PDA

View Full Version : The Forgotten Art of Postholing.

JAK
2012-12-31, 08:53
... at least for me anyways.

Had a pretty good trudge on the paper route this morning, after the foot of snow plus drifts over the weekend and some folks still digging out as they are on Holiday Break with no hurry. 9F, so a good test of trail conditions where its too awkward or too irregular for skis or snowshoes, and there are places you can walk fast or trot but other places you have to trudge or even post hole or swim for it.

Went with my light leather ankle boots. They only weigh about 14oz each after I resoled them with just a thin rubber strip. They have enough room for one pair of medium wool socks and they are warm enough to keep snow from melting through them, and light and flexible enough that I can flex my foot, while still getting enough protection and support to be confident and not have to pussy foot around.

Tricky thing is keeping snow from getting down inside from above. The ideal thing would be something that right on up, like a light weight breathable nylon hiking pant that can actually zip onto the boot/trail runner all the way around and not possibly let any snow in or up or down or whatever. Snug, with just enough room for whatever layers of socks and leggings you happen to be wearing.

The real test is when you are out all day, so whatever snow gets in does have time to melt and then cause a thermal break and melt some more, and also long enough that you don't really want to have cold wet feet. Anyone can hack cold wet feet for a few hours, especially if you can change back into dry stuff and hang and dry the wet stuff. But when out for days, and minimizing weight, it doesn't make sense to have any breaks in the armour because you have to make up with it with even heavier clothing in the other areas of your body and that just slows you down more and creates problems of its own.

john pickett
2012-12-31, 10:14
Pat McManus wrote about his stepfather post-holing, though in that case it was while crossing a beaver dam. he said his stepfather took to lurking around the beaver dam with a loaded shotgun after he recovered.

sheepdog
2012-12-31, 10:15
Nothing like doing a one legger down a beaver hole.

Cuffs
2012-12-31, 11:14
Pat McManus wrote about his stepfather post-holing, though in that case it was while crossing a beaver dam. he said his stepfather took to lurking around the beaver dam with a loaded shotgun after he recovered.

McManus wrote some great books!
Crazy Eddie, rancid Crabtree
Kid camping
Gift fish.

john pickett
2013-01-01, 20:47
He's still writing great books! I have Avalanche!, The Blight Way, and Kerplunk sitting on my bookshelf. Read The Double-Jack murders but don't own that one YET!

warraghiyagey
2013-01-03, 11:57

ummmm.....

Hog On Ice
2013-01-03, 12:57
well will the wonders never cease ...

Superman
2013-01-03, 13:04
ummmm.....

Hey! I remember you. Wait...maybe that was on a far off distant planet?

Hog On Ice
2013-01-03, 13:07
hey Superman you have 4120 more to go

Superman
2013-01-03, 13:10
hey Superman you have 4120 more to go

OH man... say something rude so he'll go away...so I can catch up.:angel:

Austin
2013-01-03, 14:40

Austin
2013-01-03, 14:41

ummmm.....

OH man... say something rude so he'll go away...so I can catch up.:angel:

Damn. Frickychick musta really let herself go....

Superman
2013-01-03, 14:48
Damn. Frickychick musta really let herself go....

I said rude...not crazy.

Austin
2013-01-03, 14:55
I said rude...not crazy.

Oh he won't respond. He is too askeeered!

woodsy
2013-01-03, 15:15
ummmm.....

Ya big troublemaker,
Its all your fault i got put on censored post status over WB.

Hog On Ice
2013-01-03, 15:38
not really - its ATTrolls fault for running it the way he does