PDA

View Full Version : Trail washout on the BMT

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 11:10
I just got this yesterday. It looks like all the flooding has washed out a section of the BMT. This is about 2 miles south of the Hiwassee Scenic River Outfitter on Lost Creek. For those that have hiked this section you may remember it. It is one of my favorite sections as I think it is one of the prettiest sections of the trail. The trail is still passable, but be careful.

We will probably schedule a work trip to fix this soon.

Cuffs
2013-02-03, 11:17
Damn. I been thru there twice.

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 11:23
Hey Cuffs, I just got feedback from a hiker that did the BMT and then connected to the Pinhoti - she says the Pinhoti desperately needs a thru-hikers guide.

Hog On Ice
2013-02-03, 13:51
+1 for Rock

btw the pic reminds me of how some of the trails in the Sipsey look after a high water event - for example 200 along Burton Creek

Cuffs
2013-02-03, 16:14
Hey Cuffs, I just got feedback from a hiker that did the BMT and then connected to the Pinhoti - she says the Pinhoti desperately needs a thru-hikers guide.

A work in progress...

Bearpaw
2013-02-03, 17:55
That section will be pretty much in my back yard if I get approved for the home loan I'm seeking. It looks like a lot of brush clearing and new side-hill cutting is not far in the future.

Superman
2013-02-03, 18:22
That section will be pretty much in my back yard if I get approved for the home loan I'm seeking. It looks like a lot of brush clearing and new side-hill cutting is not far in the future.

That awesome...congratulations.

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 18:43

You want to adopt a section?

Hog On Ice
2013-02-03, 18:48
+2 for Rock - well done

Bearpaw
2013-02-03, 19:34
You want to adopt a section?

+2 for Rock - well done

That's why I mentioned it.

We're working on a place in Benton, about 9 miles to Reliance, and about 3 miles from the spot in the picture if I don't mind bush whacking over a 1500 foot ridge.

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 19:38
I know the area in general, nothing specific. There are only two sections in TN/NC that do not have a maintainer assigned, but there are sections that are covered by someone that has another section. Here is the page: http://www.bmta.org/SectionMileages.php

You have a good knowledge of the BMT, so you know where these places are.

Something else to mention, the guy that maintains this particular section in question is recovering from heart surgery. So there are some of his family members helping to cover it while he is out.

Bearpaw
2013-02-03, 20:00
That awesome...congratulations.

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bearpaw
2013-02-03, 20:01
I know the area in general, nothing specific. There are only two sections in TN/NC that do not have a maintainer assigned, but there are sections that are covered by someone that has another section. Here is the page: http://www.bmta.org/SectionMileages.php

You have a good knowledge of the BMT, so you know where these places are.

Something else to mention, the guy that maintains this particular section in question is recovering from heart surgery. So there are some of his family members helping to cover it while he is out.

Let me know what you hear about the work trip. I will do my best to be available for it.

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 20:16
I will. I'm heading down Tuesday to look at it if you aren't teaching.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Bearpaw
2013-02-03, 20:44
Tuesday I turn in state assessment portfolios for my guys who are too low functioning to take the regular state tests. These bloated monsters have owned my existence for the last month, so I'm glad to get rid of them.

JAK
2013-02-03, 21:10
Tuesday I turn in state assessment portfolios for my guys who are too low functioning to take the regular state tests. These bloated monsters have owned my existence for the last month, so I'm glad to get rid of them.You do mean the portfolios, right?

Bearpaw
2013-02-04, 21:03
You do mean the portfolios, right?

Yes. 28 pages for each student, full of graphs and sample lessons and yada yada yada gets old.

My kids are the best part of my job.

JAK
2013-02-05, 06:31
:-)
Hope you get that property. I heard it has an awesome backyard and you'll be a great neighbour.