PDA

View Full Version : Trail Concoctions

Hog On Ice
2012-09-14, 13:35
a thread dedicated to those accidental food combinations that work and which came about on the trail due to general bursts of creativity or by accident

this first concoction was the result of me taking the wrong corn chips on the trail - I had meant to take the Fritos Scoops but ended up with the Fritos Original - the scoops work well for peanut butter ahhh scooping but the original corn chips didn't work as well - anyways I also had packed some flour tortillas so I tried making a peanut butter and corn chip burrito - I spread the peanut butter on a tortilla then sprinkled the corn chips on the peanut then folded it and ate it like a burrito - this actually tasted rather good with a good crunchy texture plus the saltyness of the corn chips was toned down by the peanut butter.

JERMM
2012-09-14, 17:54
i dehydrate refried black beans then run them through the coffee grinder set to medium, this way they hydrate much faster and evenly then put the RBB's on a tortilla, add hot sauce, well this summer I added too much water to the bag of RBB's it was like soup...no way was it gone to work on the tortilla so I tore the tortilla into bite size pieces added it and a pack of hot sauce and some crumbled fritos to the bag of RBB's and ate with a spoon...worked out well, less messy and really tasty

Skidsteer
2012-09-14, 17:56
I've done the same thing. Good stuff.

Skidsteer
2012-09-14, 17:57
I thought about adding potato flakes to it but lost my nerve.

Tin Man
2012-09-14, 18:27
I thought about adding potato flakes to it but lost my nerve.

good move. such a high risk activity and all.

Hog On Ice
2012-09-14, 18:28
I always have some instant potatoes available for just such problems - anytime the meal is too soupy I toss in the instant potatoes to suck up the extra water - works great unless I add too much

Bearpaw
2012-09-14, 18:56
Scored a half a pack of club crackers at one of the two hiker feeds I ran into on my thru-hike. Next night, I cooked some ramen for dinner and added too much water. Decided to thicken it with the crackers and it really changed the flavor of the meal, for the better.

Superman
2012-09-14, 22:36
I didn't have a measuring cup on my thru hike. Every meal was too soupy or too dry. I'm such a bad trail cook it didn't bother me. I was bad at making c-rat concoctions in Vietnam also. I just anti'd up my cs and got my share back from the real trail cooks. My radio was my life back then.

TexasDreamer
2012-10-04, 14:52
It works ok. Rehydrated refried bean burritos (with a stick of string cheese and Taco Bell packet) is my standard first day out meal, and I've accidentally poured too much water on more than one occasion. Throwing in some mashed potato flakes doesn't wreck the taste, as long as it's only a little.

MonkeyBoy
2012-10-04, 15:28
mix mashed potatoes half and half with Stove Top, add a can of chicken, raisins, sprinkle with powdered chicken gravy, parmesan cheese and bacon bits.

Kanga
2012-10-04, 15:31
a thing of stuffing, 1/2 a packet of white gravy, and a packet of spicy tuna tastes like crab cakes. i brown them on my pot lid.

sheepdog
2012-10-04, 19:28
now that sounds good.

J5man
2012-10-04, 21:48
I think Huddle House has that on their menu with a side of soggy hashbrowns...

MonkeyBoy
2012-10-04, 23:48
And fried pickles.

sheepdog
2012-10-05, 08:11
with no dippin sauce....that might have went bad after a week on the counter.

firemedic
2012-10-30, 16:16
Scored a half a pack of club crackers at one of the two hiker feeds I ran into on my thru-hike. Next night, I cooked some ramen for dinner and added too much water. Decided to thicken it with the crackers and it really changed the flavor of the meal, for the better.

We will do this, add a few uncooked eggs. And leftover meat from the night before.

Ramen rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk