PDA

View Full Version : straps and 'spension

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 02:01
I was looking at getting a set of JRB Amsteel Blue Whoopies... But then I started researching some more and I found the Kammock Pythons... Now I'm really big into simplicity (in certain areas) when it comes to setting up my hanger so these pythons are really appealing to me... mainly because they don't stretch and are daisy chain loops which does away with having seperate straps and suspension...

What is your preference on straps and 'spension? Give me some feedback on different brands qualities and such. These fuckin slap straps are pissing me off. I put them for sale on Craigslist for $10. If people are smart, they WON'T buy them!!!

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 09:49
BIAS suspension kit? (good deal...?)
http://www.buttinasling.com/bisusy.html

Hog On Ice
2012-07-20, 12:06
I've seen worse but its nothing I would use these days

I guess the real question is whether you are OK with making your own stuff out of Amsteel or if you are light weight then Dynaglide?

what I would suggest is to have a short loop of Amsteel attached to the ends of the hammock
this short loop is then hooked to the suspension using a whoopie hook which also acts as a water diverter
the whoopie hook is either acting as the bead on a whoopie sling or is in the eye of an UCR (these days I would recommend a UCR if you are OK with making your own stuff)
the length of the whoopie sling or UCR does not need to be more than 6 feet and can be less
the fixed eye of the whoopie sling or the other eye of a UCR is tied onto a loop in the end of the tree strap
the tree strap can be any 1 inch wide light weight strap that can hold 1000 pounds - for a long time I used Strapworks light weight seat belt webbing because they would sew the loops in the ends - these days I'll use either tie down straps cut from the hardwear or the light weight webbing from Arrowhead Equipment and sew one loop into each end of the strap - the straps I use most often are 4 ft in length after sewing the loops

note the above applies to eastern US forests and may not apply if dealing with big trees in the west

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 12:15
I've heard before that Slapstraps suck. The BIAS system is very similar to what I used for about a year except I used UCRs instead of Whoopies. Really easy and light.

I went one simpler and moved to UCRs/Straps permanently connected and whoopie hooks, and a little pig tail to connect to the hammock, and I love it. My straps are about 4.5' long and the UCRs are about 6' long if I remember correctly. I can hang up to about 25' gaps (depending on the trees) but prefer shorter, and with the system I've been able to get down to about 10' gaps. To save my butt when I have longer hangs or bigger trees I made a couple of strap extenders from dynaglide.

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 12:17
I don't want to have to tie knots from the straps to the suspension lines if at all possible... I really like the idea of the pythons... But if I got some whoopies, I'd still want to use 'biners on them to connect to the straps... So I'm kinda at a brick wall right now... I cannot stress how much I hate these slap straps!!!

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 12:22
To compensate for waking up in the dirt, I have to hang my hammock so high that I literally have to prop up on my tip toes to get in it... It's ridiculous... And I bought mine from Nazi Creek Outfitters, so they wouldn't take them back... after even 1 use to realize they suck epic balls

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 12:23
I just watched the python strap video, I wouldn't want to use those because there is no in-between adjustment when setting the length, you have to pick one of the loops. I'd rather have something you can adjust like a WS, UCR or straps & ring/buckle.

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 12:28
I don't want to have to tie knots from the straps to the suspension lines if at all possible... I really like the idea of the pythons... But if I got some whoopies, I'd still want to use 'biners on them to connect to the straps... So I'm kinda at a brick wall right now... I cannot stress how much I hate these slap straps!!!

You ought to check out Dutchware woopie hook suspension. I reverse some of the set up myself, but that is the sort of thing that could work well for you:

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/whoopie-hooks/

http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/whoopie-hooks-illustration.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwhvd5ibR4

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 12:31
*EDIT* I posted this before seeing your reply...

Well the thing about the pythons is that they are stacked loop after loop. Not spaced out like the eno straps 12" apart or whatever. Whereas the pythons are like every 4" or so.

But I really would like to go the whoopie route... But I dunno about straps, Because I'm not sure what will secure the strap to the tree... Do you feed the strap through the loop at 1 end of itself and hook the suspension to the other end of the strap that is pulled through it? Cause that's how the slap straps and pythons work...?

...or do you use something like a Dutch clip to hold the straps taut to the tree?

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 12:35
You loop the strap back through itself. There is a loop on the end to feed it through like the python straps. You can also get something like the Dutch clip to avoid even doing that:
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/dutch-clips/

Personally I prefer just looping the straps through but some people want something even easier.

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 12:39
So what brand would you recommend, For straps and whoopies, Keeping in mind that I would like straps that I could use universally whether here in the east,or let's say, in oregon...?

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 12:47
Well I really do not like the straps that come with that set. I prefer to make my own straps, but I don't know what your sewing skills are. But if you can sew with a machine in a straight line, I would go with that option first. After that just about any strap is one you can use as long as it doesn't stretch. If you already have a set you can use that. You can then larks head the WS with the hook to your strap and the ring to your hammock.

