PDA

View Full Version : BMT Thru-Hiker permits for Smokys?

Hog On Ice
2013-02-17, 12:31
Since the conversion to the new backcountry permit system I am wondering if the AT thru-hiker permit approach could also be used for the BMT. I do know that as stated the AT thru-hiker permit is not valid for the BMT but the question is whether the GRSM folks could be persuaded to create a new similar type of permit for the BMT thru-hikers.

Superman
2013-02-17, 13:01
Since the conversion to the new backcountry permit system I am wondering if the AT thru-hiker permit approach could also be used for the BMT. I do know that as stated the AT thru-hiker permit is not valid for the BMT but the question is whether the GRSM folks could be persuaded to create a new similar type of permit for the BMT thru-hikers.

I didn't need much encouragement to avoid hiking the Smokies. The permit system is enogh to make me avoid the BMT as well.

Skidsteer
2013-02-17, 19:04
I didn't need much encouragement to avoid hiking the Smokies. The permit system is enogh to make me avoid the BMT as well.

+1.

Seen it already. They can suck it until they pass these costs to the horse people and car campers where they belong.

Asking hikers to pay these fees is like asking tennis players to pay for goose shit removal from the golf course.

Lugnut
2013-02-17, 19:35
I couldn't get out of the Smokies fast enough. Torn up trails, dead trees, horses and too many people. The BMT sounds better but I'm not paying to do it.

Superman
2013-02-17, 19:41
+1.

Seen it already. They can suck it until they pass these costs to the horse people and car campers where they belong.

Asking hikers to pay these fees is like asking tennis players to pay for goose shit removal from the golf course.

Eggzakly, I may move the southern terminus to Damascus.

Roots
2013-02-18, 09:13
The smokies will never be walked by me again. As far as I'm concerned I will stop at Fontana and pick up at davenport gap. Been there done that not again.

I'm with Skids. Horse riders and others need to pay their fair share. Especially since they're the ones that were tearing up the trails from what I saw.

SGT Rock
2013-02-18, 13:32
We have been lobbying for thru-hiker recognition by the permit system for a long time. As it stands they don't plan to give us that same status. I doubt they ever will.