PDA

View Full Version : Slickrock Creek hammock hang June 16-17

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 15:26
I originally announced this over on HF, but for those of you that don't go there (and there are a few) here is an invite to my friends hammockers and non-hammockers alike.

Shadow Alpha and I have been talking about doing an ultralight hang so folks that are interested in looking at how to go ultralight and still be a hanger can come out and exchange ideas. This isn't closed to other hangers who just want to come out and visit so anyone can come regardless of pack weight.

The date would be the weekend of June 16- 17 on Slickrock Creek on the BMT. This is a wilderness area and max group size is 10 people, but the area I am thinking of doing this has a few campsites with good hanging points within a few 10ths of a mile from each other, so we can spread a little and form a few groups if there is that many attending.

Parking would be here: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=35.448771,-83.941147&hl=en&ll=35.449036,-83.940506&spn=0.00121,0.00284&sll=35.448996,-83.940506&sspn=0.001289,0.00284&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=19&t=m&z=19

If that fills up, there is another parking place on the north side of the bridge and another up near the observation point for the dam. The actual campsite will be here: http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=35.447421,-83.972626&hl=en&ll=35.44632,-83.967283&spn=0.009684,0.022724&sll=35.444659,-83.962026&sspn=0.020628,0.045447&mra=mift&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=m&z=16

For folks interested, here is the terrain profile and mileages from the BMT Thru-Hikers Guide: 4040

Parking is at 183.6, the campsites start at 180.7 and go to 180.5. There are some more campsites down at 180.2 if we absolutely need that many, but I doubt it. So you will probably only need to hike 3 miles at the most. Map of the trail and location: 4039

Something else we would like to have on this hike/hang...

Some of us will re-create the 5 Pound Challenge. That will be a functioning pack system that includes hammock with a base weight below 5 pounds. General ground rules are:

1. You don't have to count any consumables like the obvious food, water, fuel, toilet paper etc.

2. Try not to "stuff your pockets". My general thought on this is your wear/carried stuff on you should be less than the base weight of the rest of your gear. So basically 5 pounds or less as well. I personally count everything including my wedding ring. So basically no "gimmicks" to have a low pack weight.

3. As stated, includes a hammock hanging system in that 5 pound base.

4. We aren't Nazis on this. It is to have fun and try new ideas. If you have 5 pounds 3 ounces it is all good. If you have 7 pounds it is still good because everyone cannot afford to go out and buy a Cuben fiber tarp or pack. Hell, if you have a 20 pound base we don't care, just come on out. Hopefully for y'all wanting to lighten up there will be some innovative ideas for you to pick folks brains. The heavy guys can bring the grill and steaks.

5. This should also not be survival light hiking. 5 pounds should keep you warm, dry, comfortable, and include luxuries like tunes, adult beverages, playing cards, reading material, fishing stuff, or whatever makes camping fun too.

6. Did I mention have fun with it? There are no winners.

I'll bring a mini scale in case anyone needs to measure anything.

I hope to see some of you there. Who is in?

Bearpaw
2012-05-17, 18:21
Rock, I'm thinking I may hike in from the Cherohala Skyway, maybe along the BMT or past Bob Bald. I would like to walk in along Slickrock Creek and figure out where I got so turned around in Fall of 2010. It would be nice to finish off with a good hang.

I will be in the decidedly NON-ultralight camp, with a base weight of easily 15 pounds. I hope my spine doesn't crush under that much weight.

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 18:25
Yea, you do look like a pencil neck.

JERMM
2012-05-17, 18:50
lol...two camps...us and them

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 19:00
I'm thinking of charring some steaks one night at least on this hang. Adult beverages included with menu.

Loneoak
2012-05-17, 20:30
Are you bringing the steaks Rock ?

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 20:44
Are you bringing the steaks Rock ?

I'm probably bringing some steak.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hog On Ice
2012-05-17, 20:45
Ti or Al?

JERMM
2012-05-17, 20:54
Ti or Al?

was thinking the same thing

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 20:56
Beef.

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 21:04
Possibles so far:
Bearpaw (you need a shuttle?)
Jermm
Southmark

Bearpaw
2012-05-17, 21:32
Possibles so far:
Bearpaw (you need a shuttle?)
Jermm
Southmark

No, I'll leave my truck at the lot near the dam and get my wife to drop me off on the Cherohala. From there I have a section planned near Hot Springs.

