PDA

View Full Version : west highland way

wishbone
2012-08-04, 08:12
anyone familar with the west highland trail in Scotland.=94 miles=check out youtube.great.

Lugnut
2012-08-04, 09:20
Standby... Big Mac will be with you shortly.

Big Mac
2012-08-04, 09:55
Yep - Big Mac is here. I hiked the WHW in June. It was a great time. Not your normal backpacking trip like here in the states, although you could do it that way, carrying a shelter and camping and all. I think you would get eaten alive by the, however. It's a great hike, village to village, staying at the Inns along the way. Beautiful country. Here is my own youtube contribution -

d14dfHwrLGo

Big Mac
2012-08-04, 09:56
PM me if you have any specific questions about the trip.

JERMM
2012-08-04, 10:17
Nice video BM!

is the trail restricted to foot traffic or are bikes allowed?

did you see a monster in any of the lochs?

sheepdog
2012-08-04, 10:21
can I drive my ATV down it?

JERMM
2012-08-04, 10:22

as long as you don't get caught

Big Mac
2012-08-04, 12:55
Nice video BM!

is the trail restricted to foot traffic or are bikes allowed?

did you see a monster in any of the lochs?

We saw bikes occasionally, but no monsters.

Big Mac
2012-08-04, 12:56

Hell no

Big Mac
2012-08-04, 12:56
as long as you don't get caught

Or run into Big Mac.

sheepdog
2012-08-04, 12:57
Or run over Big Mac.

fixed it for ye lad.

sheepdog
2012-08-04, 13:00
Or run into Big Mac.

you may take away my life but you will never take away my Yamaha Griz-lleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

Hog On Ice
2012-08-04, 13:12
is the hump in its back where you stick it when filling up?

wishbone
2012-08-04, 14:56
thanks Big mac for the video.my wife and i are seriously considering doing the trail next year.what is the best guidebook;and which was the most difficult section?i saw you did the trail in june-best time or not

Big Mac
2012-08-04, 17:39
thanks Big mac for the video.my wife and i are seriously considering doing the trail next year.what is the best guidebook;and which was the most difficult section?i saw you did the trail in june-best time or not

This is the guidebook we used - has some good information in it.

http://www.amazon.com/West-Highland-Way-4th-large-scale/dp/1905864299/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344112444&sr=8-1&keywords=west+highland+way

I'm not sure when the best time to go is - June was good for us, but there are a couple events on the trail in June you have to watch out for unless you don't mind sharing the way with a lot of people. The guidebook fills you in on all of that. What you really have to watch out for are midges. Pesty little insects, although they weren't unbearable when we were there. I can see where they would be if you were camping.

Superman
2012-08-04, 17:54
http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/

Nearly Normal
2012-08-04, 18:03
http://www.riverbum.com/Dry-Midges/

mudhead
2012-08-04, 21:16
I call those minges or noseeums. NN I know you have them down there. East side of Lady's Island has plenty. Hot little bastids that will make you dance.

Superman
2012-08-04, 21:31
I call those minges or noseeums. NN I know you have them down there. East side of Lady's Island has plenty. Hot little bastids that will make you dance.

I thought they sounded like black flies.

Nearly Normal
2012-08-04, 21:39

All these Sea Islands is ate up with them.
Actually it's Lady Island, it's like Neel Gap thataway.
The nearby ACE Basin includes 3 tidal rivers. The Combee, Ashepoo, and Edisto. Depending on which bridge you cross The Combee is the Combahee or Combia or marked thataway.
The insect you referr to is especially active in the spring and is known here commonly as sand fleas, sand gnats, white gnats, or them fucking gnats that set yo ass on fire.
When you been to we side yankee boy?...and what are you referring to east side.

Lugnut
2012-08-04, 22:23
Maybe he meant they side. :albertein

sheepdog
2012-08-04, 22:35
http://youtu.be/OwrvHnYpwkk
OwrvHnYpwkk

Nearly Normal
2012-08-04, 23:22
Maybe he meant they side. :albertein

:beer:

mudhead
2012-08-05, 11:12
More than likely coosaw island is what I am remembering. Fripp Harbor and about a helena bunch more. Had to look on a map. I think locals called them sand gnats, but it doesn't matter what they are called, they are nasty.

Wasn't there a bar on one of those main drags called the Frog? Used as a landmark, too. Take a right at the frog...

Just cuz a yankee boy is kickin' on his home turf doesn't mean he ain't peed on sand.:)

cool breeze
2012-08-05, 18:07
Here we call them flying teeth.

Nearly Normal
2012-08-05, 18:51
More than likely coosaw island is what I am remembering. Fripp Harbor and about a helena bunch more. Had to look on a map. I think locals called them sand gnats, but it doesn't matter what they are called, they are nasty.

Wasn't there a bar on one of those main drags called the Frog? Used as a landmark, too. Take a right at the frog...

Just cuz a yankee boy is kickin' on his home turf doesn't mean he ain't peed on sand.:)

http://thefoolishfrog.com/

It used to be in Frogmore. Our esteemed gated snow bird community on Datha (pronouced Dawta) Island didn't like the address and had it changed to St Helena.
The concrete frog outside the post office there was traditionally stolen every Sat night and returned on Mon. I believe the practice of this has ceased. Kids today!
Turning right at Frogmore will take you down Lands End Rd where beneath the "hanging tree" one parks and waits for the "light".
http://www.sciway.net/hist/lands-end-light-st-helena-island.html

Ray
2012-08-05, 19:46
That Frogmore light sounds like the same one near my hometown. (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=5507543)

Back to the Highland Way: I heard you'll get a free beer at any pub near there if you'll stand up and sing a really loud version of "God Save the Queen". They love that song there and you already know the melody.

