PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Medicine

taildragger
2012-10-25, 14:57
So, I've been charged with trying to set up a class at my school for wilderness medicine. It'll be a two week field course, and I'm trying to figure out a location. Course is most likely going to be April or May. Ideally it wouldn't be a slush/mudfest (cause I don't want to hear people sniveling). Any place east or west will do.

Any thoughts?

saimyoji
2012-10-25, 15:57
So, I've been charged with trying to set up a class at my school for wilderness medicine. It'll be a two week field course, and I'm trying to figure out a location. Course is most likely going to be April or May. Ideally it wouldn't be a slush/mudfest (cause I don't want to hear people sniveling). Any place east or west will do.

Any thoughts?

Key West or Maui

Hog On Ice
2012-10-25, 16:29
it seems to be common to have those types of courses at the NOC - http://www.noc.com/

Bearpaw
2012-10-25, 18:22
I would recommend looking at either a church or scout camp. Both will usually be glad to rent out cabins/bunkhouses/meeting rooms, etc. You have an indoor facility for teaching classes and wilderness/backcountry walking distance away. I would NOT go west in April or May. Too much snow, even at many lower elevations, and where there isn't snow, you'll have snowmelt and marshy conditions. You could probably set up something within 100 miles of where you are right now with little problem by contacting churches or scouts.

We used a Lutheran church camp near Chattanooga while working on the southern 40 miles of the Cumberland Trail for 5 weeks every February and March. Facilities of 50-125 college students coming in for Alternative Spring Break. I don't know the particulars, but it wasn't expensive. And having a dining hall made life a lot easier for everybody.

BTW, it's great to hear from you Taildragger. How is med school treating you?

taildragger
2012-10-25, 18:57
Busier than a whore house in Hong Kong

I figured if we went west it would have to be somewhere like NM (Gila area), or Olympics if we're getting a group that's okay with never being dry. Still working on whether or not to have it be independent learning with two weeks of field exercise. I'd like at least a week of it to be backcountry so these kids can actually have an appreciation for whats carried, what it feels like, the stress it puts on them, and the pain in the ass that it is to haul out the idiot in your group.

BTW, anyone know of any groups other than NOLS that does wilderness first responder classes?

woodsy
2012-10-25, 20:14
BTW, anyone know of any groups other than NOLS that does wilderness first responder classes?

SOLO:
http://www.soloschools.com/index.cfm?event=courses.show&ctid=1

Skidsteer
2012-10-25, 20:20
I second NOC.

Bearpaw
2012-10-25, 21:00
Look at the program through Roane State Community College in eastern Tennessee. They conduct their course inside Great Smoky Mountains National Park at Tremont Institute. It's where I got my WFR for NOLS.

john pickett
2012-10-26, 19:03
Noc noc. Who's there?

Cuffs
2012-10-26, 19:17
WMA. Wilderness Medical Asso. Out of Maine.

Mags
2012-10-30, 17:01
Second any place that has bunk houses and indoor places for classroom settings. YMCAs in rural areas often have inexpensive lodging and a suitable area for training. Often have group cooking facilities, too.