PDA

View Full Version : Carbon felt windscreens ?

Hog On Ice
2012-07-11, 09:35
anyone have any experience using carbon felt as a windscreen in an alcohol stove setup? how tight do you put it around the pot? is the air flow through the felt good enough for the burner or is there a need for some holes punched in the felt?

Skidsteer
2012-07-11, 09:49
Rock used to use one IIRC.

SGT Rock
2012-07-11, 14:52
I used one for years. I used it as my windscreen and pot cozy.

1. It is going to be heavier than a foil windscreen.

2. It will not get enough air flow through the felt. You will have to provide air flow by either making holes or doing what I did and just place a few sticks and/or rocks around the perimeter.

3. It does ever so slowly burn off some of the material over time. So if it weighs 1.25 ounces when you make it, it will eventually end up at 1.15 or so by the end of a year. I never kept up with exactly how much it burned off.

4. Getting it to stick to something isn't easy. I never found a good way to permanently mount it to a pot.

5. Sewing the ends together is also not easy. The best solution I found was something like wire used for hanging pictures. I also found if the loops didn't gather enough materials for the bite that the wire could work its way through over time.

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head.