PDA

View Full Version : Finally just bought a hammock!

JDBaughman
2012-06-10, 00:54
So, I finally bought a hammock. An ENO single. I figured it would be enough for me. I know people rave about the double, but I like simplicity and I don't mind being a little snug... anyways, I was trying to figure out how to get/make a rainfly without paying for one ($80)... I have an issued mil-spec poncho liner and am using that right now as I type this.4106

It seems decent and it just drapes over so I don't think I'll need a mosquito net... This thing hugs the side and is also water proof... Any thoughts or ideas?

john pickett
2012-06-10, 04:36
You won't know until you sleep in it outdoors. Might want to treat the hammock bottom with permethrine. (sp?)

SGT Rock
2012-06-10, 04:56
So, I finally bought a hammock. An ENO single. I figured it would be enough for me. I know people rave about the double, but I like simplicity and I don't mind being a little snug... anyways, I was trying to figure out how to get/make a rainfly without paying for one ($80)... I have an issued mil-spec poncho liner and am using that right now as I type this.4106

It seems decent and it just drapes over so I don't think I'll need a mosquito net... This thing hugs the side and is also water proof... Any thoughts or ideas?
You have started on the path to ruin! Welcome to the club.

1. You can use a military poncho for a rain tarp. Braided mason twine from Lowes makes good tarp strings.

2. I don't know what suspension the Eno comes with, but get straps and use them to prevent damage to trees. Helps keep from getting hammocks banned from state parks.

3. You already posted a good link on using a poncho liner as an underquilt. If you have a military foam pad that is another good source for insulation on the cheap.

4. You can use an sleeping bag you already have in the hammock, but you will probably find that the best way to use it is to leave it un-zipped and use it like a top quilt.

5. Practice staying warm and setting it up before you get to the woods. Sleep in the yard a couple of times in different weather where you have somewhere to go to in case something isn't working right before you are stuck cold and/or wet in the middle of nowhere.

I can probably think of a couple of more. But I gotta go to work.

JDBaughman
2012-06-10, 12:38
You have started on the path to ruin! Welcome to the club.

1. You can use a military poncho for a rain tarp. Braided mason twine from Lowes makes good tarp strings.

2. I don't know what suspension the Eno comes with, but get straps and use them to prevent damage to trees. Helps keep from getting hammocks banned from state parks.

3. You already posted a good link on using a poncho liner as an underquilt. If you have a military foam pad that is another good source for insulation on the cheap.

4. You can use an sleeping bag you already have in the hammock, but you will probably find that the best way to use it is to leave it un-zipped and use it like a top quilt.

5. Practice staying warm and setting it up before you get to the woods. Sleep in the yard a couple of times in different weather where you have somewhere to go to in case something isn't working right before you are stuck cold and/or wet in the middle of nowhere.

I can probably think of a couple of more. But I gotta go to work.

It came with straps... I slept in it last night as well ;)

SGT Rock
2012-06-10, 19:43
One thing I would recommend is plan to eventually move up to a bigger tarp than a poncho. I consider about 8x10 to be a pretty good all around size.

JDBaughman
2012-06-10, 22:58
I actually have been looking at the Hennessy Hexfly... I found one on sale for around $60... I like it alot...

However, ENO makes the profly and I found it for $45... I'd much rather have the hennessy, but I'd also like to save as much $$$ as possible.

Cuffs
2012-06-10, 23:45
You don't want the ENO fly, not enough coverage. Remember, you get what you pay for. Spend a few more dollars and get the Hennessy or JRB or some others that are out there. If not, you'll just be spending more money on a replacement.

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 00:02
I've not used the Hennessy Hex tarp, but I am sure it is good, and at $60 it is probably a steal. You can get an 8 x 10 for around $90. Something like this: http://store.noc.com/Etowah-Outfitters-Ultralight-Tarp-8-X-10/11185/Product

saimyoji
2012-06-11, 01:15
Remember, you get what you pay for.

goes for cars women and lawyers too.....