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 12:54
I don't think my wife's sewing machine can handle sewing through thick materials... She makes a lot of quilts and things... But I dunno if hers will handle those heavier materials.... I would like to make my own gear; talk about saving money for sure! but, right now, I dunno if that's an option... I might look at some tow straps from HF...

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 13:03
It doesn't take that thick a strap to work. I get mine from ratchet straps like this one: http://www.lowes.com/pd_221791-37340-4R2S10G_0__?productId=1061477&Ntt=ratchet+strap&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

My wife's machine is a standard Singer, nothing special.

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 13:13
I was always under the impression that you had to use heavy duty needles and machines to see that kind of fabric... Shows how little I know

SGT Rock
2012-07-20, 13:15
That is why we are here. There are manufacturers that make you think you need stuff rated to hold up bridges. The real answer is you can make all this yourself except maybe fabricating the Ti hooks. I personally love doing the splicing stuff myself too. Once you learn how it is as addicting as making stoves.

JDBaughman
2012-07-20, 15:09
That is why we are here. There are manufacturers that make you think you need stuff rated to hold up bridges. The real answer is you can make all this yourself except maybe fabricating the Ti hooks. I personally love doing the splicing stuff myself too. Once you learn how it is as addicting as making stoves.

...lol yea, I can honestly say that making stoves is addicting... I just made a pot Stand for my stoves... Out of a mason jar lid and a clothes hanger

cool breeze
2012-07-20, 15:14
1/4 inch hardware cloth.

JDBaughman
2012-07-26, 01:13
I got my whoopies in today. As soon as I tore the package open I was threading them through my hammock. I went to harbor freight and got some 6' 1600lbs ratchet straps as well. They aren't long enough to my liking though... I need either 8' or 12'...

I'm already thoroughly pleased with these whoopie slings...

Anyone use a marlin spike hitch with their set up? What about instead of using a toggle, you use a carbiner...? anyone tried that?

SGT Rock
2012-07-26, 02:30
I've done the spike hitch and the caribeeners. I liked the spike hitch for simplicity.

Hog On Ice
2012-07-26, 08:26
just remember when using the MSH to hang the WS on the strap part of the MSH and not on the toggle

that said I have used a mini biner as a toggle in a MSH cause I didn't like the way the WS would tend to fall off the MSH when adjusting the length of the WS

Livx
2012-07-26, 08:34
I am planning on ordering a hennessy hammock this weekend(been saving my overtime pay to get one). After reading this thread I am wondering, will the straps/suspension that come with the hennessy be sufficient? or will they sag? especially when wet. I will be using it in 2 weeks when me and a friend will be doing an overnight hike from springer mtn. to skeenah gap.

Hog On Ice
2012-07-26, 08:45
Hennessy uses a spectra rope with tree straps - the rope part won't stretch so the hammock will sag only a little overnight - I used that setup for a couple years with no real problems with respect to sag. The tarp on the other hand I replaced because I could never get it taut when I set it up Hennessy way where it attaches to the hammock suspension ropes - it would always sag when I got into the hammock. Best approach if using the Hennessy tarp is to run a separate line between the trees and to hang the tarp from that line - that way the tarp won't be affected by the sag of the hammock when you get into the hammock. If using prussiks on the separate line like what Hennessy has on the hammock support lines it becomes fairly easy to get the tarp placed when you what it.

Livx
2012-07-26, 09:53
sounds good, I am pretty excited about trying it out.

JDBaughman
2012-07-26, 10:15
Livx, do you have your eye on a specific hammock by HH?

Livx
2012-07-26, 10:46
The expedition asym classic is the one I was planning on getting. http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock. Do you have any thoughts on which would be the best hammock for the price?

JDBaughman
2012-07-26, 11:37
The expedition asym classic is the one I was planning on getting. http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/#hammock. Do you have any thoughts on which would be the best hammock for the price?

Ehhh you don't want to know my opinion on paying for hammocks! I will say this though, I bought the hennessy hexfly tarp for my hammock and I am thoroughly pleased with it. It comes in a sort of ASYM shape as well, that is supposed to go with that hammock your thinking about getting... That's why I asked, you should look into it. I'm pretty sure the tarp your hammocks comes with is pretty minimal... I have only seen them though... Never used one... however, kelty makes a tarp alled the Noah, and it's is very nice for the price. The 12'x12' is the preferred size and everyone has nothing but good things to say about it... My ultimate opinion in buying hammocks though, is to mix match... Don't get a "everything included" set...

JDBaughman
2012-07-26, 11:43
Both go for about the same price... The kelty is a few $$$ cheaper...

I am sort of a noob to hammock camping... but I think I have picked up a lot of knowledge from these guys here and also from hammock forums...

Livx
2012-07-26, 12:16
cool, thanks for the info. I am completely ignorant about hammock camping. I just know that the older I get the harder the ground gets....so I thought I would go with a hammock.

JDBaughman
2012-07-26, 12:23
Yea, me personally, I gave into peer pressure... And bought one... Now I can't get enough... I need like a hammock shot just to get my fix for the day