PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Ultralight Hiking?

Tin Man
2012-12-01, 10:38
I just received my Black Friday sale Gossamer Gear Mariposa Pack... kind of reminds me of the old movie line... "Room service? Please send me up a room!" I mean seriously, I don't think my sleeping bag will fit, certainly not a 2 man tent (but I mostly hammock this days) maybe a few odds and ends and some dry food but after that, WHERE I AM GOING TO PUT MY TRADITIONAL DAY ONE FOOT LONG SUB!! Also, have to squeeze in a freezer bag for the steak and a large nalgene for the wine.

Now I need a new sleeping bag, probably a pad too. The pack was not too expensive (I paid $176), but the 1lb sleeping bags all appear to be over $400!! Trading a back buster for a budget buster is, well, um, budget busting. I recall reading somewhere, frequently now that I think about it, that for every pound less on your back is $1000 less in your wallet (or some such number). :banghead:

Any suggestions for a SMALL sleeping back that is a little less than $400, like $250 less, would be appreciated. And, no, I can't/won't make my own.

note to self: before reading ultalight hero's stuff (not to mention any names, JERMM!!!), be sure to understand the full picture. ugh

saimyoji
2012-12-01, 10:42
seriously. i was looking through the campmor catalog the other day. the 15* 800 fill Marmot bag i have was listed for 360. I paid 190 4 years ago....

Tin Man
2012-12-01, 10:49
maybe the ducks are getting better at . . . wait for it . . . ducking

Roots
2012-12-01, 10:52
We bought our Montbell UL Super stretch #2 sleeping bags for around $250. They were normally close to $400 a piece at the time. This time of year is when you can get really good deals. Campsaver is where we bought ours. It's an expensive passion but we don't spend money on anything else...except Teen Queen. 'You get what you pay for' definitely applies to outdoor gear.

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-12-01, 12:23
How about a Hammock Gear Burrow (http://www.hammockgear.com/burrow-20/)? No zipper but ain't that the latest thing for ground or hammock gram and space savers? :dontknow:

They are 900 fill down and very high quality with a 0 degree rated one coming in at $254 and a 20 degree at $229. I have both their under and top quilts and love them...there are some other cottage industry folk making equally high speed low drag gear for less. Because of the knees/lower legs being so beat up (see avatar) I only hammock camp now but can see where the quilt style makes some sense for ground sleeping (insulation under being compressed anyway etc).

Bearpaw
2012-12-01, 19:35
Second the HammockGear Burrow. Good piece of gear.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 08:29
Thanks all for the input. I went with the montbell ul #3 on sale for $214. Roots, thanks for the campsaver and montbell recommendation - nicely priced - I owe you a beer. Hit me up at the Christmas party. Not sure about the whole quilt idea others suggested, maybe next time.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 09:55
Hero Sandwiches strap to the top.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 09:58
Thanks. I was getting concerned that ultralight meant i had to cut down on food - that would be bad.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 10:01
Heaviest item in my pack is my food bag. You should see Mags pack, 90% food.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 10:03
I suspected as much. But dont tell my brother. He carries most of the food.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 10:05
Now that is true ultralight. In that case all you need is a book bag.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 10:19
I have not told bro about my new light gear. He is going to be so pissed. I used to carry our 2 man tent - then I got him to convert to a hammock - he loves it, but its in his pack. I carry the cook kit and the insulated food bag for fresh stuff, but we have cut back on that. My old pack was always lighter than his and whenever he gripes that all I carry is air, I explain to him that pack loads between two people should be proportionate to body weight and he has me by like 30 pounds.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 10:32
So he should carry more than you.

I've worked diligently to get my gear weight down over the years, but what I find is when I get my weight down again, somehow I end up adding something back into my pack. So all these years later I still carry about 9 pounds base in summer, 12 pounds base spring/fall, and 14 pounds base in winter. When I do guidebook stuff it adds in another 3/4 pounds for GPS and batteries.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 11:11
I have never measured base weight, but packed and ready to go with water and wine and freezer bag food, I was at about 30 pounds - before bro handed me a little more food, so maybe 33 pounds. If was over 30 lbs, I just took stuff out. It will be interesting to see what my new weight is... and how mad he will be. hehehehe

I am saving this new pack thing to show him on our next hike, hopefully it will be an easy weekend in PA and not a long hard one in ME. I wouldn't want to piss him off that much.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 11:27
My summer with 5 days food and water (6 day hike) is about 25.7 due to extra water. Spring/Fall would be about 26, and winter would be about 27.9 for the same length trip.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 11:42
How many pounds of food per day do you pack? We have found the 2lbs/day rule of thumb I have read elsewhere was too much, but maybe good after being on the trail for at least a couple of weeks. We leave a cache bucket at a road crossing for food, booze and clothes resupply on day 2 or 3. :)

Cuffs
2012-12-02, 11:51
I've never carried the 2/per day suggestion. I'm usually around 1-1.5#. Mostly dried or dehydrated foods tho

Superman
2012-12-02, 12:08
How many pounds of food per day do you pack? We have found the 2lbs/day rule of thumb I have read elsewhere was too much, but maybe good after being on the trail for at least a couple of weeks. We leave a cache bucket at a road crossing for food, booze and clothes resupply on day 2 or 3. :)

When I start a hike I lose my appetite for a few days. If I'm doing a long distant hike I can't carry enough food. That's why I kill and eat any bison I meet up with on the trail.

Elder
2012-12-02, 12:16
When I start a hike I lose my appetite for a few days. If I'm doing a long distant hike I can't carry enough food. That's why I kill and eat any bison I meet up with on the trail.

Yep. Full of Bull.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 12:50
My meals per day are about 1.75 pounds, but then I add in about 1 ounce of olive oil (calculates separately on my spreadsheet) and another 4 ounces of bourbon. If I'm on a really long hike I usually boost that up some more.

Be advised that there are some things that are calculated that some people would find obsessive. But it is has helped me identify things I was carrying too much of.

Bearpaw
2012-12-02, 12:56
In warm weather, I find a little over a pound a day is fine the first 3-4 days; after that, about 1.5 pounds a day. I carry closer to 2 pounds in winter to increase fatty foods (cheese, chocolate, bacon, etc) so I can stay warm more easily.

On my thru-hike, after 3-4 months a month, I was eating 2.5-3 pounds a day and still losing 1-2 pounds a week. Before I entered the 100-Mile Wilderness, my food bag was 26 pounds. 6 1/2 days later I walked into Abol Bridge Campground with 2 packets of oatmeal and a freeze-dried dinner. But that kind of super-charged metabolism takes at least a couple of months to develop unless you are Michael Phelps.

Superman
2012-12-02, 12:58
My meals per day are about 1.75 pounds, but then I add in about 1 ounce of olive oil (calculates separately on my spreadsheet) and another 4 ounces of bourbon. If I'm on a really long hike I usually boost that up some more.