Superman
2012-06-11, 01:39
goes for cars women and lawyers too.....

Um....maybe not with lawyers.

JDBaughman
2012-06-11, 09:04
The Hennessy tarp is 12'x9'. It's actually $68.00 with free shipping. I'm getting it.

shadowmoss
2012-06-11, 10:50
My first tarp was a Hennessy hex. It is a good tarp, plenty of coverage.

Yes, I said first. I have at least 2 others now, maybe more. I kind of lose track...

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 13:30
Sounds like a winner. I would go that way for sure.

Bearpaw
2012-06-11, 16:13
You know, you could day hike into the Slickrock hang on Saturday, check out several different rigs, and hike out that same day and still spend Fathers' Day with family. It would give you a real heads up on options you might mis from just hearing about it online. Just a thought.

SGT Rock
2012-06-11, 16:20
It is only 2.8 in, and if you did the loop, it would be about 6.3 miles total back to your car.

JDBaughman
2012-06-11, 17:31
You know, you could day hike into the Slickrock hang on Saturday, check out several different rigs, and hike out that same day and still spend Fathers' Day with family. It would give you a real heads up on options you might mis from just hearing about it online. Just a thought.

Well I have a job interview at 0600 Saturday... I have no idea why that early... Secondly, I'll see how everything works out. I have my daughter here now. (she doesn't live with me)

JDBaughman
2012-06-11, 20:34
BTW, decided to take the singlenest back and got the doublenest instead. I think I like it a lot more. I stayed 1 night in the single and thought the whole time that it wasn't quite as wide as I thought it should be... Only thing with this double is that the extra fabric flops around and shit

Cuffs
2012-06-11, 20:41
Pull the extra over you like a mini blanket... Are you lying in it correctly? You dont lay with your head and feet in line with the ends. Move head to the left and your feet to the right of center.

SunnyWalker
2012-06-11, 23:42
Hey JD, does you dog get in your hammock with you???!?!?!?!?!?????

JDBaughman
2012-06-11, 23:55
not yet... I'm worried he might puncture it... I've thought about it though

JDBaughman
2012-06-11, 23:56
Pull the extra over you like a mini blanket... Are you lying in it correctly? You dont lay with your head and feet in line with the ends. Move head to the left and your feet to the right of center.

"Brazilian" right? Yea, I lay diagonal... I never owned a hammock until now and I have always known that...

Cuffs
2012-06-12, 00:13
If that's how you roll but how you manscape is your bidness.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-12, 08:32
+ 1 for Cuffs

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-06-13, 12:38
...hennessy, but I'd also like to save as much $$$ as possible.

Oh yeah, that's exactly how the madness started for far too many of us. :hmmmm:

Brace yourself for the undeniable "need" for underquilts, topquilts, better tarps, and the big...suspension systems.:flute:

JDBaughman
2012-06-14, 09:59
Oh yeah, that's exactly how the madness started for far too many of us. :hmmmm:

Brace yourself for the undeniable "need" for underquilts, topquilts, better tarps, and the big...suspension systems.:flute:

Suspension as in whoopie slings or something like that...?

Cuffs
2012-06-14, 10:14
Well... It's more like the kind for fighting on the playground. Not sure how that would convert for hammock use.

SGT Rock
2012-06-14, 10:31
Woopie Slings, USRs, all straps.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-06-14, 21:35
Suspension as in whoopie slings or something like that...?

Rock called it. Whoopie slings etc are like a sickness...I have adjustable webbing (love it for the simplicity) and still find myself lusting after a Whoopie set up. It goes well beyond sickness when you find out about the Dutch and his Ti offerings.

JDBaughman
2012-06-15, 00:10
Well, I think my setup will work for now... I have those slap strap pros (free) and I can see how they are limited as far as fine tuning that perfect 30 degree angle...

