PDA

View Full Version : BMT thru next spring/summer perhaps

urbansix
2012-10-10, 08:32
I am pre pre planning for a BMT thru hike next summer. I have found a couple of very helpful threads on WB so far, as well as some TJ journals. I have the 2011 edition of Sgt. Rock's BMT guide as well. I did Springer --> Thunder Rock last summer (2011). Currently laying out my resupply strategy. I did one cache (near cherry log) for that hike, but was thinking ~80-mile sections between resupplies this time.

Preliminiary plan (Southbound):
Cache near Twenty Mile or mail drop at motorcycle resort (mile ~95)
Mail drop at Webb 177 (+82 miles)
Cache at Cherry Log 237 (+60 miles)
Finish at Amicalola 297 (+60 miles)

Question #1: Is there a convenient place for a resupply/drop/cache before 20 Mile? Will consider a road crossing for a cache. Noland Creek area?

Question #2: What way points constitute the beginning and end of The Smokies? The section of the trail where you have to register & declare your intent to camp, etc.
If I am going southbound, am I in the GSMP from the first step? I assume Twenty Mile is the exit?

--Don

Cuffs
2012-10-10, 08:49
1. Order Sgt Rocks thru hiker guide
2. Read it.
3. Have all your answers.

Big Mac
2012-10-10, 12:40
Yep .

SGT Rock
2012-10-10, 20:10
I am pre pre planning for a BMT thru hike next summer. I have found a couple of very helpful threads on WB so far, as well as some TJ journals. I have the 2011 edition of Sgt. Rock's BMT guide as well. I did Springer --> Thunder Rock last summer (2011). Currently laying out my resupply strategy. I did one cache (near cherry log) for that hike, but was thinking ~80-mile sections between resupplies this time.

Preliminiary plan (Southbound):
Cache near Twenty Mile or mail drop at motorcycle resort (mile ~95)
Mail drop at Webb 177 (+82 miles)
Cache at Cherry Log 237 (+60 miles)
Finish at Amicalola 297 (+60 miles)

Question #1: Is there a convenient place for a resupply/drop/cache before 20 Mile? Will consider a road crossing for a cache. Noland Creek area?
If you can secret a cache, then yes you can do one on the Lakeshore Drive. Another option you may want to consider which is easier but not at the same mileage point is the Bear Box at Smokemont Campground. A friend dropped off a box of food for herself there and then started from Big Creek and just picked her box up from the bear box. The bear box is located right beside the registration office for the car campground there.

Question #2: What way points constitute the beginning and end of The Smokies? The section of the trail where you have to register & declare your intent to camp, etc.
If I am going southbound, am I in the GSMP from the first step? I assume Twenty Mile is the exit?

--Don

Your entry point will be by the Big Creek Ranger Station. There you can fill out your permit and there is a phone by the parking area that can only call a couple of numbers, one is the reservations office. However I would recommend calling way before you show up to get the campsites you want to use. I highly recommend doing Mt Sterling on the first day in, and Enloe Creek on the second. They fill up fast though, so call exactly 30 days out from the first day of your trip.

The park ends at 20 mile Ranger Station. I would recommend doing some sort of resupply once you get to the motorcycle motel. Either get a lift to Fontana or have a box mailed to the motel.