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 21:56
OK. But if you need a shuttle let me know since that area is mostly local for me plus I will be there anyway. And tell Dewy the purpose of a bear canister is to keep a bear OUT.

Bearpaw
2012-05-17, 22:09
OK. But if you need a shuttle let me know since that area is mostly local for me plus I will be there anyway. And tell Dewy the purpose of a bear canister is to keep a bear OUT.

Yeah, that was a choice conversation the first time around.

I'll be interested to see some of the rigs. Your's is nice, but I would have to go double to even hope it would hold me. Still, it'll be good to hit a hang other than Hot Springs. And Dewey says he'll be there without his bear bells on.

SGT Rock
2012-05-17, 22:30
Still, it'll be good to hit a hang other than Hot Springs. And Dewey says he'll be there without his bear bells on.Hot Springs bores the shit out of me.

john pickett
2012-05-18, 02:35
Sarge, back to the beef stakes. Do you use a meat tenderizer (Mallet)to sink them in the ground?

SGT Rock
2012-05-18, 07:44
Not that I can recall.

Crikey
2012-05-18, 10:20
Hot Springs bores the shit out of me.

Not on topic, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one. Couple of hours and I'm ready to get moving, either on the trail or on the road.

Ewker
2012-05-18, 11:18
Hamhocker and I are going to try and be there

southmark
2012-05-18, 13:00
OK I want to be there but if Maine kicks the shit out of me...

Bearpaw
2012-05-18, 15:32
Sarge, back to the beef stakes. Do you use a meat tenderizer (Mallet)to sink them in the ground?

Are you kidding? He's a ULer. He pounds them in with rock salt. Dual purpose.

john pickett
2012-05-18, 17:32
Haha!

JDBaughman
2012-05-20, 01:11
I'm interested in this... I don't have a hammock tho =\

Bearpaw
2012-05-20, 01:13
I'm interested in this... I don't have a hammock tho =\

Then it's a good place and time to find out about them!

SGT Rock
2012-05-20, 01:30
Come on by.

SGT Rock
2012-05-20, 12:56
Updating possibles:

Bearpaw
Jermm
Southmark
Ewker & Hamhocker
JDBaughman
Creek Hopper (my son)

Plus HF possibilities - So far it looks like:
Medicine Man
Wisenber
Shadow Alpha
Black Wolf
Ursa Major + 2 possible friends
Sunshine Hiker
Acer
SkunkApe
engine386
Loneoak

Hog On Ice
2012-05-20, 13:21
a bit of a crowd for the area assuming those HF wan... errr members all show up - not to worry though no way will they all show up

I'm assuming the campsites between 180.5 and 180.7 from profile are the campsites to be used

SGT Rock
2012-05-20, 13:29
I'm planning to set up in that site where we cleaned all the trash from. You are more than welcome but I guess that the crowd may be bigger than you like.

Skidsteer
2012-05-20, 18:21
There should be a shitload of tent sites available.

Ray
2012-05-20, 18:34
There should be a shitload of tent sites available.There's better ways to say that there's no privy.

Skidsteer
2012-05-20, 19:38
There's better ways to say that there's no privy.

:biggrin:

JDBaughman
2012-05-21, 02:19
Ehhh count me out. Apparently the wifey has something planned for my daughter and I that weekend...

SGT Rock
2012-05-21, 04:06
No problem.

southmark
2012-05-23, 15:55
I'm sitting in Northern Outdoors outside of Caratunk,ME waiting on river ferry. Based on yesterdays hike over Moxie Bald and Pleasant Pond Mountain and with the Bigalows and Mahoosucs to go I just may still be in bed for this trip.

Bearpaw
2012-05-23, 17:19
I'm sitting in Northern Outdoors outside of Caratunk,ME waiting on river ferry. Based on yesterdays hike over Moxie Bald and Pleasant Pond Mountain and with the Bigalows and Mahoosucs to go I just may still be in bed for this trip.

The Bigelows are mellow and beautiful with open ridge lines giving views to forever of green conifers and blue lakes. The Mahoosucs are just a contest to see how cruel the MATC can make trail.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-23, 17:23
have fun in the notch

SGT Rock
2012-05-23, 20:18
Sweet.

