PDA

View Full Version : Hammock in in the snow

Cwciwatch
2012-12-03, 10:50
Recent winter camping trip. My brother and I Camped out last weekend, I slept in my hammock, he slept in his bivey sack. We both were warm but I think I may have been a bit more comfortable. :) it got down to 15 degrees.

His sleeping set up.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/yte2ezy7.jpg

My hammock set up.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/enusadaz.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/susatu7y.jpg

We had deer tenderloin cooking on the fire, and it was good.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/ujygama7.jpg

Also collected "rock tripe" or lichen. It tasted surprisingly good boiled.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/jemymu5e.jpg

Here is a close up view of my hammock and sleeping bag.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/yby3aqaj.jpg

Here is My brother and his set up

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/03/a8unabyz.jpg

This quality message was brought to you by a guy that hangs in the woods.

saimyoji
2012-12-03, 14:10
very cool. where were you?

sheepdog
2012-12-03, 16:52
nice.....

Cwciwatch
2012-12-03, 19:08
very cool. where were you?

Central NH

SGT Rock
2012-12-03, 20:18
Sweet. Is that an M&P in the holster?

Cwciwatch
2012-12-04, 07:42
Sweet. Is that an M&P in the holster?

Walther P22 in holster, Sterling 22 for fun, and a SigSauer 226 in my pack just in case lol. We didn't have far to hike from the truck so we brought more metal than usual. There are MANY coyotes in the area and we were hoping to get a chance to bring one home. My brother brought his 38 and a shotgun, my brother in law brought his 30-06 and his ruger 22 auto pistol. Got to have plenty of guns lol! All we saw was a very nervous squirrel and a bunch of wild turkeys. We could hear the coyotes but they stayed away.

Cuffs
2012-12-04, 08:13
Well you just stay up there then. A little ol coyote ain't that scary.

Ray
2012-12-04, 10:30
It was the squirrel's fault. He snitched on you. Should have taken him out.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-04, 11:01
Well you just stay up there then. A little ol coyote ain't that scary.

Nope not scary at all.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-04, 11:03
It was the squirrel's fault. He snitched on you. Should have taken him out.

I know, he would have made a nice breakfast.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-05, 07:31
Planning another trip out in a week or so. Can't wait. Going to me camping out and few miles in the woods. Going to have to pack light. Packing light is not something I am accustomed to. My old - 30 army bag with the bivey sack weighs 12 lbs by itself and takes up nearly the entire pack. The winter under quilt, rain fly and hammock weigh around 6 lbs and take up about as much space as a tent and sleeping pad. I still need to fit food and extra clothing. I have no idea how I am going to fit everything in or on the pack, it is a large backpack but fills up quickly. I suppose I could sleep in the bivey on the ground like the cool people do but I have been there and done that enough in my younger days to know the hammock is much easier on the back. We are planning to stay 3 days. The spot is pretty far north and in the mountains so it will be cold. How do you guys pack for cold weather trips that are longer than one night?

saimyoji
2012-12-05, 08:37
expensive lightweight gear.....my winter bag only weighs 2.5lbs.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-05, 09:10
if there is enough snow then a pulk sled helps a whole lot - or so I have been told

D'Artagnan
2012-12-05, 14:28
Is that an FJ40 in your avatar? Cool ride.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 07:38
Is that an FJ40 in your avatar? Cool ride.

Yes it is, 1972 :)

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 07:41
Yes it is, 1972 :)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/07/tyzamyda.jpg

Custom everything, fun old truck.

D'Artagnan
2012-12-07, 09:29
Diggin' the snorkel and Warn winch and it looks like you've upgraded the radiator fan too. What axles are you running?

SGT Rock
2012-12-07, 09:40
That is a cool truck. Looks like it might even actually go off pavement ;)

When I work a post I get a kick out of all the fancy 4WD trucks with winches and lift kits that you know will never go off pavement, never mind that the winch cable will never see any time off the spool.

Hog On Ice
2012-12-07, 09:52
is Amsteel now the winch cable of choice?

SGT Rock
2012-12-07, 10:10
It might be.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 22:02
is Amsteel now the winch cable of choice?

Amsteel is expensive so unless you are actually using the winch often it isn't popular. It is perfect in my opinion, it is light, small diameter, and super strong. It also doesn't backlash when it breaks, it just drops straight to the ground. It also doesn't get twisted, bent, or frayed. Nice stuff. Yes this truck has seen a lot of off road, bean on its roof twice and on all 4 sides at lease once each. I haven't been beating on it much for the last 2 years though. It is 40 years old.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 23:09
I made all my whoopee slings, suspension, guy lines and ridge line for my Hammocks, out of Amsteel the stuff is great.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 23:36
Diggin' the snorkel and Warn winch and it looks like you've upgraded the radiator fan too. What axles are you running?

I put the snorkel on mainly because I converted to a fuel injected engine from a newer 90s vintage Land cruiser FJ62 series and had no place to put the air box. It has been in water over the engine and didn't die do it works pretty well. The winch is as old as the truck, (1972) I rebuilt it and put on new Amsteel and a new motor, it pulls like crazy. I made the bumper. The axles are stock except completely rebuilt and with Longfield axle shafts. Ratcheting locker in rear. Shackle reversal, 1 ton crossover, high steer with from-behind-setup. The custom steering setup and different engine is what forced me to move the radiator and use an electric fan which pushes from the front.

It looks ugly but it is pretty well set up. It has been built up twice. The first go round it had 39 16.50 boggers and was basically a trailer queen. I wanted to drive it on the road so I put a whole new frame and suspension under it with 8 inches less lift, the upgraded steering and the shackle reversal which made it drive beautiful. It still goes well enough in the woods even with the smaller tires. It is fun to have.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 23:41

BTW, how in the world did you notice that it had a different radiator setup from that crappy picture? Good eyes I guess! :eek:

Cwciwatch
2012-12-07, 23:45
Thanks everyone, I am new to these forums and it is nice to find friendly people.

D'Artagnan
2012-12-14, 13:05
BTW, how in the world did you notice that it had a different radiator setup from that crappy picture? Good eyes I guess! :eek:

I've spent a fair amount of time riding ATV's on some gnarly trails and I've just learned to spot that sort of thing. You notice pretty quick which guys are serious off-roaders and which are just wannabes from how their rigs are set up. You also learn which ones to follow and which ones to avoid!

The company I work for made some aftermarket bumpers for the new FJ a couple years ago. Our customer was selling add-ons for the well-heeled. They were really beefy and I wondered how many of them would ever see off-road conditions and how many were just for show.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-14, 13:20
I've spent a fair amount of time riding ATV's on some gnarly trails and I've just learned to spot that sort of thing. You notice pretty quick which guys are serious off-roaders and which are just wannabes from how their rigs are set up. You also learn which ones to follow and which ones to avoid!

The company I work for made some aftermarket bumpers for the new FJ a couple years ago. Our customer was selling add-ons for the well-heeled. They were really beefy and I wondered how many of them would ever see off-road conditions and how many were just for show.

Very few see anything even close to off road use. My wife has a newer land cruiser and it has barely seen any trails, it will however be past to me when she gets another one and I will surely be taking it in the woods.

lambdahammock
2017-04-04, 21:39
That set up is a thing of beauty for the winter.

I need to step up and start venturing out next winter.

Looks like you had a great time, keep it up