Be advised that there are some things that are calculated that some people would find obsessive. But it is has helped me identify things I was carrying too much of.

Daisy and my foot doctor is a rock climber and a surgeon. He had to keep taking his wedding band off and on which resulted in losing some wedding bands. So he got a wedding band tatoo on his finger. He hasn't lost that band yet and it's wicked light. I'm thinking of getting one from the same RN nurse that did his.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 13:45
Daisy and my foot doctor is a rock climber and a surgeon. He had to keep taking his wedding band off and on which resulted in losing some wedding bands. So he got a wedding band tatoo on his finger. He hasn't lost that band yet and it's wicked light. I'm thinking of getting one from the same RN nurse that did his.

you're marrying your rn?? does daisy know?

Roots
2012-12-02, 13:54

I've seriously thought about the same thing with the tatoo rings.

Superman
2012-12-02, 14:11
I've seriously thought about the same thing with the tatoo rings.

My doctor sought out someone he could count on to do a healthy tattoo. The RN autoclaves his stuff follows all the proper procedures. When I got my CIB tattooed on my arm it was by a guy who was unusually sober at that moment. He took my actual CIB and made a stencil out of it and then followed the stencil. I've seen some pretty screwed up tattoos on servicemen. Tattoos seem to work best when at least one of the people involved are sober. I'm going to try to do it right this time and have both of us sober.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 14:29
I hear they have good tattoo artists in prison too.

Tin Man
2012-12-02, 14:38
stay away from the guy with the sheepdog tattoo

Superman
2012-12-02, 16:06
I hear they have good tattoo artists in prison too.

If they're free maybe I should wait a bit.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 16:08
I think they charge by the cigarette.

Superman
2012-12-02, 16:13

That's ok. I don't smoke. I'm glad it's not sexual favors.:biggrin:

Law Dawg (ret)
2012-12-02, 20:09

That's ok. I don't smoke. I'm glad it's not sexual favors.:biggrin:

I once hauled a chain warrior (big talker until the cuffs come off) to jail and boy was he talking smack all the way. Stopped when at receiving his tee shirt got pulled up to reveal a very nicely done naked woman emblazoned...

wait for it...

on his back. :bootyshak

Seems the price ain't always just a :smokin: and I'd advise being able to see what the "artist" is creating.

SGT Rock
2012-12-02, 20:13
Sweet.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

sheepdog
2012-12-02, 20:26
If they're free maybe I should wait a bit.

nothing is free in prison.

Superman
2012-12-02, 20:31
nothing is free in prison.

Yet another opportunity to meet new and interesting people?

sheepdog
2012-12-02, 20:32
Yet another opportunity to meet new and interesting people?

yepper

Tin Man
2012-12-14, 14:13
Okay, so here is what I have purchased on sale recently...

Ounces # Total
Mariposa 2012 Ultralight Backpack 27.6 ounces
Mont Bell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag (800 Down) 19.0 ounces
Blackbird Double Layer 1.1 (olive brown) 28.0 ounces
Carabiners (set of 2) 1.6 ounces
Y-shape stakes pack of 8 7 ounces
Equinox 10X12 Ultralight Backpacking Tarp 19.0 ounces

ounces 102.2
pounds 6.4

This is a savings of 7-8 pounds off the gear this replaces. Woot!

I need a pad that fits in the pack side sleeve - probably buy from Gossamer. I have a MSR Whisperlite canister stove - at 3 ounces, I am not looking at replacing that and I am not going with alcohol or other stoves. My cook kit is MSR non-stick stuff - since we do more than boil water, I am not looking to change that either. Clothing-wise, I only carry sleep clothes and change of socks, wear the same stuff until I hit a cache bucket at road crossings to switch out clothes, garbage for food and refill the booze every 2-3 days on the trail. I pretty much have reduced everything except maybe warmer clothes for sitting around camp. What is warm and not as bulky as fleece? Any other weight saving ideas are appreciated.

SGT Rock
2012-12-14, 16:58
Down. Cheaper would be field jacket liner and pants. Past saying that, it's hard without a packing list or in person shake down.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Roots
2012-12-14, 17:02
agree with the pack list. maybe list out everything you carry so we can get a better idea of where else to help :)

Hog On Ice
2012-12-14, 17:11
or to point at and laugh

JERMM
2012-12-14, 17:12
Okay, so here is what I have purchased on sale recently...

Ounces # Total
Mariposa 2012 Ultralight Backpack 27.6 ounces
Mont Bell U.L. Spiral Down Hugger #3 Sleeping Bag (800 Down) 19.0 ounces
Blackbird Double Layer 1.1 (olive brown) 28.0 ounces
Carabiners (set of 2) 1.6 ounces
Y-shape stakes pack of 8 7 ounces
Equinox 10X12 Ultralight Backpacking Tarp 19.0 ounces

ounces 102.2
pounds 6.4

This is a savings of 7-8 pounds off the gear this replaces. Woot!

I need a pad that fits in the pack side sleeve - probably buy from Gossamer. I have a MSR Whisperlite canister stove - at 3 ounces, I am not looking at replacing that and I am not going with alcohol or other stoves. My cook kit is MSR non-stick stuff - since we do more than boil water, I am not looking to change that either. Clothing-wise, I only carry sleep clothes and change of socks, wear the same stuff until I hit a cache bucket at road crossings to switch out clothes, garbage for food and refill the booze every 2-3 days on the trail. I pretty much have reduced everything except maybe warmer clothes for sitting around camp. What is warm and not as bulky as fleece? Any other weight saving ideas are appreciated.

drive on down here, i'll get your pack weight down

BTW...i have the same pack in a size small, carried 6-days of food and winter gear, 16.lbs, the pack is too huge for me

Tin Man
2012-12-14, 17:45
I don;t have a good scale to weigh things, so the attached old gear list may be reading heavier than it is, at least it doesn't agree with the bathroom scale when I have it packed and on my back. I bought a postal scale, but it is way off... or is that weigh off? :) The group I share my office with have a Pittney Bowes electronic postal scale. Maybe I could bring my stuff into work and weigh things here. :)

Cuffs
2012-12-14, 17:48
BTW...i have the same pack in a size small, carried 6-days of food and winter gear, 16.lbs, the pack is too huge for me

you suck.

JERMM
2012-12-14, 17:57
you suck.

:star::star::star:

Superman
2012-12-14, 17:59
:star::star::star:

:adore::adore::adore:

Tin Man
2012-12-14, 18:00
you suck.

When I picked up Jermm's pack in Kent two summers ago, I was totally floored by how light she travels. I am finally getting around to doing something about it.

JERMM
2012-12-14, 18:22
When I picked up Jermm's pack in Kent two summers ago, I was totally floored by how light she travels. I am finally getting around to doing something about it.

i carried everything i needed to keep me warm, dry, comfortable and happy...don't need anymore than that

Tin Man
2012-12-14, 19:00
i carried everything i needed to keep me warm, dry, comfortable and happy...don't need anymore than that

Well, I need to carry my wine.

