PDA

View Full Version : William "Yo-Yo" Martin

Jester
2013-02-03, 19:17
Came across something interesting. Some of you may remember a guy named "Yo-Yo" who was posting videos on YouTube on a page called iconhiker. Caused a big stink with his review of Standing Bear Farm, a video he removed before taking down the iconhiker page entirely.

Now he has a new page, imaginationicon, where you can find this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxqFlzmB5pE

. . . in which he makes a big deal of "surviving" the trail. Even though he apparently quits in town in what looks like Erwin, with a litany of excuses. Interestingly, he claims he, "wasn't successful the first time, was able to complete it the second time." Even more interestingly, he says he "only hiked a completion, and sorry to say I didn't film it," which is why there's no footage of it on YouTube.

He is supposedly going to hike the CDT this year and make a documentary of it.

I call bullshit.

This guy didn't finish the AT and not film any of it. He was filming every frickin' day of his failed attempt. He's not the kind of guy to do something without figuring out a way to draw attention to himself. I have a feeling he likes the idea of hiking a lot more than he likes actually hiking, and that's fine. That's probably most people. But until I see some proof that he actually hiked the whole AT, I pretty much think he's a fraud. And I'll think the same thing about his supposed upcoming CDT hike.

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 19:31
Doesn't sound like anything I would be interested in. Anyone that portrays the AT as some sort of Xtream sport or takes 70 minutes for a video that only covers to Erwin is not someone I'm likely to pay attention to.

Lugnut
2013-02-03, 20:04
At least his trail name suits him.

Hog On Ice
2013-02-03, 20:13
it does? I would have thought Ying Yang would have been more appropriate

Jester
2013-02-03, 20:43
At least his trail name suits him.

In some of his early YouTube posts he claimed he was doing a Yo-Yo of the AT.

SGT Rock
2013-02-03, 20:53
Did he actually finish, or does he just consider it conquered?

Jester
2013-02-03, 21:29
Did he actually finish, or does he just consider it conquered?

At the beginning of one of the CDT trailers he's posted, he claims he went back and completed the rest of the trail. Doubtful.

MonkeyBoy
2013-02-04, 00:04
If I remember correctly, he was complaining in one of his videos about the ATC needing to plan the route better, because it had too many ups and downs.

Guess it should be planned on the flat mountains known as fields.

Superman
2013-02-04, 00:32
If I remember correctly, he was complaining in one of his videos about the ATC needing to plan the route better, because it had too many ups and downs.

It's true....there are a lot of ups and downs.

Hog On Ice
2013-02-04, 07:04
sort of like the rest of life in a way

Superman
2013-02-04, 07:13
I used to struggle with the up hills but it's all down hill now.

Law Dawg (ret)
2013-02-04, 12:30

Maybe talking about his sex life? :biggrin:

Mags
2013-02-05, 15:00

HE could just hike I25 in Colorado and New Mexico for a more steady grade on the CDT. :)

Bulldawg
2013-02-11, 10:47

he could just hike i25 in colorado and new mexico for a more steady grade on the cdt. :)