray our shoes. If name calling is all ya got, you really gotta try better. All we're doing is laughing.

"cool guy" is a phrase. Has nothing to do with male or female.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 18:25
And I wasn't calling anyone "names". Just seems like people have the "cool guy" attitude. Who said anything about helmets and spraying shoes or the short bus. My point was that I'm getting talked down to for nothing, as in saying you guys are too cool, and I'm nobody. Secondly, I said I'll move to the front of the bus as in saying since you guys are soooo cool, I don't rate to sit in the back... lol hope that clarified a little for ya

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 18:34
I've met a lot of these people on the trail. That makes them real backpackers.

Superman
2012-05-02, 18:42
"cool guy" is a phrase. Has nothing to do with male or female.

Folks were only trying to be helpful. It wasn't meant as a disrespect to you. Some of the things that were said and the way they were said was just sort of the way we banter on here. Instead of of Baughman I will call you "heavy packman."

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 18:44
And I wasn't calling anyone "names". Just seems like people have the "cool guy" attitude. Who said anything about helmets and spraying shoes or the short bus. My point was that I'm getting talked down to for nothing, as in saying you guys are too cool, and I'm nobody. Secondly, I said I'll move to the front of the bus as in saying since you guys are soooo cool, I don't rate to sit in the back... lol hope that clarified a little for ya
Actually you didn't get talked down to because you carry weight. A couple of people gave you some friendly crap for saying you carry pounds an pounds of water. But this post started your spiral:
" To me, UL backpacking, isn't really backpacking... It's more like picnicking over night... Backpacking is where you carry lots of weight in a pack with a frame that has supports in it that make the pack easier to carry (hence the frame)... Some of you guys surprise me with your bitching at me... "
You got talked down to because you infered that people here ain't real backpackers. Almost every one of them I have seen on the trail. I've only seen you on the internet, so that must mean (based on that sort of logic) that you are not the real backpacker. But really, I wouldn't go so far, I assume anyone that wants to hike is a hiker. I suggest you not challenge anyone on what they carry disqualifying one from being a "real backpacker" because some of us here have thousands of miles hiking and backpacking. If you want to have that sort of attitude WB is going to be more your speed.

That said, I had to unlearn lots of stuff I picked up in the Army. They know absolutely nothing about backpacking.

Cuffs
2012-05-02, 18:52
Maybe you should reread or maybe even rewrite your own post...

Third, I wasn't looking for advice.

I join this forum to get insight, tips, locations, ECT

ECT. Are you trying to say etc.? Like et al? Or did you mean ECT, the trail?

And I wasn't calling anyone "names".

what your doing right now, is just trying to be a fuckin dick... but since you want to be a fuckin douche bag...

Third, I wasn't looking for advice. The thread title is "how heavy/light is your pack", therefor I answered, Tool Bag.

I'm getting all these messages about "just have thick skin" ECT ECT ECT. I didn't fu min do anything in the first place. I don't know you and visa versa, so don't talk shit if you can't take shit. fuckin cry baby I swear.

And theres the winner. Heed your own words. No one here cryin but you...

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 19:20
Tool Bag and cry baby - that really hurts my feelings. Let's be honest, it sure looks like you wanted everyone to be impressed with your big ass pack, and your "real" backpacking. That didn't happen and you got your little feelings hurt. That's what it looks like anyway.

Personally, I throw a pack on my back and take a walk in the woods every once in a while. That makes me a backpacker. Please note that I didn't mention how many pounds I carry or how far I go. Because it doesn't matter.

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 19:35
This thread would be sooooo toasted on WB. :biggrin:

Roots
2012-05-02, 19:36
First of all... Thank you for your service!!!

I simply was shocked at the 4 gallons of water simply because there are many options for water treatment that would allow you to not have to carry that much.

Good for you if you are comfortable with pack weight like that... To each his own. It is about HYOH and you are doing that so Yippie!

Anyway.... I hope you get that filter soon. There are many second gear shops online or even gear swaps that you can find good stuff for cheap. Good luck!

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 19:37
Hey, lighten up on the guy. He has been programmed by the Army and hasn't gone through decompression on this enough. I can remember a hike in 1997 where I had 65 pounds for 3 days and my partner had 25 pounds. I actually thought she might have a condition or something and felt bad that was all she could carry.

After the end of the hike I started thinking differently.