JERMM
2012-12-14, 19:48
Well, I need to carry my wine.

and there's no reason you can't, the pack you have is huge compared to the one I was carrying when I saw you...BTW i had room in that pack for more

Ray
2012-12-14, 19:53
i carried everything i needed to keep me warm, dry, comfortable and happy...Great idea! But how do I get my wife into my pack?

Tin Man
2012-12-14, 19:55
Great idea! But how do I get my wife into my pack?

put a buff cowboy in there?

Skidsteer
2012-12-14, 20:03

Great idea! But how do I get my wife into my pack?

Ray it's like the old ultralight mantra, Cheap, light, durable. Pick two.

cool breeze
2012-12-14, 22:59
It's costs alot of money to buy lightweight gear vthat works. The mind set that you want to be comfortable while walking and not in camp helps too. In camp you need to sleep comfortable and eat. Most of your day is spent walking if you're going to get anywhere. Now if you're out there to just have fun and spend lazy evenings around the fire then your pack will be heavier. If you're going to walk all day get to camp and rest up to do it again tomorow then you don't need that much. Then there is everything in between. What ever floats your fucking boat.

Tin Man
2012-12-14, 23:04
It's costs alot of money to buy lightweight gear vthat works. The mind set that you want to be comfortable while walking and not in camp helps too. In camp you need to sleep comfortable and eat. Most of your day is spent walking if you're going to get anywhere. Now if you're out there to just have fun and spend lazy evenings around the fire then your pack will be heavier. If you're going to walk all day get to camp and rest up to do it again tomorow then you don't need that much. Then there is everything in between. What ever floats your fucking boat.

yep, pretty much my attitude. we went from a few heavy miles to long days, but still want to have fun around the campfire so if 1 is lazy/mostly just fun and 10 is do as many miles as possible/little camping fun, we are probably a 7... which is a 10 for us. :top:

Tin Man
2012-12-19, 18:51
Any thoughts on this promotion?...

http://www.golite.com/bigscore.aspx

SGT Rock
2012-12-19, 18:53
I guess that ain't bad. I prefer Montbell and WM myself.

Cuffs
2012-12-19, 18:55
Ditto Rock

Tin Man
2012-12-19, 19:02
K. Thanks.

Kanga
2012-12-19, 19:05
i have a couple of golite pieces that are my go-to items. it can be hit or miss but the hits are well worth it.

Kanga
2012-12-19, 19:06
okay i have the women's version of that roan plateau down parka and that is a definite hit. that's my it's-fucking-cold jacket.

SGT Rock
2012-12-19, 19:09
Just some general notes:

- 136 oz for a pack! - pack, you did just get a smaller pack, so that should be solved
- 64 for a sleeping bag? Try to cut that in half. I prefer down.
- 14 for a sleeping pad? Not bad. It could go lighter, but you will need to figure that out. The pack I think you recently got will work well with a Zrest.
- 83 for a tent! OUCH! I would look at 2 pounds for this, with an eye to looking at 16 oz or less if possible.
- 10 ounces for water bottles? Two gatoraid bottles, or one gatoraide and a 2.6 platy for abuot 3.2 ounces.
- Water filters - 0.11 ounces for one woman's hose, another 0.71 ounces for a bottle of bleach
- Stove - DIY alcohol stove for about 1 ounce or less.
- 3 ounces for a lighter? 0.41 for a bic mini
- Fire Ribbon? Toilet paper and some cooking oil add nothing to your packing weight since you already carry them.
- Cook kit? What makes a kit? You drink from your bottle and you eat with a spoon. Your pot can weigh about 4 ounces or less. So your "kit" can be less than 5 ounces.
- Utensils. See above. If you need something more you can cut a "fork" from a bush or make chop sticks to throw away into the fire when your are finished with them.
- Towel - cut 1/4 of it out and carry that.
- Utility knife is where I have trouble. You can go with a leatherman micra for about 0.5 ounces, but I end up with a neck knife as well.
- Flash light 3 ounces - you can go lighter, that said, mine weighs about that with backup batteries. I want more than a tini weenie light.
- TP, carry about half of that and learn to shit less.
- Rain Jacket - look at Anti Gravity Gear's Sil Nylon jacket for about 1/3 that.
- Garbage bags. How many do you need?
- Twine and rope, carry about half that.
- First aid/repair kit - see if you can cut the supplies in it by about half.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-19, 19:42
- TP, carry about half of that and learn to shit less.

+1 for Rock

sheepdog
2012-12-19, 20:19
If you hold your mud aren't you carrying more??

D'Artagnan
2012-12-19, 22:03
"learn to shit less"

You are da man!

saimyoji
2012-12-19, 22:49
i agree with that. hold it a little longer, shit more per squat, as opposed to squatting more often and passing less time....

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 08:58
My doctor sought out someone he could count on to do a healthy tattoo. The RN autoclaves his stuff follows all the proper procedures. When I got my CIB tattooed on my arm it was by a guy who was unusually sober at that moment. He took my actual CIB and made a stencil out of it and then followed the stencil. I've seen some pretty screwed up tattoos on servicemen. Tattoos seem to work best when at least one of the people involved are sober. I'm going to try to do it right this time and have both of us sober.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/f9d7830e0b9c722bd2f787388ad1b7f5.jpg

Digging up the past looking for gear ideas.

I had this done local. Didn't even cost me any sexual favors or cigs!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Superman
2017-01-13, 09:04
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170113/f9d7830e0b9c722bd2f787388ad1b7f5.jpg

Digging up the past looking for gear ideas.

I had this done local. Didn't even cost me any sexual favors or cigs!

Holy bat shit, what is that? Is that the new thing they give to people that can't walk? You were cav so you already get to wear the coolest hat. It seems .....gaudy. You obviously never heard the rule about "never get a tattoo that would look great as a lamp shade."

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 09:07
Holy bat shit, what is that is that the new thing they give to people that can't walk? You were cav so you already get to wear the coolest hat.
Yep, it makes us POGs feel special. We get a I did something cool too badge.

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 09:12
Holy bat shit, what is that is that the new thing they give to people that can't walk? You were cav so you already get to wear the coolest hat.
This always comes to mind when I think of military awards and accommodations. Hahahahaha!!!!

https://youtu.be/JpgPD5M9AJs

Superman
2017-01-13, 09:32
This always comes to mind when I think of military awards and accommodations. Hahahahaha!!!!

https://youtu.be/JpgPD5M9AJs

That's funny right there. In the eyes of the VA we were all a bunch of secretaries.

Superman
2017-01-13, 09:37

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 11:03
I figured you grunts would get like a full on chest piece for those CIBs. That shows how hardcore ya are. Anything less just shows you might have had started your boot laces ontop... :-)

Superman
2017-01-13, 11:10
Yep, it makes us POGs feel special. We get a I did something cool too badge.

