PDA

View Full Version : wood stoves

tramp
2012-08-31, 22:41
Anyone useing home made wood stove ? If so what cans did you use to make it? Post pix if posable. Tks all.

Elder
2012-09-01, 00:12
google Nimblewill Nomads stove. Zenwerks I believe will provide the plans.

JERMM
2012-09-01, 09:33
check on youtube.com for a variety of home made wood stove options

just a note, can size will depend on what kind of wood stove you want

tramp
2012-09-01, 14:18
Yea. Kinda small and packable. Some are just too big. Tks all

Hog On Ice
2012-09-01, 14:26
the Nimblewill Nomad stove in Ti is a good choice for light weight - if my hands worked better I would probably use that one but ...

SGT Rock
2012-09-06, 23:22
the Nimblewill Nomad stove in Ti is a good choice for light weight - if my hands worked better I would probably use that one but ...

I agree with HOI on that. Nice stove. I think the new Element Stove over at Dutchware looks like a good one, but no tries on it yet: http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/element-woodburning-stove/

Ewker
2012-09-07, 11:46
check out the Emberlit stove. He offers it in stainless steel and 2 sizes in Titanium.
I have the Emberlit-UL and it has worked great

http://www.emberlit.com/buy.php

SGT Rock
2012-09-07, 12:27
The main issue I see with these stoves is you really do want a bigger area for making the fire in, bigger is better for building an maintaining a fire, but smaller is better for weight and space. When HOI let me play with his Vargo and Nimbilwill Nomad stoves, the Nomade was the better stove by far, and I think it was the size that mattered.

Jim Henderson
2012-09-07, 13:53
You might check out small manufacturers of things like health and beauty products, soups, chemicals etc. Also garages that do auto work or oil change chops.

Many of them have steel drums that are sometimes difficult/expensive to get rid of. These drums are usually pretty thick guage and rugged.

Many of our chemicals come in steel drums, plastic ones too(good for rain barrels?). Typical drum sizes are 55gallon and something like a 15 gallon size. Also we often have small drums between say 1 gallon and 5 gallons that are quite heavy guage steel. With an assortment of these you could build almost any sort of wood stove or BBQ or Smoker you like. For example you might use a 55g and 15g for one of those typical Big box hardware store smokers with the big drum as the smoker and small drum as fire box.

The 55 gallon is the typical drum you see in Texas Barbecues or big wood stove etc. The 15 gallon size would be quite handy for a small cabin stove.

Most of these manufacturers would be delighted for someone to take away their old empties.

The gotchas are...

1) Be sure you know what the contents were and whether they are dangerous. The manufacturer will have an MSDS that will tell you this info.

2) Unless the drum has had a pesticide or petroleum product, you are probably safe once you burn out the drum, or wash with detergent. Regular oil will burn out just fine as many Texan BBQr's will tell you.

3) If you plan to cut with a high speed saw, ie sparks, you should at least fill the drum with water for awhile to make sure any fumes are forced out.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson