PDA

View Full Version : Henry Thoreau, pioneer champion of New England Mountains

Weary
2012-07-12, 14:52
Henry Thoreau, who spent his short life as a champion of the woods and mountains of the Northeast, was born on this day 150 or so years ago. Henry was an avid walker, and wrote some of the great essays of the 19th Century. His message: If you follow your dreams, you'll be rewarded beyond your wildest expectations. It worked for me and a lot of thru hikers.

Lugnut
2012-07-12, 15:10
My favorite author. It would have been interesting to have a conversation with him even as strange as he apparently was. We'll have to ask Superman since they were aquaintances.

saimyoji
2012-07-12, 15:36
If he was alive today, HDT would definitely carry a cell phone....

Lone Wolf
2012-07-12, 15:49
i can't read his shit

Ray
2012-07-12, 16:01
HDT wrote something about hoeing beans in his garden and I often think about it and try to remember what he said when I'm doing the same. I can't remember what he wrote but each time I resolve to look up when I get back inside. Haven't done it yet though because what he wrote probably isn't as profound as what I almost remember.

Crikey
2012-07-12, 16:27
I was determined to know beans

Hog On Ice
2012-07-12, 16:29
Know Schitt

sheepdog
2012-07-12, 21:25
I was determined to know beans

If the weather is bad you get no beans.

Weary
2012-07-12, 23:26
My favorite author. It would have been interesting to have a conversation with him even as strange as he apparently was. We'll have to ask Superman since they were aquaintances.
I knew him well. Henry was not strange. He just marched to different drummers. He also knew about what it means when you find a trout in your milk.

It's been reported that "The Maine Woods is one of the most coniferous-pungent books in the English language, a book which remains one of the best written on the woods of Maine." John Muir took a copy on a trip to Alaska.

mudhead
2012-07-13, 10:24
The best part of that book is when he gets his sorry mass saved by a wahoop.

You have to admit John Muir marched to a different cadence too.

Weary
2012-07-13, 11:52
The best part of that book is when he gets his sorry mass saved by a wahoop.

You have to admit John Muir marched to a different cadence too.
Henry's best observation was:
"If one advances confidentially in the direction of ones dreams and endeavors to live the life one imagines, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours."

Crikey
2012-07-13, 12:05
"Henry Thoreau, who spent his short life as a champion of the woods and mountains of the Northeast"

Doesn't compare to Nadal, or Federer. Woods is in the discussion, in part because of name association. Fur suthernurs, Jimmie Johson is da man!

Let's not get started with the Yankees.

mudhead
2012-07-13, 14:32
Cale Yarborough. Jimmie who?

Cuffs
2012-07-13, 14:40
Dick Trickle.

D'Artagnan
2012-07-13, 14:55
I think it could be said some of the posts on here are "scatalogically-pungent" from time to time.

Crikey
2012-07-13, 14:55
Cale Yarborough. Jimmie who?

http://motorsportsunplugged.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fight.jpg

Weary
2012-07-13, 15:38
http://motorsportsunplugged.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/fight.jpg
I think you're mistaken, Sherrill. Those guys don't look like they have ever read a book, right alone written one -- or ever seen a mountain or a forest. They do look like they might fit in nicely with some on hikinghq, however.

Skidsteer
2012-07-13, 15:46
I like the helmets.

Crikey
2012-07-13, 15:47
I think you're mistaken, Sherrill. Those guys don't look like they have ever read a book, right alone written one -- or ever seen a mountain or a forest. They do look like they might fit in nicely with some on hikinghq, however.

I guarantee you, Weary, they've seen the Talladega mountains.

MonkeyBoy
2012-07-13, 15:53
What are these "mountains" of which you speak????

Cuffs
2012-07-13, 16:18

Im going to make an assumption based on how Ive seen you do it. You dont look like a guy who's ever seen a vagina.
Get a life and quit judging people, asshat.

Roche
2012-07-13, 17:13
im going to make an assumption based on how ive seen you do it. You dont look like a guy who's ever seen a vagina.
Get a life and quit judging people, asshat.Ha,ha,ha!

mudhead
2012-07-13, 18:23
I like the helmets.

Converse All Stars?

Lone Wolf
2012-07-13, 21:35
he was a good writer and all but was a packsniffer so to speak in his time. a little pond in the woods near town. BFD

sheepdog
2012-07-13, 21:46
He never got his picture on bubble gum cards. Can't be too great of a person.

