PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight hammock suspension, DIY UCRs for less than 1 ounce per line

SGT Rock
2012-12-24, 20:25
I made a video today of how my personal hammock suspension is put together for you ultralight hikers out there. Be advised I don't follow the "normal" safety recommendations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch-bqE7OQZw

Hog On Ice
2012-12-24, 21:45
hey Rock - You're gonna die. LOL great video

wrt to your 0.5 inch taper - you are still doing it better than I do - I just lay the end to be tapered on the cutting board and take a sharp knife and cut the line with a longish diagonal - typically a bit over 0.25 inches and only rarely up to 0.5 inches - in other words I don't pick out the lines to be cut I just cut the line on the diagonal

for finishing the ends with the backsplice I just cut the line off before milking the splice - I may waste an inch or so but its easier for me to do the splice if I have that extra - as you said - its not weight bearing so no need for a good taper

for putting in the friction knot I tie the knot then go and finish the end with a backsplice - its easier to tie the knot before doing the backsplice because again I have more line to work with and I don't mind wasting an inch or so when I cut off the line before milking the finished end

the knife I use for this stuff is a ceramic paring knife - a very sharp knife that makes clean cuts dyneema easily

SGT Rock
2012-12-24, 21:50
Sounds like you're gonna die too.

Those ceramic knives are cool.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hog On Ice
2012-12-24, 22:18
well heck if the suspension breaks it won't be the first time I've landed on the ground unexpectedly - I do admit however that it really helps to know reflexively how to fall

john pickett
2012-12-25, 18:42
Hey, I know how to fall! Can I play too?
Now you can ignore me again.

Superman
2012-12-25, 18:47
well heck if the suspension breaks it won't be the first time I've landed on the ground unexpectedly - I do admit however that it really helps to know reflexively how to fall

Do you mean alone or with a partner? I just wanted to get the imagery right.:angel:

Hog On Ice
2012-12-25, 18:52
well with a partner it would be a fail - with a hammock it would be a fall

Superman
2012-12-25, 18:58
well with a partner it would be a fail - with a hammock it would be a fall

That seems like a subtle difference. Are you saying that one leads to the lose of a canoe and the other just...falls?

Hog On Ice
2012-12-25, 19:16
fall on the ground hurts less than the partner fail

sheepdog
2012-12-25, 20:31
fall on the ground hurts less than the partner fail

nttawwt

Rosaleen
2012-12-26, 11:13
Great video, SGT. Rock!

About a month ago, I PM'd you that I was buying a second-hand Cuben tarp. It came with no lines, which is not a big deal. I had some Zing-It that I used for its UCR suspension lines and ordered some Glowire for the tie outs. Well, I hadn't actually SEEN Gowire until I opened the package. I may be venturing into the anal-retentive by thinking that the Glowire is realy neat but too heavy for this set up. I'm considering now ordering additonal Zing-It to make the side tie outs as as UCRs.

In your experience, should UCRs work for this? I'm curious as to how they might hold up with any flapping due to wind. Since the fly shouldn't sag with a person's weight in the hammock, as it does when clipped to the hammock's suspension, that consideration should be covered. It looked like the sliding tension knot you added to your UCRs in this recent video might have been "tautlines." One of these on each UCR might be an added insurance for this application.

Happy Gear Tinkering!

Rosaleen

SGT Rock
2012-12-26, 11:53
Great video, SGT. Rock!

About a month ago, I PM'd you that I was buying a second-hand Cuben tarp. It came with no lines, which is not a big deal. I had some Zing-It that I used for its UCR suspension lines and ordered some Glowire for the tie outs. Well, I hadn't actually SEEN Gowire until I opened the package. I may be venturing into the anal-retentive by thinking that the Glowire is realy neat but too heavy for this set up. I'm considering now ordering additonal Zing-It to make the side tie outs as as UCRs.

In your experience, should UCRs work for this? I'm curious as to how they might hold up with any flapping due to wind. Since the fly shouldn't sag with a person's weight in the hammock, as it does when clipped to the hammock's suspension, that consideration should be covered. It looked like the sliding tension knot you added to your UCRs in this recent video might have been "tautlines." One of these on each UCR might be an added insurance for this application.

Happy Gear Tinkering!

Rosaleen
Rosaleen this is a great question. I do not think UCRs are good for this, but not because I have tried it. I saw a better solution and my SUL hang this Spring (where I also saw mule tape for the first time) and I've switched my tarp over to it. This system uses lines attached to the tarp by short prusiks. This chart shows how that works with Ti dutch hooks for my tarp ridge:

http://theultimatehang.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/tarp-sgt-rock-style2.jpg

For the side tie outs, imagine the hook replaced with a fixed loop that you can put over the head of the stake. You put that over and then adjust the tension at the tarp side of the line since the prusik connects that line to the tarp. The cool feature with this is you can adjust tarp line tension on each line from under the tarp in case it starts to slip.

For tying on the prusiks my new favorite SUL line is 200# fishing line. 200# is probably overkills, you might be able to go with 80 or something. http://stores.ebay.com/BIG-FISH-SPORTS/Braided-Dacron-Black-/_i.html?_fsub=4086545

I love this stuff. I don't think this is my exact brand.

Rosaleen
2012-12-26, 13:53
Thanks so much, SGT. Rock!

So, I was about to look up the marine supply recommended at HF when I checked my E-mail and saw your response. Fixed loops on the side tie-outs were part of the plan, but not fishing line. Dacron, huh? I think some of hubby's bowstring supplies are also Dacron. They may not be hollow-core, so the fixed loops might have to be tied, not buried as with the hollow-core rigging ropes. I can live with either. Placing the adjustment end at the tarp edge so tension can be adjusted from cover is a great idea. After checking out bowstring materials on-hand, I will let you know if using some seems plausible.

I may yet order more Zing-It and maybe more DynaGlide. I just love the stuff.

SGT Rock
2012-12-26, 16:59
I know, splicing is fun.

Rosaleen
2012-12-29, 13:04
Last night I finally made it to hubby's second home, a local archery range, to rummage through his extensive archery supplies. In his collection of bow string-making supplies, I found this BCY No. 62 braided center serving (http://www.bcyfibers.com/Serving.php)

It is a Spectra/Dyneema/Polyester blend that holds a taut line and didn’t separate as I untied a few knots. The .25 dia size is rated at 52 lb break strength. That may be strong enough for a tarp. I’d prefer that the lines break before it rips… A 60 yd spool is listed $15.99 plus shipping at Lancaster Archery Supply.

Rosaleen

SGT Rock
2012-12-29, 13:17
Looks perfect.