PDA

View Full Version : camping in smokies

wishbone
2012-07-27, 13:45
let me propose a hypothetical=you are hiking on a side trail in smokies and you can't make to a designated campsite for whatever reason.What are the chances of getting caught and if so what would be the usual fine?

SGT Rock
2012-07-27, 14:25
let me propose a hypothetical=you are hiking on a side trail in smokies and you can't make to a designated campsite for whatever reason.What are the chances of getting caught and if so what would be the usual fine?

Almost zero chance of getting caught. I think the fine is about $50.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hog On Ice
2012-07-27, 14:31
more like $100 if I had to guess but I agree next to zero chance of getting caught especially if you don't have a fire and are careful to get off trail and out of sight

Tin Man
2012-07-27, 14:44
When I stealth in an area that I am not sure is legal, I do so at the end of the daylight hours so I can say I ran out of daylight and didn't want to get lost. And I break camp early the next day.

SGT Rock
2012-07-27, 14:48
Exactly. You are more likely to get caught by some other hiker who may or may not be an ass about it. A guy I use to work with had a situation where he couldn't make it to his campsite by night so holed up on the side of the trail. The next morning when he was packing up, some woman came up on him and gave him a long lecture about how evil he was, and followed him up the trail continuing her rant. I've had an occasion where I couldn't make my camp and made sure I was far out of sight before I set up - no fires.

This spring when I was doing campsite clean up I had to dismantle an illegal campsite with fire ring on the Lakeshore Trail, right beside the trail and a water source.

JERMM
2012-07-27, 15:53
Exactly. You are more likely to get caught by some other hiker who may or may not be an ass about it. A guy I use to work with had a situation where he couldn't make it to his campsite by night so holed up on the side of the trail. The next morning when he was packing up, some woman came up on him and gave him a long lecture about how evil he was, and followed him up the trail continuing her rant. I've had an occasion where I couldn't make my camp and made sure I was far out of sight before I set up - no fires.

This spring when I was doing campsite clean up I had to dismantle an illegal campsite with fire ring on the Lakeshore Trail, right beside the trail and a water source.

LOL it must have been her daughter that jumped on her soapbox over me using DEET on my section hike in VT a couple of weeks ago

I was taking a break one afternoon when a 20-something female backpacker walks up and noticed the bottle of Ben’s 100 DEET in the side mesh pocket of my pack. She quickly jumped on top of her soapbox and began to preach at me the horrible things DEET will do to skin and long term effects it can…I quickly interrupted saying I wasn’t using it on my skin (flat out lie) I was using as part of my water treatment, double dose of AquaMira and a cap full of DEET will kill anything in the water including the run off from beaver ponds (another un-truth) look at my legs there’s not one single bug bite (true) so that makes DEET a double use item. She had that “OMG” look on her face and hiked on. Later I saw her in one of the camps, I placed the bottle of DEET next to my water bottle on the table…she kept her distance

Skidsteer
2012-07-27, 16:07
Hahahahaha!

SGT Rock
2012-07-27, 16:42
Sweet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

sheepdog
2012-07-27, 16:51
LOL it must have been her daughter that jumped on her soapbox over me using DEET on my section hike in VT a couple of weeks ago

I was taking a break one afternoon when a 20-something female backpacker walks up and noticed the bottle of Ben’s 100 DEET in the side mesh pocket of my pack. She quickly jumped on top of her soapbox and began to preach at me the horrible things DEET will do to skin and long term effects it can…I quickly interrupted saying I wasn’t using it on my skin (flat out lie) I was using as part of my water treatment, double dose of AquaMira and a cap full of DEET will kill anything in the water including the run off from beaver ponds (another un-truth) look at my legs there’s not one single bug bite (true) so that makes DEET a double use item. She had that “OMG” look on her face and hiked on. Later I saw her in one of the camps, I placed the bottle of DEET next to my water bottle on the table…she kept her distance

:laugh::laugh:

Superman
2012-07-27, 17:33

What a great story.

Big Mac
2012-07-27, 19:52
Jermm, you are a genius.

Roots
2012-07-27, 21:02

Did she sleep with a knife in her hand?

JERMM
2012-07-27, 21:19
Did she sleep with a knife in her hand?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

i was thinking about that guy not long ago...that was one of those you had to be there moments/nights...classic

Crikey
2012-07-27, 23:08

Yeah, imagine the look on her face if you took a swig from the DEET!

Uhm, well, never mind...

:biggrin: