PDA

View Full Version : my first winter hang.

fish
2012-10-26, 17:27
Myself and about 25 folk from a UK based bushcraft forum (naturalbushcraft) are meeting up for a winter camp meet in Cornwall from Saturday morning until Monday lunchtime. The weather forcast is for cold north east wind bringing cold arctic air straight off Scandinavia,night time temps are expected to go down to -5c , may seem warm to you guys but here thats a cold one!
I think i am prepared,high calorie and high carb foods for the duration,am taking home cured bacon and chicken fillets too.I just finished making my first under quilt for my hammock,i just hope its warm enough,its made from a 15 tog duvet backed with space blanket type material to reflect body heat all covered in 1.1 O.D ripstop nylon,for top layer i have a Snugpack Antarctica 2 sleeping bag which i will use as a top quilt,and over the top of me will be a DDtarp .
so you guys got any tips on keeping warm or for winter hanging?

ps. heres a vid the organiser took of the site today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashleycawley/8125699538/in/photostream?likes_hd=1

Hog On Ice
2012-10-26, 17:48
make sure to have a liter bottle that you can put boiling water into, put the bottle into a thick sock so as to avoid burns, and when in the hammock put the hot water bottle between your legs next to your femoral artery

at those temps it may also be worth while to have a CCF pad under you

not sure where the space blanket is going - I would put some plastic between the underquilt and the hammock - this seems to also help - if the space blanket is going in this area that will work also

sheepdog
2012-10-26, 17:51
I hang real close to the ground and have a large tarp that will reach all the way to the ground also. The hot water bottle is also a great idea. Of course a good wool hat.

Hog On Ice
2012-10-26, 17:57
the hat is OK but I find a down balaclava to work better for me - something that covers sides and back of neck also

another point wrt setup - try to setup so that the wind is blocked by some trees or if not that then setup so that you are crosswise to the wind so the tarp will block the wind (try to get the tarp taunt so that you don't get it snapping in the wind)

Hog On Ice
2012-10-26, 17:58
wrt hot water bottle I use a polycarbonate (Lexan) Nalgene bottle for this purpose

fish
2012-10-26, 18:14
some good pointers there.

john pickett
2012-10-26, 18:58
Fish, If you have a rainsuit, might try wearing it over your sleeping clothes.

cool breeze
2012-10-26, 19:45
Fish, If you have a rainsuit, might try wearing it over your sleeping clothes.

Sleeping clothes would become soaking wet from moisture your body gives off during the night.Rain suit should be against the skin as a vapor barrier.