PDA

View Full Version : lost hikers

Sgt.Krohn
2013-01-14, 19:46
Air Force veteran and his 2 sons die while hiking Missouri trail

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/14/air-force-veteran-and-his-2-sons-die-while-hiking-missouri-trail/

Skidsteer
2013-01-14, 19:58
What a damn shame.

Bearpaw
2013-01-14, 20:36
I can't imagine. My prayers are with his family.

Roots
2013-01-14, 20:39
Shit... Sad... But I have to say I would NEVER head out on any trail in the winter months without plenty of backup equipment especially if I had my daughter with me. I hate it so bad for the family!!!

Cuffs
2013-01-14, 20:48
Tragic. Left wife and 3 other kids.

Says he was an 'experienced' hiker... Wonder what qualifies as experienced these days...

cool breeze
2013-01-14, 20:59
Ask Tin Man.

Roots
2013-01-14, 21:19
Ask Tin Man.

+1 Coolbreeze

Roots
2013-01-14, 21:20
Tragic. Left wife and 3 other kids.

Says he was an 'experienced' hiker... Wonder what qualifies as experienced these days...

I thought the same. Such a horrible situation that sounds like it could have been avoided. I wonder if he had a map. I don't think it said.

woodsy
2013-01-14, 21:34
What a bummer, Its one thing when you take your own life due to ill preparedness but a whole different thing when you take someone(s) with you. The kids deserved better........So much for machoism

SGT Rock
2013-01-15, 00:47
Man, that is a really sad story.

JAK
2013-01-15, 08:31
Makes me sick thinking about it. Day hikes can be dangerous.
Another thing easily overlooked is the drive home after a long hike.
Thoughts and prayers for man and his boys and for the family.

D'Artagnan
2013-01-15, 09:51
Tragic for all involved. You just never know.

Mfleming
2013-01-15, 10:04
Terribly sad :(

sheepdog
2013-01-15, 15:12
I thought the same. Such a horrible situation that sounds like it could have been avoided. I wonder if he had a map. I don't think it said.
Or some basic survival equipment. A small belt pack and a little knowledge could have saved their lives. I never day hike without my belt pack.

SGT Rock
2013-01-15, 15:14
I made a small 10 essentials pack for day hikes, but I've left it in the car many times. This sort of hits it home that it could happen at any time.

saimyoji
2013-01-15, 15:49
I made a small 10 essentials pack for day hikes, but I've left it in the car many times. This sort of hits it home that it could happen at any time.

Wanna post whats in it?

SGT Rock
2013-01-15, 16:02
Not today. I'm a little busy. Maybe when things settle down some.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

sheepdog
2013-01-15, 16:17
Mine contains; space blanket, water proof matches, mini bic lighter, fire starter, knife, 1 quart zip lock baggie, water purification tabs, Sierra cup(old school but I like it), instant coffee, and granola bar.

Lugnut
2013-01-15, 16:56
No snickers? You'll never make it!

SGT Rock
2013-01-15, 17:04
I caught a little break since I'm getting this draining the basement thing down.

FWIW, I've seen various lists of the 10 essentials, some don't make sense to me because they include sun glasses and sunscreen. Must be a west thing...

1. Shelter
2. Water
3. Food
4. Fire
5. Knife
6. signal
7. Navigation
8. clothing
9. light
10. first aid

So with that as a starting point:

1. Shelter: space blanket and poncho tarp. I also carry some string in there, about 25' I think.
2. Water: water bottle for the hike and some iodine pills
3. Food: some trail mix and granola bars usually.
4. Fire: waterproof matches, lighter, and some fire starter like the wet fire stuff.
5. Knife - basic Swiss army knife.
6. Signal: cell phone, whistle, and a small signal mirror
7. Navigation: small compass on a zipper pull. Should have a local area map. My phone also has a GPS these days.
8. Clothing: I've got a lightweight polypro top and a disposable poncho in there.
9. Light: Mini mag light with Li batteries and some spares. I think there is also one of those little LEDs in there.
10. First aid kit: some band-aids, neosporin, pepto pills, immodium, naproxen, tape, and some gauze pads all in a zip lock.

That is about it off the top of my head. I did have a metal cup in there, but it wasn't as small as a sierra cup. A sierra cup would be a good idea.

Skidsteer
2013-01-15, 17:15
Sunglasses I can understand in some situations. Snow blindness can be a serious threat to survival. Sunscreen? Not so much.

woodsy
2013-01-15, 17:38
I've been laughed at for packing overnight stuff on a day hike, each to his own, specially in these parts.

Skidsteer
2013-01-15, 17:41
I've been laughed at for packing overnight stuff on a day hike, each to his own, specially in these parts.

Seems to me it's much more dangerous to go on dayhike than a backpacking trip, if news reports can be trusted.

woodsy
2013-01-15, 17:45
Seems to me it's much more dangerous to go on dayhike than a backpacking trip, if news reports can be trusted.

I think you're on to something !

sheepdog
2013-01-15, 18:09
Mine contains; space blanket, water proof matches, mini bic lighter, fire starter, knife, 1 quart zip lock baggie, water purification tabs, Sierra cup(old school but I like it), instant coffee, and granola bar.

I forgot to mention my compass.

Roots
2013-01-15, 18:16
since i live at pisgah national forest, i take it pretty serious about taking essentials day hiking. we are constantly having wilderness response going out to save people that are not prepared. it is very easy to get lost in pisgah. i would rather be safe than sorry and this story proves it.

Skidsteer
2013-01-15, 18:20
since i live at pisgah national forest, i take it pretty serious about taking essentials day hiking. we are constantly having wilderness response going out to save people that are not prepared. it is very easy to get lost in pisgah. i would rather be safe than sorry and this story proves it.