Today we had a bear running around on the complex. People were freaking out. I didn't see it though. Hopefully we will see one on the trail this week.

SGT Rock
2012-05-23, 20:20
Oh, and what I meant to say, I'll be out of the net for the next week doing trail maintenance and hiking in the Smokys. I'll catch up on the Hang info when I get back.

D'Artagnan
2012-05-24, 15:25
Updating possibles:

Bearpaw
Jermm
Southmark
Ewker & Hamhocker
JDBaughman
Creek Hopper (my son)

Plus HF possibilities - So far it looks like:
Medicine Man
Wisenber
Shadow Alpha
Black Wolf
Sunshine Hiker
Acer
SkunkApe
engine386
Loneoak

"Black Wolf"? If it's the one I'm thinking of, there's your party right there!

SGT Rock
2012-05-29, 10:25
I just got back yesterday. Looks like not much has changed.

SGT Rock
2012-05-31, 16:05
Acer's question got me to thinking about this, so here is a general concept of what I see going on.

Friday - I intend to go up there sometime and set up in the campsite I plan to use. I hope to get some wood together for Saturday night. Anyone that wants to come in Friday is invited to come on in.

Saturday - nothing formal (I hate formal) since people will likely be coming in all day long. There is a cool waterfall ~0.7 miles from the camp which also has a very nice swimming hole. People may want to go down and cool off during the hot part of the day, or just wade around in the creek by the camp or do some fishing there - there are a lot of people who fish around here so I assume there is some decent fishing here. About 4pm I plan to start building the fire and get some coals going to cook steaks. During the whole day there will be plenty of time for people to talk about lightweight hammock stuff. I figure after dinner we can sit around the campfire and talk about ultralight ideas if anyone is interested in doing a campfire talk session.

Saturday dinner: When I originally planned this I didn't think there would be more than 10 people show up, but now it is looking like about 20 people are going to be there - which is a lot of cooking. I figure I will bring about 12 steaks (Acer is bringing some too) and we will see what happens as I figure some people will fall out at the last minute, something which always seem to happen when there is a group camping trip or hike. If you want to bring your own meat that would be great. Some folks may be vegetarian as well, so there is also that. You will be responsible for your own sides. Adult beverages are welcome, but please pack out your trash.

Sunday - again, nothing formal. I don't know what time I plan to cut out of there, but I am giving a ride to someone and if they need to leave out early that will impact my time to leave. No one has to leave, it is a great area for hiking and such. But there is nothing specific planned for Sunday morning.

I don't know if anyone plans to bring a dog, but if you do, just keep it under control. There was this one time in that same area a few years back...

SGT Rock
2012-06-07, 19:27
We just got back from doing maintenance on the trail out to the campsite and the campsites. Mainly brush work and a couple of blow downs on the trail. There are a couple of step-overs in the wilderness end, but nothing hard. We dug out two fire rings in the campsite area and packed out the trash. We have also cut a nice stack of fire wood and have attempted hiding in in hopes that it is still there next weekend. We left a few piles of fire wood in obvious places as "sacrificial" wood in the hopes that between now and then it is enough for whoever camps in that area just burns that and doesn't go looking around and find our cache.

Just so people are aware of it, this section of trail has a couple of hard spots. The worst is just after you turn off Slickrock Creek Trail onto Ike Branch Trail where it climbs about 400' in about 1/4 mile.

Attendance list update as of 6-7-12

Medicine Man
Wisenber
Shadow Alpha
Black Wolf
Acer
engine386
Poof
abwillingham
ragnall
scooterdogma + 2
Neutron and his son
rafter C
Bearpaw
Southmark
Ewker & Hamhocker
Skeeter (my son, new trail name LOL)

From the original thread I'll add on these possibles as well:
Moondoggy

Looks like a possible total count of about 25 people.

-----------------------------------------------------
Parking: be advised that there is some sort of construction project going on at Choah Dam, when we got there yesterday there were about 30 cars parked in the area. At first I thought we were going to see a bunch of rafters and hikers but I eventually figured it out. So just know when you get there you may be scouting around for a parking place if you show up Friday. I hope they don't work weekends, but if they do know that there is also going to be a chance you may need to scout around for a place to park.

