PDA

View Full Version : bear sonar

wishbone
2012-07-31, 09:17
i have had problems with my neighor's dog barking.so i purchased a device that puts out .a high frequency sound only heard by the dog.the sound carries to 75 feet.problem solved. no more barking.my point is == could this be used at the campsite for bears.i know bears don't bark but the point is the dog won't even come in range of the sound so maybe bears wouldn't either--device is also very light weight.so any ideas?

Cuffs
2012-07-31, 09:36
I had to use a similar device a few years ago. The only problem I see us that no sound is emitted until a bark is received. it's not a continual emission. Therefore the bear must make alot of loud noise for it to be effective.

MonkeyBoy
2012-07-31, 10:18
Bears don't bark.

MonkeyBoy
2012-07-31, 10:18
However, it would probably be tripped off frequently near a shelter shaker.

JERMM
2012-07-31, 10:21
Wishbone where is it that you want to go that has you so concerned with bears? Maybe we can offer better advise once we know.

wishbone
2012-07-31, 10:51
i am not so concerned as curious.however, if you had bears come on your porch at night after they have jumped over the railing===well it is a little nerve rattling.i do most of my hiking in the cohuttas since it near the house .seen bear my last two times out.you may want to know that problem bears are transported to the cohuttas since is it a wildness area

chumpchange
2012-07-31, 11:06
my uncle's wildlife cam caught this guy back at the end of May, in my blackberry patch.

if my eyes don't deceive me there's a tag hole in his right ear which leads me to think maybe he was dropped off after being rounded up.

Nearly Normal
2012-07-31, 11:21
my uncle's wildlife cam caught this guy back at the end of May, in my blackberry patch.

if my eyes don't deceive me there's a tag hole in his right ear which leads me to think maybe he was dropped off after being rounded up.

I little bacon rind and rock salt would straighten his ass out.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-07-31, 12:55
I little bacon rind and rock salt would straighten his ass out.

Maybe even substitute the rock salt for a good marinate then dry rub seasoning and fire up the BBQ for anything that was not turned into sausage? ;)

Nearby are many ranchers and generally here a bunch of my folk (rednecks). The bears are very polite and tend to keep away from people...they learn well (behavior mod 30 06).

chumpchange
2012-07-31, 13:12
sampled some bear meat a couple of years ago done up in a roast. didn't really care for it.

SGT Rock
2012-07-31, 13:31
I've heard it ain't that good.

chumpchange
2012-07-31, 13:59
so what should wishbone do if he should encounter a bear?

i hike primarily the same area he does--cohuttas.

Hog On Ice
2012-07-31, 14:06
bear meat is ok in a gumbo - in any case it must be cooked well done to kill the trichinosis parasites

JERMM
2012-07-31, 14:14
you made me google are you happy now

Nearly Normal
2012-07-31, 14:22
so what should wishbone do if he should encounter a bear?

i hike primarily the same area he does--cohuttas.

Fumble out your camera and say SHIT as his backside disappears before you get a picture.

Crikey
2012-07-31, 14:29
How about a Cherry Luck Bear Sonar? He's trying to sing in English.

http://youtu.be/9GpDMZjQDAQ

Big Mac
2012-07-31, 18:06
Fumble out your camera and say SHIT as his backside disappears before you get a picture.

'zackly

Kanga
2012-07-31, 18:49
bear meat sucks moosecock.

wishbone
2012-07-31, 19:38
old chump you see my concern .there ain't no bears in la [ lower alabama=i perfer the name south alabama]where were we come from==all we know is what comprises a seven course meal ==a possum and a six pack.

Cuffs
2012-07-31, 19:52
I beg your pardon? There ARE black bears in Alabama, and even more so in LOWER Alabama.

Tin Man
2012-07-31, 20:10
I always camp with someone who can't run as fast as me.

saimyoji
2012-07-31, 22:51
bear meat sucks moosecock.

got some experience with that do ya?