What did help was looking at it a different way. Sure I could carry 65 pounds. But when I did it in the Army I did it with only a poncho, a poncho liner, field jacket liner, and a rat-fucked MRE for my own comfort. Everything else was ammo, radio, batteries, extra water, NVGs, and assorted other BS. When I found a tarp that had more protection than a poncho and weighed less, and then a quilt that was warmer than a poncho liner but weighed less, and could pick what I wanted based of taste and realized I could cook it! And that what I cooked it in weighed less than a canteen cup! That heavy boots were not needed when you got the pack under 40 pounds. That BDUs were made with cotton and that was uncomfortable compared to other stuff.

And you can even use Army surplus and do it. Some of my favorites: field pants and field jacket liners, polypro, the glove liners without the shells, the new fleece watch cap and neck gater. A pot can cost $2 at Wal-Mart and weigh less than one of the fancy Ti ones, and plastic spoons are a dime a dozen. You can make a can stove for free and the fuel bottle is a plastic soda bottle. Polypro sleeping mats are perfectly good for backpacking with. There are a lot of other things that someone coming out of the Army probably has laying around in a duffel some where that can be totally serviceable, light, and comfortable.

Expensive does not = good, and cheep does not = shitty.

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 19:47
And if it looks stupid but it works, it's not stupid.

Bearpaw
2012-05-02, 19:48
Devil dog, folks here are mostly looking at carrying four gallons of water as unnecessary. And it is. Several folks offered advice. Consider it. Just because the folks here don't chime along with Backpacker magazine, it doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. So much of what you'll read nowadays is designed to sell gear. The great majority of folks here have quite a bit of very real experience on trails that often contradicts the "established" knowledge of marketing.

If you want to carry plenty of weight, go for it. I did during my AT thru-hike 13 years ago. I started about 11 weeks after discharge. My pack weight at Amicalola was 57 pounds, much lighter than I carried on an A/NGLICO team, about 1/2 what I carried in Norway during arctic training. I was in excellent shape. But I was also stationed at LeJeune, with no hills. I was able to crank 15+ mile days (and people thought I was nuts), but those simple Georgia hills put a hurtin on me until I got my climbing legs under me. I lightened up as much as I could, but I had an 8 pound pack, 3 pound sleeping bag, 4-pound tent, 2-pound pad, and these where either typical or even light at the time. So yes, you can carry a lot of weight a lot of miles with proper conditioning.

But once you join the working world that doesn't include humps and PT as part of the job, it's a lot harder to stay in outstanding hiking shape. I teach now, so I get in a few hundred miles of hiking each year, but when I walk for a week at spring break, I'm glad I'm carrrying less than 30 pounds. It makes getting those muscles back into trail shape much less trying. It's not ultralight, but it's a lot lighter than a decade ago.

When I look at radios in the Corps nowadays, I am envious. There are two-pound models now that can do the work a 20-pound monster did when I served. I would have gladly taken the lighter gear then. It wouldn't have made me less of a man or a Marine. It would have just made me smarter and more agile.

Hang onto your gear. I've often said the best gear is the stuff that gets you out there. But don't write off the info on this site. I can honestly say you'll get more realistic, experienced based knowledge here than any other site I know, especially for the southeast. I've haunted about 8 different sites in the last few years. The folks here are real hikers. And Cuffs is actually a sweetheart when you meet her in person. Mostly...

BTW, if you've got questions about the Cumberland Trail in the area, let me know. I helped build many miles of it over the last decade. I've also hiked most all the long trail within 3 hours or so of Chattanooga. The area is a great place to hike.

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 19:55
at ease soldier, like was said--hike your own hike.

there's lots of good info here. i'm still a newb but i like this site because other ones i checked out were mostly newbs like me asking questions and a shortage of good answers. plus they were all too serious. this place is more fun. just need some thick skin some times.

cheers !
Some really great advice.

Guess ill never be one of the cool kids... Awe shucks... I guess I'll move to the front of the bus...

We all ride on the short bus here so front or back it's all the same. I like heavy packer (JDBaughman) if he survives he will be ok.

Bearpaw
2012-05-02, 19:55
Hey, lighten up on the guy. He has been programmed by the Army and hasn't gone through decompression on this enough.

Careful , Rock. He was a Marine. Let's not start busting his chops that severely!

