PDA

View Full Version : Dream Pack

SGT Rock
2013-03-05, 13:48
For now I've just been referring to this as my "Dream Pack" because, believe it or not, I woke up from a dream early one morning where I had a pack that was sort of a hybrid Gearskin/Elemental Horizons Kalais. I tried to go back to sleep, but started thinking about dimensions, sewing patterns, bonding methods, etc. So since I couldn't bet back to sleep, I got up and started sketching the thing out and looking at the scraps I had around the house. The material used in this was almost all scraps from other projects. I did have to buy some hardware such as buckles, straps, ladder locks, etc.
The back of the pack, the exterior pocket is more like a Gearskin. The Gearskin parts are made from Dyneema X. The brown Dyneema X is a heaver thread count and is in the few places I figured would get the most friction wear like the bottom, the hip belt pockets, and the bottoms of the side pockets. The cammo is some of the 1.1 rip stop I got in a group buy and made some hammocks from. The panels are all remnants from those hammocks. For the exterior pockets I went with the 1.1 at the top, some Dyneema X at the bottoms, and a strip of mesh to give ventilation to the area in case something in the pocket went in there wet like my tarp or rain jacket.

In my dream, the Gearskin had panels over the sides instead of being open. This prevents stuff from falling out the sides if you load it sloppy or in a hurry, and makes a good backing for the side pockets. The side compression straps are done slightly different, at an angle so that they pull "up" to the top of the shoulder strap area. I also combined the lower straps so that there is one pull point to compress the two lower strap areas.

The mesh is a Lycra wicking mesh, it is on the back pannel and on the insides of the hip belt and shoulder straps. The shoulder straps are shaped off the Kalais pattern as is the hip belt. I sewed the pockets directly to the hip belt to save weight on the elastic and other hardware that the Elemental Horizons packs use. I over estimated the material for the belts, so they are a little extra large.

The top rolls similar to the Kalais, but also has a draw cord in case you put something in there that prevents the roll top for closing. The roll top attachment points buckle in using Dutch quilt clips and line locks for tensioning.

The pack has an internal pad pocket that mimics the Kalai's, and there is a stay system similar to the Kalais. In my dream, the pack used a carbon fiber stay frame, and this has been one of the design hard points. I ended up very closely copying the stay from my Kalais, but used carbon fiber arrow shafts for the majority of the length. I cut gutter nails down to make the bends for the joints, and glued the entire thing together with JB weld. It took some trimming tweaking to make it work.

The pack as you see it in the top two pictures had 20 pounds of food and gear in it, and it carries like a dream - very much like a Kalais. The third picture has a pillow stuffed in it to represent a pack with extra gear/food in it and show the extension capacity. I guesstimate the total capacity of the pack at about 2,900 CI or 47.5 liters. The impressive part is the weight of the pack. The pack itself weighs in at 13.57 ounces, and the stay/frame is 2.03 ounces. So a total of 15.59 ounces for the entire set up.

This has been my hardest build ever. I have a total new found respect for people that sew packs professionally.

I've got some materials left over from this still, and have a few things I learned in the process of building it. So I ordered some more hardware and I'm going to build a smaller "assault pack" version of it when the parts get here. Something for day hiking and UL summer trips.

Lugnut
2013-03-05, 14:06
If you go into business I'll buy one.

sheepdog
2013-03-05, 14:10
If you go into business I'll buy one.
:dito:

sheepdog
2013-03-05, 14:10
Can you tell me where to buy that 1.1 ripstop in camo?

SGT Rock
2013-03-05, 14:22
I'm not going into business. Sewing that pack about drove me nuts.

I got that cammo stuff on a group buy over at Hammock Forums. I have no idea where they got it from. But if you keep up with this forum: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83

They often have deals on stuff.

Hog On Ice
2013-03-05, 14:28
Can you tell me where to buy that 1.1 ripstop in camo?

