PDA

View Full Version : Cable Ties

illininagel
2003-01-09, 20:40
A few years ago, some screws from my external pack came loose and fell somewhere on the trail. Fortunately, I was able to fix it enough to keep the pack on my back until I reached the trailhead. Later, someone told me that it's a good idea to carry those little plastic cable ties for just such an emergency. They are very strong and light.

Thought I would pass that tip along to anyone that might find it useful.

smokymtnsteve
2003-01-09, 20:59
I had a pack strap break loose between davenport gap and hot springs ..in 2001,,sure was glad I had a needle and thread..some strong thread,,,sewed my strap back on and was going to have it "fixed " in Hot springs but when i got there it looked fine..so I keep going ..finished my hike at damascus that year and the strap was still holding on!

cable ties sounds good!!extra weight not much... but could a small length of your bear rope do the same jobs???

Hog On Ice
2003-01-10, 08:29
wrt using bear rope for tying things back together like a cable tie could be used - yes I think this is definately possible if you use a constrictor knot tied so that the crossing part is pressing the knot part against something solid - this way the knot will hold very well. If you are not familiar with the knot run "constrictor knot" through google and you will find several sites that describe it.