PDA

View Full Version : Section hike from springer to us 64

joedperk
2012-06-17, 02:01
Ok guys... hope to be first time hiker on the BMT starting last two weeks of August... I would like to do the section from Springer Mountain to US 64 which is around 92 miles... retired so no time constraints.. have three goals in mind... getting into better shape and enjoying the hiking and camping... having hiked neither the AT or BMT ... chose the BMT for the more laid back hike.. not a speed demon so 5 to 10 miles seem ok with me... any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated... if I have understood all the comments the trail is fairly well marked in this section... but would like to brush up on my gps and mapping skills... I did purchase SGT Rocks guide.. hopefully my wife can pick me up in ducktown tn when I complete hike....please feel free to comment..

generoll
2012-06-17, 09:42
I've only hiked small sections of that trail and Rocks guide will provide all the detail you might need. The only thing I would mention is that the BMT crosses US64 in the Ocoee gorge at Thunderock Campground. I'm not sure about cell phone coverage there so you might want to call from somewhere along the ridgeline past the top of Big Frog where you can see hwy 64 as it heads into Ducktown. By then you should have a pretty good idea how long it will take you to get to Thunderock campground.

Superman
2012-06-17, 09:50
I've only hiked small sections of that trail and Rocks guide will provide all the detail you might need. The only thing I would mention is that the BMT crosses US64 in the Ocoee gorge at Thunderock Campground. I'm not sure about cell phone coverage there so you might want to call from somewhere along the ridgeline past the top of Big Frog where you can see hwy 64 as it heads into Ducktown. By then you should have a pretty good idea how long it will take you to get to Thunderock campground.

Yes, you're right. Cell phone reception was difficult from the campground out to the road. The first year I had no cell reception but got a ride to town by one of the campers. The next year Gordon stood on something next to the road and got enough of a signal for the motel guy to come get us.

Kanga
2012-06-17, 10:21
I did that section over a few weekends this past fall. It's in really good shape. You will have to watch your water in some stretches if it stops raining. Iirc, there were 2 places where I didn't find water for 6-8 miles. Did you get rock's newest book? It has several more coordinates listed than the last one. And he only lied about water once.

chumpchange
2012-06-17, 13:34
i hope to do watson's or dally gap to hwy 64 in the fall.

verizon has a cell tower on top of Fairview up above Greasy Creek.

joedperk
2012-06-17, 15:29
Gosh thanks guys ... good info... and yes have Rocks guide... need to get a good map of hike... and thanks on the heads up about water... my big 4 will be around 6 lbs... hoping to come under 25 lbs total... but having trouble deciding what clothes I will need... really looking forward to the camping and maybe some opportunities to fish just a little... like I said ... this will be a laid back hike.. no speed records for me... hopefully lose some weight and be ready for the complete loop of the BMT.. once again thanks for the insight... it is appreciated...

Bearpaw
2012-06-18, 12:12
If you can't get a cell signal at all, you can walk the mile or so up to the Ocoee Whitewater Center and use a land line there.

Be aware that the BMT is built narrow and brush will likely be an issue in some areas. I'd recommend hiking in long pants much of the time to fend off briars, ticks, and poison ivy.

You can get a good resupply in Blue Ridge, about halfway up your section. Just be sure to have a decent map. The National Geographic Springer adn Cohutta Mountain map (#777) covers the route all the way to the TN state line. The Nat Geo Tellico and Ocoee Rivers mkap (#781)covers from where the BMT crosses US 76 into Blue Ridge all the way to the Smokies. You could use use the 777 map up to Blue Ridge and pick up 781 in a mail drop and use it the rest of the way.

Be sure to have a decent map in the Big Frog Wilderness area. There are no blazes, and while there are signs, bears and/or locals sometimes damage these. A compass and the know-how to use it is also helpful in these areas.

Best of luck!