Kanga
2012-05-02, 20:29
:aetsch::aetsch::aetsch:

i mispelled the word fucking. you should shoot me now cause i'm worthless.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 20:33
Like I said, I like the fact that I can carry weight around. I'm still young and enjoy the workout. It's the conditioning that I look forward to. I like the exercise and I like to exercise my own way... Like I said, carrying the weight around a mountain and or trail is just my thing. And I like to have plenty of my own water. When I can afford an actual filter that works well, and I don't have to worry about shitting my pants and being sick for a few weeks, then I'll lose the water. But for right now, I don't mind it.

I think my methods are fine, they work for me, and I enjoy it. When shit hits the fan, at least I know I can carry my own, and one of you bitching gram weenies and all your 10lbs of gear... Or at least until you become too much of a burden, and in that case, I'll leave you for the zombies ;) I'm j/k

But in all seriousness,

'MERICA!!!!

16 years ago my pack weighed 55 and i weighed 130. i could do it but i thought it sucked once i tried to lighten up a little and learned that my speed picked up and my cardio ability went through the roof when i carried lighter.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 20:38

and you've gotten insight, tips, locations, ect. and some shit. put your fuckin big boy pants on or don't let the door hitcha on the way out. cause i gauranfuckingty you're gonna get your ass handed to you with that general insult throwing crap.

chumpchange
2012-05-02, 20:38
i mispelled the word fucking. you should shoot me now cause i'm worthless.

to make matters worse, you misspelled misspelled.

saimyoji
2012-05-02, 20:41
Damn.... Just when I thought we were getting ready to run this guy off, send an RHP posse out to get him and string his entrails across Warren Doyle's backyard, you guys go and get all nice and helpful....

Buncha funckin' tool bag douche nozzle pack sniffin' dicks.....:bootyshak

Superman
2012-05-02, 20:41
Careful , Rock. He was a Marine. Let's not start busting his chops that severely!

I thought that's what he said. How ever, Sgt Rock is correct in the the Army doesn't know shit about back packing.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 20:43
Actually you didn't get talked down to because you carry weight. A couple of people gave you some friendly crap for saying you carry pounds an pounds of water. But this post started your spiral:
" To me, UL backpacking, isn't really backpacking... It's more like picnicking over night... Backpacking is where you carry lots of weight in a pack with a frame that has supports in it that make the pack easier to carry (hence the frame)... Some of you guys surprise me with your bitching at me... "
You got talked down to because you infered that people here ain't real backpackers. Almost every one of them I have seen on the trail. I've only seen you on the internet, so that must mean (based on that sort of logic) that you are not the real backpacker. But really, I wouldn't go so far, I assume anyone that wants to hike is a hiker. I suggest you not challenge anyone on what they carry disqualifying one from being a "real backpacker" because some of us here have thousands of miles hiking and backpacking. If you want to have that sort of attitude WB is going to be more your speed.

That said, I had to unlearn lots of stuff I picked up in the Army. They know absolutely nothing about backpacking.
i think he's young and hasn't made as many mistakes as we have. i also think he doesn't know when to step back, shut his yapping, breathe, and reanalyze his reading comprehension.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 20:46
My bad. Sorry Marine. I've not been a Marine, but from what I hear they also don't know shit about backpacking.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 20:48
to make matters worse, you misspelled misspelled.

DAMNIT!!!!:argh::argh:

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 20:51
DAMNIT!!!!:argh::argh:

and there is only one :argh:in DAMNIT

Bearpaw
2012-05-02, 20:53
My bad. Sorry Marine. I've not been a Marine, but from what I hear they also don't know shit about backpacking.

Pretty much.

Like the Rangers, we are experts at how to be miserable. And sometimes actually like it that way.

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 20:56
Apparently you're experts at carrying astonishing amounts of water.

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 20:57
how do you think Superman's calves got so big??

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 20:58
I'll see your 4 gallons of water and raise you one Minnesota Smith and his case of bottled water and six pack of toilet paper rolls

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 20:59
how do you think Superman's calves got so big??

I always thought it was due to lots of squatting

Skidsteer
I thought it was from agent orange.

SGT Rock
Apparently you're experts at carrying astonishing amounts of water.The Army often plans the same way. Go to Fort Polk LA with lots of creeks and they want you to strap a 5 gallon water jug to your pack. The OPFOR got smart and started carrying iodine pills. Silly OPFOR.

The OPFOR also started leaving the big rucks behind and carrying civilian made stuff. They moved faster and made less noise. Go figure.

