PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Oil Filter

Hikerhead
2012-06-08, 23:49
I know..not hiking related but I have to share this. Most everyone changes thier oil at one time or another. I had a oil filter stuck on my Nova that I've been trying to get off for about 2 weeks. I've bought every known doo-dad that you can find in most stores with no luck. Then, I did a little youtube searching and found this and it came off as easy as they show it in the video. Off course, I didn't need the hole saw cause I had already destroyed the filter and I've been beating the shit out of it with a cold chisel. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2nDh93-Yog

Superman
2012-06-09, 06:51
I always change the oil in my cars myself. I haven't had an oil filter problem like you had since about the 70s. I had a 1970 Nova brand new that I had to tear the filter apart but I got it after using the right number of swear words. I have found that I can do any car repair if I swear enough.

JERMM
2012-06-09, 09:15
I always change the oil in my cars myself. I haven't had an oil filter problem like you had since about the 70s. I had a 1970 Nova brand new that I had to tear the filter apart but I got it after using the right number of swear words. I have found that I can do any car repair if I swear enough.

:motz: this applies to most problematic situations...good job!

Superman
2012-06-09, 09:47
:motz: this applies to most problematic situations...good job!

True and it helps me gather all my remaining brain cells to either figure it out or apply sufficient ignorance and brute force to overcome the problem.

sheepdog
2012-06-09, 10:13
Cussing works good when you're knocking someone down and putting handcuffs on them too.

cool breeze
2012-06-09, 10:21
Let me see your hands Mother Fucker.

JERMM
2012-06-09, 11:02
if nothing else cussin just make ya feel better

Superman
2012-06-09, 11:10
if nothing else cussin just make ya feel better

You mean like venting....only with feeling?

rhjanes
2012-06-09, 11:11
I always do my own. The few times I've let a shop do it, well, then there are issues getting the filter off. They do NOT understand "3/4 turn past when the filter seal engages the engine". On a car when they are stuck, I've got several straps that usually work, including one with "jaws" on it. Worst case, I've beat a screw driver thru the filter, stuck on a small pipe over the handle (for leverage) and gotten them off. CUSSING the idiot 17 year old kid that did the gorrilla move in the first place.
I also install Fomoto valves on all the oil drains on our daily drivers. These are cool twist and open valves, so no more stipped oil drain plugs either.

JERMM
2012-06-09, 11:33
You mean like venting....only with feeling?

zackly

Crikey
2012-06-09, 11:59
I do my oil changes on my Trooper, a 91. It's got an engine compartment big enough to stand in. It also has a 2 barrel carb.

I showed the carb to a kid who thought he was mechanic god. He didn't know what it was.

Rebuilding one of those fuckers was the hardest things I think I have ever done.

Skidsteer
2012-06-09, 12:18
Rebuilding one of those fuckers was the hardest things I think I have ever done.

The first time I tried it, I installed it on the engine and it started right up. Then caught on fire...

Hikerhead
2012-06-09, 12:24
I've always changed the filters on my cars since day one and this has been the only time I've simply could not get it off. This was the second time I've changed the filter on the Nova. The first time I couldn't get it off either and drove it to a buddy's who had a lift and we got it. This time I was determined to do it myself, it's just a fucking oil filter, right? Part of the problem is that it's up in hole bordered by the headers, the bell housing and the oversized oil pan, in a hole kind of like in that video. I'm going to go clean up the mess now and take pics of everything I used to try to take it off, it's a mess. It won't be a problem the next time....WEEEEEE!!!!

chumpchange
2012-06-09, 12:44
that oil looked brand new!

not sure how much space you got but i have driven a screwdriver thru the middle from the side and turned them loose a couple of times.
not sure i'd try it these days 'cuz i'm sure the metal casing is a lot thinner.

Hikerhead
2012-06-09, 13:14
that oil looked brand new!

not sure how much space you got but i have driven a screwdriver thru the middle from the side and turned them loose a couple of times.
not sure i'd try it these days 'cuz i'm sure the metal casing is a lot thinner.

I tried that also, there wasn't enough room to turn it. The metal is very thin, the only thick part about is at the top, where the threads are.

chumpchange
2012-06-09, 14:23
i believe at that point i would just put on some thick gloves with good grip and might it off.

cussing is encouraged.

good luck !!

Two Speed
2012-06-09, 14:40
I've beat a screw driver thru the filter, stuck on a small pipe over the handle (for leverage) and gotten them off . . .
. . . i have driven a screwdriver thru the middle from the side and turned them loose a couple of times. . . Yeah, that's my favored method for stuck oil filters.
I tried that also, there wasn't enough room to turn it. Mmmm, did suck to be you, didn't it?
The first time I tried it, I installed it on the engine and it started right up. Then caught on fire...OK, I gotta hear that story over a campfire.

