PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes when it's quiet

Nearly Normal
2012-06-02, 00:21
Once I saw three things in an hour.
First was a snapping turtle, He was hung up in the small pond drain and I fished him out. Had him by tail taking him to a safe place and walked up on a doe that stomped her foot and snorted then ran. Close to there I found a new fawn..... Continued on to the safe place for the turtle and found a frog streched out dead like....one of those big frog leg bullfrogs. Looked dead as a nail. Picked him up and found he was covered with fire ants so I washed him off and set him back in the pond and in a little while he swam off.
I'd like another hour like that.

chumpchange
2012-06-02, 01:27
is this a poem?

Nearly Normal
2012-06-02, 02:13
UC01eq2Vkg0

Nearly Normal
2012-06-02, 02:24
is this a poem?

Does your women smile when she sees you?
This would be a better question.

chumpchange
2012-06-02, 02:45
Does your women smile when she sees you?
This would be a better question.

women? no smiling when they see me at the same time.

EDIT: only on pay day.

Gaiter
2012-06-02, 03:47
First was a snapping turtle, He was hung up in the small pond drain and I fished him out. Had him by tail taking him to a safe place and walked up on a doe that stomped her foot and snorted then ran. Close to there I found a new fawn..... Continued on to the safe place for the turtle and found a frog streched out dead like....one of those big frog leg bullfrogs. Looked dead as a nail. Picked him up and found he was covered with fire ants so I washed him off and set him back in the pond and in a little while he swam off.

gungho
2012-06-02, 06:34

amen my brother

Lugnut
2012-06-02, 09:51
is this a poem?

I doubt it. Nearly Normal just notices things most of us overlook.

dixicritter
2012-06-02, 15:22
I doubt it. Nearly Normal just notices things most of us overlook.

And puts them in words that'll paint the picture for ya.

generoll
2012-06-02, 15:39
all in one day? a day well spent my friend.

Superman
2012-06-03, 08:44
Some times when it's quiet we see the geese that adopted our lower field. Every year they come and make babies and raise them on the end of the field nearest the carriage shed. I mow the field to keep it open but we've been planting blueberry bushes where the geese hang out. It's just one mom and dad and what ever babies they make in the spring. Last fall I left the netting on one of the bushes that keeps the birds from eating the blueberries. This spring one of the baby geese got it's neck caught in it and died. I got rid of the netting and we didn't see any geese for a while. We thought that ended the geese sanctuary but the geese came back.

Nearly Normal
2012-06-03, 09:39
Some times when it's quiet we see the geese that adopted our lower field. Every year they come and make babies and raise them on the end of the field nearest the carriage shed. I mow the field to keep it open but we've been planting blueberry bushes where the geese hang out. It's just one mom and dad and what ever babies they make in the spring. Last fall I left the netting on one of the bushes that keeps the birds from eating the blueberries. This spring one of the baby geese got it's neck caught in it and died. I got rid of the netting and we didn't see any geese for a while. We thought that ended the geese sanctuary but the geese came back.

Goose is tasty.

Superman
2012-06-03, 09:49
Goose is tasty.

I heard that they taste like eagles?

sheepdog
2012-06-03, 10:23
I saw on the news a few days back that some guy is taking city people on tours in the woods so they can here quiet. The news guy went and said how different it was from normal life.

I couldn't live like that.

JERMM
2012-06-03, 14:12

what an awesome hour that was

Goose is tasty.

so are bullfrog legs

i was sleeping out in the hammock the other night, had a deer walk in pretty close, she snorted a few times then went on about her business. i say her, i always say her unless i see antlers and i see does almost everyday around here.

saimyoji
2012-06-04, 00:47
Goose is tasty.

my hunting friend here in PA says they are greasier than duck, and the meat is a nasty grey. having never tasted geese i can't really speak...but duck isn't on my "must have" at the chinese joint...

i do believe those fucking gooses oughta be slaughtered...no bag limits...