Bearpaw
2012-05-02, 21:00

I used to carry 6 quarts all the time while in. I've carried that much a tiny number of times since I got out, for times when I had to dry camp and I only had to carry it for a few miles near the end of the day.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 21:02
I used to carry 6 quarts all the time while in. I've carried that much a tiny number of times since I got out, for times when I had to dry camp and I only had to carry it for a few miles near the end of the day.

When I did the 65 pound for a weekend thing, I had just come from Fort Bliss Texas where it was normal to hump a ruck with 6 quarts of water. So when I went on the AT I did the same thing. I felt really silly as we passed all those nice creeks and springs. Now I normally carry a only liter unless I know there is a dry stretch or I plan to dry camp.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 21:03
last time I carried that much was a hike on North Fork Mtn. - great ridge hike but no water for the entire 30 miles

saimyoji
2012-05-02, 21:05
gotta carry several liters when hiking in PA...specially in the summer.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 21:06
Folks were only trying to be helpful. It wasn't meant as a disrespect to you. Some of the things that were said and the way they were said was just sort of the way we banter on here. Instead of of Baughman I will call you "heavy packman."

...lol that literally made me laugh so hard I choked

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 21:08
I'll see your 4 gallons of water and raise you one Minnesota Smith and his case of bottled water and six pack of toilet paper rolls

And an Ego the size of a planet.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 21:09
Tool Bag and cry baby - that really hurts my feelings. Let's be honest, it sure looks like you wanted everyone to be impressed with your big ass pack, and your "real" backpacking. That didn't happen and you got your little feelings hurt. That's what it looks like anyway.

Personally, I throw a pack on my back and take a walk in the woods every once in a while. That makes me a backpacker. Please note that I didn't mention how many pounds I carry or how far I go. Because it doesn't matter.

I wasn't trying to brag holy fuck?!? Like I said the title says how much do you carry, so I put on there how much. I wasn't asking for advice to make it lighter?!? I was just putting on there how much it weighs?!? Jesus Christ!!!

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 21:10
Jesus can carry waaay more than you.

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 21:11
If you wanna survive leave it alone and just move on...

Ray
2012-05-02, 21:13
Anybody that puts feet on trails an sleeps in forests is family here.

If everyone was indifferent it would mean they didn't care.

So being family don't mean you won't catch hell.

Superman
...lol that literally made me laugh so hard I choked

You definately perked this thread up.

sheepdog
Jesus can carry waaay more than you.

You would carry lots of water with Jesus, You'd be drinking the vino.....

HMMWJC

how much manna would Jesus carry?

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 21:15
You definately perked this thread up.

No shit.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 21:21
Hey, lighten up on the guy. He has been programmed by the Army and hasn't gone through decompression on this enough. I can remember a hike in 1997 where I had 65 pounds for 3 days and my partner had 25 pounds. I actually thought she might have a condition or something and felt bad that was all she could carry.

After the end of the hike I started thinking differently.

What did help was looking at it a different way. Sure I could carry 65 pounds. But when I did it in the Army I did it with only a poncho, a poncho liner, field jacket liner, and a rat-fucked MRE for my own comfort. Everything else was ammo, radio, batteries, extra water, NVGs, and assorted other BS. When I found a tarp that had more protection than a poncho and weighed less, and then a quilt that was warmer than a poncho liner but weighed less, and could pick what I wanted based of taste and realized I could cook it! And that what I cooked it in weighed less than a canteen cup! That heavy boots were not needed when you got the pack under 40 pounds. That BDUs were made with cotton and that was uncomfortable compared to other stuff.

And you can even use Army surplus and do it. Some of my favorites: field pants and field jacket liners, polypro, the glove liners without the shells, the new fleece watch cap and neck gater. A pot can cost $2 at Wal-Mart and weigh less than one of the fancy Ti ones, and plastic spoons are a dime a dozen. You can make a can stove for free and the fuel bottle is a plastic soda bottle. Polypro sleeping mats are perfectly good for backpacking with. There are a lot of other things that someone coming out of the Army probably has laying around in a duffel some where that can be totally serviceable, light, and comfortable.

Expensive does not = good, and cheep does not = shitty.

...thanks

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 21:32
Ok so, just to make clear, I wasn't trying to brag, I just saw a thread I related to and posted.

I apologize for being offensive and over stepping the line.

When I can afford a filter, I will buy one and lose the excess water.

I just got out of the USMC not too long ago and I'm not really familiar with my own back yard, let alone these trails around here or anything else except the lonely trail from Lejune to camp Geiger and to camp Devil Dog and or the ranges... so I don't really know where good water refill points are along routes. (which is why I carry so much. I like to be prepared because I don't know)

I have received some good advice but I failed to recognize it because I felt like I was being attacked.