Yep. If they had been backpacking, no big deal. They would've put their extra clothes on, set up a tent/shelter, and crawled in the sleeping bags with something hot to eat.

Cool story to tell Mom instead of the tradgedy it turned out to be.

SGT Rock
2013-01-15, 18:45
Exactly. There was a story up here in the Smokies (before I moved here) of a guy that froze to death within a mile of the parking lot where his car was parked. I know I've got the pack and still don't always take it when I should. Fortunately I've never got that far out into trouble zone.

Cuffs
2013-01-15, 18:49
Every time Im out on the Pinhoti and I pass thru a couple of the campgrounds, I see families with kids walking back from way further than they should have ventured. Usually toting a half empty water bottle between the 4 or 5 of them...
"But its only a couple miles to see that shelter"
Im guessing folks dont realize just how long that couple miles is going to take nor do they know the terrain...

This should not have happened...

JAK
2013-01-15, 20:32
Nice essentials kit Rock. You have to be extra careful with kids because they can slow you down and confuse your thinking. Not judging just saying from personal experience with my own daughter I've misjudge time quite often. She is a great hiker too, just tends to stop and explore alot sometimes, which is what kids do so you have to plan for that, and I often forget to account for that. She is older now and we are more into paddling at the moment. Some issues there also, even though she is a good paddler, planning for two is alot more complicated than planning for one. Easier to find yourself underprepared also because there are often delays in planning, or when you finally do get a chance and they are willing you don't have much time before they might change there mind. Again not judging. More like grieving. There but for the Grace of God go I, and my daughter Margaret. Very sad.

JAK
2013-01-15, 20:34
Putting a kit together like Rocks, one for each vehicle.

Tin Man
2013-01-15, 21:57
Ask Tin Man.

Yep, I have over 100 nights in the woods and over 400 miles of day hikes and overnight hikes with a troop full of kids that I take a personal oath to keep safe. I take more than the minimum training and start every hike with a safety first discussion/question and answer. Thanks for the recognition.

Superman
2013-01-15, 22:03
Yep, I have over 100 nights in the woods and over 400 miles of day hikes and overnight hikes with a troop full of kids that I take a personal oath to keep safe. I take more than the minimum training and start every hike with a safety first discussion/question and answer. Thanks for the recognition.

:adore:

SGT Rock
2013-01-15, 22:04
I know what you mean about kids. I've also noticed that during the start of the day I have a hard time keeping up with them. By the end of the day they are dragging ass and I'm trying to push to camp.

Tin Man
2013-01-16, 05:11
I know what you mean about kids. I've also noticed that during the start of the day I have a hard time keeping up with them. By the end of the day they are dragging ass and I'm trying to push to camp.

Yep. This is actually my biggest safety concern - boys getting too far ahead. Sometimes they miss a trail junction and follow the wrong path no matter how much I tell them to watch for blazes, signs, etc and stop when they are not sure. Fortunately, they know to check in every 20 minutes or face me later where I chew them a new one. When this happens, I explain our safety rules are not like some school rule about no spitting, but about keeping them alive in the real world where things can very dicey very quickly and I use a story like this to take the point home. They get very contrite very quickly when they hear what I have to say.

john pickett
2013-01-16, 10:28
Tinman,
We need more men like you. Thank you for your service.
Respectfully,
John Pickett

saimyoji
2013-01-16, 11:24
He's a boy scout chaperone, not an Army Ranger....

Cuffs
2013-01-16, 11:25

I work with a similar group of teens. Its like herding cats. He needs thanks.

sheepdog
2013-01-16, 12:36

Yep, Tin Man's job is a lot harder and he is much more likely to be killed by friendly fire. Also they do not practice no one left behind; boy scout moms will leave your body where it falls.

john pickett
2013-01-16, 15:55
"He's a boy scout chaperone, not an Army Ranger"
I worked one summer at a boy scout camp. Army Ranger takes less patience and
you have better Medical and better pay.

sheepdog
2013-01-16, 16:10
This got me to thinking about my kit. I have added a small ball of mason twine, a poncho, an LED light ( good call on those Rock), a bandanna, and some tp.

SGT Rock
2013-01-16, 17:03
Forgot about that. My kit also has some tp in it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Hog On Ice
2013-01-16, 17:53
Rock, you ever get around to trying that flat pack TP I sent you?

SGT Rock
2013-01-16, 18:12
I've wiped my butt with it a few times. Seems to get the poop off fine. I don't know if I find it any more an advantage to roll, but it does remind me of using the MRE paper somewhat.

Hog On Ice
2013-01-16, 18:22
its more of a carry only what you need and use less sort of thing - its easy to just grab the amount that one might need when packing up and put it in the ziplock and in use its more like leaves in that its a wipe, peel off top leaf (sheet), drop leaf, repeat with remaining leaves/sheets

SGT Rock
2013-01-16, 18:27
On that you are absolutely correct.

SGT Rock
2013-01-16, 19:18
Something else I forgot to mention is a small bottle of alcohol hand sanitizer. I'm sure there are a few odds and ends in there if I pulled it out I would find. Right now the pack is apart because I was helping someone with a hammock poncho tarp plan and that was the poncho tarp I carried in there.

Bearpaw
2013-01-16, 20:46
The nice about hand sanitizer is that it is multi-use. If you've ever tried to light an Esbit tab on a windy day, you know it can be pretty frustrating. A line of hand sanitizer torches quickly and burns long enough to get the tab going.

Hog On Ice
2013-01-16, 20:51
yeah I know what you mean - I was recently trying esbit to see if it would work for me for winter use and lighting it was a serious problem on a moderately windy day - I finally went and got a lighter for pipes and the jet was good enough so I could light the cube when it is inside the windscreen - ie lighter upside down with my hand above the cube.