PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles as spreader bars for hammock

Hog On Ice
2003-12-01, 11:12
Just a casual thought but what do ya'll think of the possibility of using one's adjustable hiking poles as spreader bars in a hammock? The thought here is to keep the sides of the hammock mostly away from the sides of the sleeping bag permitting the sides of the bag to maintain loft and/or keep the sides of the hammock away from shoulders or legs. As to the technique I am thinking of two fabric "cups" on each side and each end of the hammock to hold the trekking poles - put the poles in and adjust length for the desired spread.

cldphoto
2003-12-08, 13:14
I'd make sure that you had a good, solid cap for the pointy ends of the poles. With all of the shifting around that I do in my HH, I can easily see a trekking pole poking through both a fabric cap and my hammock wall.

youngblood
2003-12-14, 11:11
Originally posted by cldphoto
I'd make sure that you had a good, solid cap for the pointy ends of the poles. With all of the shifting around that I do in my HH, I can easily see a trekking pole poking through both a fabric cap and my hammock wall.

Very good point, but you can reduce the risk of damage. My Leki poles have three sections. You could remove the bottom section with the point and just use the upper two sections for the spreader bar.

Youngblood

cldphoto
2003-12-15, 12:49
Originally posted by youngblood
Very good point, but you can reduce the risk of damage. My Leki poles have three sections. You could remove the bottom section with the point and just use the upper two sections for the spreader bar.

Youngblood

If removing sections meant that you would have a hollow ended pole, I'd still be worried about the damage the metal edges could do to the fabric walls. You don't realize how much you move at night, and sleeping in a hammock magnifies that movement. That's a lot of friction and pressure you're creating betwen your pole and your hammock.