Hog On Ice
2012-08-05, 20:01
and that is why one should not disparage the juggler's art - they're sneaky bastards and the next thing you know you'll be in the middle of a Mills Mess

Skidsteer
2012-08-05, 20:15
Back to the Highland Way: I heard you'll get a free beer at any pub near there if you'll stand up and sing a really loud version of "God Save the Queen". They love that song there and you already know the melody.

Yeah cool, I'll try that right after I tell that joke about McGregor the fence builder.

saimyoji
2012-08-05, 20:17
Yeah cool, I'll try that right after I tell that joke about McGregor the fence builder.

Is that like the one about the MacDonald's and they're quarter pounders?

Hog On Ice
2012-08-05, 20:22
you mean the McGregor who used to ahhhh herd goats?

sheepdog
2012-08-05, 20:26

"Lad, look out there to the field. Do ye see that fence? Look how well it's built. I built that fence stone by stone with me own two hands. Piled it for months. But do they call me MacGregor-the-Fence-Builder? Nooo..." blurts the old man.

Then the old man gestured at the bar.

"Look here at the bar. Do ye see how smooth and just it is? I planed that surface down with me own achin' back. I carved that wood with me own hard labor for eight days. But do they call me MacGregor-the-Bar-builder? Nooo..." claims the old man.

Then the old man points out the window. "Eh, Laddy, look out to sea. Do ye see that pier that stretches out as far as the eye can see? I built that pier with the sweat off me back. I nailed it board by board. But do they call me MacGregor-the-Pier-Builder? Nooo..." says the old man.

Then the old man looks around nervously, making sure no one is paying attention. "But ye screw one goat..."

Skidsteer
2012-08-05, 20:27
you mean the McGregor who used to ahhhh herd goats?

This Scottish farmer walks into the neighborhood pub, and orders a whiskey.

"Ye see that fence over there?" he says to the bartender. "Ah built it with me own two hands! Dug up the holes with me shovel, chopped doon the trees for the posts by me ownself, laid every last rail! But do they call me 'McGregor the Fence-Builder?' No..."

He gulps down the whiskey and orders another. "Ye see that pier on the loch?" He continues, "Ah built it me ownself, too. Swam oot into the loch to lay the foondations, laid doon every single board! But do they call me 'McGregor the Pier-Builder?' No."

"But ye fuck ONE sheep ..."

sheepdog
2012-08-05, 20:30
hahahahahaha beat you

Skidsteer
2012-08-05, 20:35
hahahahahaha beat you

:biggrin:

I like your version better.

Big Mac
2012-08-05, 21:24
Fuckin' McGregor's can't be trusted. The MacLeans battled them for years. We don't like anyone messin' with our goats.

sheepdog
2012-08-05, 21:27
Fuckin' McGregor's can't be trusted. The MacLeans battled them for years. We don't like anyone messin' with our goats.

I'll bet you kept the pretty ones in the barn.

saimyoji
2012-08-05, 23:10
Soooo.... an american girl walks into a bar in Glasgow. Goes up to the bartender and orders a pint. Asks if there's a McDonald's around. Barkeep says "Probably, but you'll have to check for yerself." American girl asks how she could do that. Barkeep says, "well, you could ask." So she goes around asking. All the men she asks say they are MacDonalds. She goes back to the barkeep and says, "They're all McDonalds. But I want a quarter pounder, not a man." Barkeep replies, "Go ask again, and this time reach under their kilts when you ask. If he's got a quarter pounder, he's sure to be a MacDonald"

mudhead
2012-08-06, 19:23
http://thefoolishfrog.com/

It used to be in Frogmore. Our esteemed gated snow bird community on Datha (pronouced Dawta) Island didn't like the address and had it changed to St Helena.
The concrete frog outside the post office there was traditionally stolen every Sat night and returned on Mon. I believe the practice of this has ceased. Kids today!
Turning right at Frogmore will take you down Lands End Rd where beneath the "hanging tree" one parks and waits for the "light".
http://www.sciway.net/hist/lands-end-light-st-helena-island.html

Radio tower down there at the end, or am I on a different island again. Dataw, was an open gate during daylight back then. People were nice enough, but they did seem hoity.

Figures they would move there becuz they like it, then try to change it. Garden gaters I call them. Got plenty here.
That area would be cool spot to be a pirate way back when. Once you learned all the twists of the river. If you could.

I don't think I would enjoy being there during a storm surge.

Nearly Normal
2012-08-06, 20:46
Radio tower down there at the end, or am I on a different island again. Dataw, was an open gate during daylight back then. People were nice enough, but they did seem hoity.

Figures they would move there becuz they like it, then try to change it. Garden gaters I call them. Got plenty here.
That area would be cool spot to be a pirate way back when. Once you learned all the twists of the river. If you could.

I don't think I would enjoy being there during a storm surge.

Lots of Pirates here including Blackbeard used the area.
It has always been a smugglers haven.
Operation Jackpot caused an awlful lot of press. They had everyone in the bag....even if you just "forgot" to lock a gate, they knew it.

wishbone
2012-08-07, 00:14
Is Ireland very similiar in terrian to scotland/ and why was the the british so sucessful against the irish and not the scottish?history buffs this is for you=i don't want no redneck answers

Big Mac
2012-08-07, 00:20
How do you measure success? Ireland is now an independent country (except Northern Ireland), and Scotland is actually part of the United Kingdom.

I've never been to Ireland, but I understand the terrain is very similar.

saimyoji
2012-08-07, 01:36
i don't want no redneck answers

hold my beer...i'll show ya...

Hog On Ice
2012-08-07, 07:57
hey hey hey - don't be getting your Irish up