The infantry got the CIB because they tend to take the most casualties in war after war. All infantrymen appreciate the support they get from the other units. Armor was incorporated in many of our operations. Usually they were in small numbers (1/4th Cav). It was very common for them to get super stuck or broken down. Then it was the best guess how to deal with it as in putting a perimeter around it to secure it while it was made operational or blow it up in place. We loved to have them because of the firepower they had and the huge amount of ammunition they carried. Since I tended to be in larger operations it's not like we were sneaking around anyway. I was there when the 11th Cav went on line and took back an air field. They were firing anti-personnel rounds at point blank range. There were asses and elbows flying every which way. I don't recall ever seeing an armor scout. I read that armor in Vietnam took more casualties than infantry based on the percentage of the MOS. I don't know if that is true.

Superman
2017-01-13, 11:12
I figured you grunts would get like a full on chest piece for those CIBs. That shows how hardcore ya are. Anything less just shows you might have had started your boot laces ontop... :-)

Part of the COs welcome to Vietnam speech included..."don't expect to get any medals...you are infantry....it is your job to kill the enemy....just do your job."

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 11:20
Part of the COs welcome to Vietnam speech included..."don't expect to get any medals...you are infantry....it is your job to kill the enemy....just do your job."
Nice welcome speech. No fluff, or sugarcoating. I like that. If you do earn anything, you EARNED IT. Sadly that is gone, the Army is transitioned into a different type of war machine. I miss it on good days, and curse it on bad. As time moves on, I start to romanticize the bad.

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 11:27
The infantry got the CIB because they tend to take the most casualties in war after war. All infantrymen appreciate the support they get from the other units. Armor was incorporated in many of our operations. Usually they were in small numbers (1/4th Cav). It was very common for them to get super stuck or broken down. Then it was the best guess how to deal with it as in putting a perimeter around it to secure it while it was made operational or blow it up in place. We loved to have them because of the firepower they had and the huge amount of ammunition they carried. Since I tended to be in larger operations it's not like we were sneaking around anyway. I was there when the 11th Cav went on line and took back an air field. They were firing anti-personnel rounds at point blank range. There were asses and elbows flying every which way. I don't recall ever seeing an armor scout. I read that armor in Vietnam took more casualties than infantry based on the percentage of the MOS. I don't know if that is true.
I think it matters on where the data comes from. Unit casualties reports on the ground always include wounded with deaths just as a LACE report. Now take a 42A that is being lazy at their job and doesn't bother to distinguish the difference between the two and just reports them all as KIAs. That inflates the initial reports like crazy. Then later when the actual number are adjusted for accuracy by historians, the public wonders who and what to believe.

Superman
2017-01-13, 11:44
Nice welcome speech. No fluff, or sugarcoating. I like that. If you do earn anything, you EARNED IT. Sadly that is gone, the Army is transitioned into a different type of war machine. I miss it on good days, and curse it on bad. As time moves on, I start to romanticize the bad.

When we were here we wanted to be there. When we were there we wanted to be here. I'm about to turn 70 and I can't tell if I long for those days because I was young and alive or just because I was young then. Those events will be with you for the rest of your life....as life is leaving your body you will be remembering when....I used to not speak of it but now I talk about it too much. I have talked to some of our young vets and they seem to think that they are unworthy of their issues because they were pogs. Anyone who has been in the shit deep enough tracks that shit all the way through their life. Medals don't mean shit...it's all about how you touched the elephant.

john pickett
2017-01-13, 13:18
Wow!

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 13:19
When we were here we wanted to be there. When we were there we wanted to be here. I'm about to turn 70 and I can't tell if I long for those days because I was young and alive or just because I was young then. Those events will be with you for the rest of your life....as life is leaving your body you will be remembering when....I used to not speak of it but now I talk about it too much. I have talked to some of our young vets and they seem to think that they are unworthy of their issues because they were pogs. Anyone who has been in the shit deep enough tracks that shit all the way through their life. Medals don't mean shit...it's all about how you touched the elephant.

I stopped drinking a year ago. It was becoming an issue. I also was tipping the scales the heaviest I have ever been. The wife and I were both in a nasty slump. I was going to either suck start a M4 or change my life. Well I'm still alive. We both started eating healthier, I got back to being outdoors more. I dropped back down to active duty height/weight standards, I can pass a APFT. I changed my outlook on how I processed information, I no longer cared what society thought. I know what kind of man I am and I am very comfortable with that.

Superman
2017-01-13, 16:32
Wow!

Wow what?

Superman
2017-01-13, 16:33
I stopped drinking a year ago. It was becoming an issue. I also was tipping the scales the heaviest I have ever been. The wife and I were both in a nasty slump. I was going to either suck start a M4 or change my life. Well I'm still alive. We both started eating healthier, I got back to being outdoors more. I dropped back down to active duty height/weight standards, I can pass a APFT. I changed my outlook on how I processed information, I no longer cared what society thought. I know what kind of man I am and I am very comfortable with that.

If you're going to hang out at the VA you may have to start drinking again.

Lugnut
2017-01-13, 16:48
I stopped drinking a year ago. It was becoming an issue. I also was tipping the scales the heaviest I have ever been. The wife and I were both in a nasty slump. I was going to either suck start a M4 or change my life. Well I'm still alive. We both started eating healthier, I got back to being outdoors more. I dropped back down to active duty height/weight standards, I can pass a APFT. I changed my outlook on how I processed information, I no longer cared what society thought. I know what kind of man I am and I am very comfortable with that

The only bad thing about taking care of yourself is that you risk being as old as Superman. :afraid:

Superman
2017-01-13, 18:09
The only bad thing about taking care of yourself is that you risk being as old as Superman. :afraid:

Your ex said you weren't very nice. I just thought you'd like to know.

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 18:15
If you're going to hang out at the VA you may have to start drinking again.
I've been told that. You want to know my drinks of choice? They're not bourbon or any of the hard stuff, but I really like box wine and Angry Orchard. I could drink a whole 5 liter box of wine by myself and still be wanting more. The Angry Orchard, tastes good, too good.

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 18:16
Don't tell my wife, she's planning on a good payout on life insurance sooner rather than later. Lol

Superman
2017-01-13, 18:54
Don't tell my wife, she's planning on a good payout on life insurance sooner rather than later. Lol

They all do. Mine is prone to violence and has assured me that we will get a divorce over my dead body.

Lugnut
2017-01-13, 18:54
Your ex said you weren't very nice. I just thought you'd like to know.

Coming from her I consider that a compliment.

saimyoji
2017-01-13, 19:14
I've been told that. You want to know my drinks of choice? They're not bourbon or any of the hard stuff, but I really like box wine and Angry Orchard. I could drink a whole 5 liter box of wine by myself and still be wanting more. The Angry Orchard, tastes good, too good.

Angry orchard is good stuff. And healthy too!

Superman
2017-01-13, 19:16
Coming from her I consider that a compliment.

She seems nice.