Superman
2012-05-02, 21:41
Ok so, just to make clear, I wasn't trying to brag, I just saw a thread I related to and posted.

I just got out of the USMC not too long ago and I'm not really familiar with my own back yard, let alone these trails around here or anything else except the lonely trail from Lejune to camp Geiger and to camp Devil Dog and or the ranges... so I don't really know where good water refill points are along routes. (which is why I carry so much. I like to be prepared because I don't know)

I have received some good advice but I failed to recognize it because I felt like I was being attacked.

Great posr Heavy Packman.

chumpchange
2012-05-02, 21:45

that's women's work.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 21:47
You are alright by me man. Stick around, you may fit in more than you think.

Do you carry anything to drink besides water?

Bearpaw
2012-05-02, 21:54

Big hint. The correct answer starts with a "b" and ends with an "ourbon".

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 21:55

I carry a flask with some whiskey in it... Beam or jack... Jameson would be nice... But $40 a bottle isn't cheap enough to take backpacking IMHO

Bearpaw
2012-05-02, 21:57
I carry a flask with some whiskey in it... Beam or jack... Jameson would be nice... But $40 a bottle isn't cheap enough to take backpacking IMHO

Agreed. That's why Beam makes that lovely plastic 750 ml traveler bottle for about $13.

saimyoji
2012-05-02, 21:59
that's women's work.

they ain't carrying water...they's carryin' my nightly booze allotment.....

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 21:59
There is a good ultralight tip for you. They do sell those at Front Royal too I can tell you.

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 22:00
Damn.... Just when I thought we were getting ready to run this guy off, send an RHP posse out to get him and string his entrails across Warren Doyle's backyard, you guys go and get all nice and helpful....

Buncha funckin' tool bag douche nozzle pack sniffin' dicks.....:bootyshak

That made me lol out loud.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 22:02

much better. and you were being attacked. sometimes you just gotta let it roll off. learn how to not give a shit.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 22:03
much better. and you were being attacked. sometimes you just gotta let it roll off. learn how to not give a shit.

Look who is talkin'

Big Mac
2012-05-02, 22:04
Anybody that puts feet on trails an sleeps in forests is family here.

If everyone was indifferent it would mean they didn't care.

So being family don't mean you won't catch hell.

Agreed

Kanga
Agreed. That's why Beam makes that lovely plastic 750 ml traveler bottle for about $13.

bullshit. when you're out living the high life is when you carry the good stuff. what? you gonna wait and save that for the couch? awesome.

saimyoji
Look who is talkin'

OHHH SHIT!! You stepped in it now.....

Kanga
2012-05-02, 22:06
Look who is talkin'

who hurt my feelings?

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 22:08
who hurt my feelings?
Like you don't remember wanting to kill papa smurf last year.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 22:10
that muthurfuckur fucked with mah dogs. that ain't hurting my feelings. that's asking to get kilt. hell, he got fred fired up. you're talking peas and shitturds, rock. peas and shitturds.

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 22:11
bullshit. when you're out living the high life is when you carry the good stuff. what? you gonna wait and save that for the couch? awesome.

Well, I'd rather spend the $40 on a green weenie dildo to replace the gap in my life that is the USMC...

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 22:11
Yep. Stepped into it.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 22:12
Well, I'd rather spend the $40 on a green weenie dildo to replace the gap in my life that is the USMC...
what in holy hell are you talking about?

Superman
2012-05-02, 22:13
My hiking partner is Mr. Daniels.

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 22:14

He is saying he might missed getting fucked over.

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 22:15
He is saying he might missed getting fucked over.

here??

not bloody likely

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 22:16
that muthurfuckur fucked with mah dogs. that ain't hurting my feelings. that's asking to get kilt. hell, he got fred fired up. you're talking peas and shitturds, rock. peas and shitturds.

he prolly kidnapped your cat too.

Kanga
2012-05-02, 22:16
oh. well. i'm sure sheepdog's got room at the inn.