I did however receive my order of figure 9 'biners and that helped out alot as far as setting up a structural ridge line and keeping the tension tight... I was having to hang it from the porch to a tree in the front yard and felt like I couldn't get a good angle without them... Either way, I'm sure they will come in handy...

I did order that Hennessy Hexfly... Should be here next week. I played with an actual tarp... It sucked ass

SGT Rock
2012-06-15, 00:34
FWIW, I hear the slap straps start to stretch out. You may end up investigating suspension options after a while. That said, I've never personally used them so I don't have that on first hand experience. Also, know that the guys on hammock forums can overdo it when it comes to hardware - so if you are looking there you might think you need lots of clips and biners and such. There are simpler ways than what is often the in-vogue thing over there. I'd get it working if I were you, then see what some other people are doing with their hammocks.

JDBaughman
2012-06-15, 14:39
Well I just saw a video of a guy that used those fig 9s and he said he didn't even need to tie knots... so I am using them for the ridge line... The nice thing about the hex tarp is that it has guy lines already attached... So I'll probably use some fig 9s with it as well to create some self tensioning guy lines to the ground... Looks legit... I've heard of people using them alot... never been camping in a hammock though so none of this is from experience... Just research, hear-say, and speculation...

Cuffs
2012-06-15, 14:45
Youre putting Fig9's on all the tie outs? I dont think you want to do that... Im sure Rock with interject here...

JDBaughman
2012-06-15, 19:46
Well, how else do you set up self tensioning guyouts without fig9s...?

Cuffs
2012-06-15, 19:47
You get shockcord for a loop in the tie out and just stake it down...

JDBaughman
2012-06-15, 19:48
The way it was explained to me was you run the line through the fig 9 and tie the shock cord to the line so that as the line stretches overnight, the shock cord keeps the tension tight n the line

JDBaughman
2012-06-16, 14:52
Just saw that JRB makes a self tensioning guy line. 4 pack for $19.99. Gonna get those instead.

Nother question: why is my hammock doing this? they aren't holes but look more like the fabric as been pushed over...? Should I be concerned? Patch it up right away? Not worry about it or what?

Hog On Ice
2012-06-16, 14:58
as to why - check your pants for hardware on the back pockets such as a zipper pull or maybe rivets, anything hard that is in your back pockets could cause this when you sit in the hammock - one think that I do is to empty out my pockets before getting into the hammock so stuff doesn't fall out of my pockets and get under me to cause problems such as you are seeing

JDBaughman
2012-06-17, 06:14
Probably my shorts... I empty my pockets too... Maybe a button or something... But 3 days old and it's already getting fucked up

Big Mac
2012-06-17, 13:09
.. But 3 days old and it's already getting fucked up

Same thing I said about my kids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Superman
2012-06-17, 13:38

Are you allowed to say that on father's day?

Tin Man
2012-06-17, 13:39

imagine what his kids must be saying about him..

Big Mac
2012-06-17, 13:41

I kid because I love.

Big Mac
2012-06-17, 13:42
imagine what his kids must be saying about him..

They know I'm a fucktard. I'm good with that.

chumpchange
2012-06-17, 13:43

same thing i said about my buzz.

Superman
2012-06-17, 13:45
Is a buzz the same as a henway?

Hog On Ice
2012-06-17, 14:01
what's a henway?

OK I'll play the straight man.

Superman
2012-06-17, 14:27
what's a henway?

OK I'll play the straight man.

LMAO....about 5 pounds.:biggrin:

john pickett
2012-06-18, 11:17
That's a baking henway. A frying henway's 2 pounds.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-06-18, 12:45
Also, know that the guys on hammock forums can overdo it when it comes to hardware - so if you are looking there you might think you need lots of clips and biners and such. There are simpler ways than what is often the in-vogue thing over there. I'd get it working if I were you, then see what some other people are doing with their hammocks.

