PDA

View Full Version : BMT walk Sept. 6th

joedperk
2012-08-22, 22:44
I would like you guys to check out my pack... right now 30lbs need to drop a few pounds... but not sure hiking in Sept.. in mountains what clothes I will need.. also need to bring my misc... down some .. your help would be appreciated... you are welcome to pound on me... planning on 3 drops .. might cut back to two.. 1st shallowford bridge... 37.2 .. 2nd (possible cut this one out) blue ridge..49.2 .. then Watson gap..72.0 ... finish up at ducktown tn...

Pack ULA Circuit....39oz
Tent Lightheart SoLong 6 27oz
Stoic Down Sleeping Bag 30... 30 oz
Sleeping Pad Klymet 9.1 oz

Misc.
Black Diamond hiking poles
First Aid Kit
Map
BMT Trail Guide (Sgt. Rocks)
Headlamp BD Icon
Small multiple use knife
Bear Bag Kit
Iphone GPS (2extra Batt and Charger)
Sawyer Squeeze
2 liter platypus hydration
Stove (Jet Boil) Cozy and spork
Fuel 8oz
Lighter & Matches
Bug Spray
Hand Sanitizer
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Toilet Paper
Medicine for 14 days
Compass (?)
Pack Cover (?)
Poncho (covers pack also)
Dry Ducks light weight... (should I drop poncho and go with dry ducks for extra layer of clothing) ?

Ok here is where I need help (not that I don't on the others) not sure of weather I can look for..

Clothes

2 Button up shirts (just what I like to wear)
1 pants with zip off bottom
1 short
2 pair wool socks
2 inner socks (?)
1 fleece pull over with hoodie (mid-weight)
1 midweight water proof jacket
1 lightweight fleece thermal top and bottom
1 fleece hat ...
1 dew rag

Comments and Suggestions most welcome... this is my first mountain hike and will be the longest hike I have attempted... I have plenty of time... Retired... a little out of shape... but ready to get in shape... been walking with 30lb pack 10 miles a day on treadmill at 10 degrees incline...

Skidsteer
2012-08-22, 22:54
It's sorta hard to tell how all that adds up to 30 lbs since you don't list weights for everything and you don't say anything about food and water.

Your big four look pretty good and you should be able to keep your total weight for 3-4 days below 25 lbs with that base weight. Do you carry a large quantity of food or water?

Skidsteer
2012-08-22, 22:55
Also, you've got Dri-ducks, poncho, and a waterproof jacket?

joedperk
2012-08-22, 23:02
The Jacket was for cooler temps.. just threw in it was water proof... my question was on dri ducks vs poncho...which to take.. poncho being lighter but dri ducks would incorporate in a layer system... im starting out with 5 days of food which weighed about 6.6 lbs.. had planned on carrying 2 liters of water... I guess on the clothes is how cold can I expect it to get..

chumpchange
2012-08-22, 23:57
i wouldn't think it would drop below 50 F during the 1st half of Sept, maybe on top of Big Frog...

Kanga
2012-08-23, 09:01
I would like you guys to check out my pack... right now 30lbs need to drop a few pounds... but not sure hiking in Sept.. in mountains what clothes I will need.. also need to bring my misc... down some .. your help would be appreciated... you are welcome to pound on me... planning on 3 drops .. might cut back to two.. 1st shallowford bridge... 37.2 .. 2nd (possible cut this one out) blue ridge..49.2 .. then Watson gap..72.0 ... finish up at ducktown tn...

Pack ULA Circuit....39oz
Sleeping Pad Klymet 9.1 oz

Misc.
First Aid Kit
Map
BMT Trail Guide (Sgt. Rocks)
Headlamp BD Icon
Small multiple use knife
Bear Bag Kit
Iphone GPS (2extra Batt and Charger)
Sawyer Squeeze
2 liter platypus hydration
Fuel 8oz
Lighter & Matches
Bug Spray
Hand Sanitizer
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste
Toilet Paper
Medicine for 14 days
Compass (?)
Pack Cover (?)
Poncho (covers pack also)
Dry Ducks light weight... (should I drop poncho and go with dry ducks for extra layer of clothing) ?

Ok here is where I need help (not that I don't on the others) not sure of weather I can look for..

Clothes

2 Button up shirts (just what I like to wear)
1 short
2 pair wool socks
2 inner socks (?)
1 midweight water proof jacket
1 lightweight fleece thermal top and bottom
1 fleece hat ...
1 dew rag

Comments and Suggestions most welcome... this is my first mountain hike and will be the longest hike I have attempted... I have plenty of time... Retired... a little out of shape... but ready to get in shape... been walking with 30lb pack 10 miles a day on treadmill at 10 degrees incline...

= no

you're looking at mid-to-low 50's at night, 70-80's during the day. lose the extra weight with the clothes. if it gets cold, use lightweight thermals plus maybe your dry ducks. if you're still cold, use your sleeping bag. there are also some stretches where you can get away with carrying 1 L of water. check your map and rock's guide. 25 lbs is just about right for the hike you're doing. i would NOT get rid of the rain gear in favor of just a poncho because wet and cold at 50* can lead to hypothermia.