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 22:17
oh. well. i'm sure sheepdog's got room at the inn.

always room for one more.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 22:18
oh dear ... swish swish ... bohica

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 22:18
here??

not bloody likely
here he might get fucked with, but not fucked over.

saimyoji
2012-05-02, 22:20

this

PM me if you need instructions. :bandit:

sheepdog
2012-05-02, 22:20
here he might get fucked with, but not fucked over.

true dat

chumpchange
2012-05-02, 22:22
they ain't carrying water...they's carryin' my nightly booze allotment.....
from the looks of things, you're gonna need it.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-02, 22:22
this

definitely a not safe for work link

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 22:27
definitely a not safe for work link

What? That's not a Leki pole replacement handle?

It had a wrist strap...

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 23:03
this

It'd be damn ner perfect if it said USMC on the side... We used to call it, "The Green Weenie"

SGT Rock
2012-05-02, 23:06
Front towards friendlies.

Skidsteer
2012-05-02, 23:11
Hahaha!

JDBaughman
2012-05-02, 23:22
...lol

Bearpaw
2012-05-03, 18:19
It'd be damn ner perfect if it said USMC on the side... We used to call it, "The Green Weenie"

Or the BOHICA bomb.

JDBaughman
2012-05-04, 01:31
Bend Over, Here It Comes Again

JDBaughman
2012-05-04, 02:13
I've met a lot of these people on the trail. That makes them real backpackers.

Where r ur stomping grounds? I see ur in Maryville... That's not too terribly far from Chattavegas

SGT Rock
2012-05-04, 12:39
I actually live closer to Walland, TN, just below the Foothills PArkway. My main hiking areas are the Smokies and the Slickrock Wilderness / Cherokee NF. You should come out sometime and camp with us.

Superman
2012-05-04, 13:58
I'm looking at this tent to lighten my pack.
http://gossamergear.com/shelters/shelters/the-one.html

Crikey
2012-05-04, 14:02
I actually live closer to Walland, TN, just below the Foothills PArkway. My main hiking areas are the Smokies and the Slickrock Wilderness / Cherokee NF. You should come out sometime and camp with us.

Hey Rock, we're looking to do some hiking in NC this year, maybe down in that area. Can I possibly hit you up on that offer as well?

SGT Rock
2012-05-04, 14:07
I'm not familiar with that one. But I have seen these around and people seem to love 'em: http://lightheartgear.com/

Hey Rock, we're looking to do some hiking in NC this year, maybe down in that area. Can I possibly hit you up on that offer as well?Yes, absolutely.

Lugnut
2012-05-04, 14:43

Looks like my Lunar Solo.

JERMM
2012-05-04, 14:44
Looks like my Lunar Solo.

they're similar, the One has more headroom on the backside

Kanga
2012-05-04, 16:27
http://lightheartgear.com/
um, only if you want your tent to sag on your head all night.

southmark
2012-05-04, 17:34

I have that tent and used it before I started using a hammock. It is a very good tent. My testimonial is one of the ones on the web - SouthMark (Dale South).

sheepdog
2012-05-04, 20:43
they're similar, the One has more headroom on the backside

um....well.....nevermind

JDBaughman
2012-05-05, 03:33

I'd like that. Get some trunk legs with you salty folks

firemedic
2012-05-06, 12:43
Hmmmmm I wonder how much 4 gals of likker weighs ? It could be usefull, start fires with it, treat ailments, etc. HMMMMMMMM LOL

Wow I am on my 11th post on the site, and my one thread went for 12 pages already. Never did find out how much 4 gals of likker weighs. Next question is who is gonna help me drink it ?

HA

Superman
2012-05-06, 14:42
:angel:
Wow I am on my 11th post on the site, and my one thread went for 12 pages already. Never did find out how much 4 gals of likker weighs. Next question is who is gonna help me drink it ?

HA

The likker won't way anything after we all drink some.:angel:

Nearly Normal
2012-05-06, 15:07

HA
Whowhatwhy

JDBaughman
2012-05-20, 00:26
I'll help you drink it.

auburnbreeze
2012-05-29, 16:48
Met thru hiker this past weekend near Kelly Knob.... really nice guy... said when he started his pack weighed close to 80lbs, he's down to <50 now. He's just not willing to give up a few things... but you know he was fine with that. I felt like my pack was heavy at 25 lbs. But i was on a Girl Scout trip and had to carry some extra things for the group safety.

JDBaughman
2012-06-12, 00:08
So I bought a hammock... That should shed some weight ;)

Hog On Ice
2012-06-12, 08:34
not as much as you might think once you add in the extra insulation needed on the under side

JDBaughman
2012-06-12, 09:46
I'm using my thermal poncho liner as insulation... And a sleeping bag on top. Basically the same stuff I carry, except the tent.