PDA

View Full Version : BBQ rattle snake

Oneriver
2003-11-10, 10:29
Any trekers out there know who to properly dress a rattle snake for BBQ..? No I don't mean in a bow tie, I mean to eat..Not that I want to go around eating rattle snakes, but this came up in a campfire discussion and I thought I had the definitive process..step one: cut the head off. two: skin the snake. Three: cut the tail. Four: cook..I really have only one burning question...Does the snake need to be gutted?

john pickett
2003-11-10, 12:57
It really depends on whether you like the taste of Rattlesnake S***.
If you do, leave the entrails intact. If not, gut the dang thing.
John Pickett

wanderer
2003-11-10, 16:50
Not sure, but I would imagine that gutting it like a fish then cooking it on the bone and picking the meat on after it is cooked. Oh, cut the head off first and be careful of the fangs
I know someone who catches them, freezes them then shipps them to a resturant in Oaklahoma.
I must say it is quite tasty:D

Oneriver
2003-11-10, 17:12
I wuz wondering about gutting, cause some fish can be cooked whole then the flesh can be eaten to the bone w/out gutting...I would guess that to gut a snake one you would cut from the anus all the up and then spoon out the guts or butterfly the whole thing..?
I have been told that rattle snake tastes like spotted owl.

doc
2003-11-11, 20:21
Uh-Uh, Baby Snow Seal

If you gut it, you have more choices as to how to cook it.

Rattle Snake Recipes (http://www.silentskulls.com/Recipes.html)

and another (tastes like chicken) (http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubcd/b648-w.html#SNAKE)

Hell, why not one more. good eatin' to ya (http://www.exoticmeats.com/recipes.html)

Oneriver
2003-11-17, 10:50
Venom tequila... who woulda thunk..can't waite to try it....Its 4 below here in Anchorage this morning and I'm thinkin bout those Blue Mountains and warmer temps...thnx doc

cldphoto
2003-11-17, 14:54
Those the Arizona Blue Mountains? Can't say it's TOO warm down here. After all, this weekend was a bit of a weenie shrinker -- it got all the way down to the 40's at night in the mountains.

(heh, heh)

Oneriver
2003-11-17, 15:27
Thats rough the 40's...(yes Blue Mts Aridzona)..yesterday where I live in Anchorage (Muldoon area) it was 9 below zero...that shrinks alittle more than a weenie, but I'm not complaining...

doc
2003-11-20, 13:52
I'm in the Blue hills of MA and it is still warm enough to wear a kilt and not worry much about getting caught after hours without a jacket.

rickboudrie
2003-11-20, 19:15
Doc, Speaking of them Blue Hills south of Boston, you might want to chaeck out "Landscape with Reptiles". Don't eat any, though. Much too tough, and we really need to build up the herd. --Rick B

From Kirkus Reviews regarding the book:

Highly engrossing account of a small group of rattlesnakes just south of Boston. The Blue Hills, within sight of the Boston statehouse, are deep in mixed pine and hardwood, with miles of southern-facing rocky outcrops, ideal for coldblooded creatures to sun themselves. Here, Palmer takes us for long rambles and reveries: How, for instance, does it feel to be the victim of Crotalus horridus? In a strikingly original and sympathetic passage, he puts us inside a chipmunk's mind as the animal is bitten by a rattler and dies. The rattlesnakes of the Blue Hills are so reclusive that Palmer tramped the woods for years, never seeing one until he went in May to their stony lairs, where they were emerging from hibernation. Rattlesnakes are rare there for one reason only: ruthless extermination. Palmer has traced this history back to the Massachusetts Bay Company. He quotes Cotton Mather: ``Our Trained Bands in some of our Countery towns...carry on a War with the Snakes....'' The 18th century saw bounties for all sorts of creatures (including 100 pounds for the scalp of an adult male Maine Indian, and 50 for the same of a woman or child). By examining which towns had higher bounties, Palmer is able to estimate where rattlesnakes were most prevalent. Among a great number of interesting essays, Palmer gives a complete history of bite treatment (including such 19th-century methods as a ``half pint of bourbon every 5 minutes, until a quart had been taken''); visits with writers who defended Crotalus, from Thoreau to Oliver Wendell Holmes; and offers introductions to the rattlesnakes' silent US relatives--the pit vipers--which include the widely dreaded fer-de-lance. Prime nature writing, capably focused through multiple views of natural history, ecology, medicine, history, evolution, and anthropology. -- Copyright 1992, Kirkus Associates, LP. All rights reserved.

doc
2003-11-21, 12:55
Thanks dude