JERMM
2012-08-23, 09:06

Pack ULA Circuit....39oz
Sleeping Pad Klymet 9.1 oz you do know this pad needs to go on the inside of you sleeping bag for best performance right

Misc.
First Aid Kit- keep it simple, my solo kit weighs less than 2oz and that includes a few things for equipment repair
Map
BMT Trail Guide (Sgt. Rocks) map and guide book pick one
Headlamp BD Icon- put in fresh batteries at the start of your trip
Small multiple use knife
Bear Bag Kit
Iphone GPS (2extra Batt and Charger) your only out for 3-4 days, you shouldn't need 2 need extra batteries and certainly not a charger
Sawyer Squeeze are you taking at least one of the bladders that came with the squeeze, I've heard the Squeeze doesn't exactly fit the Platy bladder w/o using a gasket to prevent leaks
2 liter platypus hydration is this for using with a drink tube or just camp use, if camp use then use the 2L Squeeze bladder instead
Fuel 8oz
Lighter & Matches
Bug Spray
Hand Sanitizer
Tooth Brush
Tooth Paste take only a small amount
Toilet Paper, take only a small amount unless you're Minny Smith
Medicine for 14 days- I thought you were only out for 3-4 days, why so much, carry 14 days
Compass (?)
Pack Cover (?) instead use a trash compactor bag inside your pack your stuff will remain dry
Poncho (covers pack also) ponchos catch on branches along the trail, also if it windy the bottom blows around leave it at home
Dry Ducks light weight... (should I drop poncho and go with dry ducks for extra layer of clothing) ? Yes

Clothes

2 Button up shirts (just what I like to wear) you only need one
1 short don;t need shorts if you're taking zip off pants
2 pair wool socks
2 inner socks (?) is this sock liners, one pair should be enough for 3-4 days
1 midweight water proof jacket too much rain gear pick one jacket with hook and one pants, leave the rest at home
1 lightweight fleece thermal top and bottom, is this for sleeping in? if so leave the thermal top at home you're already taking a fleece jacket, you can sleep in it if needed
1 fleece hat ...
1 dew rag

you didn't mention all the stuff sacks you'll be carrying, are you taking a camera, book, what about extra gear not listed, electronics and what if items, a lot of people don't list them, they all add weight fast, you may be one of the few who doesn't carry this, congrats if you don't

finally good luck and enjoy your hike

joedperk
2012-08-23, 19:26
Ok guys thanks for the suggestions... I will be out for more than 4 days... planning on 7-10 mile days and if I find something interesting might stop for a day... my camera will be my iphone.. will I need extra pair of shoes for stream crossing.. have some that weight 1lb... have re-weighed pack and now down to 22.1 .without water... I think I can manage my water to keep it down to 25 pounds.. Thanks for the ideas and help... they seem to have got me back in my comfort zone.... ohhh going to drop map and keep Sgt. Rocks guide... with that an GPS and trail markers I shouldn't end up in Canada...

have dropped

bug spray
hand sanitizer
poncho
mid-weight jacket
extra batteries for Icon... Kept iPhone extra batteries as the gps tends to eat the power..
1 pair of sock liners
Shorts
fleece thermal top

Skidsteer
2012-08-23, 19:29
Do not drop the map. Just my opinion.

chumpchange
2012-08-23, 19:38
just a suggestion: go to a dollar store and pick up a pair of cheap sandals(unless you already have a pair) and a small dog collar. run the collar through your bottom loops and keep the sandals on the collar when you're not using them to cross water.
make sure to get a pair that will stay on your feet though...

Cuffs
2012-08-23, 19:54
Is the hand sanitizer tiny? What are you cleaning up with after you take a dump? Unless you can hold it the whole trip... But sooner or later you're going to have to eat with those dirty hands.

chumpchange
2012-08-23, 20:01
Is the hand sanitizer tiny? What are you cleaning up with after you take a dump? Unless you can hold it the whole trip... But sooner or later you're going to have to eat with those dirty hands.

he can find a low-hanging branch to hang from for that.

Kanga
2012-08-23, 20:07
do not drop the map. going out without a map and the knowledge to use it is irresponsible imo.

Kanga
2012-08-23, 20:09

listen, now. you get dirty in the woods and it's okay. but if you can't take a shit without getting it on your hands, then you're retarded and hand sanitizer ain't gonna help. just sayin'.

joedperk
2012-08-23, 20:13
yup either I need camp soap or some sanitizer.. too old to hang from branches... point made on map... and im going to be trying out Sgt Rocks gps tracks.. Sometimes I get confused about how well trail is marked... just depends on what I read.. some says its poor and some say it marked well... I guess I will find out for sure...

Skidsteer
2012-08-23, 20:18
yup either I need camp soap or some sanitizer.. too old to hang from branches... point made on map... and im going to be trying out Sgt Rocks gps tracks.. Sometimes I get confused about how well trail is marked... just depends on what I read.. some says its poor and some say it marked well... I guess I will find out for sure...

It's marked well in some sections and not at all in others. You need a map.