BTW, Terry brought your sweater up on the Coosa hike. The other couple in camp seemed pretty spooked when I started laughing my head off.

Hikerhead
2012-06-09, 14:52
http://rides.webshots.com/album/575679173itISKb

Well, I tried to upload a few pics and I can't make it work. Go the pics above and go to the last page, it's the last 5 or 6 pics. I also saw something in these pics that concerns me...I don't think I did it cause it looks old, will have to look into this.

Superman
2012-06-09, 15:34
http://rides.webshots.com/album/575679173itISKb

Well, I tried to upload a few pics and I can't make it work. Go the pics above and go to the last page, it's the last 5 or 6 pics. I also saw something in these pics that concerns me...I don't think I did it cause it looks old, will have to look into this.

I think that oil filter problem may have been one of the reasons I got rid of that 70 Nova. That and the engine would die when the engine was cold until I'd nurse it to go about 1/2 a mile....when it was brand new and on. The dealer just gave up on it.

Superman
2012-06-09, 15:37
I just finished replacing the speedo cable in my Jetta. I had to take part of the dash and the instrument cluster out to get at it.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-09, 15:41
when a person says "speedo" the first thing I think of is an article of clothing - had to read Spuerman's post twice just to get the image of a Jetta wearing a Speedo out of my head

Skidsteer
2012-06-09, 15:49
I just finished replacing the speedo cable in my Jetta. I had to take part of the dash and the instrument cluster out to get at it.

I hate that.

I had to pull everything in my worktruck trying to find the big brother GPS.

Turns out it was in the window vent access hatch. Didn't even need a screwdriver to get it open.

Big Mac
2012-06-09, 16:37
I hate that.

Turns out it was in the window vent access hatch. Didn't even need a screwdriver to get it open.

Dumbass . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Superman
2012-06-09, 16:43
I hate that.

It's nice being able to google the "how to" on line.

Big Mac
2012-06-09, 16:48
It's nice being able to google the "how to" on line.

You'd think a smart guy like Skids would have thought of that. Just sayin'.

Skidsteer
2012-06-09, 16:56
You'd think a smart guy like Skids would have thought of that. Just sayin'.

Google is pretty good but it can't read your employer's mind and tell you where the tracking device is.

Big Mac
2012-06-09, 17:00
Google is pretty good but it can't read your employer's mind and tell you where the tracking device is.

That's up to you. :-)

Big Mac
2012-06-09, 17:04
Why did you need to pull that anyway? Don't want them to know what whorehouses you frequent?

Hog On Ice
2012-06-09, 17:15
more likely the three hour lunches were a bit too obvious ;-)

Skidsteer
2012-06-09, 17:32
Why did you need to pull that anyway? Don't want them to know what whorehouses you frequent?

General principles.

I'd already told them straight up that if they didn't trust me, they should fire me. Then they tried to sneak it in on me. Every other vehicle in the company they came to the driver and asked for the keys so they could do the install. They had spare keys for mine and tried to do it when I was preoccupied with a project because they knew my feelings on the subject and knew them very clearly. Pissed me off.

Big Mac
2012-06-09, 17:41
General principles.

I'd already told them straight up that if they didn't trust me, they should fire me. Then they tried to sneak it in on me. Every other vehicle in the company they came to the driver and asked for the keys so they could do the install. They had spare keys for mine and tried to do it when I was preoccupied with a project because they knew my feelings on the subject and knew them very clearly. Pissed me off.

It would piss me off too. I went for a job once as a production manager. The guy told me "everyone here is hourly and punches a time clock.". I told him that if he didn't trust me to put the hours in to do the job, they should hire someone else. I guess they did. By the time I had left I knew I didn't want the job.

Ray
2012-06-09, 17:45
General principles.

I'd already told them straight up that if they didn't trust me, they should fire me. Then they tried to sneak it in on me. Every other vehicle in the company they came to the driver and asked for the keys so they could do the install. They had spare keys for mine and tried to do it when I was preoccupied with a project because they knew my feelings on the subject and knew them very clearly. Pissed me off.Did you then FedEx it to China?

During the Iditarod sled dog race in Alaska the racers are now required to carry GPS units. During a mandatory 24 hour layover one of the racers gave his to a bush pilot doing a supply run. The GPS track showed his sled moving down the trail over 100 MPH.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-09, 17:47
should have stuck it in the boss' car or in the boss' ass

Ray
2012-06-09, 19:24
Boss' wife's car.