PDA

View Full Version : fosters can info, please

tramp
2013-01-29, 08:27
For those of you who use the fosters can pot, paint? Or no paint ? What paint ? Wrap? Or no wrap? What wrap? Did you use a side cut can opener and use the top as the lid? Or cut out the top, and use the top from anotherfosters can as the lid ? Or make your own lid ? What stove do you use with the fosters pot ?
Sorry for all the questions, going to put together my cook kit and I want to get it right. Tks.

Hog On Ice
2013-01-29, 09:17
well most of the questions also apply to the Heineken pot also so here is what I did for the Heineken pot - the only paint on the pot was the screen printing from the mfg - I did not use a wrap (used a 4 folded bandana, 16 layers, to grip pot) - I chopped the top off and made my own lid - I used an alcohol stove with a tea light candle tin burner, foil bottom reflector, hardware cloth pot support, aluminum can side walls crimped together for a windscreen

tramp
2013-01-29, 22:18
well most of the questions also apply to the Heineken pot also so here is what I did for the Heineken pot - the only paint on the pot was the screen printing from the mfg - I did not use a wrap (used a 4 folded bandana, 16 layers, to grip pot) - I chopped the top off and made my own lid - I used an alcohol stove with a tea light candle tin burner, foil bottom reflector, hardware cloth pot support, aluminum can side walls crimped together for a windscreen thank you for your info. I wish I could get the heineken pot but as thay are no more. I'm looking into a v8 can stove to use with the fosters pot , can top as lid. Tks

Hog On Ice
2013-01-29, 22:25
before any other burner try a small v8 can chopped off and just use that as an burner - ie no side jets, no top to burner, no stiff inside - its just a convenient container used as an open burner for the alcohol

tramp
2013-01-30, 03:29
Like a cat stove ? Open with holes around it ? Pot stand or no pot stand ?

Superman
2013-01-30, 04:54
before any other burner try a small v8 can chopped off and just use that as an burner - ie no side jets, no top to burner, no stiff inside - its just a convenient container used as an open burner for the alcohol

I've used an open little wiener can in an esbit frame for years. It's simple and it works. I carry the same small soda bottle for the alcohol that I did when I used a trangia stove.

Hog On Ice
2013-01-30, 07:16
Like a cat stove ? Open with holes around it ? Pot stand or no pot stand ?

not like a cat stove, no holes around the can, with a pot stand

the hardware cloth pot stand I used was sized to fit the diameter of the depression in the bottom of the Heineken can (approx 15 0.5 inch squares around by 3 high) this made for a very stable pot stand - depending on where you chop the V8 can you may need a pot stand that is a little taller (4 squares or maybe 5 - experiment and see which one works better for you)

the reason for no holes around the can is that you want to concentrate the heat under the pot - side jets/vents send too much heat up the sides of the narrow pot/Foster's can - the idea is to get a boil of the water with the minimum alcohol - I was able to boil 1.75 cups of water (just what I needed for a Knorr side in a zip lock bag) using 16 ml of alcohol (one tea light candle tin full) during the warmer months

Rosaleen
2013-01-30, 12:13
It isn't as light as using just a bandana, but I added a couple of high temp silicone pads a little over half-way up my beer can's sides. As long as I haven't let the stove flames lick up the sides, I can usually hold the pot by the pads to pick it up and pour water or to drink from the pot.

My beer can was obtained second-hand, so the top was already popped. I used a side-cutter to remove the lid, then taped the popped part down with aluminum tape and tied on a piece of a leather shoe lace for a lid handle.

Some silcone wrist bands fit the lip as a guard to avoid burned lips. The right silicone band with a lid from the old-style yogurt containers (no longer sold) makes a leak-tight seal for a soaking device or a drink mix shaker. (HOLD that top...) Someone posted that he found a pet food accessory lid that might also work.

I'm lucky enough to have one of SGT Rock's TiPods and stove, so I use that set up with alcohol or skip the stove and use hexamine pellets. I also carry a small piece of foil-wrapped corrugated cardboard to use as a reflector/insulator. It helps with stove efficiency and is the bottom of my cozy system.

The cozy-wrapped pot fits into a cut down 2 L soda bottle which protects the pot and is a great water-dipper and wash basin. (I'll never forget a newbie fellow backpacker's face when I pulled it out and used it as he was using his inflatable sink. My wash basin was far more compact to carry, lighter, faster to access, and cost me the $.05 refund. I had helped him earlier by sewing his hip belt back to his pack. His heavy gear may have contributed to its failure.) Carrying no basin is lighter, but it is part of a multi-use system, and is very light. Sometimes I'll carry a cut-down 3 L bottle and stuff the extra space with other items.

BTW-The same stove cozy for my can/pot more or less fits around my Gatorade bottle to keep it warm or cool longer. It is really nice to have a leak-safe hot water bottle by my feet on a cold night, especially if I've hiked in a cold rain.