PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on the AT, check out the quote!

SGT Rock
2012-05-23, 20:50
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/may/22/walk-smokies-hikers-fight-crowds-weather-appalachi/

And then we hear something new: “Next year, most of the through-hikers I’ve talked to say they won’t be going through the Smokies,” Rockit said. “They’re going to be hitting the Benton MacKaye Trail.”I have no idea where that trail is located.

I gotta get a hold of this writer and invite him out!

shadowmoss
2012-05-23, 21:27
All I know about the Benton MacKaye is what I read in your journal of your hike, but doesn't it go through the Park as well, just a different section? I have thought I might do that part as well, to avoid the shelter issue. Pardon my ignorance. I'm assuming 'avoiding the Smokies' is to avoid the fees?

SGT Rock
2012-05-23, 21:35
The BMT goes through the park as well. When fees are in place there will not be any advantage in avoiding fees for the BMT, but you will avoid the crowds and experience a lot more freedom in camping because there are a lot more campsites on the BMT compared to the AT in the park.

I think the general AT thru-hiker experience in the park is one of crowded shelters, bad weather on the ridge, and generally an attitude of just getting through the park with the least hassle possible and as quickly as possible due to all that. Few AT thru-hikers I talk to enjoy their Smokys experience, which is a shame because it is a nice place to hike.

The BMT with less crowds and more freedom can allow hikers to enjoy their hike. The hiker just has to get over the fact that the BMT is about 20 miles longer through the park.

HOI did the BMT through the park on his hike, I think he liked it. I've hiked both the AT and the BMT and I prefer the BMT for the most part although the AT does have some great spots too. I hope that it does get a little more popular, but not too much ;)

Cuffs
2012-05-23, 21:41
I promote the BMT thru the Smokys every chance I get. Having done it, I know how much better it is than the AT and the crowds.

Hog On Ice
2012-05-23, 22:15
I definitely enjoyed it even though I had seven days of rain - no crowds, easy hammocking, only one shelter (I dislike shelters), interesting botany, easy access to Cherokee for resupply

saimyoji
2012-05-23, 22:25
get ready for the BMT to soon be reassigned as the "new" AT....

SGT Rock
2012-05-23, 22:28
I doubt that seriously. The reason is this: though many complain about the shelters, I find that AT hikers get addicted to them. What I think they really hate is crowded shelters.

saimyoji
2012-05-23, 22:33
You would know better than I. I just think that AT hikers, for the most part, are trend followers.... If the trend is towards the BMT and carry an extra 5 lbs worth of tent....well....time will tell. In any event, this is great news for you Sarge....soon you'll be a millionaire from guidebook sales...hell, put together a video series, brand name some gear....shit, we'll all be calling you SIR!!

SGT Rock
2012-05-23, 22:35
LOL. Not likely. But it is a cool fantasy. I can retire early!

rhjanes
2012-05-24, 09:42
that is interesting. I agree with what everyone said. On my canoe trip (Buffalo National River) a few weeks ago, my canoe buddy was stating what a "pit" the AT was in the Smokys. I told him it seemed from reading thru hiker stories, the most disliked area, due to over crowding, horses, overuse of the trail. Most thru's, seem on a mission to "get this part over with". I'd looked at the BMT also and almost wonder if the AT should not do something like swap back and forth every few years. Reducing the impact and such.
Rock, you happen to know the milage difference between the AT and the BMT thru the park?

Crikey
2012-05-24, 10:25
The reason is this: though many complain about the shelters, I find that AT hikers get addicted to them.

I saw my first AT shelter when I was 8 years old. I remember, even to this day, thinking "why would anyone want to sleep in a nasty, smelly, mice ridden box when you're out in the woods".

Big Mac
2012-05-24, 10:53
This thread would be 20 pages long over at that other place by now.

Crikey
2012-05-24, 11:29
Nope. We'd have to start talking about pistachios shell spitting unleashed dogs with guns that snore in nasty shelters after buying gear at REI.

saimyoji
2012-05-24, 13:14
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/05/22/brother-leave-college-behind-to-thru-hike-appalachian-trail/

anyone can get famous not finishing the trail these days....

cool breeze
2012-05-24, 13:22
How is he famous?