I got some that was that weight or lighter from OWF - they say its 1.5 but that's a lie - see http://owfinc.com/fabrics.html and select ripstop breathable - their order number is "RIPB1.5 Univ"

sheepdog
2013-03-05, 14:45
thanks HOI

Hog On Ice
2013-03-05, 14:59
de nada - for what it is worth I found the fabric to be too light for a chair but it made a good stuff sack

SGT Rock
2013-03-05, 17:50
My wife is here to help with photography, so here it is with my Spring/Fall gear and 3 days of food.

Skidsteer
2013-03-05, 17:55
Looks good.

john pickett
2013-03-05, 18:05
Sarge, you've come a long, long way from your laundry bag pack.

sheepdog
2013-03-05, 18:07
I think I have the red head convinced on showing me how to sew. I may just try to put a few things together.

SGT Rock
2013-03-05, 18:12
Start small and work your way up. I wouldn't do this as my first project.

sheepdog
2013-03-05, 18:14
Start small and work your way up. I wouldn't do this as my first project.

check

I used to date a girl who was a seamstress. I left her when she didn't mend strait.

SGT Rock
2013-03-12, 11:56
I'm taking the pack up to Spence Field today to inaugurate it. I hope it holds together.

rhjanes
2013-03-13, 10:52
My dream pack......easy. first it reads my mind. Then it magiacally tele-ports itself to the campsite that it read from my mind and is awaiting my arrival.
Seems straightforward enough......

Looks good there Rock. Hope it holds up.

Superman
2013-03-13, 11:46
My dream pack is made of canvas with a steel frame....just like the good old days. Oh wait, that might be a nightmare.:gob_bsmil

SGT Rock
2013-03-13, 16:13
Early American torture device.

As I suspected, the hip belt is a little overly long. I've got to shorten it up.

It was 16F on Spence Field this morning. BRrrrrrr.....

Hog On Ice
2013-03-20, 19:33
yeah - it was rather cold at Panthertown too on the same night - fortunately it warmed up some for the following days

Tin Man
2013-03-20, 20:23
Early American torture device.

As I suspected, the hip belt is a little overly long. I've got to shorten it up.

It was 16F on Spence Field this morning. BRrrrrrr.....

Rumours in CT about the south being a warm place to retire to don't seem to be holding up....

Bearpaw
2013-03-20, 20:26
Rumours in CT about the south being a warm place to retire to don't seem to be holding up....

There aren't any towns at 5000 feet.

It was about 33 down in the valley.

Tin Man
2013-03-20, 20:37
There aren't any towns at 5000 feet.

It was about 33 down in the valley.

Ct folk would not consider 33 acceptable for a move south. Guess that's why Florida is filling up.

Skidsteer
2013-03-20, 20:46
Ct folk would not consider 33 acceptable for a move south. Guess that's why Florida is filling up.

Speaking on behalf of Georgia, we're OK with that. CT and FL folk are probably a good match.

Big Mac
2013-03-20, 20:55
Speaking on behalf of Georgia, we're OK with that. CT and FL folk are probably a good match.

Lmao

Tin Man
2013-03-20, 20:59

Works for me too. I'm moving to nh. Superman has been asking.

Superman
2013-03-20, 21:00

lmao also

Loneoak
2013-03-21, 02:23

funny......good one

john pickett
2013-03-21, 10:09
It would be fun to find how many Florida residents were born in places like Connecticut, Maine, etc.

Tin Man
2013-03-21, 10:15
I was born in Georgia. Just sayin

Hog On Ice
2013-03-21, 10:16
and went to CT to become a Damn Rebel

Superman
2013-03-21, 10:55
It would be fun to find how many Florida residents were born in places like Connecticut, Maine, etc.

They've used Florida as bait for Connecticut people for years. Thery've filled up Florida with those kinds of people and now they are digging a trench across the top of the state. They will give it a kick soon and Florida will float down to and become part of Cuba. 8)

john pickett
2013-03-21, 16:13
Forida Gator Bait?