Superman
2017-01-13, 19:28

My wife just retired from being a manager of a New Hampshire state liquor store in October. Part of her job was to have knowledge of all the alcohol products they sell. She's only no sobering up.

toecutter1978
2017-01-13, 19:30
Angry orchard is good stuff. And healthy too!
Heard it has 5% almost real fruit juice in it. That's good enough right?! Lol

sheepdog
2017-01-13, 20:59
Heard it has 5% almost real fruit juice in it. That's good enough right?! Lol

A full serving of fruit.

saimyoji
2017-01-14, 00:27
Yeah bit it also has good stuff like ginger honey cinnamon etc.

john pickett
2017-01-14, 06:53
"Wow what?"
It's really important you talk about and write about your experiences in the war. It's a form of therapy which will do you more good than almost anything else. Talking to a counselor is similar, except people may hesitate to express everything they're feeling. So, please keep talking about your experiences. My father-in-law saw combat in Italy during WW2. Afterwards he would never speak of the things he saw and did. He would shake his head and smile; then later pull out the whiskey bottle he kept hidden, (he thought), and drown his feelings. He died in his early 70's of the combined effects of whiskey and tobacco. His physician, (not a VA doc), said he could have lived past 100 if he hadn't drunk and smoked himself to death. He almost assuredly suffered from undiagnosed PTSD; the likely cause of his alcoholism.

Superman
2017-01-14, 07:34
"Wow what?"
It's really important you talk about and write about your experiences in the war. It's a form of therapy which will do you more good than almost anything else. Talking to a counselor is similar, except people may hesitate to express everything they're feeling. So, please keep talking about your experiences. My father-in-law saw combat in Italy during WW2. Afterwards he would never speak of the things he saw and did. He would shake his head and smile; then later pull out the whiskey bottle he kept hidden, (he thought), and drown his feelings. He died in his early 70's of the combined effects of whiskey and tobacco. His physician, (not a VA doc), said he could have lived past 100 if he hadn't drunk and smoked himself to death. He almost assuredly suffered from undiagnosed PTSD; the likely cause of his alcoholism.

That's fine so long as you don't show your writing to the VA.

john pickett
2017-01-14, 19:18
Show it to people here. Show it to people who have also seen the elephant. Show it to troopers at the VFW. Just don't bottle it up. Please

Superman
2017-01-14, 20:01
Show it to people here. Show it to people who have also seen the elephant. Show it to troopers at the VFW. Just don't bottle it up. Please

You're insane.

DesertReprobate
2017-01-14, 20:54
"Wow what?"

A lot of WW II vets didn't talk about their service. I had an uncle who flew the backup plane for the Enola Gay. Noone in the family knew about it until after he died. We found some interesting photos in his attic afterward. I've been trying to get my cousins to digitize them.

john pickett
2017-01-15, 05:33
No, I'm concerned.

Superman
2017-01-15, 07:36
No, I'm concerned.

Are you a combat vet and have you ever done this sharing shit?

toecutter1978
2017-01-15, 10:27
Know what helped me? The VA's cognitive processing therapy. That was by far the most intense, mud dragging, I do know if I want to it again, but I am glad I stuck it out therapy. It was better than the usual sitting around a table or in a couch talking about everything or nothing. You actually are forced to deal with the issue or issues. The tools are laid out so you can better understand what you can do to process and think differently about what is going on.

Honestly, I dropped out the first time. It's like quiting smoking, some have to do it a few times before it actually catches on. Do I still have issues, yep. The wife is the best judge of me. She is the one that puts up with the man I am. More than likely so does everybody's else significant other. I am my own worst enemy on shit days. For some reason it seems I try to ruin the best things for myself; like I don't deserve them, I am not worthy of a small inkling of happiness. Why, I and a few others know why deep down within ourselves but cannot admit it. You learn to live, and move on.

Lugnut
2017-01-15, 11:13
My son was in the mess in Somalia. He had a lot of things in his memory bank. Before he passed away he asked to talk with a pastor because he said he had a lot to get off his chest. I never pried into what happened over there but I'm sure it was what he saw and not what he did.

rcli4
2017-01-15, 20:35
I didn't do shit, but that Ithaca Model 37 has some shit to answer for....

Superman
2017-01-15, 21:28
It doesn't mean a thing...it's just another day.

john pickett
2017-01-16, 08:45
Wish I had an Ithaca Model 37. That's a sweet shooting gun!

toecutter1978
2017-01-16, 10:18
Saw a few yesterday. Pricing was all over the place. Some vendors were still charging Hilary won prices.

john pickett
2017-01-17, 14:01
"Are you a combat vet and have you ever done this sharing shit?"
Sorry for the delay in replying. The ice storm really complicated things here.
I never served overseas. I enlisted in the Navy Reserve in 1971. After boot camp and Hospital Corps "A" school, I was sent to Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. As a reservist, I wasn't allowed a dream sheet. By the time my tour was up, the war had ended and the POW's had come home. I was told to go home to Texas and be a drilling reservist. In the late 80's I was in school learning to operate the heart-lung bypass pump for open heart surgery. School was very time consuming and I switched to non-pay, non-drill status. In 1989, I received my DD-214 in the mail. I was out of the reserves. I was never asked if this was what I wanted.
I have been in counseling 4 times in my adult life. Most recently, I was having bad problems with insomnia and anxiety. This was about 2 years ago. My family doc (non VA) diagnosed me with anxiety and depression. Initially he prescribed an anti-depressant. It took a couple of tries to find one I tolerated well. I began to sleep better but my anxiety didn't respond and he added cognitive behavioral therapy or counseling. The first time I met with my counselor I was in such a state my hands were visibly trembling. After the first one-hour session my agitation was way down and my hands were no longer trembling. I have continued to meet with my counselor for an hour bi-weekly. I honestly can't say if I will ever stop my counseling sessions. Probably if my counselor says I'm not likely to get anymore benefit from continuing, I'll stop then.

Superman
2017-01-17, 14:36
We had this guy that checked into whacky ward at the local VAMC. He claimed to be a recently escaped POW. He talked about knowing a POW that was from the local area. They had the brother of the POW come in and the brother could not tell if the information the nut job gave was accurate or not. Finally the whackos file came back and he'd never been in Vietnam or served in the area so they kicked his ass out. A few days latter he came walking into the local vet center wearing an electricians tool belt. The vet center guy checked the guys work history and found that he'd been a tin knocker at one point. A couple days latter the whack job came back wearing a tin knockers tool belt. They sent him on a job interview and he got the job. Never saw the whack job again. He was having an identity crises. There's all kinds of crazy and most of it has nothing to do with Vietnam but many times they try to wrap their shit in Vietnam. Just sayin.

john pickett
2017-01-17, 16:57
As you say, there's all kinds of crazy.

toecutter1978
2017-01-18, 11:48
I've been on a M9 kick as of late. For some reason I really want to pick one up. I liked my Beretta I carried. It was huge in my hand, I bitched about the slide safety. The third party magazines were junk, but it was a beast. Just like anything in the Army, it's going to get abused by the soldier. If your armorer was worth their weight in CLP, he stayed up on routine maintenance. It also fell upon the soldier. You come off mission, before you eat, you clean your shit. Before you sleep, you clean your shit. You don't know when you will need your weapon next. The M9A1 is nice, but the rail and rounded trigger guard takes away from the looks for me. I never mount anything to my sidearms anyway.