Cuffs
2012-05-24, 13:24
It's a good thing they hiked and didn't study 'aboard.' Not real sure where other students do that but it doesn't sound fun...

'When brothers Jake and Matt Schmitt set out looking for an adventure, studying aboard like other college students wasn’t enough....'

Crikey
2012-05-24, 14:45
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/05/22/brother-leave-college-behind-to-thru-hike-appalachian-trail/

Bryson?

D'Artagnan
2012-05-24, 14:58

The typo in the first damn paragraph did me in. Studying "aboard". Aboard what? A ship? Oh, you mean "abroad"!

Oops! Just saw Cuffs beat me to the punch when I went to page 2 of this thread. D

Hog On Ice
2012-05-24, 15:02
main question I have is how their nutrition was the main cause of the injury to the leg (bad tendinitis, strained ligaments) ?

saimyoji
2012-05-24, 16:28
bad writing by someone who didn't do a thorough background check on the topic they were writing about. like most pop-media these days...

Ray
2012-05-24, 16:58
Could have meant they were studying a board, meaning they were training to be carpenters.

Unless they were studying a broad, in which case they'd be Frank Sinatra.

SGT Rock
2012-05-28, 17:10
that is interesting. I agree with what everyone said. On my canoe trip (Buffalo National River) a few weeks ago, my canoe buddy was stating what a "pit" the AT was in the Smokys. I told him it seemed from reading thru hiker stories, the most disliked area, due to over crowding, horses, overuse of the trail. Most thru's, seem on a mission to "get this part over with". I'd looked at the BMT also and almost wonder if the AT should not do something like swap back and forth every few years. Reducing the impact and such.
Rock, you happen to know the milage difference between the AT and the BMT thru the park?

It is about 20 miles longer to do the BMT.

Frolicking Dino
2012-05-31, 22:06
Rock, if your serious about getting in touch with the writer:
frank.trexler@thedailytimes.com or work phone is 981-1139. I've worked on a few charity events with him. Nice fellow.

SGT Rock
2012-06-01, 07:55
Thanks Dino, I'm going to write him an e-mail now.

Superman
2012-06-01, 08:10
If I were in charge I would make the BMT an optional alternative to the AT from Springer to Davenport Gap. The BMT is longer for that distance but worth it to me.

SGT Rock
2012-06-01, 08:18
I agree. For people that don't care if their hike is officially sanctioned (ie they don't care about the patch) they can already do it. I've been reading about the PCT lately with it's alternate routes like the Eagle Creek Trail, the Tahoe Rim Trail, and other trails that are alternate routes - it would be nice if the AT had a list of alternates.

Mags
2012-06-01, 15:35
I agree. For people that don't care if their hike is officially sanctioned (ie they don't care about the patch) they can already do it. I've been reading about the PCT lately with it's alternate routes like the Eagle Creek Trail, the Tahoe Rim Trail, and other trails that are alternate routes - it would be nice if the AT had a list of alternates.

I honestly don't think the ATC would really care. I know for a fact people have written them, said they took an alternate, and rec'd the totchke for their wall.

If you really want to push it, ALDHA-W (who hands out the triple crowner plaques) recognizes the validity of alt routes for all three trails. When I did the Colorado Trail and told them about a cool alternate I did, they sent a certificate in the mail (did not even know they had one when I wrote it! :) )

Ultimately it really falls into WGARA (Who Gives a Rats Ass) category.....

Only online weenies really give two shits about if people were 'pure' or not. ;)

Crikey
2012-06-01, 16:11
For people that don't care if their hike is officially sanctioned (ie they don't care about the patch)

When I finished I wrote "The Conference" to get my "patch". They sent the standard one (Maine to Georgia).

I wrote back to ask specifically for the 2k miler "rocker patch". They sent the standard one (Maine to Georgia).

At that point, I began to officially not give a shit about patches.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?atcmem=1&itemid=158&compid=1

Superman
2012-06-01, 16:32
It may only be a minority of folks that would be against it but they cast a big shadow on the wanabe thru hikers. Wing Foot still echoes to them to hike it "his way."