The Rock is very correct about the OCD stuff on Hammock Forums on suspension etc...try being a motorcycle hammocker and get them to understand you don't need to go ubber light. Just to start you on the path, here is the Dutch link for a Whoopie Hook complete set up; http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/ ;)

The beauty of this system is simplicity with durability and light weight (if that is an issue for you). The suspension can be removed from your hammock to prevent it getting covered with pine goop etc when you break camp.

JDBaughman
2012-06-18, 14:00
The Rock is very correct about the OCD stuff on Hammock Forums on suspension etc...try being a motorcycle hammocker and get them to understand you don't need to go ubber light. Just to start you on the path, here is the Dutch link for a Whoopie Hook complete set up; http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/ ;)

The beauty of this system is simplicity with durability and light weight (if that is an issue for you). The suspension can be removed from your hammock to prevent it getting covered with pine goop etc when you break camp.

Nice! Here are a few pictures of what I'm working with so far. At this stage I'm not really concerned with saving a few ounces. This is by far lighter than my tent, But either way, any suggestions are appreciated.

This is my ridge line. I like it cause it's fast to set up. Already tied together, adjustable, & ready to go:
http://img.tapatalk.com/4255e549-6b6f-bb2c.jpg

This is the prusik knot I use to tighten one end around a tree. This way, no matter what tree I encounter, I'll be able to get a good taut ridge line:
http://img.tapatalk.com/4255e549-6c1a-cc04.jpg

This is the other end attached to a biner so that I can wrap it around a tree and hook it to itself:
http://img.tapatalk.com/4255e549-6d45-08d2.jpg

Here is my "structural" ridge line I have set up using fig 9s on both ends... Probably gonna just tie off one side to a biner and use a fig9 o the other end so that I can adjust it. But right now I'm using 2:
http://img.tapatalk.com/4255e549-6de9-776e.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937898-6fe8-023b.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/4255e549-6e0c-90ef.jpg

firemedic
2012-06-18, 16:29
FWIW I just picked up the

Kelty Noahs Tarp 12 x 12 from REI under 70 dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfFi4j1A10

Lugnut
2012-06-18, 17:01
FWIW I just picked up the

Kelty Noahs Tarp 12 x 12 from REI under 70 dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvfFi4j1A10

Apparently it's worth 70 dollars. :biggrin:

Ewker
2012-06-18, 17:31

I use the whoopie slings and tree straps but I stayed with the figure 9's. To me it is easier plus I would drop and lose all of those small things Dutch is making

JDBaughman
2012-06-18, 19:40
I use the whoopie slings and tree straps but I stayed with the figure 9's. To me it is easier plus I would drop and lose all of those small things Dutch is making

That's true. I'd probably lose them as well... I'm more into "simple & easy". So carabiners, fig9s, & 550 cord do me just fine. I will however, look into getting me some of them whoopie slings... I like the idea of fine tuning my lay adjustments... These slap straps just don't do it for me... you only get "set" positions... And after the two weeks I've had this thing, and the different trees I have tested it on, I have needed the space in between the suspension loops quite a few times...

Needless to say I drilled a hole in my shed and hung my hammock from there to a tree... Worked out quite nicely.

SGT Rock
2012-06-18, 20:27
There is something good to be said about simple and easy. I'm going to try re-doing my tarp lines like Gredemeer's when my string gets here. If it works out I'll share, otherwise I don't want to screw anyone up.

JDBaughman
2012-06-22, 00:19
There is something good to be said about simple and easy. I'm going to try re-doing my tarp lines like Gredemeer's when my string gets here. If it works out I'll share, otherwise I don't want to screw anyone up.

Did your string come in? I'm interested to know what this Technique or whatever is, Gredemeer's...?

SGT Rock
2012-06-22, 10:13
I just checked the delivery status of the delivery, apparently it is on a slow boat from China, and I'm not kidding about that. I didn't know when I ordered it on e-bay it was coming from freakin' China. So it might be a while, last status had it processed through Shanghai on China Post.

