PDA

View Full Version : Observations from the Trail

Tin Man
2012-09-23, 10:12
1. Some thru-hikers sure are crybabies.

2. Pick your tree carefully when pooping. 'nuff said

3. Talk to section hikers on the trail. Never know when you may need a ride at a crossing with heavy rain projected for the night.

4. Hotels rock during a heavy rain.

5. Golf is an excellent way to spend a zero day.

6. When asked where you are headed, just point. Throws off the thru-hikers who assume a trail name like Bartender (my bro) means free beverages.

7. Mahoosuc Notch is fun. Bonus laughs when we had to wait for a crybaby thru-hiker to quit crying and move on. More cry babies further north.

8. Pancakes for breakfast on a mountaintop is the way to go. Makes the thru-hikers cry some more.

9. Slack packing is in high style in the Mahossucs among thru-hikers. We tried it last two days and liked it.

10. Western Maine is awesome!!

Bearpaw
2012-09-23, 11:45
The Mahoosucs were a contest to see how many hikers they could hurt. Mahoosuc Notch was fine, maybe even kind of fun. Everybody knew what was coming and was ready for it. It was the straight up and straight down open slabs of granite in the 20-some miles after it that hurt. They must have built the switchbacks they were promising since then.

How was Old Blue Mountain?

BTW, the Bigelows in central Maine were my favorite part of the entire thru-hike. Gorgeous.

sheepdog
2012-09-23, 12:27
Trip report???? PIcs????

Tin Man
2012-09-23, 12:29
There were some switchbacks, but other places still go straight up, most notably Mahoosuc Arm...interesting climb.

Didn't make it to Old Blue. Lost a day due to rain and golf. :-) Maybe next Sept.

woodsy
2012-09-23, 19:51

The Mahoosucs were a contest to see how many hikers they could hurt. Mahoosuc Notch was fine, maybe even kind of fun. Everybody knew what was coming and was ready for it. It was the straight up and straight down open slabs of granite in the 20-some miles after it that hurt. They must have built the switchbacks they were promising since then.

BTW, the Bigelows in central Maine were my favorite part of the entire thru-hike. Gorgeous.

True, The bigs rock.... i mean they are rock, , yeah, big rock pile.

woodsy
2012-09-23, 20:12

2. Pick your tree carefully when pooping. 'nuff said

3. Talk to section hikers on the trail. Never know when you may need a ride at a crossing with heavy rain projected for the night.

4. Hotels rock during a heavy rain.

5. Golf is an excellent way to spend a zero day.

6. When asked where you are headed, just point. Throws off the thru-hikers who assume a trail name like Bartender (my bro) means free beverages.

7. Mahoosuc Notch is fun. Bonus laughs when we had to wait for a crybaby thru-hiker to quit crying and move on. More cry babies further north.

8. Pancakes for breakfast on a mountaintop is the way to go. Makes the thru-hikers cry some more.

9. Slack packing is in high style in the Mahossucs among thru-hikers. We tried it last two days and liked it.

You catch up with that bear that stole your gear last year ?
Was driving east om rt 2 out of gorham few weeks ago mid afternoon and saw him crossing the road heading for the golf course to chase a few stray balls.

Lone Wolf
2012-09-23, 20:26
did the notch in 40 minutes one time. full pack

Cuffs
2012-09-23, 20:39
so...

Tin Man
2012-09-23, 20:48

We took our time and had to wait for the crybaby thru hiker several times. Still managed 1:40 and had a blast. Some folks reported over 3 hours.

Very special piece of trail.

Tin Man
2012-09-23, 20:57
so...

So that is a cool time....if you are into timing things.

Crikey
2012-09-23, 22:07

Wow. Did you light her cigarette?

Skidsteer
2012-09-23, 22:28
Snicker.

sheepdog
2012-09-23, 22:43
Mounds

Bearpaw
2012-09-23, 23:31

40 minutes is hauling ass. I felt like I was moving pretty well, only stopped for 3-4 photos, and was pushing a bit and still took 57 minutes.

Thought I was out of the woods after that. The next day and a half kicked my ass like nowhere else on the AT.

Good times.

woodsy
2012-09-24, 19:53
Snicker.

Mounds

Almond Joy

Kanga
2012-09-24, 21:08
sometimes you feel like a nut..

Tin Man
2012-09-24, 21:22
...sometimes you are

cool breeze
2012-09-24, 21:25
......and sometimes you get one

sheepdog
2012-09-24, 21:28
Almond Joy

you can share half.....

woodsy
2012-09-24, 21:59
I'd hope for a ceamsicle after doing the notch.

Crikey
2012-09-24, 22:05
Ok, I know some of you have heard this one:

It was another PayDay and I was tired of Mr. Goodbar. Then, I saw Miss Hershey throwing me Kisses on the corner of Clark and 5th Avenue. In no time I pulled out my Whoppers and began feeling her Mounds with my Butterfinger. “Hey, how’d you like to Crunch on my Tootsie Rolls?”, I asked. Well, she did and it felt like pure Almond Joy. Then, I let her have my Choco Taco. She let out little Snickers and moaned,” Oh Henry it feels Good & Plenty. Even better than the 3Musketeers. Oh, those beautiful Sugar Babies!” She asked if I was into M&Ms. I said, “Why don’t you take my Whatchamacallit and slip it in your Bit-O-Honey and feel my MilkyWay?” Hey, I know men are from Mars and women are from Venus, but soon she began to get a little bit Chunky and nine months later out came Baby Ruth.

chumpchange
2012-09-28, 16:42
zero.

mudhead
2012-10-06, 14:42

The bigelows are my cup of tea too. Maine doesn't do switch backs cuz we didn't think of it first.

MonkeyBoy
2012-10-06, 17:20
My observation....

When pooping on the side of the trail........make sure there isn't a switchback.

Big Mac
2012-10-06, 19:21
My observation....

When pooping on the side of the trail........make sure there isn't a switchback.

Excellent advice Mr. Peabody.

Hog On Ice
2012-10-06, 20:32
I think even Wingnut got caught with that one

john pickett
2012-10-07, 17:33
"Pick your tree carefully when pooping"
What qualities do you look for in a tree
when you need to poop? Height? Width? Leaf color?......?

chumpchange
2012-10-07, 18:06
hollowed out.

Tin Man
2012-10-07, 20:32
"Pick your tree carefully when pooping"
What qualities do you look for in a tree
when you need to poop? Height? Width? Leaf color?......?

not about to snap under you