JDBaughman
2012-06-10, 00:59
I just bought a hammock and I'm pretty sure I got a good 'nough set up for rain... I wish I could go... I'd like to formally meet some of you people. however, it's fathers day and apparently there is some surprise for me here at home.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-10, 01:13
more important to be a good father than it is to hang out with those people from HF

JDBaughman
2012-06-10, 01:48
more important to be a good father than it is to hang out with those people from HF

Yea, hopefully there will be some more in the near future. I kinda like this hammock deal.

SGT Rock
2012-06-10, 04:40
I'll let you know when I'm going out around here and you have an open invite. You can bring your hammock along.

Bearpaw
2012-06-10, 21:21
Got a new WB tarp and BIAS hammock. Looking to tweak them at the hang.

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 00:20
When y'all reckon you're going to be there? We plan to try to be there by noon Friday.

Bearpaw
2012-06-11, 16:07
I'm thinking of heading into Farr Gap around noon Friday and heading out to the dam on Sunday.

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 16:16
If you are feeling your oats, come on down to the creek Friday night and we can drink bourbon.

Bearpaw
2012-06-11, 16:18
Assuming I don't get lost on that section again, I plan to be there mid-afternoon.

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 16:21
Sounds good. Whatever you do, follow the creek downhill. If you start going back up on a ridge you are doing it wrong.

Bearpaw
2012-06-11, 16:29
Yeah, I figured that part out. Now the trick will be fording Slickrock Creek with the on and off rain this week. It doesn't look too bad, but it won't be the rock hop I did in Oct '10 either.

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 16:44
It will be below your knees.

southmark
2012-06-12, 09:04
You will have to take my name off the list. I am not going to make this one. Maine beat me up pretty good considering the number of falls that I took. Besides after driving 24 hours back home I just do not feel up to a measly 6 hour drive. I hate I will miss seeing some hammocking innovations in person. Y'all have a great hang!

Dale

SGT Rock
2012-06-12, 15:40
No problem. Get some rest.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-12, 17:11
yeah that 24 hour drive from Maine sucked the last time that I did it - I should have made reservations 12 hours out but ... I didn't and it was a Saturday so every motel I checked was full.

SGT Rock
2012-06-17, 20:54
I just got back a little earlier today.I have to honestly say I was worrying about how this would go with a large crowd. It turns out about 22 people (I may be slightly off on that) showed up, but there were never more than about 18 there at any given time. And it was a good little gathering. We traded a lot of ideas for tweaking weights and ultralight ideas for hammocks and tarps. I'm looking forward to trying some out. Some of my Hiking HQ friends showed up to the party.

generoll
2012-06-17, 22:16
so when is this?

JDBaughman
2012-06-18, 01:28
So how did the hang go? Wish I could've been there. Ended up taking my little girl camping... She wanted to take the Wiener dog to sleep with as well as the weimaraner... Well, at about 3am, the little wiener dog had explosive diarrhea inside a sleeping bag (noone was in it)... Which was inside the tent... Daughter woke up crying which woke me up to the smell of ASS DEATH... Needless to say, at 3am I was not a happy camper... And because I began washing the bag out, Max, my Weimaraner decides to run off?!?so I end up rinsing a sleeping bag, tracking down MY dog, And airing out my tent the rest of the morning, while also trying to get my daughter back to sleep... As soon as I got home, I put the sleeping bag in the washer... It's still drying... It was my NICE Marmot bag too... Damn dog... Shouldn't have given in to those cute little eyes of hers and let her sleep in a sleeping bag... FML

Lesson learned: wiener dogs DO NOT get their own sleeping bag. As a matter of fact, they sleep in the vestibule outside the tent!!!

Ewker
2012-06-18, 10:34
Hamhocker and I had a great time even though that one section had her thinking that she was out of her league about backpacking anymore.....luckily she got over it when she was called a hiker by Sgt Rock. That made her feel a lot better plus she heard how some others folks had trouble also.

I will try to get some pics up this evening

Bearpaw
2012-06-18, 12:19
It was a really good time. I haven't taken a zero day in the backcountry in years. I'll try to put together a trip report soon.

SGT Rock
2012-06-18, 19:46
I had a good time. Drank a lot of Makers Mark too.

Bearpaw
2012-06-18, 19:48
I had a good time. Drank a lot of Makers Mark too.