Superman
2012-08-23, 20:22

Both are right. The first time it didn't seem well maked in places but when I did it again it was just fine.
I have only carried soap one in a liguid, plastic bottle. The bottle broke in my pack and it was a mess. I've never carried soap agn but I poo every day but I don't play in it.

Kanga
2012-08-23, 21:05
It's marked well in some sections and not at all in others. You need a map.

and a girl to read it for you..

Skidsteer
2012-08-23, 21:18

I'm not seeing the down side.

Hog On Ice
2012-08-23, 21:45

it varies with whether the area one is hiking through is designated Wilderness or not - marking of trail in the big W areas is not as thorough as in other areas - in the Smokies the trail is only marked at trail intersections

saimyoji
2012-08-23, 22:43

sounds good to me. you might even get her to carry the TP and hand sanitizer...then you wouldn't need to carry either....

joedperk
2012-08-23, 22:53
Gosh being new the BMT... does these girls hang from limbs... hmmm I knew I should look up more... couple of them and the hike might be short....

Superman
2012-08-23, 23:03
Gosh being new the BMT... does these girls hang from limbs... hmmm I knew I should look up more... couple of them and the hike might be short....

Yes, finding one hanging from a tree should be easy on the BMT.:angel:

saimyoji
2012-08-23, 23:17

m_mDTLphIVY

Amigi
2012-08-25, 15:23
So, youre retarded if you like hand sanitizer and dont wanna be a filthy pig? You must be one of those people that uses the restroom in a restuarant and doesnt wash their hands. Please, dont have kids. If you do, give them up for adoption.

joedperk
2012-08-25, 20:53
One more quick question... if Isacc which it seems will come through 1st part of next week... how long will it take the creeks to go down if it drops a bunch of rain... hoping the winds will be less a factor on trail ... hopefully wont have to climb over many trees... but was worried about the creeks...

Nearly Normal
2012-08-25, 21:57
...where I'm I?

Kanga
2012-08-25, 22:08
So, youre retarded if you like hand sanitizer and dont wanna be a filthy pig? You must be one of those people that uses the restroom in a restuarant and doesnt wash their hands. Please, dont have kids. If you do, give them up for adoption.

Yes. You've nailed it, Einstein!
Actually, I'm an OCD freak that tries not to ever use public restrooms. Ever.
Also, I know how to wipe my ass without getting shit all over myself. Ymmv, though. By all means, if it's common for you to soil yourself, take some hand sanitizer. And make sure you abort all your babies while you're at it.

Cuffs
2012-08-25, 22:27
Also, I know how to wipe my ass without getting shit all over myself. Ymmv, though. By all means, if it's common for you to soil yourself, take some hand sanitizer. And make sure you abort all your babies while you're at it.

So he's sayin you called me retarded for wantin hand sanitizer? How dare you! I'm ashamed to call you want I want to call you. I'm too much a lady to say it! So! So! Oh hell I dunno.

Nearly Normal
2012-08-25, 23:55
horse piss.

Nearly Normal
2012-08-26, 00:13

Superman
2012-08-26, 08:42

Those shelter privvies can be down right nasty. Not many of them on the BMT though. I shat in the woods...with the bears.:angel:

southmark
2012-08-26, 09:33
We were taught growing up how to not piss or shit on our hands. Also there are more germs on a person's face than there are on their ass.

JERMM
2012-08-26, 09:33
Those shelter privvies can be down right nasty. Not many of them on the BMT though. I shat in the woods...with the bears.:angel:

as you should

JDBaughman
2012-08-27, 01:06
Ok I wanted to comment on this because a good friend of mine just got out of the navy and moved to Chattanooga to go to school at UTC. He doesn't start school until January and I don't start school until September 23rd. We sat down today and discussed hiking the BMT before I start school. Would you be interested in the two of us joining you? Or maybe meeting up out there?

I <3 (. Y .)

chumpchange
2012-08-27, 02:13
We were taught growing up how to not piss or shit on our hands. Also there are more germs on a person's face than there are on their ass.

yeah but we're talkin' shit germs. if you have them on your face, you got bigger problems than dirty hands.

chumpchange
2012-08-27, 02:14
Ok I wanted to comment on this because a good friend of mine just got out of the navy and moved to Chattanooga to go to school at UTC. He doesn't start school until January and I don't start school until September 23rd. We sat down today and discussed hiking the BMT before I start school. Would you be interested in the two of us joining you? Or maybe meeting up out there?

I <3 (. Y .)

take him up on it. he can carry your water.

chumpchange
2012-08-27, 02:15
...where I'm I?

horse piss.

sorry, did you say something?

JDBaughman
2012-08-27, 13:23
take him up on it. he can carry your water.

Haha!

Yes, but not really! I'll be hiking with a filter this time... We are still looking over the maps, might actually be hiking the BMT/AT Loop... But I'm not sure... We're trying to figure out how we are gonna get back to Chattanooga

I <3 (. Y .)

JDBaughman
2012-08-28, 02:14
Never mind, check that... LMSHTF, so of course, my BMT trip is postponed...

I <3 (. Y .)