I didn't get any pictures, but basically he uses separate lines for each end of his tarp ridge line, but he connects the ridge line to the tarp with a prussic so it adjusts just like a CRL without needing to actually have the area of the hammock covered. And on the end of each of those lines he has added a Ti Dutch hook so that he doesn't even need to tie a knot to hook a ridge-line around the tree, just hook and go. That was cool enough for me, but then he did something similar for the side tie outs too. So each tie out already has a loop tied in the end for going around the stake, and the prussic is attached at the tarp end again. The benefit of this I didn't see when I heard of this system before, but this last weekend it was obvious when seeing it in person: if you are under the tarp in the rain and you see that a line needs to have tension changed, you can do it from under the tarp without needing to get out and get wet.

SGT Rock
2012-06-22, 11:49
The tarp ridge-line starts on minute 1:18 on this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Apdv2w8a7JQ
And the side guy lines start at about 1:50

Like I said, I had seen this before, but not tried it. But this weekend the lightbulb finally came on.

Hog On Ice
2012-06-22, 12:43
glad to see that I am not the last to switch to the whoopie hooks instead of the 'biner - did you mention the hook to the individual showing this suspension?

personally I think that he has too much adjustability on the suspension - use a tree strap with loops on both ends and just loop the fixed eye of the whoopie sling to the end loop of the strap - also I think 6 foot straps are a bit too long for general use but that depends on the area being hiked - I use a 4 foot strap and if needed I have a bit of extra line that i can use for a large tree to close the loop with the strap - I figure a big tree will have heavy bark so using a line to close the loop is not damaging the tree even though it may leave a mark on the bark

I kinda liked the tarp lines that he used - I might go that way in the future - currently I use something with similar adjustability but his approach is better. My current approach is to loop the tarp lines through the attachment point and then form a taut line hitch back on itself.

SGT Rock
2012-06-22, 15:01
I've not met that guy, I was looking for a picture or video that showed the tarp lines and this one happened to have it. I honestly didn't pay attention to the rest of the video. I love the whoopie hooks ;)

I've been just doing a marlin spike hitch for the stakes for years. If you don't get it right your options are to go out and re-do the hitch or move the stake. I like the idea that you can add more tension later from under the tarp. I also have been trying the CRL for a while but have never been happy with it but I keep hoping I'll find something that I am happy with. I like the adjustability but think the initial set up of the ridge is more trouble than it is worth. It looks like this system may solve that.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-06-29, 12:54
This is my ridge line. I like it cause it's fast to set up. Already tied together, adjustable, & ready to go:

Wow that's a bit too complicated for this tiny reptilian mind. I use the 5mm Nite-Ize Adjustable Bungee cords for my tarp ridgeline to attach directly to the tree straps or biners. Use the same to stake out all four corners. A bit heavy but work like a charm and are simple to adjust. On a motorcycle BTW on the trail the 4 corner ones would be left home and replaced with cord.

firemedic
2012-06-29, 14:20
You can go the same route as I did, I ordered some amsteel and made my own whoopie slings, continous loops and a few soft shackles. as far as cost the amsteel was .28 ft. the soft shackles I used 2 ft of amsteel each, for a wooping caost of .56 cents each, I saw soft shackles on ebay made out of the same for 13.00 + a pop. Just as I got everything square with my ENO sn, I ended up ordering a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double. Cant wait for it to get here.

JDBaughman
2012-06-30, 00:15
Wow that's a bit too complicated for this tiny reptilian mind. I use the 5mm Nite-Ize Adjustable Bungee cords for my tarp ridgeline to attach directly to the tree straps or biners. Use the same to stake out all four corners. A bit heavy but work like a charm and are simple to adjust. On a motorcycle BTW on the trail the 4 corner ones would be left home and replaced with cord.

I actually just learned how to tie a modified Adjustable Prusik knot using 1 line instead of separate cord... So, my lines are gonna get six sigma'd

Roche
2012-06-30, 09:38
First get comfortable setting up your rig. Then you tweak it to less is more. Then you tweak it again and again and again. After you achieve perfection you get bored and try something new, or old, or both. Yes, we're all hammock tweakers.

