PDA

View Full Version : Overdue hiker found dead in Smokies

SGT Rock
2013-01-16, 20:03
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/jan/16/overdue-hiker-found-dead-in-smokies/

Rangers today discovered the body of hiker who had been reported overdue after he failed to meet a friend Monday afternoon.The approximately 50-year-old man, whose name has not been released pending positive identification and notification of family, was found dead at the Tricorner Knob Shelter in Great Smoky Mountains National Park early this afternoon, according to a news release today from park spokeswoman Dana Soehn.
The cause of death does not appear to be suspicious, she said.
The victim set off from Newfound Gap Saturday morning on a 30-mile hike along the Appalachian Trail to Davenport Gap in North Carolina.
"The hiker was reported overdue Monday afternoon by a friend when he failed to show up at Davenport Gap," according to the news release. "Rangers initiated an investigation at that time. Rangers were searching trails in the area when the discovery was made today."
The Swain County (N.C.) Medical Examiner's Office is assisting in the investigation.
This is the second death reported in the national park this week. A 34-year-old Michigan woman was killed Tuesday when her vehicle collided with a National Park Service pickup along Newfound Gap Road.
More details as they develop online and in Thursday's News Sentinel.

Hog On Ice
2013-01-16, 20:09
was that the same shelter Green Mtn Man died in a few years ago?

Cuffs
2013-01-16, 20:10
I JUST saw an article about an AT-hopeful hiker that was last known to be in Dalonaga that has not been seen for a while, but for the life of me, I cannot find that article...

Skidsteer
2013-01-16, 20:55
I JUST saw an article about an AT-hopeful hiker that was last known to be in Dalonaga that has not been seen for a while, but for the life of me, I cannot find that article...

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/person/viewMissingPerson-117890736.a

Lugnut
2013-01-16, 23:30
was that the same shelter Green Mtn Man died in a few years ago?

Bluff Mt