I was surprised how quickly that bottle went. And it didn't seem like you were the chief consumer. Was there any left?

JERMM
2012-06-18, 20:00
i had a great time, good to see everyone, can't wait for the next one...:biggrin:

Hog On Ice
2012-06-18, 20:54
right JERMM - pull the other one it has bells on

SGT Rock
2012-06-18, 21:34
I was surprised how quickly that bottle went. And it didn't seem like you were the chief consumer. Was there any left?

A little bit. When a bottle gets opened around a camp fire it is for sharing.

Ewker
2012-06-18, 22:01

I think the Colonel helped him out on that bottle

Tipi Walter
2012-06-18, 22:07
I got back today and will link to my trip report on Trailspace.com for those interested. You can link it to Hammock Forums for those folks there who want to see it.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/129212.html

SGT Rock
2012-06-18, 22:20
Thanks man, I'll [post it over there.

Bearpaw
2012-06-18, 22:24
I got back today and will link to my trip report on Trailspace.com for those interested. You can link it to Hammock Forums for those folks there who want to see it.

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/129212.html

Awesome report Tipi! I was happily surprised at how relatively easy the walk out up Stiffknee Trail was. Like you, I saved a lot of drive time by stepping from Farr Gap instead of Cheoah Dam.

It was great seeing you again.

JERMM
2012-06-19, 00:27
right JERMM - pull the other one it has bells on

HOI- i was so ultra-light and stealthy they didn't see me...:vroam:

Roche
2012-06-19, 09:36
Sgt Rock - Thank you for putting this little gathering together. It was a pleasure to finally meet you and to enjoy a few of your hiking war stories; I'm still cracking up at the ones you told Friday night. And your son William is a great kid (a fellow dry ramen eater). It was also great to meet "the royal prince of the citico", Tipi Walter, as well as Bearpaw and Dewey. There were many old friends there and now new ones; I only wish there was time to get to chat with everyone. I look forward to seeing y'all (did this yankee say that correctly?) down the trail again.

Tipi Walter
2012-06-19, 16:31
Awesome report Tipi! I was happily surprised at how relatively easy the walk out up Stiffknee Trail was. Like you, I saved a lot of drive time by stepping from Farr Gap instead of Cheoah Dam.

It was great seeing you again.

It was great talking to you and I hope we run into each other again. There's a lot of backpacking to be done between Cohutta wilderness and the Smokies, and I believe you'd find favor in the Snowbirds and a return to the BMT from Sandy Gap north along State Line Ridge to Brookshire and Sycamore Creek and Whiggs Meadow and the Citico---and all points between.

If you're ever in the area, drop me a message either here or at Whiteblaze.

Ewker
2012-06-22, 12:12
Got a new WB tarp and BIAS hammock. Looking to tweak them at the hang.

Bearpaw, which BIAS hammock did you buy and how did you like it?

Bearpaw
2012-06-22, 13:02
Bearpaw, which BIAS hammock did you buy and how did you like it?

I got a single layer camper. It is twelve ounces and sturdy enough to hold even my weight. As is, it is less than half the weight of my ENO double nest and still plenty wide.

It is not quite as comfortable as the ENO. I get some noticeable calf pressure from the fabric in the middle of the hammock. Once I drop my sit pad into the foot, the problem goes away however.

I got the Knotty mods at foot and head as well. These are simply shock cords that draw the head and foot ends in a little bit, making a sort of box. It is not nearly as pronounced as I expected, certainly not like having the footbox on a Blackbird. However, I tried the hammock both snugged and loose and found I prefer a partial snugging that prevents the loose material from flapping around my head.

It's a decent hammock. The real benefit is the major weight I can drop with it. But it is not the most comfortable hammock I've used. As I hang it more and tweak it a bit, I expect I will find ways to be more comfortable.

Ewker
2012-06-22, 13:21
thanks for the info on it. Did you have a bugnet that you used for it? If I could sew I would to do hangnout's bugnet he made with shock cord.

Bearpaw
2012-06-22, 13:38
thanks for the info on it. Did you have a bugnet that you used for it? If I could sew I would to do hangnout's bugnet he made with shock cord.

No bug net yet.

SGT Rock
2012-06-22, 15:02
Try that HUG system. I like it.