JDBaughman
2012-06-30, 13:18
I already know how I like my rig to lay. I'm looking at better ways to tie it off other than using a ton of carabiners. So what I was doing at first, was using 550 cord as the guyouts and then using separate cords to tie Prusik knots to them... Now, I'm looking at just tieing modified prusik knots using the one single 550 cord. As for the ridgeline, I now have attached Prusik knots to it, on both ends of the fly so that I can adjust the fly, keep it taught, and keep it from shifting. Also, with the Prusik knots on the guy outs, I can adjust them without ever leaving the shelter of the fly if it happens to be raining... Eventually, I wanna get the JRB self tensioning guy lines, but until then, I think this way will be ok. Plus I have had a tarp up for the past 3 weeks to test my line strength (el cheap-o tarp from Wally world) and honestly, I have only really needed to adjust the tension about once every 2-3 days... Which I don't think is bad IMO...

SGT Rock
2012-06-30, 15:39
Derek made an illustration to show what I am doing. I've had the tarp out for a few hours using Zpacks Z-Line spectra cord for all the tie outs and 200lb test fishing line for the prussiks. \http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tarp-sgt-rock-style1.jpg

Roche
2012-06-30, 16:16
Pitch the tarp ridge line slightly above the hammock suspension lines. I'd need to pack a step stool.

Bearpaw
2012-06-30, 22:08
Pitch the tarp ridge line slightly above the hammock suspension lines. I'd need to pack a step stool.

I pretty have the tarp touching the hammock ridge line, because once I get in the hammock and my weight pulls out any slack, I am well below the tarp.

Roche
2012-07-01, 09:32
I pretty have the tarp touching the hammock ridge line, because once I get in the hammock and my weight pulls out any slack, I am well below the tarp.And here I thought you and Dewey pack weights just to pump iron - they do multiple tasks. Thanks for the tip.

Gary
2012-07-02, 00:06
Thanks for the picture Rock. I'll try that on the tarp this weekend and see how it works.

SGT Rock
2012-07-02, 08:50
Glad I could help. Derek does great illustrations.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

sierrasteve
2013-06-11, 21:41
I sent my ENO Rainfly back and went to OES.com for the MacCat tarp. Much Much lighter, it does cost a little more though, but not carrying that extra weight is worth every penny!

Don't forget to trade in your ENO Suspension and Straps for a Whoopie Sling to save a bunch more weight and room.

Good Luck

Hog On Ice
2013-06-12, 08:37
interesting - I didn't know Brian of OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com was back in business - in reading his status info it would appear he is having some medical issues but is in process of upgrading his business with better tracking etc. Unfortunately it looks like he is only doing silnylon tarps test days so for really light tarps (cuben) one needs to go elsewhere.

Ewker
2013-06-12, 12:45
HOI, based on reports off the site that shall not be named OES isn't in business. Brian hasn't responded to emails, post on his site or phone calls. It is buyer beware with him right now

Vthiker77
2013-06-26, 10:02
New around here but just wanted to chime in. With whoopie slings and Dutch buckles and straps, everything fits right in the attached stuff sack.

Elder
2013-06-26, 10:46
HOI, et el.
I work with Etowah Gear, Chef Paul.
www.etowahoutfitters.com
P.U, silnylon and cuben, tarps, pack covers, rain wraps etc. and his Etowah 2 stove.

Hog On Ice
2013-06-26, 10:52
what has he got for cuben tarps?

SGT Rock
2013-06-26, 13:37
Is Paul working with cuben yet?

Elder
2013-06-26, 23:34
Yes He has cuben. It may not be up on his web page.

SGT Rock
2013-06-27, 00:18
Cool. I can't wait to see what he is doing with it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 2

Panhandle461
2013-07-02, 00:06
Tagged