Superman
2017-01-18, 12:00
You do know that you don't need to carry a weapon (knife of gun) to do civilian hiking?

toecutter1978
2017-01-18, 13:07
Good thing I'm not a civilian. ;-)

Superman
2017-01-18, 14:48
Most military personnel have to un-learn what they did in the military. One of the sayings is that you can either hike well or camp well....you have to decide what you want to do. Most of the folks on here do more than over nighters.

Kanga
2017-01-20, 12:08
You do know that you don't need to carry a weapon (knife of gun) to do civilian hiking?

we don't need this kind of negativity around here

Superman
2017-01-20, 12:53
we don't need this kind of negativity around here

OMG, what did I say? I must have caught senility from Lugnut. I'm hideous.

Kanga
2017-01-20, 12:56
there's something fundamentally wrong with someone who says you don't need a weapon.

Superman
2017-01-20, 13:13
there's something fundamentally wrong with someone who says you don't need a weapon.

A person like that should be whipped.

shadowmoss
2017-01-20, 16:05
You would enjoy it too much.

Superman
2017-01-20, 16:39

:angel:

Crikey
2017-01-20, 17:03
A person like that should be whipped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_QLzthSkfM

toecutter1978
2017-01-20, 18:46
I enjoy my firearms and blades. They are just tools. Knowing when a certain tool is needed is key. However, I do not want to be that person that is wishing they brought a hammer when all they have is a wrench.

Superman
2017-01-20, 18:55
I enjoy my firearms and blades. They are just tools. Knowing when a certain tool is needed is key. However, I do not want to be that person that is wishing they brought a hammer when all they have is a wrench.

In 2000 I saw a wanabe thru hiker that was carrying a Bowie knife. It was huge.

Superman
2017-01-20, 19:57
I was always on the look out for an FNG to carry my extra battery. I wouldn't have carried a knife or a gun if I thought the VC had a sense of humor. When I hike with my wife I carry our down filled coats and quilts while she carries the heavy stuff. That was why I married old what's her name.

toecutter1978
2017-01-20, 20:57
In 2000 I saw a wanabe thru hiker that was carrying a Bowie knife. It was huge.
Bowie knives are only good for a few purposes. A knives that large needs to have a flat spine so it can be beat on. A chisel grind is best, as this is easier to service in the field. I would rather have a strong blade than extra food. A blade can get you that easy

Superman
2017-01-20, 21:10
Bowie knives are only good for a few purposes. A knives that large needs to have a flat spine so it can be beat on. A chisel grind is best, as this is easier to service in the field. I would rather have a strong blade than extra food. A blade can get you that easy

Just because you check their rice balls doesn't mean they are fit to eat.

toecutter1978
2017-01-20, 21:19
If they cook it and offer it but don't want any... Contact front

Superman
2017-01-20, 21:48
If they cook it and offer it but don't want any... Contact front

Did they move the front? The front used to be in the rear.

toecutter1978
2017-01-20, 23:41
Did they move the front? The front used to be in the rear.
It's a term used to describe which direction hostiles are to be engaged from your point man.

Superman
2017-01-20, 23:52
It's a term used to describe which direction hostiles are to be engaged from your point man.

surrounded and outnumbered was just another day in a target rich environment.:angel:

toecutter1978
2017-01-22, 11:05
surrounded and outnumbered was just another day in a target rich environment.:angel:
Walk away, then it's a good day.

Superman
2017-01-22, 18:28
Walk away, then it's a good day.

Google Ap Gu. We had front in all directions.

Superman
2017-01-22, 21:55
http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/29906/JOHN-W-LAWRENCE-JR

toecutter1978
2017-01-23, 08:56
http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/29906/JOHN-W-LAWRENCE-JR
Thank you for sharing.

toecutter1978
2017-01-23, 09:15
That site also has a way for Veterans that have died due to deaths that we all know are related to Vietnam but is not covered by the DOD to be memorailzed.

I hated my father for the longest time growing up. I always thought he was weak, shameful, and down right a piece of shit. I could not understand why a person, especially a man could abandon his son to the world without an explanation why or no thought for on what might or will happen. Then I joined the Army. Seeing the best of man and the worst of man changes you. Every laugh can suddenly end with a blood curdling death scream. After a while I came to an understanding on why he did what he did. Not that I say it's OK, but I understand. He committed suicide to deal with his issues. As a child I did not know the complexity of his situation, the pain he was going through. As a man, especially as one that has gotten dirty I see why he thought that was his only way out. It would be healing for me to see if he qualifies to have his name added to a small plaque.

Thanks you for posting link.

Superman
2017-01-23, 09:19
That site also has a way for Veterans that have died due to deaths that we all know are related to Vietnam but is not covered by the DOD to be memorailzed.

I hated my father for the longest time growing up. I always thought he was weak, shameful, and down right a piece of shit. I could not understand why a person, especially a man could abandon his son to the world without an explanation why or no thought for on what might or will happen. Then I joined the Army. Seeing the best of man and the worst of man changes you. Every laugh can suddenly end with a blood curdling death scream. After a while I came to an understanding on why he did what he did. Not that I say it's OK, but I understand. He committed suicide to deal with his issues. As a child I did not know the complexity of his situation, the pain he was going through. As a man, especially as one that has gotten dirty I see why he thought that was his only way out. It would be healing for me to see if he qualifies to have his name added to a small plaque.

Thanks you for posting link.

Was your dad a Vietnam Vet?

toecutter1978
2017-01-23, 09:22
Was your dad a Vietnam Vet?
Yes he was. I do not know the exact years off the top of my head. I will have to look at what paperwork I have of his. Navy

Superman
2017-01-23, 09:49
Yes he was. I do not know the exact years off the top of my head. I will have to look at what paperwork I have of his. Navy

I'm sorry for your loss. When I came home from Vietnam in 68 my father told me I was stupid for fighting in "that fucking war." We argued and that was the last time I saw him. He died a few years ago and he can still go fuck himself.

toecutter1978
2017-01-23, 16:17
I think my mom would like to say that to me. I know she doesn't like the military. Every war/conflict is fought for multiple different reasons. People sometimes can only see the death and not beyond that. Some are so passive that any type of violence they believe is uncalled for. To these, I ask how do they feel about antibacterial soap and antibiotics as a whole? How about selective gardening. These they use and do, which kill other organisms. They don't like this pointed out.