MonkeyBoy
2012-08-01, 00:12
I've found that smearing bacon grease all over your hiking partner works really well.

The bears don't bother me.

sheepdog
2012-08-01, 06:14

that is my usual response.
I have bears in my yard most every spring. They eat the suckers that are spawning in the creek and then eat all the bird feeders in the neighbor hood. So far they have not ate my honey bees. (good ole electric fence)
I've had good bear and bad bear. Depends on how it's handled after the kill an how it's cooked. Smoked is my favorite. I've had some good bear stew also.
Only place I've seen real scary bears is GSMNP. They are too tame there.

chumpchange
2012-08-01, 10:23
Only place I've seen real scary bears is GSMNP. They are too tame there.

that's the issue. those problematic(parking lot) bears are rounded up and dumped out down here in the Cherokee and Chattahoochee NF. not only have they lost their fear of man but now add the desperation of being in a strange place within another bear's territory...

CaSteve
2012-08-02, 01:50
I've used these while backpacking in Alaska with success: http://www.smarthome.com/6110/Amtek-Critter-Gitter/p.aspx

JERMM
2012-08-02, 20:10
http://www.backpacker.com/ask_a_bear_ultrasonic_noise_repel/survival/15508

Q: Do ultrasonic, high-pitch noises repel bears similar to the way the new high-pitch noise makers repel dogs? —Frank V., Somerville, MA; via email

A: Are you saying I'm the same thing as a dog? Why, I'm insulted...even though I do love the delicious, delicious food you give them.

But on to your question: There is some evidence that high-pitched, ultrasonic sounds could repel me in certain cases. I can hear in the ultrasonic range of 16-20 kilohertz, and possibly even higher.

A test conducted with polar bears in the 70s found that ultrasonic frequencies fine-tuned and blasted over large speakers repelled me about 69 percent of the time from a testing perimeter that contained food. Those are pretty decent results, but the scientists who conducted the tests caution that positioning of the speakers, timing, and precise sound amplitude are significant factors. For these reasons, it's unlikely that a ultrasonic dog repeller would work on me.

They were primarily testing ultrasonic bear deterrents for use around permanent sites like oil-drilling stations in the Arctic. The equipment you'd need to lug around is impractical for any hiking or backpacking purpose. Also, testing on grizzly and black bears was limited, though based on biology, the results might be similar. Bear guru Stephen Herrero concedes that an ultrasonic bear repellent is worthy of further study and testing.

Another caveat: Of the testing pool of 74 bears, 51 were strongly repelled, but eight bears exhibited no response, and 15 polar bears actually chose to investigate the source of the sound. So while it might serve as a deterrent, in some cases it can be an attractant, too. Sorry for the confusion—it's just my wildly curious nature.

—BEAR

MonkeyBoy
2012-08-03, 01:34
I beg your pardon? There ARE black bears in Alabama, and even more so in LOWER Alabama.

Heck....there's black bear all over florida.

They just don't get near as big, but we have them.

SGT Rock
2012-08-03, 04:14
Interesting. You have gotta wonder if you can prove a negative. Sort of like filters and such. Someone can say how great their filter is at protecting them, since they hiked the entire AT and never got sick once. And then someone else can reply they never treated their water while hiking the entire AT and never got sick either. So the real question is did the filter actually do anything if there was never any threat to begin with. Same thing with the sonar in Alaska.

I still carry a cross and have never been bitten by a vampire. It must work. ;)

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-08-03, 11:49
I still carry a cross and have never been bitten by a vampire. It must work. ;)

No garlic!? You have just been fortunate not to have been fanged...:bird:

Gould
2012-08-31, 04:38
I don't think this device will work for bears... unless you made them roar really loud :)

firemedic
2012-09-02, 09:36
I bought one of those ultrasonic bark stoppers
It lasted about 3 hrs, my Jack Russell went nuts she would not stop barking at it

When we were not looking she killed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk