PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Horizons - A new pack is coming out.

SGT Rock
2012-11-22, 20:33
Some of y'all may have seen my review of the Elemental Horizons Kalais. I am still in love with this pack, and cannot express how much I recommend them. Matthew over at Elemental Horizons had this on his blog, but I've been so busy I didn't notice it until tonight:

http://www.elementalhorizons.blogspot.com/2012/10/new-aduro-sl-pack.html

Looks like he has got a good contender for the ultralight end of things. I hope to be able to check one out come this spring.

The Aduro
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ya2pNRYvKnM/UIA6cq9XDgI/AAAAAAAAAFY/Hv5Diksxq_4/s1600/Aduro_front.jpg

Skidsteer
2012-11-22, 21:25
Good looking pack.

SGT Rock
2012-11-23, 04:24
And not bad at ~22 ounces for a medium. I wonder what it would look like in ACU pattern?

Big Mac
2012-11-23, 07:14
Probably awesome.

sheepdog
2012-11-23, 09:00
I friended them on facebook. I'm thinking there is a camo pack in my future.

hollywood
2012-11-23, 18:22
Is that gleam metal? Ultralight blasphemy!

Reflective cord, nevermind

Zpacks has a cuben hybrid with external carbon fiber frame that weighs 12 ounces, I have bought their gear before and it is well made, but pricey. I have a decent Golite pack I heavily sewed and modified though, still debating on whether to get a new pack before I hit the trail next year.

SGT Rock
2012-11-23, 22:16
If you are use to a pack and are happy with it, I wouldn't change right before a hike.

I have one Zpack and I am not that happy with it. The cuben starts to de-laminate and besides being made from cuben and having some lightweight teaks, I don't think the design is anything special.

hollywood
2012-11-24, 00:51
If you are use to a pack and are happy with it, I wouldn't change right before a hike.

I have one Zpack and I am not that happy with it. The cuben starts to de-laminate and besides being made from cuben and having some lightweight teaks, I don't think the design is anything special.

Hmm, I have a sleeping bag, and some stuff sacks, and a few other items, haven't gotten the pack yet. It would drop 2lb from my base weight, which is a nice chunk. I could drop my base weight to 7.5lbs, I tore some ligaments in my knee on the BMT last year, after my AT thru, and my knees already had problems, so I am really trying to get the weight down.

He did state that the earlier framed packs, the carbon fiber frame wasn't strong enough. I like the very simplicity of the design, as even golite packs I have had to do significant modifications to. Fortunately, I have been sewing for years and am good at making and repairing gear.

I normally don't cheer on about gear, usually if it is simple and well made, it is fine. I don't care for throwing out brand names usually, but the items I have purchased from them over the years seem simple, light, and well made.

SGT Rock
2012-11-24, 04:49
Hmm, I have a sleeping bag, and some stuff sacks, and a few other items, haven't gotten the pack yet. It would drop 2lb from my base weight, which is a nice chunk. I could drop my base weight to 7.5lbs, I tore some ligaments in my knee on the BMT last year, after my AT thru, and my knees already had problems, so I am really trying to get the weight down.

He did state that the earlier framed packs, the carbon fiber frame wasn't strong enough. I like the very simplicity of the design, as even golite packs I have had to do significant modifications to. Fortunately, I have been sewing for years and am good at making and repairing gear.

I normally don't cheer on about gear, usually if it is simple and well made, it is fine. I don't care for throwing out brand names usually, but the items I have purchased from them over the years seem simple, light, and well made.
Sorry to hear about your knee. I imagine it that would make for a good reason to want to shed the pounds off.

Zpacks is a great company. I use them for lots of parts on homemade gear and light weight accessories. But the pack I have is an early model Blast in the standard cuben (not the new hybrid stuff) and no stays/frame. The straps always seem to narrow because they tend to roll on the edges and end up giving you less area than than they are designed too. When the pack is full, it seems even worse, because the pack tends to bulge into my back - probably some of this is due to putting a lot of stuff in a small pack. The de-laminating cuben always catches on stuff going in, out, or around the pack which can be annoying. There are spots like on the water bottle holsters where there are huge holes forming from this. In hot weather my back gets freakin' extra hot like no one's business, so much I stopped using the pack in the summer at all. I personally don't think cuben is very good for packs after this experience, but I don't know about the hybrid stuff. But on that: the weight of the material at (2.92 oz per square yard)seems to start getting to the realm of other, less expensive fabrics doesn't it? As to well made - it is VERY well made, no debate there, and simple. Just nothing new or revolutionary in the design except that it is made from cuben with some light weight tweaks.

I had better luck with a Gossamer Gear packs, and like the look of that new Murmur. I wish I knew someone to let me borrow one for a hike or two. And from what I hear of that new inflatable frame sheet, I think that would be the way to go with something in that size/weight range if you are not too hard on gear: Klymit AirBeam Frame sheet (http://www.trailspace.com/articles/2012/07/13/klymit-air-beam-frame-sheet.html) I had an older model Murmur but was a little too hard on it. I sold it to someone that would be nicer to it. For me, the Gorilla would probably be a better GG option.