Superman
2017-01-23, 17:11
I think my mom would like to say that to me. I know she doesn't like the military. Every war/conflict is fought for multiple different reasons. People sometimes can only see the death and not beyond that. Some are so passive that any type of violence they believe is uncalled for. To these, I ask how do they feel about antibacterial soap and antibiotics as a whole? How about selective gardening. These they use and do, which kill other organisms. They don't like this pointed out.

My father was simply an ass hole. I come from a long line of ass holes. It's sort of the family business.

john pickett
2017-01-23, 19:37
Some people sign up from a sense of patriotism.

toecutter1978
2017-01-24, 09:28
It's crazy how people react to things that go against their thinking

Superman
2017-01-24, 09:51
It's crazy how people react to things that go against their thinking

We Vietnam Vets have been dealing with that ever since we came home.

toecutter1978
2017-01-24, 10:04
We Vietnam Vets have been dealing with that ever since we came home.
You all have. Welcome home brother

Superman
2017-01-24, 11:10
You all have. Welcome home brother

It was a long road home for some. For many there was no sanctuary...any place. I had friends that took the A train. It was often prefaced with "it just doesn't end." That is the truth of the matter...it doesn't. There is no effective treatment or pill. The VA is worse than doing nothing. If people are so concerned about veteran suicide they would never leave it to the VA. From time to time the VA has claimed to have a new cure....usually magic dust was involved. What the VA offers is a mind fuck. At best they are temporary and some times cause what they claim they are trying to avoid. When it comes to wives either you have to tell them everything or nothing. Rest assured that if you tell them anything you will likely have to answer to it in divorce court and they will use it to deny you access to your children. It will be used to ruin your career and alienate your friends and relatives. If you opt for door number two you are called "non-commutative. ....and that boys and girls is why vets don't talk to you about such matters. My current wife knows more than most....but she's different than all the rest. :)

john pickett
2017-01-24, 12:19
Superman, you're lucky to have found her.

Superman
2017-01-24, 12:25

That's what she says. You do know that she is prone to violence?

john pickett
2017-01-24, 19:37
Never had the privilege of meeting her; so I'll have to take your word. Watch your 6.

Superman
2017-01-24, 19:44
Never had the privilege of meeting her; so I'll have to take your word. Watch your 6.

She has made it clear that we will get a divorce over my dead body. She knows where I sleep.

DesertReprobate
2017-01-24, 21:04
A lot of us signed up. It was close to the end of WWII and it was the thing to do. If they had just kept the politicians out of it, the war wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. I remember the first time in Japan and I realized it had only been 25 years since the bomb had been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki

toecutter1978
2017-01-24, 21:56
I talk to my wife, slowly allow myself to come out in sips. She can handle more than I give her credit.

toecutter1978
2017-01-24, 21:57
I have to agree

Superman
2017-01-24, 22:19
I have to agree

She's not all that nice. She keeps hitting me with her hiking sticks. Even when she isn't hiking.

toecutter1978
2017-01-25, 09:00
She's not all that nice. She keeps hitting me with her hiking sticks. Even when she isn't hiking.
We'll look at it this way, at least she is showing you attention. :-/

Superman
2017-01-25, 09:37
We'll look at it this way, at least she is showing you attention. :-/

Oh Lawd...I turn 70 today and I'll be lucky to survive it.

sheepdog
2017-01-25, 10:05

The yearly sex?

Superman
2017-01-25, 10:28
The yearly sex?

That some times is the difference between old or dead.

toecutter1978
2017-01-25, 10:52
Congratulations. Happy birthday!!

toecutter1978
2017-01-25, 10:54
The yearly sex?
They make pills for that now... Unless, Nevermind maybe I shouldn't ask..

Roche
2017-01-25, 12:01
The VA supplies popsicle sticks and duct tape.

toecutter1978
2017-01-25, 13:16
The VA supplies popsicle sticks and duct tape.
Thanks, now I can't get the image of Superman trying to Jerry rig a boner out of my head. Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Drink came out of my nose when I read that

sheepdog
2017-01-25, 13:35
Hahahaha

john pickett
2017-01-25, 16:12
Happy Birthday! Hope you make your wife happy too!

john pickett
2017-02-05, 23:29
Wow! What a game. Superman, you're right! Brady for President!

Superman
2017-02-06, 00:01

It looked hopeless. It was hard to see a path to victory. So many were sure it would go the other way. Then there was the football game.

DesertReprobate
2017-02-06, 00:22

But, Superman is a weapon

Superman
2017-02-06, 06:21
But, Superman is a weapon

Um....what?

Crikey
2017-02-06, 10:25

The game was rigged. It was a dishonest game and not worthy of the outcome. Sad!

#RiggedSuperBowl #HateBrady #HateBellicheck

toecutter1978
2017-02-06, 13:24
Want to know what's funny. In my first class is mainly women and they were talking about the football game. They asked what I thought of it. I didn't even know what time it came on yesterday, let alone watch it. The stares of disbelief. HAHAHA!

john pickett
2017-02-06, 14:17
Don't let that get around. You might be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail.

Superman
2017-02-06, 16:38
Want to know what's funny. In my first class is mainly women and they were talking about the football game. They asked what I thought of it. I didn't even know what time it came on yesterday, let alone watch it. The stares of disbelief. HAHAHA!

That right there would make most folks assume that you sit down to pee. NTHIAWWT

Superman
2017-02-06, 16:43
On our drive back from Massachusetts we stopped in Nashua, NH for breakfast. Almost every widow had something with the patriots logo hanging out of every window. I had my hearing aides in so I could hear the various conversations about the game. Both male and female patrons were all a glow. Most folks up this way would elect Brady as president. It was an amazing game. The Falcons were awesome....the Patriots were...Patriots.

toecutter1978
2017-02-06, 16:53
That right there would make most folks assume that you sit down to pee. NTHIAWWT
Helps keep the prostate healthy and strong. ;-)

toecutter1978
2017-02-06, 16:56
Late lunch. I forgot mine at home. It's sitting on the counter. Lines are still long on campus at all the food courts.

john pickett
2017-02-07, 10:50
This threads about as long as the one about gardens.

Superman
2017-02-07, 11:16
This threads about as long as the one about gardens.

Speaking of hiking....My sons gave me a real nice drone for my birthday. Apparently there is a learning curve to operate one without crashing into an in-intended object. I will admit that I was disappointed that there is no gun or flame thrower attached to it. The directions may have said to keep the drone level when you first plug in the battery. If you don't the drone thinks what ever you have the drone at is level. That cost me three propellers. When I hit things I have to hike to the drone. That is tiring.