D'Artagnan
2012-07-13, 23:07
Im going to make an assumption based on how Ive seen you do it. You dont look like a guy who's ever seen a vagina.

I think I'm in love. ;-)

Weary
2012-07-14, 00:03
Thoreau spent two years in a camp he built on a pond near his home on land owned by a friend. He wrote a couple of books, and multiple essays, which tell about a lifetime of exploring the woods and fields in Concord and excursions to nearby mountains and rivers, and north to the Whites, and Maine.

Most are still useful and are being read, probably more than almost any other things written in the first half of the 19th century, which makes his life indeed a pretty big deal. I attended a lecture last month by a photographer who has published a book of photos showing many of the places mentioned by Henry in his three essays about the Maine woods. So many people showed up that it filled the hall to standing room only.

Weary
2012-07-14, 00:19
Based on the stupid babble you post on this site, it's my assumption that you're a foolish, ignorant, blowhard and jerk.

saimyoji
2012-07-14, 00:24
you're just sayin that cause she hikes with a cell phone....

Skidsteer
2012-07-14, 01:11

OK. Now that was funny.

rcli4
2012-07-14, 08:35
Thoreau spent two years in a camp he built on a pond near his home on land owned by a friend. He wrote a couple of books, and multiple essays, which tell about a lifetime of exploring the woods and fields in Concord and excursions to nearby mountains and rivers, and north to the Whites, and Maine.

Most are still useful and are being read, probably more than almost any other things written in the first half of the 19th century, which makes his life indeed a pretty big deal. I attended a lecture last month by a photographer who has published a book of photos showing many of the places mentioned by Henry in his three essays about the Maine woods. So many people showed up that it filled the hall to standing room only.

You have got to be kidding me. He was a free loading lightweight. The sign of a good writer is readability. His writting sucks. You can not possibly put him in the same league as Brontė or Dickens. Your supposed to be the writer on this list. I expected you to know much more about this subject then most....

Roche
2012-07-14, 09:39

Based on the stupid babble you post on this site, it's my assumption that you're a foolish, ignorant, blowhard and jerk.

Can't we all just get along? I hope not.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-07-14, 13:22

Nicely put...a great example of leftie smarmy (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smarmy) attitude! Wish all us NASCAR types could be a smart as you...doomed to redneckdom it seems. :adore:

Redneckdom, is that a werd perfesser?

Ray
2012-07-14, 13:33
Everyone knows NASCAR has no connection to the Appalachian mountains. Nope none at all.

Nearly Normal
2012-07-14, 13:43
Good ole Hank.

sheepdog
2012-07-14, 13:58
I've been up the creek and over the mountain. I've seen the vagina.

saimyoji
2012-07-14, 14:20
I've been up the creek and over the mountain. I've seen the vagina.

sheep dont count....

Lugnut
2012-07-14, 14:26
Hank, you wouldn't know it today.
It's all built up, the loon,s gone away.
There are freeways and cars, things unknown before.
There's a beer can laying where once stood tou door.

There are tourists now in your Eden of west.
They've cut all the trees; or at least all the best.
Where once your gentle woodchuck roamed
Is a parking lot with lights and phones.

The smoke in from Boston is bad on some days.
It's all built up, the loon's gone away.

sheepdog
2012-07-14, 14:47
sheep dont count....

since when??

Nearly Normal
2012-07-14, 14:57
Horse piss.

MonkeyBoy
2012-07-14, 17:57
since when??

Since they have no fingers....

woodsy
2012-07-14, 19:37
Pretty sad some of you tear down an old man of the trail over a man, his books and essays he enjoyed and thought worthwhile to mention.

Superman
2012-07-14, 20:29
Pretty sad some of you tear down and old man of the trail over books and essays he enjoyed and thought worthwhile to mention.

Hi Woodsy

woodsy
2012-07-14, 21:34
Hi Woodsy

Hi Superman

chumpchange
2012-07-19, 19:56
Since they have no fingers....

baaaaaaaa.

cool breeze
2012-07-19, 21:08
Hi? Ya'll smokin dope.

rcli4
2012-07-19, 21:34
Hi? Ya'll smokin dope.

Yes, why do you ask?

cool breeze
2012-07-19, 21:37
Yes, why do you ask?

I'm jelous. And drunkin.

john pickett
2012-07-21, 18:10
"Redneckdom, is that a werd perfesser?"
Only in Tennessee and Georgia (maybe in Alabama)