Nearly Normal
2012-06-04, 04:14
Canada Goose....repeat....repeat......most of the rest of them are not fit to eat unless you realy like that stuff. Ducks suck too. I have hunted them and I like the dog and calling work but they just ain't fit to eat so I quit. I don't believe in hunting what ain't hardy fit to eat.

Superman
2012-06-04, 06:00
I don't hunt any critters that come to my property to hang out. The deer hang out for days in my carriage shed in full view from the house. The fox sits by the barn when it is waiting for the kit to get old enough to move on. The geese hang out at one end of the field. When I mow the field they just cross to the other side of the Smith River (stream) and wait for me to leave. Turkies stop by for a drink and the beavers have made dams down stream.

sheepdog
2012-06-04, 07:44
Canada Goose....repeat....repeat......most of the rest of them are not fit to eat unless you realy like that stuff. Ducks suck too. I have hunted them and I like the dog and calling work but they just ain't fit to eat so I quit. I don't believe in hunting what ain't hardy fit to eat.

If you grind the duck up, add jerky spice, put it in a jerky cannon and smoke it until it's done, it tastes just like venison jerky.

MonkeyBoy
2012-06-04, 10:40
You are the coolest, NN......

Thank you for that.

Superman
2012-06-04, 11:11
My question is....are women turned on by a goose?

Crikey
2012-06-04, 11:17
I got attacked by a turkey hen last week while I was running on a trail. Scattered the kids and she didn't take kindly to it.

I just stood there with my arms spread out, she nipped me a couple of times, then followed me for about 20 yards.

JERMM
2012-06-04, 11:24

no...now go back in your closet

chumpchange
2012-06-04, 11:30
I got attacked by a turkey hen last week while I was running on a trail. Scattered the kids and she didn't take kindly to it.

I just stood there with my arms spread out, she nipped me a couple of times, then followed me for about 20 yards.

jive turkey.

Superman
2012-06-04, 11:32
no...now go back in your closet

Ouch....I suppose you'd say that a woman isn't turned on by a guy blowing in her ear?

Cuffs
2012-06-04, 11:49

No. But pâté is pretty good.

Superman
2012-06-04, 12:25
No. But pâté is pretty good.

I loved pate and the fish in "The War of the Roses."

Weary
2012-06-04, 13:30
A delightful report, NN. It inspired me to look out the window on this rainy day -- the fourth in a row. The high tide had encroached 50 feet onto the former hay field I call a lawn. An ominous sign that our climate truly is changing. Before I invested nearly $3,000 50 years ago this fall for these 2 acres, I queried the owner closely about whether the water ever flooded the land. I was assured it never had. And it didn't for the first quarter century, but lately it's become common. Along with six inch rain falls. Once 2 inches of rain set records. Now half foot rainfalls are routine.

But my canoe is ready. Last winter's winds had blown it over onto some stumps from brush I had cut -- puncturing the bottom. I finished the patching only last week. I had expected to see some geese in the cove, but they apparently had sought a more protected spot. I had to make do with a great blue heron perched on my neighbors boat ramp.

Other changes I see from my window are also good. Fifty years ago these two acres were cheap because marsh and tidal flats stunk from pollution. The sewage and industrial wastes from the 40 percent of Maine drained by the Kennebec and Androscoggin Rivers then flowed untreated past these shores. Now it's all treated -- not perfectly -- but enough to change the character of this tidal estuary. Striped bass and an occasional spawning salmon have returned. Thousands of small boats and probably a million shore birds join my canoe on the waters each spring, summer and fall. A few geese and wild ducks even spend the winter.

The changes are vivid this Monday, because Mary Ellen and I spent the weekend at the Democratic State Convention. A half century ago the conventions dealt with how to clean our waters and air, and protect our lands. This year the fight was how to keep these hard-won protections. We saw many allies from the original environmental battles. It was a time to celebrate past victories and a reminder that victories won, need continued vigilance.

D'Artagnan
2012-06-04, 15:28
I loved pate and the fish in "The War of the Roses."

Woof.