PDA

View Full Version : Yet another chilly hang

Cwciwatch
2012-12-22, 10:00
My brother and I decided to do another winter hang trying out some different gear and

This time out it was a bit colder than the last time and we both slept in our hammocks. My hammock is home made along with my down under quilt, all my suspension, and the tarp.

My sleeping system consists of a latest generation military bag and a marmot bag as a down top quilt. Also had my home made down under quilt.

My brother was using his grand trunk hammock, a foam sleeping pad and a tarp I made. He hung one end of his hammock on a tree and the other from the giant Boulder

My brother was using a sub zero big anges bag and a fleece blanket.

We both were a little too warm so next trip we are going to use just the bags unless it is much colder. This trip out was around 14 degrees but warmed up considerably by morning and began raining ice pellets.

We had a nice fire and cooked an awesome stew.

We were close to our vehicle so I brought my cast iron Dutch oven and a ton of food .

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/22/dy5epagu.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/22/ta6e2uhe.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/22/ydevuvav.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/22/8eha2u8y.jpg

john pickett
2012-12-22, 19:42
man! that's sweet. I'm recovering from sciatica and lumbago. Hope to plan a little camp when the doc says ok.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-28, 20:25
man! that's sweet. I'm recovering from sciatica and lumbago. Hope to plan a little camp when the doc says ok.

We had fun. You should go to a place where you will be closer to your vehicle until you heal up. Hopefully you can get out soon.

Superman
2012-12-28, 20:28

You're ove 60. Life is over. Oh wait...is that negative?:angel:

SGT Rock
2012-12-28, 20:31
Making car camping look cool.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hog On Ice
2012-12-28, 21:59
car camping works - easy to carry your ASS to sit on in camp

JERMM
2012-12-29, 09:31
you people are crazy...that is all carry on

p.s. cool land cruiser

john pickett
2012-12-29, 12:33
yes, Cwciwatch. you do a good job of keeping us all on topic. Camping.

Cwciwatch
2012-12-31, 07:35
Our next trip out we are planning on going to a place about 2 miles out, no car camping there. In warmer weather it is no trouble but below zero in the mountains is a bit more work. We are trying to get used to our gear and work out the best way to pack everything before we head miles in the woods. For years we have packed light and have done a few winter, one night tent trips but have been cold every time. I am too old to hike 2 miles then freeze to the ground for a night. So we bought warmer gear and are trying everything out close to where we park before we go on longer trips. I slept on the ground in my new bag with just a Gortex bivy and it was well below zero, I was plenty warm so I am confident I can go out and stay warm. The bag and bivy weighs 9 freaking pounds alone though and do not compress too much. So now I am working on figuring out how and what to pack. Probably going to use a pulk sled.

PS.. Yes if you need to go car camping doing so in a 40 year old land cruiser at least looks a little cooler than than a Subaru I suppose. Lol!

sheepdog
2012-12-31, 09:26
Our next trip out we are planning on going to a place about 2 miles out, no car camping there. In warmer weather it is no trouble but below zero in the mountains is a bit more work. We are trying to get used to our gear and work out the best way to pack everything before we head miles in the woods. For years we have packed light and have done a few winter, one night tent trips but have been cold every time. I am too old to hike 2 miles then freeze to the ground for a night. So we bought warmer gear and are trying everything out close to where we park before we go on longer trips. I slept on the ground in my new bag with just a Gortex bivy and it was well below zero, I was plenty warm so I am confident I can go out and stay warm. The bag and bivy weighs 9 freaking pounds alone though and do not compress too much. So now I am working on figuring out how and what to pack. Probably going to use a pulk sled.

PS.. Yes if you need to go car camping doing so in a 40 year old land cruiser at least looks a little cooler than than a Subaru I suppose. Lol!

Zacktly