Lugnut
2017-02-07, 11:44
Are you sure that at your age you reflexes are agile enough to handle a drone? :albertein

Superman
2017-02-07, 12:55
Are you sure that at your age you reflexes are agile enough to handle a drone? :albertein

I bought them each a drone for Christmas. We had a great time flying them. They observed my natural skills and bought me one that is...almost....idiot proff. I can throw mine in the air and it will right itself and hover automatically. If the battery gets low it will return and land in front of me. It will follow behind me or off to the side. The camera and screen are super clear. Even though I only fly mine in a park...it appears that even parks have trees around them. My issue seems to be dealing with initializing the drone. We flew it in gusting wind and the drone stayed amazingly stable. They paid a lot of money for my drone so they are figuring that they will be able to inherit it.

john pickett
2017-02-08, 10:05
Sounds like a dog with batteries.

toecutter1978
2017-02-08, 11:44
Sounds like a dog with batteries.
Now who's a good bot? Yes you are!!

Superman
2017-02-08, 11:50
Now who's a good bot? Yes you are!!

My drone is like the German shepherd I had. The drone is smarter than me and can do more tricks.

toecutter1978
2017-02-08, 21:40
The youngest boy wants a drone. We bought him one of those toy ones you can play with inside the house. He drives the cats nuts sometimes.

Superman
2017-02-08, 21:44
The youngest boy wants a drone. We bought him one of those toy ones you can play with inside the house. He drives the cats nuts sometimes.

I want a drone that can carry my pack as I hike. As I catch up to Lugnut in age I am becoming slower and lazier.

toecutter1978
2017-02-08, 22:23
I want a drone that can carry my pack as I hike.
Like a bot Sherpa

Superman
2017-02-08, 23:15
yes, because balloons didn't work as much as I'd hoped.

Lugnut
2017-02-09, 00:54
I want a drone that can carry my pack as I hike. As I catch up to Lugnut I'm becoming more handsome and wiser.

Fixed it for you.

Superman
2017-02-09, 00:56
Fixed it for you.

That's just silly. People usually say my only redeeming quality is that I have thumbs.

sheepdog
2017-02-09, 08:44
I want a drone that can carry my pack as I hike. As I catch up to Lugnut in age I am becoming slower and lazier.

Last time we hiked I had a drone.... I listened to you drone on and on.......

Superman
2017-02-09, 09:24
Last time we hiked I had a drone.... I listened to you drone on and on.......

Oh...Oh...but they aren't lies if you tell them when your hiking.....they're entertainment.

toecutter1978
2017-02-09, 09:39
Oh...Oh...but they aren't lies if you tell them when your hiking.....they're entertainment.
They're not lies IF the other person cannot prove they are not true.

Superman
2017-02-09, 09:44

When they bitch that much about your lies it's more better to just find another sucker to tell the lies to.

toecutter1978
2017-02-09, 10:18
When they bitch that much about your lies it's more better to just find another sucker to tell the lies to.
Sounds like they're just mad because you have better "So there I was!" Stories! Hahaha

Superman
2017-02-09, 11:15
Sounds like they're just mad because you have better "So there I was!" Stories! Hahaha

I would not want to have had some of Sheepdogs experiences.

Crikey
2017-02-09, 12:04

If a lie is told in the forest, does it make a sound?

Superman
2017-02-09, 12:29
If a lie is told in the forest, does it make a sound?

...only if a woman says it does.

toecutter1978
2017-02-09, 20:52
...only if a woman says it does.
But what if she is the one telling the fib?

Superman
2017-02-09, 21:06
But what if she is the one telling the fib?

OMG, I can't believe you said that out loud. There are women that monitor this site to find men to take on a one way ride to the swamp.

toecutter1978
2017-02-09, 22:02
OMG, I can't believe you said that out loud. There are women that monitor this site to find men to take on a one way ride to the swamp.
Don't worry my wife already gave me the proper correct training. Women are always right and they need access to all our monies.

Hahahaha!!!

Superman
2017-02-09, 23:33
Don't worry my wife already gave me the proper correct training. Women are always right and they need access to all our monies.

Hahahaha!!!

It was bad when they forced their way into our men only clubs but when they learned the secret hand shake we were dead.

toecutter1978
2017-02-10, 01:07
It was bad when they forced their way into our men only clubs but when they learned the secret hand shake we were dead.
Hey I don't know about you, but I prefer the soft hands of a woman giving me a "hand shake" over me any day of the week.

Superman
2017-02-10, 06:18
Hey I don't know about you, but I prefer the soft hands of a woman giving me a "hand shake" over me any day of the week.

All women are prone to violence.

toecutter1978
2017-02-10, 08:39
I'm just waiting for the night I wake up with a knife to my throat. Cold eyes staring down into me. I feel the steel of the blade move along with her pulse; not rapid or emotional, but calm, collected.

sheepdog
2017-02-10, 09:36
You can only wake up on fire once comfortably.

I have a good wife.

Superman
2017-02-10, 09:57
I'm just waiting for the night I wake up with a knife to my throat. Cold eyes staring down into me. I feel the steel of the blade move along with her pulse; not rapid or emotional, but calm, collected.

The first time that happened to me I was surprised. She backed of when I said..."yes mom, I will take the trash out." I don't know what it is with women. When I say I'll do something I will....they don't have to keep reminding me every month.

Superman
2017-02-10, 09:58
You can only wake up on fire once comfortably.

I have a good wife.

I meant to ask you. How did your wife's lobotomy work out? :)

toecutter1978
2017-02-10, 11:28
One day my wife will let me sleep a full night on the bed. She said if I behave and a really good boy I will be able to stay up there the whole night after she's done with me instead of going back to my cage. I like misbehaving sometimes.

john pickett
2017-02-11, 11:10
Got snow?

Superman
2017-02-11, 11:13
Got snow?

Oh yeah, I lost my snow shovel in the snow. The front steps are treacherous.

Superman
2017-02-11, 22:37
I got two snow shovels out of the barn today. Life is good

sheepdog
2017-02-11, 22:56
How on earth can you lose your snow shovel?

sheepdog
2017-02-11, 22:58
My snow blower is getting old. Prolly about 25 years. I wish it would die so I can get a new one....die snow blower die...

Superman
2017-02-12, 00:38
My snow blower is getting old. Prolly about 25 years. I wish it would die so I can get a new one....die snow blower die...

I had an old snow blower that parts would fall off as I used it. It barely threw the snow. My wife and sons pitched in and bought me a Honda. Hondas are sweet. It was the one with the track, not wheels. It always started on the first pull. They use so much salt up this way the body rotted. Then I bought an over sized orange on and we inherited a red one from Pat's dad. I've got enough snow blowers to last me the rest of my life. The thing I have to watch out for is kids take their parents ladders when the parent turns 80. All kids are evil.

Superman
2017-02-12, 02:48
Hal Moore died.

When I got to Vietnam in 1966 I asked the same question most FNGs asked "how bad does it get." I was told the story of the 1st Cav in the Ia Drang Valley in 1965. As time went by there were more stories that would make a grown mans butt pucker. Some of those can still keep me up late at night after all these years.

john pickett
2017-02-12, 11:13
I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you and thanks to Hal for your service.

toecutter1978
2017-02-12, 12:40
1/7 is having a huge service on Hood.