I'll admit I am praising the brand on this one. Matthew is a one man operation at Elemental Horizons and makes very good packs. I've never worn a pack that fit so well right out of the box as my Kalais. His Aquilo pack got high praises from BPL pack editor getting their top rating for that weight range. When I tested the Kalais, I wanted something like the Gorilla with his suspension system, and it looks like the Aduro is it. I think Elemental Horizons as a start-up is someone to watch and want to help Matthew be successful. Someday I believe that some day his packs will be as well known as GG, ULA, Sixmoons, and some of the others. I think Zpacks is already headed that way and look to Joe's packs to make some leaps ahead as they are already doing.

Tin Man
2012-11-25, 12:42
I need a pack bigger than Elemental's, so, looking for options, I followed SGT Rock's link over to Gossamer Gear and found the Mariposa 2012... and, low and behold, there is a review by JERMM! After over-analyzing other reviews and clicking on other packs, I decided to take advantage of the weekend sale and bought it! Thanks Rock and Jermm! Now I have committed the dreaded Black Friday (now all weekend) sin that I wasn't going to do - dammit! But I am happy to help a USA small business!!

This is replacing my Mountainsmith Specter...hope I can fit everything in the Mariposa - yikes!

p.s. I can't wait until Bartender sees, then lifts my new pack... he is going to be so pissed! hehehehe

Hog On Ice
2012-11-25, 13:38
he'll just figure that you sneaked the booze into his pack somehow

Tin Man
2012-11-25, 16:04
he'll just figure that you sneaked the booze into his pack somehow

he carries the scotch, i carry the wine. he claims that i fill my pack with air so i don't have much room for food. but i do carry the red meat and cheese, which tend to be heavier than the freeze dried stuff he carries. we definitely bring more food than we eat. he has a monster pack and just puts too much crap in it, no matter what i suggest and what he says he left out, it is always a back breaker load.

SGT Rock
2012-11-26, 11:58
We aim to help.

Elemental Horizons has three pack sizes now, this will be their fourth.

Northern Lite is about 61L and 42 ounces with stay
http://www.elementalhorizons.com/northernlitepack.aspx

Aquillo is about 59L and 34 ounces with stay
http://www.elementalhorizons.com/aquilo-pack.aspx

Kalais (mine) is about 48L and 26 ounces without the stay, buy the optional 4 ounce stay and it goes to 30 ounces
http://www.elementalhorizons.com/kalaispack.aspx

The new Aduro is about 41L and weighs between 18.6 and 22.1 with the new frame sheet. The frame sheet isn't going to be as cheap as the aluminum stay though. Still waiting on prices, but I e-mailed Matthew and told him to put me on the list for a ACU pattern one when he starts making them to sell. I think it will be in a week or two.
http://www.elementalhorizons.blogspot.com/

This will be my summer pack to replace the Zpack Blast. The Blast was stupid crazy light, but never worked comfortably for me. I'll keep it around as a day hike bag or for the ocasional SUL stunt hike or something.

SGT Rock
2012-11-26, 12:21
Speaking of stunt hikes. I've already got one planned for the Aduro. Two years ago I did a winter hike with a sub 10 pound base but including a hammock in the system and trying to avoid going to ground. This year I hope (if work schedule allows) to do it again with the Aduro as the pack. Two years ago the pack was a Murmur but the hip belt broke on the second day and the snow was deeper than I had planned for, so I never wrote the piece. This year I plan to plan better for the snow and hope the pack is a little more stout.

hollywood
2012-11-27, 02:24
Speaking of stunt hikes. I've already got one planned for the Aduro. Two years ago I did a winter hike with a sub 10 pound base but including a hammock in the system and trying to avoid going to ground. This year I hope (if work schedule allows) to do it again with the Aduro as the pack. Two years ago the pack was a Murmur but the hip belt broke on the second day and the snow was deeper than I had planned for, so I never wrote the piece. This year I plan to plan better for the snow and hope the pack is a little more stout.

I carry a couple stout needles with dental floss wrapped around a mini bic. I have never had anything I sewed with it break, and the whole package is 0.8oz, with a standard 55yd of floss. Tie a knot in the end after threading the needle, then burn the end so it won't fray. I have been doing it for years, and now can pretty much get the knot to melt into a solid piece of plastic, it is pretty much instant, so don't hold the flame too long or it will catch fire.

SGT Rock
2012-11-27, 06:10
I did that a couple of times with the murmur. But on this trip the plastic buckle broke.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

SGT Rock
2012-12-11, 16:00
Update: I've ordered one of the new Aduro SL packs with this new Klymit Frame Sheet. I've done some reading on the Klymit system and want to see if it lives up to the hype. I decided not to go with ACU pattern this time so I can see how the standard materials perform. It should be about 1 - 1.5 more weeks until I get it. I'll be sure and give it a thorough run through and evaluation.

They are now available with the stats here: http://www.elementalhorizons.com/aduro-sl-pack.aspx

There have been some slight changes to design and weight since I first posted about these packs.